As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    You can view them, but all the subforums are locked.

I don't get any errors trying to make new threads in any of the forums.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    So we're not getting that tell-all from the devs about storylines / lore points that didn't get covered.

Not on the forums anyway. They'll probably do it somewhere else.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    If you're a VIP you can see/do everything. If you're not, which more and more people are becoming, then you have rather restricted access to the forums.

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    If the forum does go down, and we *don't* get that Lore Resolution, I'd highly recommend you check out the bible linked earlier
    (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BypRfkMsgQOiUXJLUzY4QlhtN2M/edit?pli=1)
    It has some awesome fucking bits in it, including this little bit in the Peregrine Island section:
    "In the years following the war, the prosperity enjoyed by much of Paragon City seemed
    to elude Peregrine Island. There was little interest in serious development of the island,
    though it remained a popular resort community. Even that suffered in the early 1970s, the
    tragic result of attacks by what is today believed to be a gigantic Great White shark.
    While the creature was destroyed by Peregrine Island’s sheriff and a local oceanographer,"

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Those docs are a lot less interesting considering they were last updated in 2004. Anything in there that hasn't been put into the game by this point might as well be fanfic for all the likelihood that it would've shown up one day.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Did anyone else get emails on September 1st from Arenanet, the Guild Wars NCSoft company, about an email change for your account even though you don't have one there? Is this some goofery from the CoH closure since NCSoft has their own universal account?

• KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    A ton of people got that Hen, the GW2 launch has been a gigantic clusterfuck.

doomrider_sigPA.png
    I just assumed it was a hacking attempt.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Same here, but I knew that NCSoft had a big week of releasing one game and brutally executing another so figured there was a chance of legitimacy. Especially since the notice went to one email address and the confirmation arrived at the same one.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else get emails on September 1st from Arenanet, the Guild Wars NCSoft company, about an email change for your account even though you don't have one there? Is this some goofery from the CoH closure since NCSoft has their own universal account?

According to ArenaNet, three people with access to massive lists of email addresses just tried ones at random trying to change their account names to see if anyone had a valid Guild Wars 2 account.
    Yesterday, three malicious users each changed the account names of their own Guild Wars 2 accounts thousands of times, scanning through lists of email addresses stolen from other games and web sites, presumably to determine which email addresses were available (not already used for a Guild Wars 2 account) and which were taken. It obviously shouldn't be possible to change your own account name so frequently. We temporarily disabled account name changes and have now restored but limited them to prevent this.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Why is it possible to change your account name at all?

That's the kind of thing you should need to submit a ticket to do.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Why is it possible to change your account name at all?

That's the kind of thing you should need to submit a ticket to do.

As of the fairly recent past you couldn't at all for arena.net; I had no idea they ever made it possible.

My account name is an email address that no longer exists for a domain I owned back when I played GW. I tried to get support to change it on several occasions, and while they have my correct contact e-mail now, the refused to change my account name despite the e-mail associated simply not existing anymore.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The CoX Facebook page just posted
    We're going to fire up the Twitch channel this morning at 10:30 AM Pacific. Come and join us!

I wonder if this is a real thing - news or an explanation or something - or some creepy automated ghost.

rRwz9.gif
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, saw the same thing on G+, and there's some community folks in chat saying that there will definitely be a broadcast. I haven't caught anything about content yet.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • GinpachiGinpachi Registered User regular
    Just started!

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Looks like it's just a goodbye. So far, anyways.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    Wow, so it looks like everyone can get into beta to see the new stuff, even if they aren't VIP or have lapsed.

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I just heard the news.

To me, CoH has been an institution in the MMO scene. It's one of my fav MMOs, much better than the abortive Champions Online. It's incredibly sad to see it go like this.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    I played this game for a good 3 years. Even though I don't play anymore, its sad to know its going away. I'll have to jump back on for a bit of nostalgia. The end of an era!

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    So does this mean I'll literally never get to try Bio-Armour?

Not on live, no.

Apparently Beta is still up.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Sad to see this. I was pretty in to CoH before CoV came out. As sad as I am about the game, it's more sad for the people losing their jobs.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GinpachiGinpachi Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ginpachi on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    So they're not "zeroing" out everything on the market on the live servers "just in case".

Trying not to read too much into that.

I can definitely see double xp happening (which will be fun) and possibly a trick or treat event.

Sad still...started porting toons to CO.

Shawnasee wrote: »
    So they're not "zeroing" out everything on the market on the live servers "just in case".

I can definitely see double xp happening (which will be fun) and possibly a trick or treat event.

"Just in case" of what? "Oh we didn't mean to fire you guys, have your jobs back!" I'm not holding my breath for any reversals or acts of good faith on NCSoft's part. They executed this in a very intentional, "fuck you, we need some obscure, vague business action" manner.

I watched for about an hour. It was a bit depressing.

I got pretty sick of the fairy with the "B" leotard camwhoring though.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man, you go away on vacation and your favourite game goes to hell.

Just so bizzare, game was going awesome, was apparently making a success of free to play, and everything was going peach as far as we all knew.

Well, I guess they finally found the best way to nerf regen. :p

:so_raven:
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular

"Just in case" of what? "Oh we didn't mean to fire you guys, have your jobs back!" I'm not holding my breath for any reversals or acts of good faith on NCSoft's part. They executed this in a very intentional, "fuck you, we need some obscure, vague business action" manner.

Their words not mine but I think in case some other company was to pick this up.

However, having said that, would the Paragon Market move with it?

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I should point out that my two favorite things are about to cross over:
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505216

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Crap.

I came back to this every year or so just to mess around and make new characters. Never got past level 32 for some reason. I'll never forget maxing super jump for the first time, spent hours just bouncing around zones on my ar/en blaster. Around the time I first quit was when SO's got a diminishing returns system. Next time I came back architect had come out and playing a bunch of the gummi? missions with PA people was a blast.

One of the SA lp's got me into this the first time as well. Such a change from the typical fantasy mmo's of the time.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • HammerHeartHammerHeart Registered User new member
    This story is now being followed on 44 different boards and blogs, Including CNN. The latest information is this:

[Admin] Alpha Wolf:
    "Sorry guys but I don't have any new update. I know Paragon management
    is having discussions with NCSoft and investors. Continue get people to
    sign online petitions, post on game forums, and just continue to make
    noises so NCSoft cannot ignore players."

This is encouraging news.
    Please, go hit any boards you know of and talk about what is going on
    with CoH. The more media coverage and support we have, the more likely
    that these talks may succeed.
    Read more at http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/3164/20120904/city-heroes-shutting-down-ordinary-gamers-make.htm#0YLlpYOEwCovqZMA.99

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

This is a weird industry, and a bizarre, out-of-left-field move like this can and has been reversed. We certainly didn't expect to see Sam & Max once Lucasarts cancelled, but we ended up get two games and an entire developer dedicated to that previously considered dead genre.

Making assumptions and doing crazy things based on said assumptions can close potential doors. There's no harm in keeping shop up for now: nobody is going to slight Paragon Studios over it. If they announced a new studio and MMO to go with it, then I doubt the response will be "Oh, fuck you all because you didn't make items free in the last two months of your previous game."

On the other hand, if they did it, then you can expect a massive backlash if NCSoft changes their mind in response to the public outcry. You either lose a shitton of revenue because you now have to make a ton of new shit to sell, or you lose a lot of customers because you have to take back the toys you gave away.

There's little to be gained, and a lot to be lost. They probably won't open up the market until the 11th hour.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    From what's been said on the official forums I think some of the Paragon Studios boys are making a play for buying the game off of NCSoft, hence Alpha Wolf's comments and shit

I wish them luck

• spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    It's not going to happen because their sole reason for shutting it down is so that it wouldn't compete against their other games. They want the players to leave COX so they will play one of their other MMOs.
    If it's just about making some money off the COX property they would have kept it running. For them to sell it is the worst of all possible options. They would still have that competitor against their current MMOS and they wouldn't even be able to make money off that competitor.

What the employees of Paragon should do is form a new studio and make their own superhero MMO. Given the fanbase of COX they might even be able to Kickstart it.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    They addressed a lot of this in that video. In that official video, that actually features official people who know what's going on, Zwill said NCSoft and several other studios have been holding job fairs for the former employees, so I'm not sure how much time they have to spend trying to buy out the IP. Along with Positron's post asking for lore questions, where he points out that most the staff is spending a lot of time networking, updating linkins, etc.

Zwill also pointed out that Kickstarter only works for brand new projects, so one to buy out the studio wouldn't really work, without some really odd shenanigans.

Zwill then pointed out that the development costs for a new MMO are in the tens of millions, so it's a bit questionable if a Kickstarter could work at all for a new MMO, and even if it did, the natural life cycle of MMO development means that there just aren't jobs for several of the people who were working on CoX. Zwill mentioned that his job, in particular, only really matters once the game is up and running and has a real community to work with, so that's a year or two at least of nothing for him to do.

I get that this whole "shutting down an awesome game" is entirely lame. I really, really, annoyingly do. But all this "I heard that Mercedes Lackey was founding a game studio just to buy the game!" rumor-mongering isn't doing anything except making this suck more.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    It's not going to happen because their sole reason for shutting it down is so that it wouldn't compete against their other games. They want the players to leave COX so they will play one of their other MMOs.
    If it's just about making some money off the COX property they would have kept it running. For them to sell it is the worst of all possible options. They would still have that competitor against their current MMOS and they wouldn't even be able to make money off that competitor.

What the employees of Paragon should do is form a new studio and make their own superhero MMO. Given the fanbase of COX they might even be able to Kickstart it.

I agree with this, totally. Well, I am "whatevs" as far as Kickstarting goes, they could do it or go the traditional route, either way I do not care. But yes, totally, they should start their own studio and make a new superhero MMO. With all the new fancy things TSW and GW2 have brought to the MMO world, I'd love to see a superhero MMO incorporate them.

Imagine a superhero MMO with GW2's Dynamic Events and deleveling system combined with TSW's "deck" building skill system.

Picture this; You're flying around the city and spot cops in a shoot out with a gang of robbers outside of some tech research facility. You (and anyone else in the area) jump in the middle of the fight and kick ass. The cops question the robbers and find out that their hideout is at the docks (as hideouts are want to do). The cops send a SWAT team to the hideout and ask you to join them. You and your fellow heroes have an impromptu team up. The SWAT team arrives, you and the other heroes arrive, and you storm the hideout. Inside you find Professor Mecanicus who is a little less happy his henchmen failed to steal the Quantum Gemerald to power his latest doomsday laser gun. He jumps in to his giant robot spider (because they are always giant robot spiders) and proceeds to do battle with the police and heroes alike. You defeat the villain and the day is saved. Now the cops ask you to go with the police convoy that will be taking the Professor to super-villain prison. Along the way the Professor's henchmen and robot creations attack the convoy trying to free their boss. Eventually the convoy reaches its destination and the world is a safer place. (until some other super-villain tries to bust his buddies out of there :P)

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

I agree with this, totally. Well, I am "whatevs" as far as Kickstarting goes, they could do it or go the traditional route, either way I do not care. But yes, totally, they should start their own studio and make a new superhero MMO. With all the new fancy things TSW and GW2 have brought to the MMO world, I'd love to see a superhero MMO incorporate them.

Imagine a superhero MMO with GW2's Dynamic Events and deleveling system combined with TSW's "deck" building skill system.

Picture this; You're flying around the city and spot cops in a shoot out with a gang of robbers outside of some tech research facility. You (and anyone else in the area) jump in the middle of the fight and kick ass. The cops question the robbers and find out that their hideout is at the docks (as hideouts are want to do). The cops send a SWAT team to the hideout and ask you to join them. You and your fellow heroes have an impromptu team up. The SWAT team arrives, you and the other heroes arrive, and you storm the hideout. Inside you find Professor Mecanicus who is a little less happy his henchmen failed to steal the Quantum Gemerald to power his latest doomsday laser gun. He jumps in to his giant robot spider (because they are always giant robot spiders) and proceeds to do battle with the police and heroes alike. You defeat the villain and the day is saved. Now the cops ask you to go with the police convoy that will be taking the Professor to super-villain prison. Along the way the Professor's henchmen and robot creations attack the convoy trying to free their boss. Eventually the convoy reaches its destination and the world is a safer place. (until some other super-villain tries to bust his buddies out of there :P)

I completely agree with this statement, completely.

The one major I've been thinking whenever I've doing some of GW2's events is that this would work great for a super hero MMO. Not only does it make for a more immersive environment and gaming experience; it also makes more sense when it comes to repeating content (which can be odd at some points when fighting the invasion/boss/collection several times in the same day). But it fits in the comic super hero context since if comics have shown anything, bank robberies are a common everyday occurrence.

Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    I agree, even though I don't play GW2, it's dynamic quest system seems to fit the mythology of the superhero crime fighting setting perfectly. "Gotta do my patrols for the night and stop crime".