As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]NICE is full. Draygo's guild too. Ask Entaru about Candymancers on Aspenwood.

1929394959698»

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Enemies in GW2 don't all just have random agro. Different ones have different patterns, especially the bosses.

Besides that, there are TONS of ways to "redirect" enemy attention in this game. You just "tank" by using conditions and position moves.

Just off the top of my head, on my guardian, these are the things I can do to redirect enemies, and this doesn't even include things like blinds which I have tons of to make enemies miss, which is way of preventing incoming damage:

Shield: aoe knockback move to blast melees away from my squishy teammates
    2h hammer: single target knockback, multi target immobilize, create a ring of terrain that enemies can't cross, so you can trap them in, or trap them outside to protect people
    2h sword: #5 lets you chain enemies then pull them to you, pulling them off your allies
    Staff: You shall not pass gandalf line enemies can't cross.

That doesn't count the utilities I have that let me do similar things.

I play my guardian as a support tank, and coming from somebody who has mained tanks in every MMO pretty much ever, I can tell you that the "tanking" in this game, using blinds, combo fields for retaliation and aoe cleanses, putting down symbols to buff allies, and using the reposition moves to move the enemies around the battlefield as I need to is by far the most rewarding gameplay I've ever had in an MMO.

It's basically an action game put into an MMO, and it's done fantastically. It just requires people to use different utilites/sometimes weapons and skills they don't develop while just doing the solo content.

A good example is my buddy who plays a thief. All he really knew how to do was kill stuff. Once we got into dungeons, we had to get him to understand using offhand pistol for the daze to interrupt and eat boss' defiance stacks, and using pistol's #5 for a pulsing aoe blind were much more important than him just trying to kill everything as fast as possible.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Meister wrote: »

Huh. That happened to me too, actually. I was level 36 or so when I got around to doing the 30 quest, and so when it jumped to 48 I just leveled to 48. I didn't realize that I missed a ton of quests for some reason, as I didn't notice it referencing things I hadn't done.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Fyction wrote: »
    Hey I'm at PAX and having trouble skimming info on the GW2 release party. Anyone have a link?
    Also, necro > elementalist as far as PVP fun :D

Pink, Saturday, 6-10pm. Pink is the nightclub on the top floor of Pacific Place, very close to the convention center.

It was great to see you, @fyction!

Did anybody else come? I think he was the only forumer who introduced himself.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    @Fiaryn Bosses aren't immune to CC, you just need to coordinate how to utilize it. Watch the counter and have teammates set them up for the important stun/knockdown/knockback.

The only boss I've seen not shrug off Cripple (as an example) so far are weakling mid-bosses like Sariel and the like. If this pattern changes, I will be delighted.

I think he's talking about defiant, which is the one that says only one out of every X knockback/stun/etc will work, in which case you take the longest duration CC you've got (like engineer big bomb for instance) and make sure that's the one that hits.

For some bosses the Defiant tooltips says CCs will remove one stack from the Defiant boon. I haven't really (intentionally) experimented with what happens as you knock those counters off but they do seem to die much faster when it's close to or at zero.

The defiant boon, afaik, is just stacks of immunity, so you can't stunlock the boss. I could be wrong, but I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of damage they take.

This is correct. What my groups do is coordinate to use "weaker" CCs like the thief offhand pistol 1/4s daze to knock stacks off, then use things like guardian hammer of wisdom 3 second knockdown when the boss is vulnerable to CC again.

The combat in this game has so much depth most people don't even know about yet.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    NEW THREAD GO POST IN IT BAM: forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166520/gw2welcome-to-shiashis-house-of-yolo-deep-fried-pancakes-and-dye-puns

488W936.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    That's not a link!

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    oops new thread

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Enemies in GW2 don't all just have random agro. Different ones have different patterns, especially the bosses.

Besides that, there are TONS of ways to "redirect" enemy attention in this game. You just "tank" by using conditions and position moves.

Just off the top of my head, on my guardian, these are the things I can do to redirect enemies, and this doesn't even include things like blinds which I have tons of to make enemies miss, which is way of preventing incoming damage:

2h hammer: single target knockback, multi target immobilize, create a ring of terrain that enemies can't cross, so you can trap them in, or trap them outside to protect people
    2h sword: #5 lets you chain enemies then pull them to you, pulling them off your allies

As a fellow guardian, I found that almost none of that stuff worked on actual bosses. The lovers, for example, appeared immune to every single knockback I had.

No one is denying we have the tools to control monsters: people are pointing out that if you have no aggro mechanics *and* the bosses are immune to all your normal control abilities, you can have problems.

That is weird, considering that I don't even thing the lovers have defiant. Every knockback I had worked on them, which made sense to me since it's the point of the fight.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Plus there's about a dozen boulders sitting around that you can all use to seperate them with (which is hilarious to see).

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Joshmvii wrote: »

That doesn't count the utilities I have that let me do similar things.

I play my guardian as a support tank, and coming from somebody who has mained tanks in every MMO pretty much ever, I can tell you that the "tanking" in this game, using blinds, combo fields for retaliation and aoe cleanses, putting down symbols to buff allies, and using the reposition moves to move the enemies around the battlefield as I need to is by far the most rewarding gameplay I've ever had in an MMO.

It's basically an action game put into an MMO, and it's done fantastically. It just requires people to use different utilites/sometimes weapons and skills they don't develop while just doing the solo content.

A good example is my buddy who plays a thief. All he really knew how to do was kill stuff. Once we got into dungeons, we had to get him to understand using offhand pistol for the daze to interrupt and eat boss' defiance stacks, and using pistol's #5 for a pulsing aoe blind were much more important than him just trying to kill everything as fast as possible.

This is exactly what i'm talking about. People are not approaching things in the right way. I get that some people are new to MMO's and that's fine they have a whole different learning curve to ride, i'm talking about the differences between other MMO's and this one in terms of dungeon mechanics. That is the problem most MMO vets will have, they think they can approach it in the same manner as other MMO's and that is not true at all. You see it in the way they talk about dungeons, how the "trash" should be toned down, how the bosses are too difficult. The game is still new, and people need to shed their misconceptions and their knowledge of other dungeons and really look at what is going on in these ones and see what they can do.

My very first dungeon I started with my standard PvE damaging build on my thief. Halfway through I saw it was not going to work that way and by the end of the dungeon I had pretty much swapped out every aspect of my old build, had bought 3 new skills I never had to use before and had to change my whole playstyle to adapt. Once I did that things went much better. (It helped that my group was somewhat adaptable as well, things were going pretty smoothly towards the end once we all got our sea legs so to speak)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    This is exactly what i'm talking about. People are not approaching things in the right way. I get that some people are new to MMO's and that's fine they have a whole different learning curve to ride, i'm talking about the differences between other MMO's and this one in terms of dungeon mechanics. That is the problem most MMO vets will have, they think they can approach it in the same manner as other MMO's and that is not true at all. You see it in the way they talk about dungeons, how the "trash" should be toned down, how the bosses are too difficult. The game is still new, and people need to shed their misconceptions and their knowledge of other dungeons and really look at what is going on in these ones and see what they can do.

My very first dungeon I started with my standard PvE damaging build on my thief. Halfway through I saw it was not going to work that way and by the end of the dungeon I had pretty much swapped out every aspect of my old build, had bought 3 new skills I never had to use before and had to change my whole playstyle to adapt. Once I did that things went much better. (It helped that my group was somewhat adaptable as well, things were going pretty smoothly towards the end once we all got our sea legs so to speak)

My first dungeon we 4 manned, and outside the Lovers crushed it (well, it was hairy at first, but we never wiped more than once on a boss). Only one person in the group had been there before.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    Plus there's about a dozen boulders sitting around that you can all use to seperate them with (which is hilarious to see).

Yeah the boulders are instrumental in the first dungeon. It's kind of why they are all over the place. It gives everyone the ability to knock enemies down and the ability to separate the lovers. Hell they give you access to 5 or 6 boulders right before the lovers fight.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.