As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I couldn't beat Stray. Cleared out that entire area of loot and other creatures but I tried Stray like 40 times. Couldn't do it.

Doesn't help that my VIT is 10 while my STR is 41. Kind of built my character stupidly.

Humanity farming question:
    Are the rats under Hellkite still the best farming location for Humanity?

Also, how the hell do I kill Hellkite? None of the old cheap strategies work :)

No, the rats under hellkite were never the best spot for humanity :P
    Just past the Depths bonfire is significantly better, and infinite babies in Tomb of the Giants is way, way, way unbelievably better. Also I hear the DLC has an even better place, no idea where it is, though, as I haven't done the DLC yet.

Killing Hellkite is mostly a matter of going directly beneath the wall he sits on, getting yourself low on health (say, by letting a rat poison you and letting it tick until the ring activates), and using the Red Tearstone ring to make whatever bow you want to use drastically stronger. With my +10 longbow and only enough dex to barely use it, with regular arrows, I was doing ~110 damage/shot.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Kainy wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I couldn't beat Stray. Cleared out that entire area of loot and other creatures but I tried Stray like 40 times. Couldn't do it.

Doesn't help that my VIT is 10 while my STR is 41. Kind of built my character stupidly.

Just past the Depths bonfire is significantly better, and infinite babies in Tomb of the Giants is way, way, way unbelievably better. Also I hear the DLC has an even better place, no idea where it is, though, as I haven't done the DLC yet.

Killing Hellkite is mostly a matter of going directly beneath the wall he sits on, getting yourself low on health (say, by letting a rat poison you and letting it tick until the ring activates), and using the Red Tearstone ring to make whatever bow you want to use drastically stronger. With my +10 longbow and only enough dex to barely use it, with regular arrows, I was doing ~110 damage/shot.

Recently?
    Because every time I get him under 50% health, he heals up. :/

I WAS only doing 25 damage per shot.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

Recently?
    Because every time I get him under 50% health, he heals up. :/

I WAS only doing 25 damage per shot.

Nuked the shit out of that thing from below the bridge with a +5 Pharos bow, 40 dex and a tearstone ring.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Maytag wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    He doesn't drop anything useful right? Cause he just fell into the abyss.

This forest covenant mission is hard, since the people who allow themselves to be invaded all have nice high end gear :( There's this hilarious duo who throw rocks and say things like "HELLO" and "IM SORRY".

I'm having the same problems with being a forest hunter, I just keep getting ported to these same few people.

I thought it would be a lot of fun, but it really isn't.

Yeah, I think it had to do with me playing late at night, I got matched to some really cheesy opponents several times in a row. But another bunch were a lot of fun and very good sports. One dude I was matched to three times in a row, he would obliterate me with a spell he had, but on the third match he decided to do only melee with me, and I was able to push him off the cliff, to which he messaged me "LMAO".

But yes, as said before there is a ton of ganking 2v1 there. I managed to beat two two-man teams, and almost beat one that had high end gear, the main guy was left with less than 100 health but he managed to dodge my last swing and his partner backstabbed me.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Two Bell Gargoyles at once?

Well fuck you too, game.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    @Drez yes, you just need to be doing more damage. Like I said, get an upgraded bow and get low on health to take advantage of the Red Tearstone ring. I literally did this yesterday, and I have butts for Dex.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, I'm in the Archives. I died to Seath, advanced, met Logan, and so on. I've just freed Sieglinde of catarina and gotten the key to free Logan and everything, and that on the horizon look like crystal caves. Is there any goddamn shortcut so that if I go away I can come back here from Anor Londo without taking a million years and three hundred skeletons?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I actually kill them a lot. 3000 souls per each, with a chance of Titanite chunks, is pretty nice.

As a trick - you want to get between their legs and poke at them. That way the shield doesn't annoy you as much. Just look out for the force shockwave.

Truth. As long as you're not taking on more than one at a time, if you stay close, roll between their legs and poke, they go down really quick. Just roll back when you see the shockwave animation, and then roll back in.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Two Bell Gargoyles at once?

Well fuck you too, game.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt9tjrgETZ1qi9qvfo1_500.png

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    stigweard wrote: »
    Humanity stock is best used when you are invading another realm. You can pop one and get health from it where normal health items don't work.

edit: Polarite reminded me of the stat bonuses. iirc, it also helps with resistances to have a stack of ten on hand. It might have gone higher but I'm pretty sure it was nerfed some in a patch.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk3aX4HxM5k&feature=plcp

I dunno if it's because it's late and I'm tired, but I cannot stop laughing.

I'm not sure what the guy's fixation on the souls he gets for defeating a host is. It's not based on their SL, it's based on how many souls they had. It's not hard to be wandering around with several million that you don't want to spend.

• Options
    Kill a hacker and get 99,999,999 souls!

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Well, I'm in the Archives. I died to Seath, advanced, met Logan, and so on. I've just freed Sieglinde of catarina and gotten the key to free Logan and everything, and that on the horizon look like crystal caves. Is there any goddamn shortcut so that if I go away I can come back here from Anor Londo without taking a million years and three hundred skeletons?
    There's a bonfire on a balcony overlooking the gardens that acts as a warp point, just pull the lever near the ladder you had to climb down and it'll open a door leading straight to it.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    stigweard wrote: »
    Humanity stock is best used when you are invading another realm. You can pop one and get health from it where normal health items don't work.

edit: Polarite reminded me of the stat bonuses. iirc, it also helps with resistances to have a stack of ten on hand. It might have gone higher but I'm pretty sure it was nerfed some in a patch.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk3aX4HxM5k&feature=plcp

I dunno if it's because it's late and I'm tired, but I cannot stop laughing.

I'm not sure what the guy's fixation on the souls he gets for defeating a host is. It's not based on their SL, it's based on how many souls they had. It's not hard to be wandering around with several million that you don't want to spend.

From the wiki forums.
    What determines how many souls you gain from killing a player in PvP? Is it just a formula based strictly off the other person's level? Or are there other variables that determine your overall gain, such as number of souls they are holding, humanity etc.?

Strictly their level. as I understand if you are the host it is half the amount of souls they require to gain a level and if an invader it is 1/10th

Invaders invade UP. SO a level 50 invader might invade a level 80 host. So the host gets 50% of the souls, but that is more like 10-25% of their level. The invader gets 10% of the hosts souls, which, because the host is much higher level, c=is also around 25% of that which they need ot level up. It actually balances itself out.
    (All numbers are purely theoretical and arbitrarily chosen to show a point)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Is there no bonfire for Gravelord Servant?

I still need a few sunlight medals before I abandon Warriors of Sunlight, but it looks like there's a bit of a trek through the catacombs to get to the covenant point...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Well, found the warpable thing, rescued Logan, left the place. Have raised Int to 15 to get Cast Light and Greater Magic Weapon, because hey, being able to put a weapon to normal +15 with all the raw damage that implies and still get a good 200 magic damage on the side is pretty neat.

By the way, I recently heard something that made me go DO NOT WANT. Apparently, depending on what you do you have to kill Sunbro Solaire?! O_O I want to know how to avoid that. I'll farm if necessary. But I refuse to hurt Solaire. The way everyone who leaves Firelink seems to always end up hollow is bad enough!

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    If you have the bridges flipped (which I assume you do, since you probably killed Pinwheel) - you can make it to the sarcophagus pretty damn fast from the first bonfire in the catacombs. Jump from the first bridge to the 2nd, then from there to the ledge below, and then book it into the "tomb" area leading the prowler demon. You take some fall damage, but nothing crazy.

• Options
    Well, found the warpable thing, rescued Logan, left the place. Have raised Int to 15 to get Cast Light and Greater Magic Weapon, because hey, being able to put a weapon to normal +15 with all the raw damage that implies and still get a good 200 magic damage on the side is pretty neat.

By the way, I recently heard something that made me go DO NOT WANT. Apparently, depending on what you do you have to kill Sunbro Solaire?! O_O I want to know how to avoid that. I'll farm if necessary. But I refuse to hurt Solaire. The way everyone who leaves Firelink seems to always end up hollow is bad enough!

regarding solaire
    spoilers
    http://darksouls.wikidot.com/solaire-of-astora

• Options

regarding solaire
    spoilers
    So if I'm getting this right, it's 30 humanity to make sure to do it without screwing up, uh. That's going to take a lot of rats.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

regarding solaire
    spoilers
    So if I'm getting this right, it's 30 humanity to make sure to do it without screwing up, uh. That's going to take a lot of rats.

You do get humanity for PVP and helping people finish bosses too. Certainly a bit more fun than farming rats.

• Options

regarding solaire
    spoilers

If you're farming humanity...
    I highly recommend killing the skele-babies outside Nito's room to farm Humanity. They're infinite, not TOO dangerous (as long as you don't let them toxic you...) and drop it at a decent rate. Use a weapon with sweeping attacks, like a claymore, and the Evil Eye ring to keep your heeps up. Honestly, you can kill them fast enough to stay healthy even if you DO get toxiced, it's just stressful... and a long process of letting it run out. Just be quick about picking their drops up. There's about 11 slots for them, and when a new one spawns and occupies the slot that was taken by the one who dropped something, the corpse and any humanity on it disappears.

While I know working your way down to the Tomb isn't exactly an attractive thought, every time you want some humanity. That's why I farmed like 80 of them in one go, when I wanted a pile of it on my PS3 character. I don't think it took me much over an hour.

• Options
    If I'm level 70, am I still able to help people out with for example, the Gargoyles?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Probably not. There's a level limit of around +/- 10 levels. So unless someone who's level 60-80 is fighting the gargoyles...

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    The limit for who you can summon is 10 + 10% of your character level in either direction.

So a level 50 can summon anyone from level 35 to 65, 100 can summon 80-120, 20 can summon 8-32.

So yeah, unless someone was doing gargoyles REALLY late, you probably won't have much luck there.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    You do get humanity for PVP and helping people finish bosses too. Certainly a bit more fun than farming rats.

Remember the whole GFWL bullshit. Can't go online on this character. The mage will be able to do PVP, but this meleer definitely can't.

regarding solaire
    spoilers

If you're farming humanity...
    I highly recommend killing the skele-babies outside Nito's room to farm Humanity. They're infinite, not TOO dangerous (as long as you don't let them toxic you...) and drop it at a decent rate. Use a weapon with sweeping attacks, like a claymore, and the Evil Eye ring to keep your heeps up. Honestly, you can kill them fast enough to stay healthy even if you DO get toxiced, it's just stressful... and a long process of letting it run out. Just be quick about picking their drops up. There's about 11 slots for them, and when a new one spawns and occupies the slot that was taken by the one who dropped something, the corpse and any humanity on it disappears.

While I know working your way down to the Tomb isn't exactly an attractive thought, every time you want some humanity. That's why I farmed like 80 of them in one go, when I wanted a pile of it on my PS3 character. I don't think it took me much over an hour.

I suppose I had to head back down there one of these days anyway... have to try to find how to reach that blacksmith I kept hearing in the Catacombs, too. Blargh.

• Options
    To reach the Catacombs blacksmith...
    You know the spiral path down that just kinda drops off into nothingness? I think it's just after the 2nd (hidden) bonfire? You have to keep descending there. It's pretty tricky, and it'll take a lot of deaths (said hidden bonfire is really helpful for this) but you can actually progress down that hole by hugging the wall and continuing - there are ledges so you won't die, if you can land on them. However the cave walls bulge out at weird places, which might cause you to bounce off to your death...

Once you first talk to him, though, he knocks down a wall for you to exit, and that's a much easier way to reach him from then on.

• Options
    I have an awful time getting summoned, or finding anyone to summon. I'm trying to beat Capra. I tried him seven or eight times solo, once as a human with a helper, once as hollow as the helper, and didn't get his health below half any of those times. I only managed to kill the dogs twice out of those 10 or so attempts. I have a spear +3 and my guy is a level 29 pyromancer.

I think I might just head to Darkroot. I have the winged spear, but I need another level, or was it two, in dex before I can use it effectively.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    On Capra
    Use those stairs! IIRC, I climbed up the stairs and onto the tree branch. The dogs are faster, so they managed to get up there with me, but Capra was left waiting. After you kill the dogs, it's not easy but you have a lot more breathing room. You'll basically want to repeatedly use the drop down attack. Wait until capra's next to the stairs and you're at the top, then jump off and use your basic attack (R1 on 360) for huge damage. Immediately run away, don't engage him. You can chill out on the trees by the stairs if you need a second for estus.

• Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    Reading this thread is making me really miss this game.

I dont really know why I stopped playing. But I did so A long time ago now and the thought of going back is very intimidating.

I just got to speak to a giant lady with a very healthy chest area and I think I was puzzled as to where to go next.

I'd love to go back to this game but ehhhhh..... dont know if I could deal with the stress.

Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    After a couple tries, figured out how to land lightning spears on the boss, so I now have Sunlight Blade.

I have to move talisman to left hand to use it, but since it's one cast, it's basically a "save for bosses" and I can do that outside their fog gates.

It adds over 300 lightning damage to whatever I put it on. I'm putting it on the dragon bone fist, so... it's like 500 power total. Basically, anything in my way is eating electric death. Just need to go jolly coop now a bit (Probably O&S, since at level 5x I should be in range still) to get Great Lightning Spear, and then some basilisk hunting in the depths and I'll have the sword dance miracles (A tip for anyone who gets cursed: You can get two free purging stones from Snuggly by trading a cracked red eye orb. There are 4 in a chest in Firelink.)

• Options
    Reading this thread is making me really miss this game.

I dont really know why I stopped playing. But I did so A long time ago now and the thought of going back is very intimidating.

I just got to speak to a giant lady with a very healthy chest area and I think I was puzzled as to where to go next.

I'd love to go back to this game but ehhhhh..... dont know if I could deal with the stress.

That's where I got to yesterday!
    She gave you an item called the Lordvessel. Remember that really weird monster guy back at the firelink shrine, looked kind of like a loch ness monster demon? I went back and chatted with him, and he had me put the Lordvessel on a shrine that opened up a couple of new areas. I haven't continued on from there, but that's your best bet. I know there are alternate routes, and you don't HAVE to do it the way I did, but that is one thing you can try.

• Options
    Kainy - dropping down to the catacombs blacksmith isn't THAT hard. I did it with 10 vit while cursed, so you don't need a lot of HP to drop. Obviously the key here is making it onto the landings. But if you roll from the steps onto the first landing, you pretty much can't mess that part up. The next drop is easier to see, then the last and you're done. But it's definitely one of those spots that you can fuck up by trying to take it too fast (like when you think it's easy like me... hah).

Bacon - sounds like you just beat Ornstein and Smough, which means you pretty far along. One of the areas in Anor Londo is now open to you (where before it was locked) so you can start there. But there are a few other places you can go as well.

• Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular

I'm having the same problems with being a forest hunter, I just keep getting ported to these same few people.

Its a war of attrition in the forest, I started out hoping to get some friendly pvp, improve my skills etc. Turned me into a cynical ruthless search and destroy killing machine - all my builds now are focused purely on killing forest gankers.
    My current fave forest hunter build is an SL 60 Sorcerer with 50 int and crystal spells,soul arrows, tin crystal catalyst, dusk crown and bellowing dragoncrest ring.Very powerful casting (even stronger with power within or red tearstone ring). I invade, make like a bush, then spring out of nowhere and start one shotting the bastards. Of course, its a glass cannon build and if I screw up I'm dead, but very very satisfying when I pull it off, and best of all those beefed up gankers absolutely hate it - always get indicted lol.
    Cant wait to try out the new spells, Dark Bead at close quarters looks mental.

• Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    I appreciate the gentle guidance from you guys.

Makes me feel like picking this back up even more...

i know most folks posting here are new PC players, but can anyone speak to the recent quality of the 360 experience? I know it was patched after I stopped playing to fix some item balance PVP wise and apparently summoning is improved?

Is there still enough of a player base?

Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Walker wrote: »

Its a war of attrition in the forest, I started out hoping to get some friendly pvp, improve my skills etc. Turned me into a cynical ruthless search and destroy killing machine - all my builds now are focused purely on killing forest gankers.
    My current fave forest hunter build is an SL 60 Sorcerer with 50 int and crystal spells,soul arrows, tin crystal catalyst, dusk crown and bellowing dragoncrest ring.Very powerful casting (even stronger with power within or red tearstone ring). I invade, make like a bush, then spring out of nowhere and start one shotting the bastards. Of course, its a glass cannon build and if I screw up I'm dead, but very very satisfying when I pull it off, and best of all those beefed up gankers absolutely hate it - always get indicted lol.
    Cant wait to try out the new spells, Dark Bead at close quarters looks mental.

Yeah, Camouflage is so much fun for the forest.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm growing impatient with my physical box shipment. Still waiting on it to show up with all it's awesome goodies.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The DLC boss just made me ragequit. He attacks. Then he attacks again. He keeps on attacking, over and over with brief breaks as he flies through the air to attack over your shield. Last attempt I had maybe 2 seconds to drop my shield to regain stamina in the entire fight, he'd just keep flurrying over and over and over again. No breaks to heal, no breaks to regain stamina. 5 attempts where he just batters through my 40 endurance stamina bar and Havel's armor without letting up.

Apparently I'm missing something huge with this guy.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I've found that magic in pvp is extremely laggy. I've only been on the receiving end, but shots that go nowhere near me (on my screen) still connect and fuck me up. Obviously with that happening, evading the shots by rolling is extremely difficult. Maybe this isn't always the case, but the few sorcerers I ran into had an advantage because of this.

edit - bacon it looks like the xbox community is still thriving, or got a boost with the release of the PC version. so you should still be able to get co-op and pvp going no problem. i was able to summon people for the first couple bosses, so people are still making new characters.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I appreciate the gentle guidance from you guys.

Makes me feel like picking this back up even more...

i know most folks posting here are new PC players, but can anyone speak to the recent quality of the 360 experience? I know it was patched after I stopped playing to fix some item balance PVP wise and apparently summoning is improved?

Is there still enough of a player base?

I've never been the client, but I haven't had a problem with summoning other people. There's always tons of people around each fire, at least for the harder bosses. And speaking of summoning, quick question/verification on Sunbros.
    I know to join you need 25 <= (faith + 5*S) where S is your successful co-op encounters as client. I'm not a faith oriented character, so I'll need to do a few encounters to get into the covenant. First, does that carry over to NG+? Second, to confirm how betrayal works, do I have to do something like attacking Solaire, or will just switching to a new covenant lose me my miracles?

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I guess it didn't help my start yesterday that I on a whim picked Deprived. "An enigma?" I said to myself, "that sounds weird, I bet they get some interesting story thing!"

Nope! Just playing on newbie hard mode, apparently.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    I've found that magic in pvp is extremely laggy. I've only been on the receiving end, but shots that go nowhere near me (on my screen) still connect and fuck me up. Obviously with that happening, evading the shots by rolling is extremely difficult. Maybe this isn't always the case, but the few sorcerers I ran into had an advantage because of this.
    There is no "advantage", its just just lag, they probably arent even aware its happening cos in their world they saw it hit - I hate getting lag back stabbed but its just one of those things, dont recall it ever happening in Demon Souls pvp.
    I find ranged sorcery shots very difficult to land once they know I'm coming after them, very easy to dodge hence use of camouflage, try and take them by surprise so they dont have time to dodge, or equip hcsm and just roll right into them.

This discussion has been closed.