As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Where's a good, fast place to farm souls at this point for me?

I'm at:
    Second bonfire of Anor Londo.

I can farm the three silver knights right there quite easily for 3k souls in about 15-30 seconds. Any other ideas? This is faster than Darkroot Garden but I'm sure there must be a better time-to-souls ratio area around here.

Someone somewhere mentioned the Painted World or whatever. How about that? Easy to farm?

Silver Knights are probably your best bet honestly. Painted World is solid but it's a decent trek to get access to it from where you are if you don't have the doll already, and the farmed enemy can still be a bit annoying. You can also throw some of the other silver knights into your rotation that are on the non-shortcut route, and you could always toss your summon sign down while farming them and get a decent chance of getting summoned.

I do have the doll, actually.

Considering that, thoughts?

Otherwise, yeah, I guess I could just farm the knights.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    I can't even kill S&O myself, even with co-op help. Not sure I want to embarrass myself further by getting others killed.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Well, you might just want to go there just for a change of pace. It isn't hard, couple decent items to get. A real run of the place will get you a decent chunk of souls. Keep in mind though that before you go in, there's no exit until the boss. You'll likely be fine at your level range though.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Though, you can actually skip the boss and come back later, if you need to.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You don't actually have to kill the boss in the painting world, too, so there's that. Completing it is a bit of a pain, but there isn't necessarily a big boss fight at the end, she just asks you to leave and you can do so. I even did so even if though I was more than capable level-wise because I just didn't have the heart to attack her :P.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Painted World is fucking creepy (meaning its awesome). Reminded me of the castle from Demons Souls a bit, but darker. One of the things I miss most from Demons Souls:
    aborted dagger babies in a river of toxic blood - with the virgin mary sitting in the background. baby nail, so gross

I attacked her
    because she's clearly crazy or putting up a front. She tried to make it sound like it was some idyllic village with friendly inhabitants, when her town is full of some of the nastiest and creepiest enemies in the game.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I beat the PC edition last night, got everything new and I had a pretty good time. What scares me is that there are zero white phantoms around in the old content, specifically in the New Londo Ruins. Even for me, that makes the 4 kings really really tough, and I shudder to think of how I will even kill one of them on NG+.

Thankfully i keep getting invaded, and there seemed to be a whole bunch of white phantoms in the new content.

Barcardi on
    I attacked her
    because she's clearly crazy or putting up a front. She tried to make it sound like it was some idyllic village with friendly inhabitants, when her town is full of some of the nastiest and creepiest enemies in the game.
    Can you blame her?
    She's kinda been trapped in a painting for who knows how long? You probably end up going a bit crazy when the only company you have are crow people and bulbous demonic blood sacks.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Got lucky on my first try against Queelag. Restored my humanity on the bonfire, and summoned a player character (one of the few times the connection doesn't bork) along with Mildred. Mildred played tank while the PC went long range, and I went for the backside.

We were doing great until the boss started doing these roars that took out a chunk of HP. Her last roar managed to kill me, but before I was ready to throw my controller, Mildred landed one final blow that killed the boss just before I faded to black. Went back, got my souls back, rang the 2nd bell.

Also messed around the demons area a bit, found out the easy way to take out Ceaseless Discharge after four failed attempts. Then I had to take the long way back to the Depths. Had to do it twice because one of those jerkass geckos cursed me.

I'm now in Sen's Fortress, which so far feels like a Super Meatboy level.

Why did you go back through the depths? You know there's a shortcut back to the firelink shrine from blighttown, right?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Why did you go back through the depths? You know there's a shortcut back to the firelink shrine from blighttown, right?

No, no I did not.

The only other path I read from a wiki involved traversing two areas I hadn't gone through yet (Valley of Drakes, that ghost/water area). I figured better to slosh it through the areas I was familiar with than tread new ground.

The wheel right?

No, no I did not.

The only other path I read from a wiki involved traversing two areas I hadn't gone through yet (Valley of Drakes, that ghost/water area). I figured better to slosh it through the areas I was familiar with than tread new ground.
    The shortcut back that way DOES go through valley of the drakes and New Londo ruins, but you don't encounter anything hostile in those sections. Once you exit blighttown, it's a straight shot.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited September 2012
    I attacked her
    Can you blame her?
    She's kinda been trapped in a painting for who knows how long? You probably end up going a bit crazy when the only company you have are crow people and bulbous demonic blood sacks.
    Not only that, but the fact of the matter is that there is a very good chance those creepy and nasty thngs were still nicer to her than people. Notice the description on the painted doll? Priscilla got in there as a desperate refuge from a world that considered her an abomination.

And even as the world's light diminished and her world turned into the creepy shithole we see (same as every other single place we see in Dark Souls, at that. The game implies there were actual people living in Blighttown not THAT long ago, for one, and let's not get into the supposedly still alive guards of Anor Londo), she still considers it to be a peaceful refuge.

So my thought is that either she's cracked and gone cuckoo (fairly likely, but I'm not about to attack a tragic figure that is harming nobody just because she's gone mad with grief), or she put up with so much shit that harpies and undead dragons and skeletons are STILL a step up from the stuff outside the painting.

All in all? Yeah, not attacking her.

Drascin on
    Yeah. That's pretty much it. I'm expecting that if I tried to talk to her more, she would go hostile, so I'm not going to try it, but I would like to talk with her more.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Is the favor armor set worth getting? I've played through that storyline already on the xbox, and I'm at the point where I should handle the problem now (ie kicking the bastard off a cliff) rather than dealing with the problems he presents. This character is a sorcerer too, so I'm thinking all signs point to taking him out. When I do another melee character, I'll probably get the armor just cause it looks cool.

krylon666 wrote: »
    Is the favor armor set worth getting? I've played through that storyline already on the xbox, and I'm at the point where I should handle the problem now (ie kicking the bastard off a cliff) rather than dealing with the problems he presents. This character is a sorcerer too, so I'm thinking all signs point to taking him out. When I do another melee character, I'll probably get the armor just cause it looks cool.

I don't find the favor set to be anything special statwise, myself, so I'd say you can just kick the guy off a cliff if you want. I think it gets you sin to kill him before he strikes, though.

On that same kind of business,
    I was told that once Rhea is freed from the Tomb of Giants, Petrus would express a will to kill her. He hasn't in my game, however, he just has the same dialogue as before. I worry a bit that I might go out to explore the Demon Ruins or the Crystal Caves and come back to find her dead from a glitchy trigger with no warning...

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Got lucky on my first try against Queelag. Restored my humanity on the bonfire, and summoned a player character (one of the few times the connection doesn't bork) along with Mildred. Mildred played tank while the PC went long range, and I went for the backside.

We were doing great until the boss started doing these roars that took out a chunk of HP. Her last roar managed to kill me, but before I was ready to throw my controller, Mildred landed one final blow that killed the boss just before I faded to black. Went back, got my souls back, rang the 2nd bell.

Also messed around the demons area a bit, found out the easy way to take out Ceaseless Discharge after four failed attempts. Then I had to take the long way back to the Depths. Had to do it twice because one of those jerkass geckos cursed me.

I'm now in Sen's Fortress, which so far feels like a Super Meatboy level.
    Two helpful things. First of all, there's a bonfire inside. Slightly hidden. When you get outside where the giant dude is hurling those cannon balls at you, there's an area you can roll off a couple ledges up. Look out for an orange message. Second, right around the same spot there's a broken bridge. Jump over the bridge and enter the keep on the other side. In there are a merchant and, more importantly, a cage key. Continue on, and you'll see two cages hanging on chains. These are elevators that'll take you to the beginning of the level, the very first swinging axe bridge.

I read that if you change into two different areas before talking to her, he will kill her. But I never dealt with this myself. The Tomb defeated me many times.. but I'd read up on a wiki to handle it properly. Maybe just kill that bastard.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I attacked her
    Can you blame her?
    Not only that, but the fact of the matter is that there is a very good chance those creepy and nasty thngs were still nicer to her than people. Notice the description on the painted doll? Priscilla got in there as a desperate refuge from a world that considered her an abomination.

And even as the world's light diminished and her world turned into the creepy shithole we see (same as every other single place we see in Dark Souls, at that. The game implies there were actual people living in Blighttown not THAT long ago, for one, and let's not get into the supposedly still alive guards of Anor Londo), she still considers it to be a peaceful refuge.

So my thought is that either she's cracked and gone cuckoo (fairly likely, but I'm not about to attack a tragic figure that is harming nobody just because she's gone mad with grief), or she put up with so much shit that harpies and undead dragons and skeletons are STILL a step up from the stuff outside the painting.

All in all? Yeah, not attacking her.

There's a slightly worse version of the Lifehunt - it does about as much damage at +15 as the Lifehunt does at +5, and has the same scaling, and has normal bleeding. Supposed to be somewhere in the catacombs.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I read that if you change into two different areas before talking to her, he will kill her. But I never dealt with this myself. The Tomb defeated me many times.. but I'd read up on a wiki to handle it properly. Maybe just kill that bastard.
    I'll check if that's true once I'm done with the duke's archives (If I can escape them at the moment, of course. Don't know if bonfire AFTER the jail is sealed off). If it's true, welp. Free stuff at least.

M A G I K A Z A M
    I'll check if that's true once I'm done with the duke's archives (If I can escape them at the moment, of course. Don't know if bonfire AFTER the jail is sealed off). If it's true, welp. Free stuff at least.

Shouldn't be. As far as I know, there are only two bonfires you can't warp from in the game (Not counting Asylum - not sure about those).

Polaritie wrote: »

Shouldn't be. As far as I know, there are only two bonfires you can't warp from in the game (Not counting Asylum - not sure about those).
    Yeah. I could. And I checked, even though I HAVE been to more than two areas since rescuing her, she's still alive. I think it happens if you kill two BOSSES.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Went into S&O not knowing what I'd be facing, but I had jolly co-operation and managed to beat them in one try.

Think It wouldn't have been too hard by myself. Just keep the big guy at a distance while focusing on the small guy. But maybe I'm just saying that because the fight was really easy with help.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Yeah. I could. And I checked, even though I HAVE been to more than two areas since rescuing her, she's still alive. I think it happens if you kill two BOSSES.
    Some conflicting information about her but just try and get to her before killing two bosses and she should be there. Note that for some people after killing the second boss Petrous does kill her even if you see her there. And if you buy all her items she vacates to the Duke's Archive where she has gone hollow. So either he kills her or she goes hollow and you can, your choice.

It's kind of a neat little subplot if you listen to patches and some of the other NPC's talk about Petrous and Reah.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm over 3 hours into the game and I've still not gotten past the Taurus Demon. How bad am I at this game? Atleast I now know the trick to defeating him. Though I'm still terrified. I need that freaking Zweihander. Gonna milk these puny undead for souls. Unless there's a way to teleport to the first bonfire near the cemetery?

edited September 2012
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Went into S&O not knowing what I'd be facing, but I had jolly co-operation and managed to beat them in one try.

Think It wouldn't have been too hard by myself. Just keep the big guy at a distance while focusing on the small guy. But maybe I'm just saying that because the fight was really easy with help.

It's deceptive like that. You can't keep him at a distance - he has a running charge attack that can quickly move him halfway across the room and then send you flying (literally).

Polaritie on

The issue with it is generally that you can't do what you suggested very much. They tend to stick togther, so it often comes down to very small windows of opportuninty to attack and keeping moving.

It's deceptive like that. You can't keep him at a distance - he has a running charge attack that can quickly move him halfway across the room and then send you flying (literally).

Oh yeah, that running charge, forgot about that.

Who's taken them out by themselves? Also what happens if you kill the big guy first?

Who's taken them out by themselves? Also what happens if you kill the big guy first?

Big guy dead first makes Ornstein grow huge, and the fight is generally a bit tougher, and you get his soul rather than Smoughs.

edited September 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I'm over 3 hours into the game and I've still not gotten past the Taurus Demon. How bad am I at this game? Atleast I now know the trick to defeating him. Though I'm still terrified. I need that freaking Zweihander. Gonna milk these puny undead for souls. Unless there's a way to teleport to the first bonfire near the cemetery?

No but you'll open a lot of shortcuts in the game that make getting around a lot easier. There's a warp ability later in the game as well, but you're pretty far from it. You might've unlocked one or two by now that'll make the trek back and forth pretty painless.

Corpekata on

Big guy dead first makes Ornstein grow huge, and the fight is generally a bit tougher, and you get his soul rather than Smoughs.

You also get the Leo Ring, which can boost the damage of spears and rapiers a lot (conditionally).

Personally, I find Ornstein's armor to look better, so I usually off Smough first.

Aw, I like spears.

Personally, I find Ornstein's armor to look better, so I usually off Smough first.
    Ornstein's armor also doesn't have terrible clipping issues, so yeah. It's better.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So does working pvp no longer exist in this game? I spent all day getting backstabbed by people in front of me and some how fighting a dude who only took about 140 something damage from a +5 zwei heavy attack. I feel like something is horribly broken.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    So does working pvp no longer exist in this game? I spent all day getting backstabbed by people in front of me and some how fighting a dude who only took about 140 something damage from a +5 zwei heavy attack. I feel like something is horribly broken.

Lag backstabs? Annoying. But 140 from a +5 zwei? That's fishy. Of course, there are people who are cheating (level 1 max stats, for instance), so he might have had 99 resistance or something.

Lag backstabs? Annoying. But 140 from a +5 zwei? That's fishy. Of course, there are people who are cheating (level 1 max stats, for instance), so he might have had 99 resistance or something.

It has been a constant problem all day. Back stabbed a dude with a +10 fire uchi while wearing a hornets ring and only did 400 damage. That seemed really low since I've been hit for more that an thousand before.

Lag backstabs wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen every single invasion. Literally every single one I got lag stabbed and one shotted.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited September 2012

It has been a constant problem all day. Back stabbed a dude with a +10 fire uchi while wearing a hornets ring and only did 400 damage. That seemed really low since I've been hit for more that an thousand before.

Lag backstabs wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen every single invasion. Literally every single one I got lag stabbed and one shotted.

A maxed fire Uchi... backstab... with a 25% damage bonus? Yeah, how the fuck did that not do more?

Anyways, I'm planning to make a Darkmoon ninja. Possibly even using the shadow set for the hell of it. No shields ever (for challenge). Plan is to kamikaze the parrying dagger for offhand, and then mainhand... something. Maybe Furysword, since invading doesn't risk humanity. Then join Forest Hunter to get Fog Ring and buy Shiva's stuff before grabbing the ninja ring.

Polaritie on

A maxed fire Uchi... backstab... with a 25% damage bonus? Yeah, how the fuck did that not do more?

Anyways, I'm planning to make a Darkmoon ninja. Possibly even using the shadow set for the hell of it. No shields ever (for challenge). Plan is to kamikaze the parrying dagger for offhand, and then mainhand... something. Maybe Furysword, since invading doesn't risk humanity. Then join Forest Hunter to get Fog Ring and buy Shiva's stuff before grabbing the ninja ring.

I'm trying to do the darkmoon thing for the talisman but apparently everyone I'm fighting is unkillable. Repeatedly hit a guy with a +5 lightning great axe for 20 to 70 damage. I'm entirely baffled as to how that is possible.

This discussion has been closed.