As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vroom!, a game about running over zombies in a truck (PC, iOS)

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited September 2012 in Indie Games
LaCabra wrote:
7935454706_04249d5701_c.jpg

Vroom! is a game for Windows and iOS about running over zombies in a big blue truck. It's a spinoff of the Half-Life 2 mod Shotgun Sunrise, which was a community project on the G&T forum back in 2008-2009, and is made by some of the same dudes. We made it in around four months, originally for iOS, and recently we released a PC version, which has better graphics and more zombies.

You have a time limit, and you add seconds to the clock by going through checkpoints and smashing as many zombies as possible. The goal is to keep the round going as long as you can. You can add boost to your Vroomometer by hitting zombies. Correct procedure is to pretty much be boosting super fast 100% of the time.

Screenshots:

7935446712_6745929c25_c.jpg
7935419872_6859af5113_c.jpg
7935431124_6628025571_c.jpg
7935450698_32f9a5455b_c.jpg
7935441900_ceb3713211_c.jpg

Vidja:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk8943FdOE

Download:

You can get it for Windows from Desura using their fancy client thing or just go download the installer from IndieDB. The iOS version is on the app store.

Have fun!

Tube on

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm the developer and this space is reserved for my updates!

Also, I forgot to mention that this works with your 360 controller. Triggers are accelerate/reverse, and every other button is boost.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    every other button is boost.

All hail boost

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yet to try the PC version, but the iOS version is bloody good fun

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    NitionNition Registered User regular
    I tried it out. Some misc comments:
    - The buttons on the main menu would be better off with hover states
    - I like how it says "brake (I guess)"
    - I think your "items" button in the garage is set to update while the mouse is clicking instead of on click, causing massive flickering on and off very fast, and making it hard to use. It's also not clear if the items actually do anything (do they just add weight?)
    - Controls are good, but maybe a little twitchy on keyboard. The physics are a bit crazy too but that's kinda good for a game like this.
    - Don't let anyone complain about getting hit by the train. The train is awesome
    - Great tracks with all the shortcuts and variety
    - It's a little unclear where the button to unpause is in the pause menu, half-hidden at the bottom as it is

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    So kind of like Carmageddon? Where do I sign!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback @Nition. Most of those things come from it being an (honestly fairly hasty) port of a mobile game. The way touch input works on UDK on iOS is basically that there's a touch and an untouch event, and it seems like holding the mouse button on PC basically goes touchuntouchtouchuntouchtouchuntouchtouchuntouch, so you get those flickering items. I only noticed after the ship. :P
    The items don't actually do anything, we were going to implement some stuff but didn't end up doing it and just left the menu in as an aesthetic customiser thing.
    Pressing escape to unpause should work, but I'm totally not sure come to think of it - does it not?

And yes, the train is awesome, and it thanks you. <3

• Options
    NitionNition Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, it doesn't. Escape pauses but you have to click the button to unpause.

The train reminds me a bit of the one in one of the old Need For Speed: High Stakes tracks, which similarly propelled you with unstoppable force.

Nition on
  • Options
    Whoooops.

Anyway, glad you like it. :)