As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Wow, my victory over Uber-Ornstein was really unsatisfying.

Mother fucker glitched out. It was down to the wire. I was out of Estus, but Ornstein was close to death. I probably would've won, and it would've been a great feeling. Finally, he used his spear attack where he lifts you into the air and throws you to the ground, and just disappeared. Where did he go? Fuck you, that's where he went. I chilled out for a minute, then got the "Yo dawg, you win" message and my ill-gotten rewards. Fuck, even in victory Dark Souls is an asshole.

Ouch. I guess the game had to make O&S even more mean.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Someone please tell me there's a way to change the control setup on my controller on the PC. This control scheme is the most obnoxious, counter-intuitive one I've used in years.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Really? It feels pretty good to me.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Yeah I dunno, I think it's one of the best (if not the best) action rpg controls of a console game.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Maybe it's different for me because I'm using one of these:
    1995473-9331.jpg

instead of the official X-Box windows controller, but it just feels all kinds of awful.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is there any way to get the Furysword before Sen's Fortress? I'm thinking no, but I really want this sword (I have a Scimitar +10) and I really don't want to traverse Sen's Fortress right now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Dac wrote: »
    1995473-9331.jpg

instead of the official X-Box windows controller, but it just feels all kinds of awful.

How far into the game are you? The control scheme is very awkward and unfamiliar at first, but after awhile it feels very natural.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Is there any way to get the Furysword before Sen's Fortress? I'm thinking no, but I really want this sword (I have a Scimitar +10) and I really don't want to traverse Sen's Fortress right now.

I don't think so. I believe the blacksmith in Anor Londo is the only one that makes weapons out of boss souls.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

You need the giant blacksmith in Anor Lando, so not really.

Meh.

Okay, thanks.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    1995473-9331.jpg

There's an X360 controller emulator out there, I don't know what it's called though. :(

So I've been doing PVP all day today, and so far not a single hacker it seems. I'm happy. Corteous people that bow and all, this is cool.

Also, this might be spoilers in New Londo ruins:
    So, I'm heading there, and who I assume is the NPC with the chainmail in Firelink shrine, is standing there and he attacks me by rolling into the water and dying. Did I miss any important plot points/loot because of him suiciding like this?

edited September 2012
    If you talk to him after Creepy Weirdo Serpent That Eats your Stuff comes, he'll say something like not liking the smell and maybe it was time to do something about it. NPCs going hollow actually occurs semi regularly, sometimes depending on what you do. So he went down to the ruins to get away from the smell and went hollow.

Corpekata on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    He doesn't drop anything useful right? Cause he just fell into the abyss.

This forest covenant mission is hard, since the people who allow themselves to be invaded all have nice high end gear :( There's this hilarious duo who throw rocks and say things like "HELLO" and "IM SORRY".

They're pretty fun, but unstoppable.

Also! I'm really happy. I went back to the undead asylum, and the black knight there dropped a black knight sword! Just what I wanted! I LOVE THAT SWORD.

Satsumomo on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    1995473-9331.jpg

Are you sure the controls aren't bound wrong because of your third party controller? You'll have to use a program to emulate the 360 controller if it is.

I found the controls in this game to be pretty intuitive and natural. The only thing that's kind of awkward is sprinting while moving the camera.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Lork wrote: »
    1995473-9331.jpg

Are you sure the controls aren't bound wrong because of your third party controller? You'll have to use a program to emulate the 360 controller if it is.

I found the controls in this game to be pretty intuitive and natural. The only thing that's kind of awkward is sprinting while moving the camera.

The shoulder buttons on the Logitech gamepads feel weird, is probably the biggest problem he's having. That specific controller works fine with the game, as it's an Xinput controller, and thus perfectly emulates a 3shitty controller.

I'd recommend switching to a gamepad you're more comfortable with. I use my PS3 one!

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Yeah I dunno, I think it's one of the best (if not the best) action rpg controls of a console game.

Agreed. I like that every attack move has weight and consequence to it.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    1995473-9331.jpg

That's probably the problem. Let me guess. Is SQUARE your "Confirm" button?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

This forest covenant mission is hard, since the people who allow themselves to be invaded all have nice high end gear :( There's this hilarious duo who throw rocks and say things like "HELLO" and "IM SORRY".

They're pretty fun, but unstoppable.

Also! I'm really happy. I went back to the undead asylum, and the black knight there dropped a black knight sword! Just what I wanted! I LOVE THAT SWORD.

My luck there is all kinds of wrong. On my pyromancer and sorcerer, I got two of the things each time. On my strength char? Nope, nothing.

Got the dragon bone fist. The uppercut is hilariously slow - I can't imagine ever landing it in pvp, barring lots of poise. Oh well, the main reason I wanted it was the high damage (for such a low-stamina weapon) and enchantability. Next stop - catacombs for the darkmoon ring and rite and such. (At which point I'll go off that boss for Sunlight Blade, which is what I intend to be putting on the fist - massive LIGHTNINGZZZZ per hit)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Ok so I just cleared Sen's Fortress... Somebody mentioned there's a really good weapon in there to replace my Drake Sword, but I never found one... So I looked it up online because I'm getting kind of sick of the Drake Sword.
    Apparently that Mimic chest before the spike-elevator had it... Well, I didn't know the elevator shaft was there, and accidentally fell down it while fighting the mimic... Who jumped down after me. And he doesn't respawn. So I can never ever get the lightning spear on this character.

So, what the hell weapon should I try to get now?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Ok so I just cleared Sen's Fortress... Somebody mentioned there's a really good weapon in there to replace my Drake Sword, but I never found one... So I looked it up online because I'm getting kind of sick of the Drake Sword.
    Apparently that Mimic chest before the spike-elevator had it... Well, I didn't know the elevator shaft was there, and accidentally fell down it while fighting the mimic... Who jumped down after me. And he doesn't respawn. So I can never ever get the lightning spear on this character.

So, what the hell weapon should I try to get now?

It's pretty much the lowest damage variant of that weapon you could get, don't sweat it. Your best bet now is to to take a trip to the Catacombs and find the blacksmith there, who will be able to craft you a +5 fire weapon for 11 green shards (easily farmed from the leeches in Blighttown).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    So I finally managed to beat Orestein and Smough. Killed Orestein first, Smough second. Then I went to check out what armor I could purchase from beating it and...

The...modelers/designers did NOT think through Smough's armor that well.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    So I finally managed to beat Orestein and Smough. Killed Orestein first, Smough second. Then I went to check out what armor I could purchase from beating it and...

They're punishing you for doing the easy version of that boss fight.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    Behemoth wrote: »

Hey. I don't have any use for the dragonslayer lance this playthrough anyway. Not going for a dex build.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

That's the easy version? The super version of the spear guy is much easier to lure into pillars.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So the room right before ragon Slayer Ornstein & Executioner Smough, do the big giant guards respawn? Cause I just cleared them out and it was a pain in the ass, I'm debating just going back to the bonfire to regenerate my junk, or just continuing forward if I'd have to fight them again.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    So the room right before ragon Slayer Ornstein & Executioner Smough, do the big giant guards respawn? Cause I just cleared them out and it was a pain in the ass, I'm debating just going back to the bonfire to regenerate my junk, or just continuing forward if I'd have to fight them again.

They respawn

You can summon Solaire to help you kill them, he'll distract them so that completely invincible shield doesn't get in the way.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    They respawn. If you make a boss run you can pretty easily just juke them and get into the fog. They're a pretty annoying hassle to kill each time. Only worth it it if you're trying to summon Soltaire to help you.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    If you have a decent bow you can shoot them in the head 5 times from a medium distance away, they won't retaliate.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I actually kill them a lot. 3000 souls per each, with a chance of Titanite chunks, is pretty nice.

As a trick - you want to get between their legs and poke at them. That way the shield doesn't annoy you as much. Just look out for the force shockwave.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

Yeah, I'm not really using any loot from Sen's at the moment. Still using my Magic Pike for general mobs, Magic Claymore and Zweihander for higher damage against tough enemies.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk3aX4HxM5k&feature=plcp

I dunno if it's because it's late and I'm tired, but I cannot stop laughing.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk3aX4HxM5k&feature=plcp

I dunno if it's because it's late and I'm tired, but I cannot stop laughing.

Nah, that's legitimately hilarious. Good to see sportsmanship is alive and well in these dark times.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

They respawn

You can summon Solaire to help you kill them, he'll distract them so that completely invincible shield doesn't get in the way.

If I'm summoning Solaire for the boss fight I plink them with 80 arrows to kill them. Solaire has an unhealthy fascination with getting killed by them which is annoying.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I'm having the same problems with being a forest hunter, I just keep getting ported to these same few people.

I thought it would be a lot of fun, but it really isn't.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Something I always did in both Souls games: Learn an area in Soul/Hollow form helping player(s). Same with learning the boss. Then go body form and summon two player helpers.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Wow, so rusty. Lost 4 humanity to Stray and Quelaag! The Xbox controller doesn't help though.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    This game has consumed my... soul.

The dark fantasy setting and unforgiving hack and slash combat reminds me of Blade of Darkness, a game I played the heck out of back in the day.

edited September 2012
    I only used Drake's Sword for a little while. I went to a Claymore +5 and then a Zweihander +7 pretty quickly. Sometimes I switch in the Dragon Kng Greataxe.

I may go back to farming in Blighttown soon but I fucking hate Blighttown. Beat the boss with no issues at all. Then I died on my way out and lost 30k souls and 10humanity.

I actually skipped almost all of Blighttown (used the VoD entrance). Anything useful in there?

Drez on
    Oh yeah, I couldn't beat Stray. Cleared out that entire area of loot and other creatures but I tried Stray like 40 times. Couldn't do it.

Doesn't help that my VIT is 10 while my STR is 41. Kind of built my character stupidly.

Humanity farming question:
    Are the rats under Hellkite still the best farming location for Humanity?

Also, how the hell do I kill Hellkite? None of the old cheap strategies work :)

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

That's the easy version? The super version of the spear guy is much easier to lure into pillars.

For melee characters, yeah. I haven't tried doing Ornstein first, but vanilla Smough is FAR easier to kill than uber Ornstein and I'm assuming the moveset doesn't change terribly. I know there are cheap ways for ranged/magic characters to kill Ornstein, but that didn't exactly help me very much. :)

This discussion has been closed.