As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old MechWarrior Online Thread

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    From what I understand, you could literally ride a toaster into battle and win as long as you play with other PA people.

• ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    From what I understand, you could literally ride a toaster into battle and win as long as you play with other PA people.

No. But you will win more often.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • ChimneyF1reChimneyF1re Registered User regular
    ugh, thanks @TychoCelchuuu now I really want a toaster mech or as close to it as possible.

"TOASTY!"

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    "Judge-Z wrote: »
    "Most Atli just sit there and take it in the rear.
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Honestly the Atlas driver may not feel he has a choice. Big, cumbersome 'mechs like the Atlas have an extremely difficult time trying to defend themselves against a well-piloted light 'mech nipping at their heels. As likely as not the only thing you'll accomplish is exposing yourself to more free shots from other enemies as you futilely twist around trying to draw a bead. If there's any lag at all, it makes things that much worse. A lot of the time the best thing to do is to ignore the back-biting, keep firing at bigger targets in front of you, and hope some teammate notices your plight and chases the deadly nuisance away.

And another thing: if you are in an Atlas, shooting another Atlas, and a Jenner with 4 small pulse lasers starts shooting you in the back, what do you do? Hint: you don't turn your back to the other Atlas. An Atlas requires a good team behind it to be effective.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Honestly the Atlas driver may not feel he has a choice. Big, cumbersome 'mechs like the Atlas have an extremely difficult time trying to defend themselves against a well-piloted light 'mech nipping at their heels. As likely as not the only thing you'll accomplish is exposing yourself to more free shots from other enemies as you futilely twist around trying to draw a bead. If there's any lag at all, it makes things that much worse. A lot of the time the best thing to do is to ignore the back-biting, keep firing at bigger targets in front of you, and hope some teammate notices your plight and chases the deadly nuisance away.

And another thing: if you are in an Atlas, shooting another Atlas, and a Jenner with 4 small pulse lasers starts shooting you in the back, what do you do? Hint: you don't turn your back to the other Atlas. An Atlas requires a good team behind it to be effective.

Pretty much this. Teamwork really is OP in this case, especially concentrated fire. Use your assault mechs as the front line mechs they were meant to be, and your light and medium mechs as harrassment and speciality mechs they were meant to be and SURPRISE SURPRISE good things happen.

TheGerbil on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular

Yup. The Atlas is at its best when other mechs in the lance draw attention so you can just unload on things. Go off by yourself and you will be ripped to shreds.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    ugh, thanks @TychoCelchuuu now I really want a toaster mech or as close to it as possible.

"TOASTY!"

Awesome 8Q, and lean on the alpha button. :P

5gsowHm.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I play Jenner all the time and the biggest pieces of advice I can give Atlases for fighting lights one-on-one is counter-rotating (turn in the opposite direction that they circle you) and/or do your best to get your back to a wall.

The back armor on an Atlas can be as thick as the front armor on a Jenner, so if you force a Jenner to try and punch through that front armor you have a big, big advantage. Also, even if you've got a load of projectile and/or SRM weapons, one or two lucky blasts from all that will cripple or kill a Jenner. Don't fire wildly or anything, but Jenners tend to make a predictable circle while attacking and that's when you can get them.

Though ideally, yeah, you don't even want to have to bother with that because your teammates should be clearing lights off your back. Even if that Jenner isn't dealing significant damage to your Atlas, the fact that it's keeping you from hammering on bigger targets means it's winning. I had a game the other day where I had two different Atlases wasting effort on me instead of being up at the front line; they hurt me pretty bad and would definitely have won in the long run, but by the time I became really threatened, the rest of their team was destroyed and my team was on top of them.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So who's excited for NARC beacons tommorow?

...and TAG units as well. If I read the mechwarrior wiki right, that should mean off-map calldowns, right? (since the only mech-carriable thing the site mentions that uses TAG won't be invented for another 8 years)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So who's excited for NARC beacons tommorow?

...and TAG units as well. If I read the mechwarrior wiki right, that should mean off-map calldowns, right? (since the only mech-carriable thing the site mentions that uses TAG won't be invented for another 8 years)

I'm betting that the TAG and NARC will serve similar functions (at least for right now), but in different ways. TAG could be used with certain LRMs in the TT, but I'm thinking TAG will work with current LRMs in the same fashion.

My thought is that the difference will be that light mechs would want to carry NARC for helping LRM allies, but LRM mechs will likely want to carry TAG to help lock faster/farther away/more accurately (giving TAG-equipped mechs to lock to target a full 1000m out on their own would be significant). Fortunately, we won't have to wait long to find out, though it would be pretty sweet if the TAG system meant we could get things like artillery strikes at some point.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    Most Atli just sit there and take it in the rear.

Especially if you are an atlas loaded up with Gauss, AC20s or PPCs. You are just not going to hit a light mech wolf packing around you.

This. What looks like a huge firepower differential on paper can be meaningless if the Atlas is armed primarily with projectile weapons. You are not going to hit that light 'mech with anything remotely approaching consistency with weapons besides lasers.

Tangentially related, in the latest patch they said they reduced the exasperating delay when firing projectile weapons, and it is noticeably improved, and also more predictable and consistent. Ain't going to help you tag a circling Jenner with a gauss slug too much, but it's definitely better.

Gaslight on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    So I have moved. I have my computer set up and internet is nominal... but I can't find my headset/mic!! Argh.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    Most Atli just sit there and take it in the rear.

Especially if you are an atlas loaded up with Gauss, AC20s or PPCs. You are just not going to hit a light mech wolf packing around you.

This. What looks like a huge firepower differential on paper can be meaningless if the Atlas is armed primarily with projectile weapons. You are not going to hit that light 'mech with anything remotely approaching consistency with weapons besides lasers.

Tangentially related, in the latest patch they said they reduced the exasperating delay when firing projectile weapons, and it is noticeably improved, and also more predictable and consistent. Ain't going to help you tag a circling Jenner with a gauss slug too much, but it's definitely better.

It's perpetually awesome to come across a min/maxed Atlas build running SRMs and UACs in a Jenner and drive him batshit crazy with speed that nullifies something like 90% of the firepower he's carrying. 2 medium lasers that only hit a third of the time don't even intimidate a light mech. I also thoroughly enjoy playing chicken with Gaussapults, then using the Force to duck out of the way of the double shot right when they fire to swing around and pepper their back armor with lasers.

And tagging a circling Jenner with projectiles isn't impossible, but you do need to have the firing delay and travel time dialed in already; even then, you'll probably waste at least a couple shots fine-tuning the timing. Mostly don't want to get caught up in engaging that Jenner, though; the winning move there is just not to play with him.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    woot woot, my founders mechs are now showing up in my mech lab :D

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm very disappointed that there isn't a Founder's Dragon chassis to choose.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would have preferred a Founders Commando and Awesome instead of the Atlus and Jenner. And thats with only the first 8 mechs to choose from, they have even more that will be released eventually that I would prefer even over those. But still, founders anything is a nice bonus.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    I was playing the other day with a couple of PAers and it was so much more fun. I'll go through the spreadsheet and add as many as I can. What roles are people planning on specializing in?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Man it really speaks well for this game that it's only a beta, there's only 4 maps and 8 mechs and yet we manage to fill up almost 2 groups a night. Loving this game.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Man it really speaks well for this game that it's only a beta, there's only 4 maps and 8 mechs and yet we manage to fill up almost 2 groups a night. Loving this game.

You wouldn't think so from reading the official forums, though. According to them the game is doooooooooomed

5gsowHm.png
  • Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

You wouldn't think so from reading the official forums, though. According to them the game is doooooooooomed

That's because official forums are a hive of scum and villainy.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

Every game that was ever made was doomed, if you go by the doomsayers on official forums :).

Reading this thread reminds me that I have a beta invite somewhere in my inbox. I need to get into this game.

• KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular

Yeah, I keep forgetting that this is going to be F2P. It doesn't feel like it at all. Also, they've only been working on it for 9ish months.. Craziness.

x5jS9QJ.png
    What times are groups usually playing this at night?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »

Yeah, I keep forgetting that this is going to be F2P. It doesn't feel like it at all. Also, they've only been working on it for 9ish months.. Craziness.

I sorta keep hoping one of these nights our two groups end up in a match together, although group 2 usually rolls 4 or 5 deep instead of 8.

YOU PAID FOR YOUR WHOLE SEAT BUT YOU ONLY NEED THE EDGE!

• KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    Oh yay! Boring Press release story
    Native voice comms starting.. in today's patch?

x5jS9QJ.png
    That's a good change. Should give pub groups at least a fighting chance.

Still, I prefer our vent channel(s). I imagine I'll probably mute the in-game if possible (and in with you all, of course).

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I think it's really funny that it's named C3.

• HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular

"TOASTY!"

I think as close as you can get to a Toaster is everyones favorite junkheap, the UM-R60 UrbanMech. Even though it would blow hard in MW:O I'd love to see that trashcan show up in game just to pack it full of Jumpjets and crash into people.
    Honestly I keep hoping we'll see some of the weirder battlemechs like the Crab and King Crab. I think the King Crab could give an Atlas a run for it's money although it would have the goofiest hitboxes because of it's strange profile.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    NATIVE VOICE COMMS?

I AM A HAPPY CAMPER.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Sorry about dropping yesterday. The new machine likes to randomly completely freeze up. No blue screen, no dump log, just a nice solid freeze. After doing it yesterday in game I thougth troubleshooting was more important than trying to get back in the game. Hopefully I can get the problem fixed today and play some tonight.

edited September 2012
    Campy wrote: »
    NATIVE VOICE COMMS?

I AM A HAPPY CAMPER.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. So I guess "no current plans for in-game voice" actually translates to "we're PGI and we're fucking awesome because we're randomly throwing this in way, way ahead of time"?

The big downside is that VOIP will be the new OP for bitching threads.

Which isn't really much of a downside at all, I guess, since there's hardly any point in visiting the beta forums.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

That's because official forums are a hive of scum and villainy.

This is why I made it a point at PAX to thank the MWO devs in person for all their hard work and tell them how much fun us PA guys are having with MWO. All the doomsayers on the official boards need to have their teeth kicked in. Unrelated: I bought the 3050 Technical Readouts while I was at the general Catalyst booth and got a sweet MWO shirt. :D

Anyhoo, look at the name of the native voice comms that PGI contracted. I've been laughing about it all day.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    So I have heard that there are some serious issues with overheating in the game. Like you can barely shoot more than two or three times without shutting down. And that is with a base model mech with butt ton of heat sinks installed in lieu of a little armor.

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    So I have heard that there are some serious issues with overheating in the game. Like you can barely shoot more than two or three times without shutting down. And that is with a base model mech with butt ton of heat sinks installed in lieu of a little armor.

Is this a request for verification? A criticism? I'm not sure where you're going with this.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

If you are silly and alpha strike every weapon, yeah maybe. If you actually configure your mechs and set up intelligent control groups and fire wisely? Hardly. Heat management is a thing, but a little forethought, and not spam firing will go a long way.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Only for those foolish enough to fire every weapon at once every time.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Well, heat is a thing in BattleTech and you need to manage it.

If heat is a little touchy right now (which it can be), that will go away once double heatsinks are in, which is supposed to be "soon" according to the developer blog (same patch that engines lose all their heatsinks and you have to actually purchase them).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling

PGI started with the original tabletop values for damage, heat, and range, but in the TT, you were only firing once every 10 seconds; in MWO, I think the longest recycle time is 4 seconds (or even only 3 seconds). That means mechs have effectively triple the firepower, but heat is much more prominent as well.

But if somebody was saying they could only fire 2-3 times without shutting down, then they were being whiny and/or didn't know what they were doing. Alpha striking repeatedly with a load of energy weapons will do that, but decent heat management means you won't ever be overheating unless you deliberately fire too quickly. Not to mention that heat management is supposed to be a major factor in the game; if somebody keeps overheating themselves, then they shouldn't fire so much or they should be breaking up their energy weapons into different groups. I run an Awesome that has 2 large lasers and 2 medium lasers; I can fire the LLs almost endlessly without building heat, the MLASes without building heat at all, both together with some heat buildup, and all lasers plus SRMs for a big whack but major heat.

And if they were boating PPCs and MLASes, yeah, of course they're going to overheat if they fire repeatedly. At least for the MLASes, the heat value is deliberate in order to help curb laserboating so we don't get another crappy MW multiplayer dominated by lasers. If somebody is having heat problems, then it means they have a crappy build or crappy firing discipline.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Man, what BS. What kind of FPS doesn't let you fire your guns as fast as you can? Lame. There's not even health regen and chest high wall cover, what is this, the 90s?

KiTA on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    No shields or powerups either, gah, terrible Call of Halofield clone.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling