As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]NICE is full. Draygo's guild too. Ask Entaru about Candymancers on Aspenwood.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I was having trouble leveling up my low lvl jewelcrafting, especially for the stones. I had a pack of Black lion salvage kits in my inventory so I used that to constantly reuse the same stones to craft accessories.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Christ you people are being silly about this. Why would their be ruins of what would have essentially been stick and hide buildings?

The human's were the biggest of geese, brought down onto Tyria by their gods and empowered by them to go on a stomping spree across the entire world. It's blatantly obvious they took Ascalon from the charr, just as they likely did the same with Kryta/Elona from the centaur. And when they finally took over almost everything, they started to kill each other with that crazy magic before one leader finally went "look, sorry Abbadon, but can the rest of you gods put some restraints on the magic?"

Nothing good ever came from the humans coming to Tyria.

Right, and there's not a single carving, cave painting, or indicator that the charr lived in Ascalon before they attacked everyone.

The centaurs were clearly set up as aggressive indigenous peoples being pushed back by humans, and the tengu were also clearly established as locals by context.

The charr were unsympathetic invaders until Pyre Fierceshot decided that Gwen had no right to be angry about her parents being butchered by meteors and/or being eaten by charr.

I don't like the charr, I think they're assholes, and if the dragons weren't a worse threat, it would be the other races banding together to destroy their Black Citadel and the threat to all the civilized races that it represents.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Caedere wrote: »
    I mean, dislike the charr if you want, but when people start talking about how certain animations are triggers for traumatic memories of the charr.... it's really hard for me to get offended, bit lumping oneself in the same category as rape victims and PTSD survivors, as if a fucking videogame is the same....that'll do it.

I'm not sure anybody means anything like that.

I assure you it's certainly not what I mean. I'm merely miffed by some of the story handling and not personally keen on playing a Charr myself, not having flashbacks every time I'm in the Black Citadel.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Back to shortbow as my ranger because it's too effective, which makes me irritated at my choice for my level 40something vigil quest where I chose a longbow as reward. Not that the BOW was good but the skin for the weapon looked good. What makes me irritated is the shortbow skin didn't LOOK like a shortbow. Sad times.

Aside from the knockback and the giant AOE ability (which is awesome) of the number 5, I just can't see myself using longbow in dungeons very much. Only issue I MIGHT run into is getting too bleed capped since I'm running with a mesmer and a necro.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Yeah it was pretty insane to jump from a Str Def build to the Str Arms build in terms of crit. I had hammer rifle before using primarily my 2hmace to aoe a bit and to have the knockback and stun. I got a rare 60 rifle that was a 200 dmg upgrade over my rifle and 2hmace I had so I swapped to it and looked at what might make it more fun. Going into arms dropped my toughness quite a bit but it also increased my crit chance by almost 20%.

I guess I will see when I get home if I am made of paper or not.

Personally I'd do Arms/Def or Arms/Tactics over Str/Arms. Things will still hit you.

Cool I will check it out when I get home. I just threw something together and just chose Str right off the get go like I always did heh. I am pretty good about dodging stuff and using the butt of my rifle :)

Tactics is nice also because it has the reduce signet recharge trait, which is useful if you're doing a stacking signet/crit build using the +precision for signets trait in arms.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    This conversation is weird.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Anyone got tips on Mesmer PvPing? I'm doing okay I guess, but my damage is fairly low with the 2h sword and I'm having some trouble keeping 3 clones up at all times

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I am. That is how my Crit jumped up to about 45% with what I had last night. I cant wait to try it out. I also took the +dmg from being at max adren. I envisioned this build as running around max adren just bleeding things down with huge killing shots from my adren dump. With tactics I would actually use my signets heh.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I wish I had a decent enough computer to take a screenshot without feeling like I am bound by gamer law to commit seppeku.

Antique bronze looks so good!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »

Who else enjoyed finding Saul D'Alessio's grave's ruins and wanted to tell the Sylvari there all about it ? :D
    Pst. Did you find the nearby statue of Dwayna and pay your respects at it? ;)

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The problem with salvaging items for mats and thinking you'll sell them is that you can salvage a heavy armor that would vendor for 40 copper and get 2 iron or whatever that will get you maybe 12c if you sell it. I know some people salvage everything to drive their own crafting, but honestly, the blue mats are always the bottleneck in levelling crafting, never the base mats. Tailoring is the only profession I can see needing to salvage light armor items because cloth is less prevalent than all others for the most part, but they'd still sell all the other stuff.

Yeah I wouldn't salvage anything that gives iron or any kind of wood. Those are incredibly prevalent.

I salvage all whites, all leather, all cloth, vendor everything else.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Neli wrote: »
    Anyone got tips on Mesmer PvPing? I'm doing okay I guess, but my damage is fairly low with the 2h sword and I'm having some trouble keeping 3 clones up at all times

Clone on dodge, clones cripple on death, cause bleed on crits, clones cause random condition on death. Take Decoy and Diversion as utilities.

Now that your clones are credible threats, build up Power/precision for greatsword and swords, or Condition Damage/Power for staff and scepter.

Focus on harassing/taunting a single target with dazes, stuns, blocks, and distortions and pile confusion around as much as possible so that no matter what your target does, its the wrong choice.

• Options
    igomadnessigomadness Registered User regular
    On my thief it seems like sometimes if i try to use cloak and dagger again quickly after I backstab someone an "immune" message pops up and I don't go to stealth.

Is there some sort of diminishing returns attached to the skill? or is it just that the attack got blocked or something similar?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This conversation is weird.

No it's just silly.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I am. That is how my Crit jumped up to about 45% with what I had last night. I cant wait to try it out. I also took the +dmg from being at max adren. I envisioned this build as running around max adren just bleeding things down with huge killing shots from my adren dump. With tactics I would actually use my signets heh.

The actives can be great. My new personal loadout for wuvwuv is Healing Signet, Endure Pain (not a signet, but still a great get out of jail free card), Dolyak Signet, Signet of Stamina, Signet of Rage.

More concerned with survival than packing super killshots, but able to hang in the line of fire (and able to pop rage and endure pain and whirlwind a zerg to boot)

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    igomadness wrote: »
    On my thief it seems like sometimes if i try to use cloak and dagger again quickly after I backstab someone an "immune" message pops up and I don't go to stealth.

Is there some sort of diminishing returns attached to the skill? or is it just that the attack got blocked or something similar?

After you leave stealth you suffer from 'revealed' for a short time and can't re-stealth.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    I think Decoy has a permanent slot on mine, just so handy. That plus the torch cloak are like free 'dont feel like fighting you' cards in PvE.

Yes. Blink + Decoy = free access to chests hidden behind high lvl mobs! And free range through zones without fighting!

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I mean, dislike the charr if you want, but when people start talking about how certain animations are triggers for traumatic memories of the charr.... it's really hard for me to get offended

Eh? Who is offended? It's a tribute to the good storyline that GW1 had and how it made you get involved in their world: you cared about the protagonists, you hated and feared the antagonists. I don't know about you guys but I found the searing to be a complete surprise and thought it was pretty darn awesome.

That you feel uncomfortable around Charr in GW2 and are still rooting for the defenders of Ascalon only shows they did a good job in GW1. Salute their story writers and move on.

Humans in GW2 being somewhat boring is a different issue, I think.

Though I am surprised so many of you take the Charr's "We were only taking back our lands!" excuse at face value: they launched a genocidal campaign against every human kingdom they could find. In case it's not quite clear to you, the Charr are basically WWI Germans: their metal death machines and scientific advancement, joyously militaristic culture, desire for world domination, flimsy excuses of righting old wrongs to go on massive invasion sprees. I only regret I cannot give my Charr a walrus moustache, monacle, and pickelhaub. And yes I realize this makes the human remnants of Ascalon France, mired in a perpetual trench warfare with their attackers (fields of ruin). Oddly enough they seem to be portrayed about that favorably in game as well.

Anyway Ascalan originally belonged to the tengu and the Charr took it from them, so I don't view the humans taking it from the Charr in turn as any kind of wrong. I do want to play a tengu in the expansion though! Like, really want too :D

Also is it just me or do the countours four the big tengu wall not quite lie where you'd expect them to? And was anyone else thrilled to find it? And I think there is space for a whole tengu-only zone south of the human lands that you can't get to right now by any path?

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Astale wrote: »
    The ghosts thing makes me smile. The ultimate "salting of the earth" for those damn cats.

Congrats, you win! We set fire to the victory prize though. And good luck putting out this fire.
    That would be "Scorched Earth", which is destroying lost area so that the enemy cannot use it. "Salting the Earth" is what you do when you defeat an enemy and want to make sure they're never prosperous.

Also, the Ghosts don't make it uninhabitable for the Charr at all, it's turned into the preferred playground for the Blood Legion. It also makes it difficult for any other humans to ever repopulate the area. Remember the whole "Think they're always fighting the Flame Legion" thing I mentioned, it goes for when they're fighting humans and anything else as well. Ask the Priory followers out there how they like Ghosts running at them yelling "Die Charr!". it also really wasn't voluntary. So imagine the people who had to go back and watch their friends or family who were forced into that kind of existence, and then imagine them being chased off or killed by their friends or family because, in their undeathly state, they thought they were Flame Legion come to take their lands.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I only regret I cannot give my Charr a walrus moustache, monacle, and pickelhaub.

We need that in the gem store pronto!

• Options
    I mean, dislike the charr if you want, but when people start talking about how certain animations are triggers for traumatic memories of the charr.... it's really hard for me to get offended

Eh? Who is offended? It's a tribute to the good storyline that GW1 had and how it made you get involved in their world: you cared about the protagonists, you hated and feared the antagonists. I don't know about you guys but I found the searing to be a complete surprise and thought it was pretty darn awesome.

That you feel uncomfortable around Charr in GW2 and are still rooting for the defenders of Ascalon only shows they did a good job in GW1. Salute their story writers and move on.

Though I am surprised so many of you take the Charr's "We were only taking back our lands!" excuse at face value: they launched a genocidal campaign against every human kingdom they could find. In case it's not quite clear to you, the Charr are basically WWI Germans: their metal death machines and scientific advancement, joyously militaristic culture, desire for world domination, flimsy excuses of righting old wrongs to go on massive invasion sprees. I only regret I cannot give my Charr a walrus moustache, monacle, and pickelhaub. And yes I realize this makes the human remnants of Ascalon France, mired in a perpetual trench warfare with their attackers (fields of ruin). Oddly enough they seem to be portrayed about that favorably in game as well.

Anyway Ascalan originally belonged to the tengu and the Charr took it from them, so I don't view the humans taking it from the Charr in turn as any kind of wrong. I do want to play a tengu in the expansion though! Like, really want too :D

Also is it just me or do the countours four the big tengu wall not quite lie where you'd expect them to? And was anyone else thrilled to find it? And I think there is space for a whole tengu-only zone south of the human lands that you can't get to right now by any path?

The developers saying it was their land in the first place, y'know, for one. Humans are dicks, like... really mean dicks. I don't recall the charr wearing human-hide armor, for instance. Also that campaign was likely deserved, all humans came from one source when they arrived on Tyria and somewhere back down the bloodline all human kingdoms could be held responsible for the atrocities they must have committed while wielding Abbadon's magic.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    It take an amazing leap to portray the Foefire as anything other than a war crime by Adelbern against his own people.

I mean he basically enslaved everyone in his kingdom for eternity just so he didn't have to face losing.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    The Foefire was pretty bad, yeah. It really doesn't help that the charr are absolute dicks about it, though.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    It take an amazing leap to portray the Foefire as anything other than a war crime by Adelbern against his own people.

I mean he basically enslaved everyone in his kingdom for eternity just so he didn't have to face losing.

And killed the single soldier that found out about his plan before he could try to stop him.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The Charr started to have an interesting storyline back in EotN, then they turned back into barbarous, war-driven pricks again. They're animals and I hope an expansion puts them back into their role as the enemy, even if some PC's are "in exile."

The humans and Asura are the only playable races who have ever achieved anything worth mentioning in Tyria.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    So portraying the charr in anything but most negative light is disrespectful towards rape victims and humans are the best and not dicks at all.

• Options
    The Foefire being bad doesn't make the Searing not-bad

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PaiPai Ghost in the Machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The charr were unsympathetic invaders until Pyre Fierceshot decided that Gwen had no right to be angry about her parents being butchered by meteors and/or being eaten by charr.

The entire perspective of the GW1 storyline is from the humans. Of course it's all "Woe is us, we didn't do anything wrong and all these 'savage races' just hate us because they're jealous and/or born evil!"

The entire history of Tyria is people being so confident that they're right that they stomp all over anyone different. The plot of GW2 is trying to bring everyone out of that and into real civilized cooperation. None of the races in the game are saints.

Pai on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I may not be up on lore as much as you guys are but from my limited playtime with my Charr character I would say that the "warlike race who are pricks" statement remains true in GW2.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    igomadness wrote: »

After you leave stealth you suffer from 'revealed' for a short time and can't re-stealth.

They had to put it in early in beta because people were using builds with quicker initiative regen while stealthed and all that to stay in cloak and dagger stealth permanently, hah.

• Options
    edited September 2012

Yes, but no one is blaming the entirety of the Foefire on all of humanity. That was Adelbern's bag, right?

Same with the Searing and the Flame Legion. The Flame Legion pulled the trigger on that because their Gods told them to. The blame for it lays solely on that legion who procured and utilized the cauldrons.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I was also relieved to find out my tier 2 cultural armor for my ranger is hideous and I get to skip it. Saves me like 6 and a half gold. Of course my tier 3 looks pretty nice but thats future me's problem. Present me says screw him.

Also, AC explorable felt impossible. I don't like to think we're a bad group of players but it was NUTS! After we got to the one event where you have to keep the guy alive after you beat the ghost king dude, we quit after like 6+ tries. I'm all for challenging but I don't feel that its so much CHALLENGING as it is BRUTAL! Had really no fun at all.

CM explorable however was much more acceptable from an explorable point of view though I still feel like some trash needs toned down.

And as has been mentioned before, please put in TSW's shader that more clearly defines where the BAD is.

• Options
    igomadnessigomadness Registered User regular
    are there no level 80 WvWvW armour sets? Found a vendor with a level 60 rare set, but nothing higher level.

• Options

Yes, but no one is blaming the entirety of the Foefire on all of humanity. That was Adelbern's bag, right?

Same with the Searing and the Flame Legion. The Flame Legion pulled the trigger on that because their Gods told them to. The blame for it lays solely on that legion who procured and utilized the cauldrons.

But I have seen nobody so much as mention the searing in Ascalon thus far. It's like postwar Japan and the Rape of Nanking.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Right, and there's not a single carving, cave painting, or indicator that the charr lived in Ascalon before they attacked everyone.

The centaurs were clearly set up as aggressive indigenous peoples being pushed back by humans, and the tengu were also clearly established as locals by context.

I don't like the charr, I think they're assholes, and if the dragons weren't a worse threat, it would be the other races banding together to destroy their Black Citadel and the threat to all the civilized races that it represents.

The lore of the game says it right in there that the Charr were pushed out of Ascalon by the humans and their gods - http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascalon (and that's not retconned from GW1, it was the same story in GW1). So the Charr were war hungry dicks before and got an excuse to be extra war hungry dicks later. Don't see any mention of anyone else, thought the Tengu were purely on Factions isle (and got pushed to Tyria when the Factions empire went all xenophoby on them). The Humans are just as war hungry as the Charr. The Searing was brought on by the Flame Legion taking power among the Charr and unleashing their Gods' power.

As it is, pretty much all the races have their flaws. The Humans have probably brought more danger to Tyria than any of the other races (not necessarily on purpose), with the Charr behind them. The Charr/Human war resulted in the Humans basically turning Orr into an undead wasteland, Foefiring Ascalonia, unleashing Abbadon and re-releasing Joko, and the Mursaat taking advantage of the Human/Charr war for the benefit of their situation.

Compared to that, the Asura haven't succeeded in any huge disasters yet, though not for lack of trying. Sylvari really haven't been around long enough to cause huge problems, though the Nightmare Court is doing its best to make up for lost time. The Norn are all about individual ambition so getting them to work together long enough to cause a disaster would be an achievement in itself. The point being - my takeaway from GW1 was that the Humans and Charr were made for each other and nobody comes out smelling like roses in this game universe, they're kinda all dicks in their own way, with the Sylvari probably being the least dickish and just having a nasty sub-faction.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options

But I have seen nobody so much as mention the searing in Ascalon thus far. It's like postwar Japan and the Rape of Nanking.

The crystals are all over the place.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Nyht wrote: »
    Back to shortbow as my ranger because it's too effective, which makes me irritated at my choice for my level 40something vigil quest where I chose a longbow as reward. Not that the BOW was good but the skin for the weapon looked good. What makes me irritated is the shortbow skin didn't LOOK like a shortbow. Sad times.

Aside from the knockback and the giant AOE ability (which is awesome) of the number 5, I just can't see myself using longbow in dungeons very much. Only issue I MIGHT run into is getting too bleed capped since I'm running with a mesmer and a necro.

Yeah, I tend to agree about the usefulness of the longbow on my Ranger. I dropped it and started running Sword/Torch for a little bit because it's got decent synergy with the Shortbow. Sadly though, unless I'm fighting something that requires a long time to kill, I just stay with my SB (which is prob wrong, but alas, shit still drops fast).

Edit: Spelling... horrible.

Decoy on
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    ...Nothing good ever came from the humans coming to Tyria.

It's funny because it's true! After quick look at the history of Tyria, you get the impression that humanity is easily duped into destroying itself and the rest of the world. In my opinion, neither side gets to wear the moral top hat. The only reason humanity didn't invade further into charr territory is because they didn't want to live there - I remember hearing, in game, a Blood Legion soldier more or less stating outright that they don't look forward to going back to their homeland since it sucks to be cold.

I wonder what Ash Legion's homeland looks like.

The developers saying it was their land in the first place, y'know, for one. Humans are dicks, like... really mean dicks. I don't recall the charr wearing human-hide armor, for instance. Also that campaign was likely deserved, all humans came from one source when they arrived on Tyria and somewhere back down the bloodline all human kingdoms could be held responsible for the atrocities they must have committed while wielding Abbadon's magic.

Human leather is TERRIBLE armor. Think pig-skin leather, except thinner. It's not useful for anything besides decoration, really.
    Pai wrote: »

The entire perspective of the GW1 storyline is from the humans. Of course it's all "Woe is us, we didn't do anything wrong and all these 'savage races' just hate us because they're jealous and/or born evil!"

The entire history of Tyria is people being so confident that they're right that they stomp all over anyone different. The plot of GW2 is trying to bring everyone out of that and into real civilized cooperation. None of the races in the game are saints.

Actually, the sylvari and norn are the two that haven't really had any race-wide 'sins' (as I understand it, the asura have been trying to get rid of the skritt since FOREVER). The sylvari are new and the norn don't have the hierarchical structure to be capable of nation-wide activity.

Same with the Searing and the Flame Legion. The Flame Legion pulled the trigger on that because their Gods told them to.

Well...The thing is, I think the charr response would be something along the lines of "We shouldn't have done that - there's no need for pansy magic."

That might be because everyone who was most affected by it got turned into angry ghosts.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    edited September 2012

The crystals are all over the place.

Yet nobody talks about why they're there

edit: maybe they do in the Charr story quests. I don't know. I don't play a Charr so I won't find out.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.