As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Inappropriate udders, page 5

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Nic wrote:
    I have zero things in terms of constructive criticism to submit, but I will say that your work is always inspirational and encouraging to see. Keep getting better.

Gonna just say that this bears repeating, your art almost never fails to make me smile. :^:

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mini update with a commission piece for an album cover. I hate hate how stiff the second figure is, I really fucked it up, but tight deadline so no time to redraw, sadly.

EO_cover.jpg

• Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    It's still really nice though! Wish I could see how you do these beautiful landscapes in person. But, yeah, both figures are a little stiff. They feel like they don't have enough weight or movement to them. Guy on the left especially seems like he could fall backwards. Torso should be angled forward, I think, unless the figures walking down a steep incline. I have the same problem sometimes too, but I find I can mitigate it a little bit by really exaggerating the gesture and rhythm in the sketch stage. It's easier to knock it back than build it up again later.

There was something important here. It's gone now.
    well i can strip back the layers if you're interested in the process, don't know if that's helpful.

EOcover_p0.jpg

EOcover_p1.jpg

EOcover_p2.jpg

Another commission, I'm going to try and post fairly detailed progress shots on this one in the hopes of catching problems as they arise, instead of in retrospect.

Sketch (pose selected by the client from a range of choices)

centaur_p1.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is the bottom sketch accurate as to how you normally build up your figures? If it is, your whispy lines probably aren't helping you get fluid gestures. I don't know if you remember my much older work, but I'm no stranger to stray pencil lines and short strokes. It takes some training, but if you clean up a bit more as you go, and try to make more solid, singular, distinguished stokes, you may have an easier time finding the natural flow of things. I like the quality of most of your drawings, but sometimes it seems like you don't have control over the whispy-ness.

I like the album cover, either way. The mood is great!

Umm. I'm not sure it's completely typical, because I was kind of noodling around trying to get a feel for how horses work, but it's probably not untypical either. Sometimes I just block in shapes and pare back from that, but either way I think I'm scared of losing energy by going for too definite a line. Which is silly, because you're right, the messiness and lack of focus is probably contributing to the eventual and inevitable stiffness. I'll try your suggestion.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    More insects! more animals ! ! please !

(this all look just awesome, I was away some years and I didnt know the digital part of your art, wich really BLEW MY MIND. still I love your ink stuff, and would love to see more insects inked)

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    Blocking in shapes is fun, but I would totally play with line and keeping your hand steady. Its a good skill to have in the toolbox

Probably gonna go with something like this:

centaur_p2.jpg

• wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    Not too comprehensive, but I recommend searching for Ellenberger's Atlas of Animal Anatomy. The whole thing is online for free. I know this is supposed to be cartoony, but the rhythm in the horse's form looks a little uninformed.

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
    edited March 2012
    It certainly is uninformed, and I'll have a look for the book, but could you elaborate a little more on what you mean? I'm not sure I understand. Unless you're just talking about general anatomical uncertainty I guess.

tynic on
    i guess it's been a while? let's see

finished that commission up there. Definitely still don't know enough about horses. Learnt a lot about keytars though.

centaur_fin_small.jpg

Have not had time for much drawing at all over the last month. Just some doodles and face sketches from watching TV

tumblr_m2wnvcq2S81qffewio1_500.jpg

tumblr_m35pbwoaX11qffewio1_500.jpg

tumblr_m35xndcAn51qffewio1_500.jpg

Couple of portraits, already posted in the sketch-a-forumer thread. I'd like to get time to do some more of these, portraits are fun.

t_man.jpg

firman_fin_col.jpg

New commission, which I am very behind on.

sketch:

sassacre_sketch.jpg

just starting to paint over the colour roughs.

sassacre_sketch4.jpg

cleaning up the face a bit

sass_face.jpg

in the middle of a speedpaint, gonna finish later tonight.

d_city_p2.jpg

d_city_p3.jpg

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    that looks really awesome! it must have taken forever to do all of those windowframes

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    looks pretty great, tynic

thanks chappies. Never painting a building again ever ever ...

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    aw, but landscapes are so neat

fuckkkkk haven't touched this commission for over a month. Ok gonna try and knock it out. Progress shots

sassacre_prog6.jpg

(hated the pose I had for the batterwitch, changed it up, much happier now)

batterwitch_paint1.jpg

progress on the painting I posted in the doodle thread.

ff_prog2.jpg

Calling it done. Could polish (quite a lot!), but probably not worth the effort given the time I have.

ff_fin.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    That's just beautiful.

Draw an egg.
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    much improvement tynic! I would recommend using as plain a brush setting as possible. This will help strengthen your painting by not disguising your mistakes.

Commission finished! only like two ... three months late? four at most.

As always, there's stuff that could be fixed and I know about most of it but have decided to call it quits, time-wise. I learnt a buttload from this one, which is the important thing.

SassacreFin_Med.jpg

beaglepuss_det.jpg

batterwitch_det.jpg

halley_det.jpg

sassacre_det.jpg

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    beautiful !

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    edited September 2012
    thanks, fantomas!

Took a few minutes today to go and fix up some bits of a previous painting, in line with some of @Angel_of_Bacon 's suggestions

tumblr_ma1fzsdQsj1qffewio1_1280.jpg

tynic on
  • HalenHalen Registered User regular
    That's awesome. Awesome awesome.

If I was going to pick at tiny details, I might say there's something off with the foreshortening on her left foot, but seriously, I was looking at it for ages before I even thought that.

Draw an egg.
    Idiotically took a commision right before leaving the country (and my computer) so had to largely paint it on my iPad. Quality has suffered. Never doing that again and also spending the next week on gestures and figures because goddamn I still suck at all of that.

vOCNrRr.jpg

The texture of the trees is pretty lovely, looks convincingly like water color.

Thanks, that's about the only part I'm happy with!
    I'm hoping life will calm down a bit over the next month and I can you know. Draw some.

another commission. I'm pretty happy with the water on this one, tbh.

I3xhFJC.jpg

Oh that's right, I was originally gonna finish this in time for the march personal development thing. Haha. Anyway I saved some sketches and progression shots for that purpose, so wev:

qZb0lzH.jpg

Pv2qDeB.jpg

u8Hbdud.jpg

6oHVQfB.jpg

and a vid I made of some of the painting process (cause I couldn't livestream at that time, thought it might help me stay focussed. It did, actually).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs9P619vZ8s

couple of photoref speedpaints, an abandoned painting, starting over

varanasil1.jpg

varanasil2.jpg

sewer1_fluckit.jpg

sewer2_sketch.jpg

• MyGfsDogMyGfsDog Registered User regular
    Your mermaid painting kinda reminds me of the ones by Waterhouse.

• ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    diggin those cityscapes fo sho, especially the top one

edited August 2013
    commission work, and a half-finished sketch for actual day-job work, which I'm too tired to work more on tonight

A6PkHwr.jpg

45aOY2ql.jpg

tynic on
  • nocuddletimenocuddletime Registered User regular
    These look great I swear I had a base in Terraria that looked just like that top one.

93acff97bUk2g.gif
    realised I have got completely out of the habit of posting WIPs in here, and that might be beneficial. So, progress on a current commission.

threw up a few options for layout sketches, based on the brief:

forest_dude_s1.jpg

forest_dude_s2.jpg

forest_dude_s3.jpg

forest_dude_s4.jpg

(last two are actually expanded sketches requested by client, I liked 4 but he preferred 3)

Layout settled, lighting and approximate colour palette

forest_dude_light.jpg

painting ...

forest_dude_paint1.jpg

Face might be a bit skew-iff, and forearms are both slightly whack, I'll be fixing 'em.

Work has been insane. FINALLY finished up the above:

gm_forest_com.jpg

Ended up being rather experimental. Details

gm_forest_detail1.jpg

gm_forest_detail2.jpg

gm_forest_detail3.jpg