As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokemon - Red

bearandkittenbearandkitten Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Blood red.

2007-07-23.jpg

Let us know what you think.

bearandkitten on

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pokeshank!

MKR on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    :D
    Funny, but pretty sketchty (as in it looks like a sketch). There's not much to critique. You could add some backgrounds. Also, what's the big bear saying in the last panel?

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hahahah!

Godfather on
  • BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He's spitting... ptoo

Pretty funny, I laughed inwardly. Art doesn't hurt my eyes, but IS a little sketchy. I'm not sure if backgrounds would work or if simplistic would be better. Might give it a try.

BenGPT on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I also like- has a very PBF feel to it.

One thing that I would say is that the knife changes hands from its left- to its right- to its left. He maybe juggling it, but I think if you keep it in a constant hand it might work better.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Funny once I got what was going on. I honestly think the "shanking" needs to be closer up, or more defined. As is, I thought they were making out until I got to the next panel and the green mob was bleeding out on the floor. Still, first thought was, "bad STD?" Anyways, funny concept I've thought of a few times myself. Pokemon fights to the death is pretty brutal, and should be illegal IMO.

Shiboe on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shiboe wrote: »
    Pokemon fights to the death is pretty brutal, and should be illegal IMO.
    :|

Anyway, I liked it! I think the sketchy feel works well, but I agree that the knife shouldn't switch hands, and more could've been done to highlight it (I didn't notice it in the first panel it came up myself).

Glal on
  • djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Love the sketchy style and discreet coloring. It really works for you. What doesn't work is the lines used to mark the middle panels and the stab wound and blood on the last panel. It looks like you just MS-Painted over your sketch..

Overall you get a 'pretty awesome' though

djFindus on
  • bearandkittenbearandkitten Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the nice comments, all. The "skecthy" art and subtle tones are just part of our comics style. In truth we never really had any strips to post here because we didn't think they'd interest you, but once we had finished this one we figured you might like it. When the joke is about video games this is the place to see if it works, right?

So thanks again for the comments! If you get bored come see our comic, and maybe we'll have some more video game strips to test out on you.

bearandkitten on
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the nice comments, all. The "skecthy" art and subtle tones are just part of our comics style. In truth we never really had any strips to post here because we didn't think they'd interest you, but once we had finished this one we figured you might like it. When the joke is about video games this is the place to see if it works, right?

So thanks again for the comments! If you get bored come see our comic, and maybe we'll have some more video game strips to test out on you.

It doesn't have to be about video games. :P

MKR on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

We don't like webcomics about video games in the artists corner. :)

Lly on
    edited July 2007
    Then read the rest of our comics. This is pretty much our first video game one. See?

2007-07-11.jpg

bearandkitten on
  • HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lol'd. :)

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Then read the rest of our comics. This is pretty much our first video game one.

Besides, Pokemon isn't just a game.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Canada is 1337Canada is 1337 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your website URL is wrong in your sig.

Canada is 1337 on
    edited July 2007
    Your website URL is wrong in your sig.

My goodness you are right. Thanks for the heads up! I figured you guys just weren't interested.

bearandkitten on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    These are good.

You could use some more backgrounds though. A couple of the old ones have them, like the easter one.

It doesn't haveto be anything that takes away from the main focal point, but just something so they're not floating.

earthwormadam on
    edited July 2007
    These are good.

You could use some more backgrounds though. A couple of the old ones have them, like the easter one.

It doesn't haveto be anything that takes away from the main focal point, but just something so they're not floating.

The artist is a graphic designer and not a sequential artist. She draws the comics more as posters or designs. This is why I enjoy working with her so much, because to me, while I love the detailed backgrounds in some of the strips, the lack of background and the silhouette, single line character drawings in certain panels works to separate the comic (from literally hundreds of thousands of others) through a very different artistic style.

This isn't to say that I disagree, it is simply a stylistic choice that the artist made, and one that I tend to agree with.

I do appreciate the feedback though and I enjoy that you guys are really focusing on quality advice!

bearandkitten on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I <3 the little details like the "...shhh" and Kitten walking off in the last panel flipping the pair off.

SpongeCake on
  • mickemicke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Really nice! My kind of humor and a very likable style imho, bookmarked. It will be nice to see how your style develops. :^:

edit: the pouty honey eating in "2007-05-23" was really funny ...and is bear driving a SAAB 900 series in "2007-06-20"? :P

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like it. Don't change a thing.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • EvilKidSteveyEvilKidStevey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The one about cocaine...a least I think it is...is hilarious.
    HAHAHA Just LOL'ed to another:

"Re: Mickey Mouse Black Face

WTF. No. "

EvilKidStevey on
  • BananaChipsBananaChips Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love it, but if there is one thing you should improve the text needs to be larger or more defined, as it stands now a lot of times I find it pretty hard to read.

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2007-05-06.jpg
    Haha, I love this one. The reaction is priceless.

I looked through all your comics and while many of them are pretty damn funny there were times where they seemed a bit confusing as to who was who. Maybe a change of writing or a few additional details might help?

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd just like to say i think the comic is fantastic. It's the kinda thing i'd love a book of. My only difficulty is i sometimes have trouble reading the text, it can be a bit small.

it reminds me a bit of Jamie Smart's Bear comics in vibe, which is great... lots of people try to pull off the "random senseless violence is funny!" thing and rarely manage it, they end up coming off pretty lame, but this stuff is great.

I adore the last panel in the drop bear strike comic, with kitten on bear's head.

so yeah, great strip. it made me laugh out loud several times... which almost never happens.

edit... omg fez helmet

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
    edited July 2007

I looked through all your comics and while many of them are pretty damn funny there were times where they seemed a bit confusing as to who was who. Maybe a change of writing or a few additional details might help?

Kitten is the little one.

SpongeCake on
    edited July 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »

Kitten is the little one.

Yeah. I don't draw that well, but come on... :P

Really, I can see where people are coming from with the type. I think I'm getting better about it. It's just that I'm trained to think anything above 7 pt is tacky.

But we're still pretty new and still ironing things out. So thank you for the feedback, it means a lot.

(Kitten)

bearandkitten on
    edited July 2007
    On the subject of typeface, some of the signs and what-not - where it's obviously been typed and not written - look a little out of place. Like in the Koi-carp/champagne and maternity ward comics.

SpongeCake on
    edited July 2007
    You might want to consider just making your own font(s). :P

MKR on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ahahaha

"That would be the 90s. Which is great, because that's when I turned 13. The 90s were a sexy time. It's safe to say I jerked off to every actor on TGIF."

This stuff is great.

Brolo on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Great. Now I'm hooked.

Read today's update, still love it.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2007-04-25.jpg

Haha, best ending line ever!

Some of the comics seem a bit crowded and sometimes text-heavy, but overall it's pretty awesome. To me it's vaguely reminiscent of White Ninja Comics for some reason, but less dumb.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited July 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    You might want to consider just making your own font(s). :P

Yep, this is on my list (somewhere). I need to find a version of fontographer that works, first.

I worry that it will lose something though. I dunno. Does anyone have experience with this?

bearandkitten on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The handwriting is fine. Just make the images themselves bigger and they will become more readable.

earthwormadam on