As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I think the girl in front of me is a furry

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    happyland

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    dexter's a cookie

That boy needs therapy
    I know that line isn't from Frontier Psychiatrist but I always think it is

man we make our own happyland man

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    humans are terrible

robots are also terrible

bears are the best

the bearst, some may say

broken image link
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I wish I could watch MST3K hat work

I have over two hours left here and very little to do

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    humans are terrible

robots are also terrible

bears are the best

the bearst, some may say

No one would say Bearst.

Except to be difficult to me saying that.

OMAC%252BLIVES.JPG

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I wish I could watch MST3K hat work

I have over two hours left here and very little to do

I recommand reading Gizmodo, if you can avoid the articles about how COOL it is to be a NERD

and also Futility Closet is a rad timewaster

wY6K6Jb.gif
    300px-Kamandi_23.jpg

kamandi and the adventures of don't boat while choomin

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I enjoy films/stories wherein a previously normal character becomes, in a sequel, the embodiment of death and destruction, a demonic god unhinged from reality and transformed into a cosmic force.

Max Payne 3, the new Rambo, there are others but I cant remember them. Recommend them to me thread.

Im hoping Taken 2 does this (even though it was almost there already)

Prohass wrote: »
    I enjoy films/stories wherein a previously normal character becomes, in a sequel, the embodiment of death and destruction, a demonic god unhinged from reality and transformed into a cosmic force.

Max Payne 3, the new Rambo, there are others but I cant remember them. Recommend them to me thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnations_of_Immortality

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    everybody who likes comics

read The Shade

literally the single best thing DC put out since the latest reboot

wY6K6Jb.gif
    I mean look at this cover

look at it

1331551079_the-shade-05-of-12-2012.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
    (it started before the reboot)

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    "men have killed for fish before..."

just slipping that in there like killing for fish is an everyday accepted fact of life

Crimson King on

oh really

well ok then

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what, like, killing another person for their fish

can't you just get your own fish

not enough water on the planet for you

PNk1Ml4.png

oh really

well ok then

batwoman has been pretty good i guess

also i guess people really liked the court of owls stuff

i thought it was boring though

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Skylark wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    i hope by the time i die uploading your mind into a robot body is a thing that happens.

I probably wouldn't do it because robots, but it'd be a neat thing to see.

my baseless future prediction is that you will be able to copy your mind, but you can't just transfer your brain

Well, you'd be the only person that would know the difference, and you'd be dead. Or would you?

and this is what sometimes keeps me up at night.

I don't see any way it could be done with a single continuous consciousness

you'd die and that's that, and the robot wakes up with a copy of your mind

no difference from other peoples' perspective, just that you're not going to be around to see it

Neuromancer sort of did this with Dixie Flatline's personality ROM, and it's a damn scary thought.

This kind of stuff is what scares me the most, but it is also something that I have recognised to be beyond what I can truly fully understand, and might even be biologically unable to ever do.

A continuous consciousness is pretty much just an illusion that the mind makes for itself. It has become my belief that in a very real way everyone dies every time they go to sleep. There is a gap in continuity during which the brain processes and cleans up stuff, and when you wake up you are literally a different person, if only slightly. Almost as scary is the fact that the part of the rewriting process you are actually somewhat conscious of, dreams, are almost always scoured from the mind within minutes.

I try to console myself with the thought that my inevitable death and utter oblivion is not as big of a deal as I think it is since the process of change is so constant that almost nothing of the person I am today will remain at that point. It is usually not very effective.

Still totes want to have a robot body/sexy clone body/be uploaded into a computer one day. The last one seems to be the best shot of something akin to true trancendence/immortality, since the process could be completely continuous. Just plug the brain into a computer,and gradually transfer more and more functions into the hardware until the brain simply becomes obsolete and then discard it.

• SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    "men have killed for fish before..."

just slipping that in there like killing for fish is an everyday accepted fact of life

I'm reading that as "at the behest of fish", which instantly makes that comic much more awesome.

also i guess people really liked the court of owls stuff

and I have no idea why

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Demon Knights is a fun little series also

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnations_of_Immortality

I read those in junior high and I remember liking them.

JtgVX0H.png
    archie has been really really really good lately

did that gender-reversed Archie drawn by the menage a 3 artist ever get released

how was that

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I don't think immortality is a particularly desirable goal, certainly not on a large scale

PNk1Ml4.png
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    didn't the Flatline wind up kinda getting what he wanted anyway?

did that gender-reversed Archie drawn by the menage a 3 artist ever get released

how was that

yeah it did and it was super-dee-duper good

i've been reading eerie cuties on and off since it started and i kinda plotzed when i realized she did art for that issue

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I don't think immortality is a particularly desirable goal, certainly not on a large scale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt6nwvGJiN8

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Immortality is a life well lived

maaaan

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    Yea, from what I recall he asked Case to erase the ROM when they were done with it.

would you rather be interesting or live forever in mediocrity

how was that

yeah it did and it was super-dee-duper good

i've been reading eerie cuties on and off since it started and i kinda plotzed when i realized she did art for that issue

that's nice

good to see her getting some work in the mainstream

wouldn't mind seeing a "Mary Jane Loves Spider-Man"-esque comic with her as an artist

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Yea, from what I recall he asked Case to erase the ROM when they were done with it.
    well i haven't read that book in forever but my understanding of the resolution is that Neuromancer uploaded Dixie's consciousness into the matrix so that he could hang out with the merged AI and the copied Linda Lee

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    i hope by the time i die uploading your mind into a robot body is a thing that happens.

I probably wouldn't do it because robots, but it'd be a neat thing to see.

my baseless future prediction is that you will be able to copy your mind, but you can't just transfer your brain

Well, you'd be the only person that would know the difference, and you'd be dead. Or would you?

and this is what sometimes keeps me up at night.

I don't see any way it could be done with a single continuous consciousness

you'd die and that's that, and the robot wakes up with a copy of your mind

no difference from other peoples' perspective, just that you're not going to be around to see it

Neuromancer sort of did this with Dixie Flatline's personality ROM, and it's a damn scary thought.

This kind of stuff is what scares me the most, but it is also something that I have recognised to be beyond what I can truly fully understand, and might even be biologically unable to ever do.

A continuous consciousness is pretty much just an illusion that the mind makes for itself. It has become my belief that in a very real way everyone dies every time they go to sleep. There is a gap in continuity during which the brain processes and cleans up stuff, and when you wake up you are literally a different person, if only slightly. Almost as scary is the fact that the part of the rewriting process you are actually somewhat conscious of, dreams, are almost always scoured from the mind within minutes.

I try to console myself with the thought that my inevitable death and utter oblivion is not as big of a deal as I think it is since the process of change is so constant that almost nothing of the person I am today will remain at that point. It is usually not very effective.

Still totes want to have a robot body/sexy clone body/be uploaded into a computer one day. The last one seems to be the best shot of something akin to true trancendence/immortality, since the process could be completely continuous. Just plug the brain into a computer,and gradually transfer more and more functions into the hardware until the brain simply becomes obsolete and then discard it.

They say that time is discrete, not continuous, with each time step being 1 Planck time unit.

If so, there is a gap in continuity 1.8e43 times per second. Every time, your consciousness dies and is replaced with a new one that has just a tiny bit more memory than the previous one.

broken image link
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Immortality is creating something in this world that will carry on the things you hold most important about yourself

Like dick jokes

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    this is why i have hypnophobia

This discussion has been closed.