As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google Chrome vs Firefox

12346»

• OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Opening Chrome, typing "youtu"+ Tab then making a video search on youtube in record time is so fucking awesome.

Firefox and Opera had this for years, except you had to set the shortcut manually. Chrome made it startlingly obvious by just doing it automatically for you and saving sites' search URLs automatically, making everything a shit-tonne less painful.

You can change the shortcut in Chrome, too, as you can in other browsers. Usually, I have single or double letters. d for Dictionary.com, dt for Thesaurus, w for Wikipedia, yt for YouTube, etc. You can also use it to set keyboard shortcuts for websites. So gm for Gmail, ch takes GameKnot for chess games, etc.

When I discovered that, I had the biggest grin on my face.

I know that, I used it on FF. But I dunno, it seems more magical and less nerdy on Chrome.

I argue that allowing sites to declare the search and do it automatically makes it a completely different feature. Only a tiny subset of users will ever set up keyboard shortcuts, where as everyone gets it in chrome. There is also the consistency thing, the way chrome does it everyone has the same shortcut.

I can't understand why firefox still doesn't respect that bit of metadata.

orthanc
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm ready to migrate to Chrome entirely after having used Firefox for like...shit feels like a decade now. I'm sick of the constant Flash crashes and other problems with the browser lately; and now when a youtube is imbedded into a page on the forums it totally dicks up Firefox and nothing works.

Anyway, there's two things I need to know.

1) How do set up Chrome to sync bookmarks and such? It's easy in Firefox, but the settings for Chrome feel very foreign to me. I've read you can do it.

2) is there a way to get an (ideally integrated) search box in Chrome like Firefox has, where you can just dropdown from a list of search engines to quickly search a specific website?

EDIT: oh, three questions I guess.

3) is there a way to change Chrome to allow you to drag and drop a tab into your bookmarks toolbar folders like on Firefox? That'd be nice.

Just log in and it'll sync. You can set exactly what to sync in the settings. I believe sync everything is the default.

The address bar is also the search bar. You specify search engine by typing it and pressing tab. I don't think there's a way to get it as a drop down. It works with auto-complete, so you can just press W tab for searching Wikipedia (assuming that's your first auto-complete result for W).

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    How the fuck do you guys use so many tabs? I only ever have 5-6 tabs open at once, and only from the same website. Different sites get different windows, not different tabs.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I, at the moment, have...13 tabs open. It's one click to get to a tab, and you can see what's open with no clicks. I think those are the main perks, really.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I can see all my open windows without clicks anyway on the taskbar. different strokes and all that I suppose!

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I can see all my open windows without clicks anyway on the taskbar. different strokes and all that I suppose!
    Your way is shameful and wrong.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    How the fuck do you guys use so many tabs? I only ever have 5-6 tabs open at once, and only from the same website. Different sites get different windows, not different tabs.

I regularly have two to three windows open at once with ten to thirty tabs open in each. First window is usually mail, calendar and things I need to follow up on. Second is usually feeds and articles to read. Any windows after that are usually looking up certain things. So if I suddenly decide to look up how to make, I don't know, hollandaise sauce, that'll be window three (with all its tabs hollandaise-related). If I also want to know how to make a papier-mâché bowler hat, that'll be a new window.

No one else ever seems to understand my system. But bitches, this is how I roll.

I don't understand the idea of loading tons of tabs at once.if I want to read CNN, penny arcade, then another news site I just go to them one after the other

We clearly have different browsing habits. That second window is usually me loading up Google Reader and opening the most interesting items from that day. Which is usually between twenty and fifty items. Then I just slowly read through them.

The fact that my desktop is a kind of half-HTPC sitting in the lounge doesn't help. My partner will often load up her tabs as well if she's not at her computer, and so will any guests we have around. That's usually when it goes past four windows.

What are you on, Windows XP or something? Anyways though, the advantage still is that if you have other programs running (which you typically would, I'd think), then that takes up space on your browsing. And if you are doing things in other programs, it's a bit irritating to have 15 other windows taking up space on your task bar.

Unless I misunderstood?

Steam profile
    I am on windows 7. I don't group program buttons on the taskbar.
    I really don't have that many programs running at one time.

Maybe 3-4 at once, including web browser windows? I tend to close programs when I'm not going to use them for a little while, or in the case of stuff like Skype and steam I have them minimized to the system tray

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Often I goto reddit, shop, and research things. I tend to have 40+ browser tabs open at any given time, but I also spend a lot of time in standby (which apparently is not normal)

Browsers take up half or more of my physical memory, in aggregate more than my VMs; I can tune this a bit with plugin management. I cannot say all the tabs I launched I eventually were fruitful.

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how to tweak Chrome's Omnibar to act like Firefox's Awesome Bar? Things I'd like in particular:

1) It needs to learn what I want when I type in a couple letters. If I type in "ba", I want it to automatically highlight Bad Machinery at scarygoround.com (which I go to five times a week) instead of bay12forums.com (which I apparently went to one time).

2) If I type in words instead of a URL I want it to only search my history instead of having the first option be to google it. If I actually want to google something I can set up a 'g' keyword. Alternately I could settle for having the search be second instead of first.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    Often I goto reddit, shop, and research things. I tend to have 40+ browser tabs open at any given time, but I also spend a lot of time in standby (which apparently is not normal)

Browsers take up half or more of my physical memory, in aggregate more than my VMs; I can tune this a bit with plugin management. I cannot say all the tabs I launched I eventually were fruitful.

Bah - that's what swap files are for anyway!

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So how is Firefox looking nowadays? Chrome is now giving me shit with scrolling webpages (no idea why) and I'm getting kind of tired of it flipping out over things.

Firefox is still a fairly solid browser. From my (hopelessly inaccurate) perspective, the Windows version is a wee bit laggier than the Linux version on the same hardware. I mean, you can always alternate between Chrome and Firefox on your machine and see which one you prefer the look/feel/responsiveness of.

There are a few feature differences, too, but I guess they're minor considerations for some. Something Chrome lacks that Firefox has that I really appreciate is bookmark tagging, and Firefox tends to pick up weird search engines a bit better when saving search keywords.

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Firefox screwed up Flash a bit on the previous version (the UI in Youtube took forever to pop up and pause/play) but I think they've fixed it with the current version.

On my desktop, I can't really feel a speed difference between Chrome and Firefox. On a less powerful computer, there might certainly still be one though. Both still have Flash crashes (there's no browser that doesn't) but the thing I really enjoy about Firefox is that when you reopen the browser, it won't try to load every tab at once. It'll only load a tab once you click on it. I'm also one of those people who keeps a bajillion tabs open of articles to read, music to listen to and movies to watch.

Jibba on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yeah the big issue right now is if I try to scroll in Chrome ATM, about half the pages only scroll at 1/2 a line per 'turn' (instead of one page). Like I would have to scroll for 2 minutes just to go from the top of this page to the bottom. I have no idea why it started happening today. (If I hover over the scrollbar while using the mousewheel, it works fine.)

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for Google to fix Chrome breaking Windows 7 Unicode support if you run 64-bit. When your browser, by itself, can break it for everything, it's a little invasive.

No solution yet though. Things like that mean I begrudgingly use Chrome. Maybe it's time to go back to Opera...

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You use non-latin alphabets, right?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I've never had any problem with Chrome with Chinese. I'm honestly not sure if that's what this Unicode thing is about or not though...

Steam profile
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    You use non-latin alphabets, right?

It's the unicode support for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean that breaks. So, file names, Window titles, that sort of thing.
    kime wrote: »
    I've never had any problem with Chrome with Chinese. I'm honestly not sure if that's what this Unicode thing is about or not though...

It's a known issue. Since it's limited to 64-bit, it's unknown whether or not Google will fix it. Probably not, since it's been around for more than a year now. The closest thing is to put a file with a unicode character in the name (火 in my case) and leave it on your desktop, but I like to keep a tidy desktop. That, or you can run unicode in a different English by changing your region settings, but that can cause its own issues.

Synthesis on
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I've tried to get into Chrome a few times, and it seems like a really solid browser, but I will give up my Tree Style Tabs when they are pried from my cold, dead, fingers. It may make me a petulant baby but proper vertical tab support is literally my dealbreaker in web browsers.