As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Rin_ArtifactRin_Artifact Registered User regular
    I think this is pretty much required if you want decent graphics. Oh well, it's not like there were high expectations for the PC port.

The guy who made is a hero, of course!

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Honestly Blighttown is fun. It's a good place to invade people.
    That sounds like videogame hazing. "Yeah, you know this unfun, laggy, confusing, ugly place? Enjoy random asshats coming in to make it worse for you".
    I think I'd just yank my ethernet cable out if it happened to me, I hated the place enough without that.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Invaders have to use the terain to their advantage because they'll ususally be against 2-3 people. If you don't want the threat of invasions then you don't get helpers. Fair is fair.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Okay, so I'm exploring the Tomb of the Giants.
    Okay, first, the giant dog things are really annoying. They barely have vulnerability frames, they just keep attacking and destroying through my shield.

Second - how do people ever manage to get past this place without the Light spell? Seriously, I'd be tearing my hair out.

And finally, I did manage to get to Nito. But since my only divine weapon (to keep the skeletons from respawning) is a crappy silver spear that takes no less than four hits to take even the small skeletons down, this is likely to be a tad difficult. I died the first time, with all my 45000 souls. Ah well.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Sunlight Maggot helmet gives permiment light arround you. Other inferior options are the Light spell or a Lantern (which makes you have to 1hand without a shield).

• MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I went through the entire place with the lantern, not even knowing that there were other options, only to find out that I needed the lordvessel to actually get to the end of it.

Fun times.

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    My favourite thing back on the PS3 was clearing out the massive room before S&O and just having big fights in the centre. It was always deeply amusing when the invaders would run off to random spots and try and get me to chase them so they could ambush me around a corner or throw dung and Lloyd's Talismans at me so I couldn't Estus. No guy, we're fighting on my terms, and the Lloyd's doesn't work because I have a stack of 99 humanity to use for healing :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    The whole 'I'm not left handed' trick also totally works in PvP. Switching weapons or suddently thowing out manually aimed spells throws people off guard.

Speaking of which, it was cute killing anti-lockon ring users with Pyromancy back in the day. Silly people that think spells need auto-targeting to hit when they're all manually aimable.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The whole 'I'm not left handed' trick also totally works in PvP. Switching weapons or suddently thowing out manually aimed spells throws people off guard.

Is this a Sket Dance reference???

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    ...Have you seriously never watched The Princess Bride?

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    ...Have you seriously never watched The Princess Bride?

Oh, just once, I don't really remember the movie much anymore.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Blighttown was nothing for me...but I skipped almost all of it. If you use the VoD entrance, you end up very close to the boss area.

That said, I lost 40,000 souls and 10 humanity trying to leave. So, fuck that place.

I feel I may have expressed conflicting opinions here, but whatever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...so I was playing with a random soundtrack, and this came on.

Now I need to make a new character, strength primary with faith secondary, name him Glenn, and help ALL the people. Is there any way to make the Greatsword of Artorias good? Because it really looks like the best fit for Masamune.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Sunlight Maggot helmet gives permiment light arround you. Other inferior options are the Light spell or a Lantern (which makes you have to 1hand without a shield).

If, in your other hand, you have a +5 Fire Zweihander then that's not a huge problem.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Now onto Week 2+ of not being able to play this on my computer because for some reason Microsoft has locked me out of the PC side of Live. 360 Version of Live account... peachy keen, but 'Someone else might have maybe possibly used your account' so we've locked that PC login's goose tighter than Fort Knox.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm planning on using the winged spear for a while, I like the reach of it. And I want to get my strength and dexterity high enough to use a huge ass anime sword anyway. :)

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Honestly Blighttown is fun. It's a good place to invade people.

My favorite place to invade is the New Londo Ruins right before four kings. So good. So, so good.

Also, nailing fog-ringers with manual soulspears was tremendously satisfying. Just use your shield like a targeting reticule and you're good.

Sokpuppet on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm growing impatient with my physical box shipment. Still waiting on it to show up with all it's awesome goodies.
    Wulf wrote: »
    Now onto Week 2+ of not being able to play this on my computer because for some reason Microsoft has locked me out of the PC side of Live. 360 Version of Live account... peachy keen, but 'Someone else might have maybe possibly used your account' so we've locked that PC login's goose tighter than Fort Knox.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still waiting on my boxed 'collectors' edition to arrive, which shipped 4 days late, and then apparently got lost in the ocean somewhere and eaten by a shark.

• Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    i don't have combustion, i haven't found the pyromancer teacher guy. can i level up the flame before i find that guy? i don't even know where to look for him

Oh, hah. I gave you bad advice. You don't find the pyro teacher until after you beat the Capra Demon. Sorry about that.

Goddammit, what kind of asshole invades right before Capra? I was human, I guess I should have planned on being invaded instead of finding someone to help me, but man is that frustrating. I hit the jerk with a couple of fireballs, but then I got stabbed with a curvy sword and starting bleeding and then stabbed again and I was dead

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Speaking of invasions, how much PVP have people been seeing on 360? I've only been invaded once, and I picked the guy off easy.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Goddammit, what kind of asshole invades right before Capra? I was human, I guess I should have planned on being invaded instead of finding someone to help me, but man is that frustrating. I hit the jerk with a couple of fireballs, but then I got stabbed with a curvy sword and starting bleeding and then stabbed again and I was dead

All of them. Most of the PVE hotspots are also PVP hotspots simply because PVPers know people having trouble with a boss will be attempting co-op in the area.

• ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Shen wrote: »
    Haha, I'm in Anor Londo and I skipped Capra and Gaping, eff those bosses and eff their areas.

Am I the only one who thought Capra Demon was easy? Got him first try, and his little dogs too!

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
    Always expect to be invaded when you're in human form.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    When I started playing, my router had a restricted NAT, so I'd always see people's messages, ghosts and the works. Several times I saw fog on the doors meaning I was being invaded but nobody ever did.

Since I fixed my router to have an Open NAT, I get quite a lot of succesful invasions. I have yet to be able to co-op though. So what I'm saying is that if you're really not into PVP, setting your router to show up as having a restricted NAT, seems to allow you to enjoy online stuff, without PVP.

Supposedly joining the co-op friendly covenants reduces your invasions as well.

what does restricted NAT even mean? I am in a co-op covenant-- the way of white.

edited September 2012
    I had some real issues summoning people for help for S&O last night. It took almost 12 minutes at one point.

And the third time I did so, I lost in like 10 seconds. I was so embarrassed.

Drez on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    what does restricted NAT even mean? I am in a co-op covenant-- the way of white.

I dunno, my router is horrible. If I forward ports for any other app, then it decides that my NAT is restricted, so the only way I got it to be Open was that I set my router back to default settings.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Always expect to be invaded when you're in human form.

There is also a limit to being invaded. I don't remember how long it is, but if you get invaded once and die, you won't get invaded again immediately afterwards.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    When I played on the PS3, S&O was the hot spot for invasions, and typically it's a horrible setup where the invaders were mostly high-dex gankers with no sense of honor waiting in the large room and wouldn't let us clear the giants first.

My favorite spot as a sun-bro to assist is actually the painted world. Good geography that helps in defense, and chokepoints where I can hold off invaders indefinitely as the host makes a dash for Priscilla.

Where's a good, fast place to farm souls at this point for me?

I'm at:
    Second bonfire of Anor Londo.

I can farm the three silver knights right there quite easily for 3k souls in about 15-30 seconds. Any other ideas? This is faster than Darkroot Garden but I'm sure there must be a better time-to-souls ratio area around here.

Someone somewhere mentioned the Painted World or whatever. How about that? Easy to farm?

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »
    Haha, I'm in Anor Londo and I skipped Capra and Gaping, eff those bosses and eff their areas.

Am I the only one who thought Capra Demon was easy? Got him first try, and his little dogs too!

Nah, Capra is always easy because I max endurance first on every character I make. It's just that I've played a combined... 300 hours? More? Of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, so I've little patience for messing around in areas with almost no loot, and as I already have platinum on PS3 I feel fine missing out on the achievements.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    I'm growing impatient with my physical box shipment. Still waiting on it to show up with all it's awesome goodies.
    Wulf wrote: »

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still waiting on my boxed 'collectors' edition to arrive, which shipped 4 days late, and then apparently got lost in the ocean somewhere and eaten by a shark.

At least the shark is having fun ;_;

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
    Excision wrote: »

Nah, Capra is always easy because I max endurance first on every character I make. It's just that I've played a combined... 300 hours? More? Of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, so I've little patience for messing around in areas with almost no loot, and as I already have platinum on PS3 I feel fine missing out on the achievements.

Capra was easy for me. He killed me the first time I fought him, but I kicked his ass the second time. I can understand why it would frustrate people - such a small area, plus dogs, plus he's right in your face almost immediately.

edited September 2012
    Drez wrote: »

I'm at:

I can farm the three silver knights right there quite easily for 3k souls in about 15-30 seconds. Any other ideas? This is faster than Darkroot Garden but I'm sure there must be a better time-to-souls ratio area around here.

Someone somewhere mentioned the Painted World or whatever. How about that? Easy to farm?

Silver Knights are probably your best bet honestly. Painted World is solid but it's a decent trek to get access to it from where you are if you don't have the doll already, and the farmed enemy can still be a bit annoying. You can also throw some of the other silver knights into your rotation that are on the non-shortcut route, and you could always toss your summon sign down while farming them and get a decent chance of getting summoned.

Corpekata on
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

I'm at:

Silver Knights are probably your best bet honestly. Painted World is solid but it's a decent trek to get access to it from where you are if you don't have the doll already, and the farmed enemy can still be a bit annoying. You can also throw some of the other silver knights into your rotation that are on the non-shortcut route, and you could always toss your summon sign down while farming them and get a decent chance of getting summoned.

Pretty much this. Put down your summon sign at the bonfire for people doing S&O runs and keep on farming silver knights in the meantime. S&O runs alone will net you a lot of souls and humanity. Just keep in mind that most people will have a preference on who they want to kill first. My own rule of thumb is to see who the host is attacking, then turn around and tank the other one and wait until the host kills his/her target of choice.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »

I'm at:

Pretty much this. Put down your summon sign at the bonfire for people doing S&O runs and keep on farming silver knights in the meantime. S&O runs alone will net you a lot of souls and humanity. Just keep in mind that most people will have a preference on who they want to kill first. My own rule of thumb is to see who the host is attacking, then turn around and tank the other one and wait until the host kills his/her target of choice.

Yep, I got at least 400k souls on my PS3 file from helping people do S&O. I forget how much it is, but it's quite a lot each time. I think NG+ S&O give helper phantoms 50k souls, and at SL ~70 I was getting summoned into either.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »

I'm at:

Yeah, Painted World requires some specific stuff, you need some kind of wide-area magic to make use of it, and it's work to get access, and work to get out when you're done.

As for O&S, yeah, best to see who the host is after. Then decide if you can help kill it or should be drawing the other off.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.