As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1303132333436»

• AppoAppo Registered User regular
    kfoil wrote: »
    starcaster wrote: »
    Hi, newbie question here
    How long is the wait in the queue room?

Also curious about this. Is arriving around 8ish 'early enough'? This is my first year and I was just wondering how was it last year.

I've noticed most people seem to come between 7-8.

• nanaki254nanaki254 Registered User regular
    kfoil wrote: »
    Hi, newbie question here
    How long is the wait in the queue room?

Also curious about this. Is arriving around 8ish 'early enough'? This is my first year and I was just wondering how was it last year.

well the doors open at 8, but it is essentially up to you if you want to wait in the queue room (not saying it's a bad thing)

I'd still like to know how early I should wait for the Razer panel... was it really popular the previous years?

My clan: www.killazinc.net
    I sub music: My Youtube
  • adamba123adamba123 Registered User new member
    Marino wrote: »
    So I checked the guidebook, and it says the tabletop tourneys are in the Red Lion. It also says something about registration in the Hyatt. Does this mean the registration for the tournaments is in the Hyatt, or is that registration for something else?

"Registration" refers to PAX registration, which is where people can pick up their badges if they didn't have them sent to them.

On Friday morning do you have to go to the Hyatt first and register before you go to the Red Lion to register for a tabletop tournament, or can you go directly to the Red Lion (assuming you already received your badge in the mail)? Thanks.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    adamba123 wrote: »
    Marino wrote: »
    So I checked the guidebook, and it says the tabletop tourneys are in the Red Lion. It also says something about registration in the Hyatt. Does this mean the registration for the tournaments is in the Hyatt, or is that registration for something else?

"Registration" refers to PAX registration, which is where people can pick up their badges if they didn't have them sent to them.

On Friday morning do you have to go to the Hyatt first and register before you go to the Red Lion to register for a tabletop tournament, or can you go directly to the Red Lion (assuming you already received your badge in the mail)? Thanks.

If you've got your badge, generally you is done. I've only ever gone to registration--I preorder, it gets mailed, etc--when I discover I need a lanyard or something.

• rycautrycaut San Francisco, CARegistered User new member
    edited August 2012
    So, I want to go to PAX in 2013. But in looking at the sites I can't find some key information:

1) When will PAX Prime and PAX East be in 2013?

2) When do passes for either go on sale? (or as crucially how do you learn when they go on sale - in time to actually successfully order a pass?) In past years I seem to always hear about PAX passes AFTER they have completely sold out (or only day passes remain - which doesn't help me as if I'm going to fly across the country for PAX East I really would want to attend every day)

Clearly 1000's of people have figured out how to get passes year after year - but how does someone who has never gone get a pass and actually go? (and then once you have a pass get a hotel room etc)? The FAQs as best I can tell don't really address this.

Thanks, sorry for the truly newbie question and those of you at PAX Prime this weekend have fun.

Shannon

rycaut on
  • anathaleanathale Registered User regular
    Prime is usually labor day weekend and East is usually Easter weekend. Tickets normally go on sale about a month after the previous event and will be announced by @official_pax on twitter and here on the site. With the announced changes today this is subject to change.

• ShakaZuluShakaZulu Registered User new member
    Hi there....thanks for answering all the questions. I have just discovered this convention, so obviously I am bummed, because I only live an hour north of Seattle. You guys should consider offering some kind of video streaming of the various seminars. For those of us that cannot make it for whatever reason....I myself would gladly pay $$ to be able to watch the D&D seminars. Do you know if this is being considered at all? (Or is it already being done, and I just missed the listing for it on the website?) Thanks!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ShakaZulu wrote: »
    Hi there....thanks for answering all the questions. I have just discovered this convention, so obviously I am bummed, because I only live an hour north of Seattle. You guys should consider offering some kind of video streaming of the various seminars. For those of us that cannot make it for whatever reason....I myself would gladly pay $$ to be able to watch the D&D seminars. Do you know if this is being considered at all? (Or is it already being done, and I just missed the listing for it on the website?) Thanks!

So this isn't a "customer service" forum (as in, most of the people that post here don't control the show). There already is streaming though of many things. Head to http://twitch.tv to find them :)

• mattcruisemattcruise Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    I have to cram a lot of PAX into one day on Sunday, just wondering what are some of the must see booths, and which ones have lines that I'm better off just avoiding and waiting for the game to just come out. For example, if Assassin's Creed 3 is playable, I'm willing to check it out, but I'm gonna buy it regardless, so checking out a 2 hour line isn't for me. What lines have you guys sat through and would tell me not to spend my limited time on? Which ones are long but worth it anyway? And what hidden gems might I miss out on? Thanks for any info you guys can share!

mattcruise on
  • Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Swag trade thread?? is there one made yet??

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I have a quick favour to ask of one of us random PAXers who are attending the Saturday night concert. Would somebody be able to send me a text when MC Frontalot is preparing to hit the stage? PM me if you can!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Did anyone get a PAX Program? If so, does it have an advertisement for PAX East 2013 with dates? When is it?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Does anyone know where pax east 2014 will be held? Ive really been trying to plan in advance!
    They announced last year that they signed a 10 year contract with Boston for PAX. Since the BCEC is the only place big enough for PAX there now, i'd say there for the next decade.
    Banaenae wrote: »
    Hi I had a question, When will you hand out the goody bags?
    Goody\Swag bags are handed out every day after 11:30 in the Queue room, room 4A, entrance is in the 4th floor south lobby across from the Merch Booth.

Hi, newbie question here
    How long is the wait in the queue room? I saw a video of it on YouTube and the line is huge! Also, do some people get turned away at the door even with a badge?
    The Queue room line waits until 10am when the hall opens, and then as long as it takes to file everyone inside. If you get there at 8am, thats 2+ hours, if you get there at 9:45am, thats 15+ minutes. If you get there at 10:30am you walk right in. Queue room is only necessary if you want to be one of the first 5000ish people into the expo hall in the morning.
    Appo wrote: »
    So, I just realized that this will be my first PAX where I took my car here, rather than having a relative drive me down in the morning, so my question is - Where can I find parking before the convention center garage opens? I normally get there at around 4:30-5:00, and the convention center parking doesn't open until 5:30. =(
    There are 24\7 parking options. 7th & Pike garage right across the street and next to the Cheescake Factory is probably the closest.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    anathale wrote: »
    Prime is usually labor day weekend and East is usually Easter weekend. Tickets normally go on sale about a month after the previous event and will be announced by @official_pax on twitter and here on the site. With the announced changes today this is subject to change.

East was only Easter weekend last year, and thats just the way the schedule worked out. Its not something that is likely to happen again soon. Prime is indeed Labor Day for the next several years though.

rycaut wrote: »
    2) When do passes for either go on sale? (or as crucially how do you learn when they go on sale - in time to actually successfully order a pass?) In past years I seem to always hear about PAX passes AFTER they have completely sold out (or only day passes remain - which doesn't help me as if I'm going to fly across the country for PAX East I really would want to attend every day)

Clearly 1000's of people have figured out how to get passes year after year - but how does someone who has never gone get a pass and actually go? (and then once you have a pass get a hotel room etc)? The FAQs as best I can tell don't really address this.

Passes for East usually go on sale a few weeks after Prime. The best way to find out when passes go on sale is probably to follow the official PA twitter and\or keep an eye on these forums. If day passes remain you can certainly buy one for each day, many people do this.

Hotel registrations don't fill up nearly as fast as passes (if they do at all), the hotel link on paxsite.com would be the place for that.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • WatchFringeWatchFringe Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    Hi,
    im from Germany and i decided to visit America next year. I always wanted to visit a Pax but yet i dont know which one I should visit. I'm going there especially to play new games, the cosplays and LoL gaming and tournaments. What do you think, will be East or Prime better? I read that Prime has more Games in offer and huge LoL Tournaments and East is more Tabletop, which Im not interested in. Is that true or will there be a bigger Expo Hall 2013? I really don't know a lot about Pax, would be nice if you could answer my questions and help me with that problem :) Thanks

WatchFringe on
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    If you want to visit the PAX with the biggest space, that's going to be PAX East as there isn't much room for expansion at PAX Prime, especially for Expo Hall. Your best bet would be to look up previous PAX schedules and maps, and use them to decide which of the two would be more to your tastes.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    Anyone got pics of the PAX Prime t-shirts? I'm so emo that I didn't get to go. :-(

• WatchFringeWatchFringe Registered User new member
    alegria wrote: »
    If you want to visit the PAX with the biggest space, that's going to be PAX East as there isn't much room for expansion at PAX Prime, especially for Expo Hall. Your best bet would be to look up previous PAX schedules and maps, and use them to decide which of the two would be more to your tastes.

I looked at the maps of East and Prime and saw that there is a lot of room for expansions in Boston.
    But will they expand the Expo Hall 2013? Is there anything you know about this?
    And another point: Is it true that Pax Prime 2013 will last 4 days?

alegria wrote: »

I looked at the maps of East and Prime and saw that there is a lot of room for expansions in Boston.
    But will they expand the Expo Hall 2013? Is there anything you know about this?
    And another point: Is it true that Pax Prime 2013 will last 4 days?

PAX Prime 2013 will indeed be 4 days (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon). No other details on that yet.

They will likely expand the Expo Hall for East 2013, but it's an unknown at the moment. As you say there is plenty of room at the moment, and Boston and PAX said they'd like to have the show grow steadily over the next few years.

• rygar26rygar26 Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    Was Fantasy Flight at PAX Prime 2012? Last week their website had a "see you at PAX" message, but they weren't listed on the exhibitor list and I couldn't find them anywhere on the show floor. They had a good sized booth last year, so I was surprised they weren't around this time. I wanted to check out the new Star Wars rpg stuff.

rygar26 on
  • LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Hey,

I am really sorry if there is some super-obvious way for me to get this info that I'm missing - this was my first PAX. A buddy of mine picked up a few things at a room in the tabletop area where some very friendly people were leading games of Fiasco, Mouse Guard, etc. There was a small retail area set up to retail those games and some other stuff (sculptures and shirts and such).

Anyway, one of my friend's purchases ended up being a box with a display stand and no actual merchandise due to an honest mistake, and he'd like to get in touch with someone to see if he can remedy. (I am purposefully not saying what "it" was in case we need to do an "Identify the item and I'll ship it to you" thing.) I haven't been able to google-fu up anything on that little micro-retail-stand place or who was operating it. If anyone can give me any information, that would be fantastic... even some more specific details about what floor/room # that area was so that I can search more effectively. None of us have our programs anymore.

Thanks, and sorry again if this is a terrible dumb question to be asking. The thing was not particularly cheap, and was something he was really keen on having.

Leemo on
    Leemo wrote: »
    Hey,

I am really sorry if there is some super-obvious way for me to get this info that I'm missing - this was my first PAX. A buddy of mine picked up a few things at a room in the tabletop area where some very friendly people were leading games of Fiasco, Mouse Guard, etc. There was a small retail area set up to retail those games and some other stuff (sculptures and shirts and such).

Anyway, one of my friend's purchases ended up being a box with a display stand and no actual merchandise due to an honest mistake, and he'd like to get in touch with someone to see if he can remedy. (I am purposefully not saying what "it" was in case we need to do an "Identify the item and I'll ship it to you" thing.) I haven't been able to google-fu up anything on that little micro-retail-stand place or who was operating it. If anyone can give me any information, that would be fantastic... even some more specific details about what floor/room # that area was so that I can search more effectively. None of us have our programs anymore.

Thanks, and sorry again if this is a terrible dumb question to be asking. The thing was not particularly cheap, and was something he was really keen on having.

There should be a full exhibitor guide in the guidebook guide for PAX.

• LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    The trouble is that on the maps this area is simply flagged as "Tabletop Gaming", and the retailer was selling products by multiple companies. Since I have no idea who they were, and there are no booth numbers listed as being a part of the tabletop room, I have no way to figure out who the actual company was, or how to contact them.

People like Burning Wheel were present at the con, but the people at their booth didn't appear to have any knowledge that people were selling Mouseguard downstairs, so I assume they were unaffiliated. This was a room nestled in the tabletop freeplay areas that did have a small cardboard "kissing booth" type desk outside to inform people of what games were currently being demo'd.

• Philip ApontePhilip Aponte Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    The Gazelle mentioned that there would be 3 new PAX-exclusive shirts, 1 being the annual logo shirt. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of pics of said shirts...
    Thanks!

Philip Aponte on
  • DarkdeathEvilmanDarkdeathEvilman Registered User new member
    I was wondering if the results from the PAX tournaments(specifically Brawl) will be posted anytime soon? Im curious as to how my Bowser did in last Saturday's competition!

• DarkdeathEvilmanDarkdeathEvilman Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    *Mods, my post got sent twice accidentally, can you delete this one? Thanks!

DarkdeathEvilman on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    I believe the DoubleFine shirt counted as one:
    df_pax2012.gif

And the Pax Retro Shirt, which I cannot find a picture of reliably. It was in the likeness of an Artai boxart, depicting the main escalator bank of the WSTCC. This description is not doing it justice.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Pax Prime Retro:
    pIg6g.jpg

ItrVoTt.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I wasn't too crazy about any of the exclusive shirts, so I just got a 12PAX one.

Edit: The other shirt just said PRIME with a bunch of gaming shit mixed into the wording, sadly I don't have a picture though.

TheAggroCraig on
  • Philip ApontePhilip Aponte Registered User new member
    thanks! would love to score one of the DF shirts...

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    The other shirt just said PRIME with a bunch of gaming shit mixed into the wording, sadly I don't have a picture though.

That one is exclusive to Prime, but not to 2012. I bought mine either last year or the year before. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • RadioactiveTRadioactiveT Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ok before this gets flagged I would like to state I am not looking for anyone to trade/give me these Im just asking if anyone knows what the total different scarves were?

I have 9 of the scarves and I know for sure Im missing sackboy. Were there a total of 10 or 12 of these?

To my knowledge Sony passed out these ones:

Raiden
    Big Daddy
    Sly
    Ratchet
    Fat Princess
    Drake
    Kratos
    Parappa
    Nariko
    Sackboy

are there any others that Im unaccounted for?
    Thanks.

RadioactiveT on
  • heinekevheinekev Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So I waited in line Sunday for ~ 2 hours to get a Sona skin for myself and my brother. At the end of the line were 2 Riot employees with a cluster of laptops. You filled out a small form (account name, region, and submit) and they said it should show up within the next 12-24 hours. It's been a few days now, still haven't shown up on either of our accounts, and there are NO mentions of this process >anywhere<. It's like this particular line didn't exist. At all.

So: did anyone who went through the line for Sona skins actually get theirs?

heinekev on
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    actually I'll keep this in just the eat one

sanovah on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    I wasn't too crazy about any of the exclusive shirts, so I just got a 12PAX one.

Edit: The other shirt just said PRIME with a bunch of gaming shit mixed into the wording, sadly I don't have a picture though.

The words are made up of Seattle landmarks.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    heinekev wrote: »
    So I waited in line Sunday for ~ 2 hours to get a Sona skin for myself and my brother. At the end of the line were 2 Riot employees with a cluster of laptops. You filled out a small form (account name, region, and submit) and they said it should show up within the next 12-24 hours. It's been a few days now, still haven't shown up on either of our accounts, and there are NO mentions of this process >anywhere<. It's like this particular line didn't exist. At all.

So: did anyone who went through the line for Sona skins actually get theirs?
    My buddy and I got both Arcade Sona and Riot Graves in the afternoon on the 4th (since it is the 5th where I live now technically.) We both used the laptops Riot had setup right away on Friday, so maybe they are doling them out in chronological order of signups? They've had stuff like this (IP boosts and such for Riot's birthdays) roll out to people over a few days before. Rarely has Riot given everything out to everyone the same day.

• AngellisAtterAngellisAtter Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    Can someone help me find the enforcer for that panel on saturday, who is friends with a girl named Ariel?

AngellisAtter on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Leemo wrote: »
    The trouble is that on the maps this area is simply flagged as "Tabletop Gaming", and the retailer was selling products by multiple companies. Since I have no idea who they were, and there are no booth numbers listed as being a part of the tabletop room, I have no way to figure out who the actual company was, or how to contact them.

People like Burning Wheel were present at the con, but the people at their booth didn't appear to have any knowledge that people were selling Mouseguard downstairs, so I assume they were unaffiliated. This was a room nestled in the tabletop freeplay areas that did have a small cardboard "kissing booth" type desk outside to inform people of what games were currently being demo'd.
    That retail space was run by Gamma Ray Games. http://www.gammaraygamestore.com/

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • phicar2phicar2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Can anyone point me in the direction of scoring a DF Pax shirt? Was hoping some would show up on the bay but nothing... Thanks!

phicar2 on
    phicar2 wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of scoring a DF Pax shirt? Was hoping some would show up on the bay but nothing... Thanks!

It's very likely that it was a PAX exclusive.

This discussion has been closed.