As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Resistance [BSG-esque PBP Game] [GAME OVER-SPIES WIN]

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So here are the vote records:

Mission#1 Proposal#1
    Everyone "yes" but Egos (why vote no the first proposal???)

Mission#2 Proposal #1: The mission 1 team + 1 new
    YES- Me, mi-go, blah, Tayrun
    NO- Damonis, Egos, kilnaga, filmflam
    ABSTAIN- blah, doodles, cerebus

Mission#2 Proposal #2: 2 from mission one + 2 new
    1. Blahmcblah - NO
    2. Damonis - YES
    3. Egos - YES
    4. kilnaga - YES
    5. mi-go hunter - YES
    6. doodles613 - NO (Abstain)
    7. Mr Body - NO (Abstain)
    8. Flimflammery - YES
    9. Cerberus - YES
    10. Tayrun - YES

Has doodles been active yet this game?

I'm very suspect of the people who voted no for this mission's first proposal then yes to the second.

I'm fairly certain there was only one spy on that last mission. They don't know how the other is going to vote so I don't think one would vote "support" and hope the other votes "sabotage". By that same logic I don't think a spy mission leader would ever include other spies on a mission.

I question Flimflam's judgement when it comes to the rotation issues, but I'm leaning towards him not being a spy. I think it was either Cerebus or Tayrun. There's a decent chance there were no spies on the first mission and Cerebus chose himself to sabotage, but Tayrun has played before and I can picture him going with the sleeper strategy. The amount of accusations he's made against mi-go - who I'm convinced is resistance - has also been...overly modest.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

Mission#1 Proposal#1

Cerberus wrote: »
    Why the vote of no Egos?

Because the Shadow doesn't trust Dan "The Imperial Spy"'s approval?

To be fair on the second No. I missed/forgot about the leader passing on and thought I was voting on flimflam's second idea. This isn't to say I would have voted yes on the first plan. But up to you to decide. To be honest it would have probably still been no with me hoping to get one new person in.

You can judge for yourself here whether you think I was fully aware that his second plan was not ok (That is if I knew he could do it or not). As mentioned I was debating about the *ACTUAL* first proposal.

and no doodles hasn't been active at all as far I know. he hasn't posted at all.

Egos wrote: »
    As mentioned I was debating about the *ACTUAL* first proposal.

Actually it's more implied in the first post, by saying I didn't vote till later but you get the idea :I

(bloody no editing)

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I suppose I must have confused a lot of people with my second proposal; probably shouldn't have done it, I only did because I was having major misgivings about my first choice, that had been chosen in a bit of a hurry because I wasn't sure of the deadline; plus of course, it had been a while and we'd had no confirmation of the results, probably as a result of PAX. So yeah, a combination of factors made me do something very unwise.

Not to say that my second choice was actually any better, though, I definitely now think that partially rotating members is a much better way to go than completely changing up.

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Not to say that my second choice was actually any better, though, I definitely now think that partially rotating members is a much better way to go than completely changing up.

Yeah changing it up completely is probably worse than just taking the first mission's team+1 for the second mission. I think of it similar to solving a sudoku, you want to be able to compare data points from completely different configurations.

MrBody actually made a good point earlier, something I hadn't realised - I do perhaps focus too much on solving for who the spies are, rather than prioritising mission victories. That tends to be how I play games though, I prioritise a long term victory over a short term gain.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Yes, voting records are important. I really wish I hadn't been away for the second vote. I'll definitely vote yes on this proposal, as I think we have a high probability of success.

Mission#1 Proposal#1

In addition to the Daemonis thing. I also over-thought it a bit, since blah and myself were a bit suspicious of Tayrun. I thought someone (if not Tayrun himself) may take advantage of that and ruin the mission if there happened to be a spy on-board the mission (that is to say if something did go wrong , they might assume we would go "TAYRUN!"- that is to say if it wasn't Tayrun. Then Daemonis added his vocal support which kinda cemented a no :/

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I was just joking when I called Tayrun a spy, as I assume he was when he called me one before the game started. :) Of course he'll say he wasn't joking, although he did just put me on the team for this mission... :P

blahmcblah wrote: »
    I was just joking when I called Tayrun a spy, as I assume he was when he called me one before the game started. :) Of course he'll say he wasn't joking, although he did just put me on the team for this mission... :P

I was legit totes 100% sure you were a spy before we started playing, spymcspyspy.

• doodles613doodles613 Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, I am really sorry I have not been around, I had some long work shifts recently and kinda had to put the game on the back burner. I am reading now to catch up on what happened

WOW, so I just read a tonnnnnnn of stuff. I think this is pretty crazy. I would almost suspect Flimflammery of being a spy just from all the confusion he caused. This is only the second mission, its 1-1, and we are in a terrible position becuase we gained 0 information from the last plan. The first mission passed, but that is not assurance that there were no spys, they might not want to give up their hand right away. The second mission was a terribly ill conceived plan, made even worse by a second plan, a lot of confusion, and no possible way of gaining information becuase it only had 1 fail and 4 new people...that is, if I am even understanding correctly what happened. Are we allowed to make some sort of chart to track the information anyone?

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm voting yes on this proposal, though I don't entirely trust Tayrun. If Mi-Go or Blah turn out to be spies then I'll personally hand them the Oscar for best Mafia actors of the year. They've just argued too much against the bad plans and for the best plans convincingly. I'm 100% going with them as resistance.

The last "rotation proposal" was a disaster but I'm thinking Flim might have truly thought it was the best move rather than intentional sabotage. I'm getting the feeling Tayrun's second mission votes were more for including himself. He's been throwing accusations of mistrust against the most trustworthy people from the beginning and seems to try disguising it as roleplaying. That's a very good spy tactic to argue a sound principle for resistance victory, then garner mistrust for the most likely resistance members.

This game is working out kind of like reverse BSG. In that game the humans stick to winning and Cylon hunting is secondary. The biggest Cylon mistake is to prioritize concealment over sabotage, thinking they're going to hit payday by staying hidden the longest and before they know it the humans are about to win and they haven't done any damage. Here it's the "human" side that's worried more about catching Cylons than actually winning. We don't have to catch spies; we just have to include likely resistance. That arbitrary rotation strategy was the BSG equivalent of blowing all your cards to reveal loyalty then having none left over for crises, only we didn't even figure out loyalty!

If this next mission fails I'm guaranteeing Tayrun is a spy. But if that happens I think we're boned anyway. We'd have to succeed at both remaining missions, they're the hardest in the game, and we'd be taking total guesses on two more people. That's why we shouldn't have "punted" the last mission for the sake of curiosity. We should have counted on the 5th hardest mission to fail and we blew our one safety in the 2nd.

MrBody on
  • FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    I still don't think the last plan was a disaster. Maybe you're right and we should prioritise winning missions over finding spies. However, just from the conversation that has gone on and the voting that has taken place I feel a lot more secure about some of the choices being made, and am more convinced than before of the honesty of most of our current team. Fingers crossed that conviction is not misplaced

Doodles, we did not use four new members for the last plan, we used two new members and two from the original team. If, as I strongly suspect, Cerberus was the saboteur, that mission was doomed anyway, as he was hardly likely not to take himself along (following Tayrun's criticism of that idea).

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    How am I suspected here more than Tayrun and Glum? Crazy! I did everything I could to get the team agreement on the mission plan before putting it in stone. My initial suggestion was we use the original team and it got argued against. I even said I'd put forward a team of the originals and someone other than me to help weed someone out. If I was a spy why would I offer to do that? Unless I knew there was already a spy on the mission. Which seems unlikely as I put myself on the mission and there was only one sabotage. I'd be suspicious of me and flim in your shoes but I'm telling you now you are wrong and I bet you see that by game end. Sorry for disjointed post, am phone posting.

Tayrun and Flim... stupid phone.

I'm voting yes on this proposal, though I don't entirely trust Tayrun. If Mi-Go or Blah turn out to be spies then I'll personally hand them the Oscar for best Mafia actors of the year. They've just argued too much against the bad plans and for the best plans convincingly. I'm 100% going with them as resistance.

The last "rotation proposal" was a disaster but I'm thinking Flim might have truly thought it was the best move rather than intentional sabotage. I'm getting the feeling Tayrun's second mission votes were more for including himself. He's been throwing accusations of mistrust against the most trustworthy people from the beginning and seems to try disguising it as roleplaying. That's a very good spy tactic to argue a sound principle for resistance victory, then garner mistrust for the most likely resistance members.

This game is working out kind of like reverse BSG. In that game the humans stick to winning and Cylon hunting is secondary. The biggest Cylon mistake is to prioritize concealment over sabotage, thinking they're going to hit payday by staying hidden the longest and before they know it the humans are about to win and they haven't done any damage. Here it's the "human" side that's worried more about catching Cylons than actually winning. We don't have to catch spies; we just have to include likely resistance. That arbitrary rotation strategy was the BSG equivalent of blowing all your cards to reveal loyalty then having none left over for crises, only we didn't even figure out loyalty!

If this next mission fails I'm guaranteeing Tayrun is a spy. But if that happens I think we're boned anyway. We'd have to succeed at both remaining missions, they're the hardest in the game, and we'd be taking total guesses on two more people. That's why we shouldn't have "punted" the last mission for the sake of curiosity. We should have counted on the 5th hardest mission to fail and we blew our one safety in the 2nd.

This is goddamn hilarious. I recommend you all reread it after the game ends for lulz.

How am I suspected here more than Tayrun and Glum? Crazy! I did everything I could to get the team agreement on the mission plan before putting it in stone. My initial suggestion was we use the original team and it got argued against. I even said I'd put forward a team of the originals and someone other than me to help weed someone out. If I was a spy why would I offer to do that? Unless I knew there was already a spy on the mission. Which seems unlikely as I put myself on the mission and there was only one sabotage. I'd be suspicious of me and flim in your shoes but I'm telling you now you are wrong and I bet you see that by game end. Sorry for disjointed post, am phone posting.

Cerb, buddy. Be honest.

Are you two spies?

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »

Cerb, buddy. Be honest.

Are you two spies?

He's clearly a secret double triple spy... with laser sharks.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    edited September 2012
    Kilnaga wrote: »

Cerb, buddy. Be honest.

Are you two spies?

He's clearly a secret double triple spy... with laser sharks.

I KNEW IT!
    From our secret spy-briefing!

Tayrun on
    I'd be a spy if I get a secret base with laser sharks!

I'd be a spy if I get a secret base with laser sharks!

Woah, woah, woah! Hold on there bub. We didn't say anything about a secret base.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    You are a rubbish recruiter... I'm starting to have doubts you are even an evil spy, I mean surely the HQ is in a volcanic lair? (with a laser shark pit)

You are a rubbish recruiter... I'm starting to have doubts you are even an evil spy, I mean surely the HQ is in a volcanic lair? (with a laser shark pit)

Nope, moon base. Laser sharks in space.

- Terence McKenna
    I hate being the sleeper agent. These resistance guys smell funny and have no sense of humour.

Next time I'm staying back in the moon base with you guys.

Okay, I'm sold, I'll be a spy. When does the training on moon base one start?

As the chief instructor in charge of spy training for being spies, that's probably mi-go's call.

• mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular

As the chief instructor in charge of spy training for being spies, that's probably mi-go's call.

Ha. Ha. Ha. You kids are hilarious.

Also,what's going on with the mission?

I think we're either waiting for everyone to vote, or for Cap to post the results. Not sure which.

I totally missed the mission in lime... Better vote.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Still missing a few votes. I'll send out some reminders.

I'm sorry, can someone link the current proposal? I'm having trouble keeping track...but i will be playing from my phone to hopefully keep better pace

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Mission 3 - Team Proposal 1: Tayrun, Blahmcblah, MrBody, mi-go hunter.

I'm going to vote no, i think were going to end up giving up another mission and going down 1 to 2 with not enough info on who could be a spy

doodles613 wrote: »
    I'm going to vote no, i think were going to end up giving up another mission and going down 1 to 2 with not enough info on who could be a spy

Who are you suspecting, why, and who would you prefer, and why?

Valid questions...

1. Blahmcblah - YES
    2. Damonis - YES
    3. Egos - YES
    4. kilnaga - YES
    5. mi-go hunter - YES
    6. doodles613 - NO
    7. Mr Body - YES
    8. Flimflammery - YES
    9. Cerberus - YES
    10. Tayrun - YES

@Tayrun, @Blahmcblah, @MrBody, @mi-go hunter are up to submit their moves.

I am suspect of Blah for sure, becuase he is new on a mission, and isin't there another person on this mission who is new? We really need to chart things and make sure that we can reasonably pick who spys and who are not.

MrBody, Tayrun, Mi-go-passed, reasonably certain none of them are spys at that point

Filmflammery, MrBody, mi-go hunter and Tayrun, 1 failed, I highly suspect Filmflammery becuase he was both new to the mission and caused a lot of confusion on purpose with his shenanigans...BUT it really could have been one of the original three, now trying to throw us off.

Tayrun, Blahmcblah, MrBody, mi-go hunter I vote no because Blah could be a spy, and and I really think Film threw us under the bus on the second mission, we really have to be careful though, becuase if this fails again, its highly likely that one of the original three was a spy and they are just playing us and built false trust and thus sealed our fate. I think we needed to rotate some of those people out to try to get some more info

I think I am getting the recap correct, but I am still confused as to who went on the second mission, sorry