As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Pre-FAQ FAQ Thread (Post East questions here until the big FAQ is ready)

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited September 2012 in PAX East
see title.

zerzhul on

• Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    well now that pax Prime is over its time to start planning for pax east. Who is going to be going and what are you planning on doing?

Jonoseel on
    Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm going for the first time ever, and i have no idea what the heck I'm going to do.

This space for rent
  • Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    This will be my second time going and I'm doing it all....well not really but pokemon is a sure thing

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of going... since I should come back off deployment 2-3 weeks before PAX East :)

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Got home like 2 hours ago and post pax blues are already setting in. I will most definitely be back for East. I think I'll try my hand at enforcing too if the call goes out.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    Mmmmmmm....sooooo close to East...yet so far away

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I'll be at East! Assuming tickets don't sell out in hours. >.>

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options

When do East tickets usually go on sale? After the crazy Prime sellout, I don't want to be left out of East. I haven't even bought my airfare yet because I'm afraid I'll miss the ticket opportunity.

This space for rent
  • Options
    ToddEvfToddEvf Insanity Chamber Studio, SCRegistered User regular
    Josh5890, I would keep up with @Official_Pax as there will probably be an announcement there when a registration date is set.

As for my own preparation, it comes down to registering first and foremost. I would not arrange travel and lodging until after the passes are ordered. Not only would it suck, but would also be an awkward conversation with my significant other. I have been researching some flights and accommodation in preparation, however.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Suuuper excited - put lots of reminders to myself to keep checking the forums for posts about registration :)

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    ChenzillahChenzillah Resident Geek Scarborough, MaineRegistered User regular
    i'll be there for my second time, and will hopefully be trying a little of everything, and checking out the omegathon that i didn't get to see last time

• Options
    gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    I'll be going for year #3. I'm going to try for a room in the Westin this time - I think that, although it is more expensive, it will actually save money if I can completely avoid using taxis.

• Options
    CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    Definitely planning to go along for a third year of East. After the Prime tickets went on sale and sold out while I was sleeping one night, really hoping I don't miss out this time.

Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »

When do East tickets usually go on sale? After the crazy Prime sellout, I don't want to be left out of East. I haven't even bought my airfare yet because I'm afraid I'll miss the ticket opportunity.

Keep an eye out for Hotels and Badges around October/November. Check the forums and Twitter as well, since the PAX Site may be updated a few days behind. According to my e-mail receipts, I booked the Westin on October 18th through OnPeak (the official hotel release) and bought my 3 day badge on November 3rd. I could not find the information for the year before that, but I am pretty sure it was somewhere along those lines as well.

Traditionally, PAX East 3 day badges will sell out, but in the past it took a few days before that happened. None the less I would be careful. Every year the event gets bigger and more popular, so I would not be surprised if the 2013 edition sells faster than it's predecessor considering there were many other events coinciding with it.

Just a side note - Every PAX East has been a little different from the last. It's still in its infancy, so take the above with a grain of salt.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    JACQATTACKJACQATTACK New York CityRegistered User regular
    This year was my first Prime, but I will definitely be at East as I've been a veteran of that show since year 1. Despite the fact that Boston is by no means my favorite place, East is always an awesome show.

• Options
    DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    People seem to have really bad memories...as I have heard _many_ _many_ people talk about how you typically have a few days to purchase PAX tickets.

This year's Prime was the first where they sold out in basically 48 hours. In the past Prime historically been sold out in a month, East a bit more than that (This years EAST had some single day passes left the last few days before the con).

That being said, I still think it's extremely prudent to keep a close eye on sales, as those who didn't make it to Prime will probably be looking at East as an alternative....and a lot of people didn't make it to Prime.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I will be going this year, which will make my 3rd East. This will be the first that I will attend NOT as Media, which should be interesting. I will enjoy being able to do whatever I want, without having to log it all down for future articles.

Not that this stopped me from enjoying myself for the last 2.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    PAX EAST!!!! IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I missed last year's and I am sure as hell not making that mistake this year. So I'll be stalking the PAX East page from now till they go on sale :)

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I'll be there for sure, Year Four will be the best yet!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    I'll be there for sure, Year Four will be the best yet!

Hopefully next year we will actually say something like "Hello" instead of last year when we both noticed we tagged each other on the 3DS at some point :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be going again! This will be year three for East! It's like an addiction now. I stayed at the Westin this year and that spoiled me.. And I don't want to stay anywhere else if I can avoid it.. The Westin was just amazing. I'm also going to switch up my vacation time so I can hopefully actually be there for the closing ceremonies!

I AM EXCITED. :D

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I'm planning on going again for the 2nd year in a row. Need to get up on the hotels much more quickly this time around so I can be on the convention center side of the water...

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Definitely going, and probably tossing my hat in if they call for more enforcers . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    Another PAX. Another Pokecrawl. I can't wait. Last year we got badges but we were slow to book a room and missed out on a Westin room. Won't be making that same mistake again. Being able to stay inside where it was warm and just walk over to our room for a quick nap or swag dropoff made it easily worth the money.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I'm planning on attending my 3rd PAX East if I can get badges before they sell out, but my primary plan is to hopefully join the ranks of The [E].

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    PAX does sell out quickly, but keep in mind that compared to some other cons (Blizzcon, SDCC), 48 hours is a very nice window.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    it's finally heeeerrrreeeee! pax east planning time!!! clearly, i'm very excited.

this is going to be my third pax (all easts). my first one was just kind of checking things out, last one i actually did the ppd and interacted with community people a bit, and next year will be BEST PAX EVER. for real. i know we still have a long wait ahead of us, but returning to the forums is SUPER exciting on its own. hooray!!!
    DaveRH wrote: »
    People seem to have really bad memories...as I have heard _many_ _many_ people talk about how you typically have a few days to purchase PAX tickets.

This year's Prime was the first where they sold out in basically 48 hours. In the past Prime historically been sold out in a month, East a bit more than that (This years EAST had some single day passes left the last few days before the con).

That being said, I still think it's extremely prudent to keep a close eye on sales, as those who didn't make it to Prime will probably be looking at East as an alternative....and a lot of people didn't make it to Prime.

this is very true, there were actually sunday passes still being sold AT pax east 2012. HOWEVER, if you combine the jilted prime folks with everyone who didn't go to last east because of easter/passover/anime boston, you get absolutely guaranteed higher attendance for 2013. hopefully it still won't be the madness that prime was, but you never can tell.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    Well, in previous years Prime took at least a month to sell out. I actually thought it was a hoax when I saw the badges were selling out a day later. IMO Prime is better (nice weather, seems to be where the party at), but East is no slouch. East is more con and less party, Prime seems to be more party and less con. I may perceive it that way because I'm drunk 70% of Prime.

• Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    My boyfriend and I are thinking about going. This was t fourth PAX and this his third. East 2013 will be our first for Boston. Anyone have any idea about how much money we should save up?

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    My boyfriend and I are thinking about going. This was t fourth PAX and this his third. East 2013 will be our first for Boston. Anyone have any idea about how much money we should save up?

IMO it's almost no different from Prime overall cost-wise with the exception of how long your flight is. I'm sure that there are some differences, but it's not WILDLY different. They're both big cities, it's still PAX.

• Options
    Thanks for the info on the tickets guys.

Yea I've been researching and it looks like I should be able to get round trip from Chicago for $226. I just hope I get a pass and a room at the connecting hotel. I'll just have to watch this forum religiously.

This space for rent
  • Options
    Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    so as the post says I am from the west coast and considering going to East next year but still not entirely sure looking for opinions? is it easy to meet people? should I go? is there anyone out there who has a group that meets for lunches and dinners and evenings that would be willing to accomodate a lonely Canadian?

Browncoat565 on
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Darn!!!! I wanted to be the first PAX East post!!! Oh well, hehe. I can't wait!!!! This will be my 4th east. I've been to every one so far and hope I'll get to others in the future. Now, the day after PAX Prime is the start of religiously stalking Twitter for any info on tickets and hotels. I have twitter on my phone, on all my computers, on several computers at work, heck, anything I can get Twitter on. I don't want to miss out like with the situation with Prime 12. Other than all this, I start planning on what games I want to take and what board/card games I want to try. I tell ya, go to the pre-PAX gaming night at the Westin. That was so awesome last year. Zombie dice rules!!!! I've got several friends hooked on that. Lastly, I hope the new Neo Geo X is out by then. I would love to be rocking some classic Neo Geo in lines!

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    @Browncoat565 I went solo to East last year and had an amazing time. Don't let that be the thing that keeps you from going.
    East has a lot of similar pre- and post- PAX activities. There is a bar crawl (Pokecrawl), a Magical Mystery Tour, Pre-PAX Dinner, Pre-PAX Gaming Night, Girls Meetup, etc.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    When is east normally, when do tickets usually go on sale for east, and when do hotels usually go online for east? Since prime was just sooooo much fun, and I'm one of those poor colege student types wanna see if I should even get my hopes up about going or if I should just start count the weeks til next years prime cause its too close.

sanovah on
  • Options
    waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    When is east normally, when do tickets usually go on sale for east, and when do hotels usually go online for east? Since prime was just sooooo much fun, and I'm one of those poor colege student types wanna see if I should even get my hopes up about going or if I should just start count the weeks til next years prime cause its too close.

The past two years, hotel reservations became available in mid-October. I don't know when 2010 passes when on sale, but 2011 were available starting in early November.

• Options
    sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    for those of you wondering... from the MCCA website it looks like PAX East will be March 22-24. Source: http://www.mccahome.com/events.html

edit: don't book your plane tickets and blame me if its some other date but I do consider this as a fairly reliable way to guess the date.

sizzlersam on
    46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    Posting this in both FAQs.since it relates to both cons

I had an unbelievably amazing time at my first prime and don't want to wait a whole year to enjoy that again. With that in mind I've began contemplating going to both this upcoming year and would like some advice/answer to the below question from pax pros that do both every year. While it would be a little tight at probably two spots I shuld be able to afford going to both, my only problem/ concern is getting two weeks off in one year since I am looking for a new job and have no idea where ill be working at the time.

So yeah to any pros that do both or have tried to in the past would you reccomend. Doing both in one year or just going to one for longer than the actual convention? Like I said I can unless something drastic comes up afford both or a longer trip, my only concern would be getting two weeks off one for each.

• Options
    There are tons of people who ask this question every year. I wish search was better, but maybe try google for prime vs east? or something like that. I should keep some of them bookmarked just so I can link them.

Basically it comes down to this:
    1) they're both PAX, so yay
    2) One is in Seattle, one in Boston, there are pros/cons to each city that are unrelated to PAX.
    3) Prime is spread out due to the venue not being large enough, East's venue is massive and awesome so PAX is all in one glorious space.
    4) Prime is spread out in a very active part of the city, so the walk to get to other things can take you near new awesome stuff Seattle has to offer. East is in one spot that is growing but is not super active, so you have to take a 5-10 min subway ride to the hotspots (personally I like both sides of this one, for different reasons).
    5) Prime is at capacity, East has room to grow.

I could probably go on forever, but I really encourage you to search the forums a bit to find some of these discussions from the past.

• Options
    Yeah after asking that I kinda just decided that cause I hope to be living in Seattle after next year I'll just go to prime for 13 and make and make 14 my year to do both since I won't have to travel twice then.

I will leave it up though since you replied before I could take it down to give context and as you said people ask this a lot. So now they won't have to

This discussion has been closed.