As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So does working pvp no longer exist in this game? I spent all day getting backstabbed by people in front of me and some how fighting a dude who only took about 140 something damage from a +5 zwei heavy attack. I feel like something is horribly broken.

Lag backstabs? Annoying. But 140 from a +5 zwei? That's fishy. Of course, there are people who are cheating (level 1 max stats, for instance), so he might have had 99 resistance or something.

It has been a constant problem all day. Back stabbed a dude with a +10 fire uchi while wearing a hornets ring and only did 400 damage. That seemed really low since I've been hit for more that an thousand before.

Lag backstabs wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen every single invasion. Literally every single one I got lag stabbed and one shotted.

A maxed fire Uchi... backstab... with a 25% damage bonus? Yeah, how the fuck did that not do more?

Anyways, I'm planning to make a Darkmoon ninja. Possibly even using the shadow set for the hell of it. No shields ever (for challenge). Plan is to kamikaze the parrying dagger for offhand, and then mainhand... something. Maybe Furysword, since invading doesn't risk humanity. Then join Forest Hunter to get Fog Ring and buy Shiva's stuff before grabbing the ninja ring.

I'm trying to do the darkmoon thing for the talisman but apparently everyone I'm fighting is unkillable. Repeatedly hit a guy with a +5 lightning great axe for 20 to 70 damage. I'm entirely baffled as to how that is possible.

I think I might have invaded and killed you the other night, your axe did whack me for a chunk of health once but the opening you leave after you swing is absolutely massive and I'm pretty sure my lifehunt scythe punished you for that.

Sorry bro :(

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    To be honest as up front as From was about how they don't have any idea how to develop for pc I'm guessing hacking the game to make invincible troll characters is about as easy as editing a text file somewhere.

august on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Is it just me, or are the Demon Ruins waaaaaaaaaay easier than they used to be.

The capras aren't getting aggroed until I'm like 3 feet away! They used to spot you and run at you from like a mile off. And the giant bugs aren't even trying to spit acid at me.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Remember how you could download trainers for singleplayer games, that gave you things like invincibility, infinite money and so on?

That's how easy it is for Dark Souls.

I just had my first PVP experience against a serious twinker, or also a hacker. I'm level 30, and I have a +5 Uchigatana. Slashes did something about 40-70 damage, and backstabs about 170. Dude was carrying a Dragon Tooth I think, and kept throwing poison knives. I got him down to about half health, and then he idled a bunch, to change into this huge Soulblade looking sword, which he used to parry me and killed me.

• MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    When I was in the ruins for the first time it was the same with the Capra Demons, I had to get real close before they cared.

And the Giant Bugs acid is a joke, I can stand still and it won't even hit me.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    So does working pvp no longer exist in this game? I spent all day getting backstabbed by people in front of me and some how fighting a dude who only took about 140 something damage from a +5 zwei heavy attack. I feel like something is horribly broken.

Lag backstabs? Annoying. But 140 from a +5 zwei? That's fishy. Of course, there are people who are cheating (level 1 max stats, for instance), so he might have had 99 resistance or something.

It has been a constant problem all day. Back stabbed a dude with a +10 fire uchi while wearing a hornets ring and only did 400 damage. That seemed really low since I've been hit for more that an thousand before.

Lag backstabs wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen every single invasion. Literally every single one I got lag stabbed and one shotted.

A maxed fire Uchi... backstab... with a 25% damage bonus? Yeah, how the fuck did that not do more?

Anyways, I'm planning to make a Darkmoon ninja. Possibly even using the shadow set for the hell of it. No shields ever (for challenge). Plan is to kamikaze the parrying dagger for offhand, and then mainhand... something. Maybe Furysword, since invading doesn't risk humanity. Then join Forest Hunter to get Fog Ring and buy Shiva's stuff before grabbing the ninja ring.

I'm trying to do the darkmoon thing for the talisman but apparently everyone I'm fighting is unkillable. Repeatedly hit a guy with a +5 lightning great axe for 20 to 70 damage. I'm entirely baffled as to how that is possible.

I think I might have invaded and killed you the other night, your axe did whack me for a chunk of health once but the opening you leave after you swing is absolutely massive and I'm pretty sure my lifehunt scythe punished you for that.

Sorry bro :(

Doubt, I just started doing this stuff tonight.

Is there any reason to use any weapon besides a spear? I keep losing miserably to people with spears who just spam the light attack. I still take damage while blocking and if I stop blocking I take a ton of damage.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Aren't spears easy to parry?

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Aren't spears easy to parry?
    I find them to be one of the hardest weapon types to parry. Regardless, spears can easily be defeated by simply circle strafing due to their lack of a horizontal arc. They're also weak against shields, so they're spamming R1 you can just let them beat on your shield and it won't take long before they run out of stamina and you can punish them.

Spears are terrible weapons for PvP, to be honest.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the aforementioned lack of a horizontal swing also makes them extremely vulnerable to backstabs.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    We're Gonna need a new thread. Also still not killed the Taurus demon. Probably not high enough leveled. Strength is only just at 13 and the number next to the health bar says 2. Humanity?

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You don't need to grind levels at all for a huge chunk of Dark Souls, especially the first area. Beating Taurus is mostly just a matter of not getting hit much. Climb up, drop on his head, run off to the opposite end to draw him away from the ladder, run back past him to the ladder, drop on his head, repeat.

Corpekata on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    There is definitely a problem with cheaters, but not much worse than what I remember on xbl. Just take a look at the book of the indicted and you can see some the top players are low soul level yet have 99 in all stats and a billion health. Then there are a few that think they are being smart about it but still have 4 or 5 extra stat points they shouldn't.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Yeah, the cheaters make me worry about going Blade of the Darkmoon, but we'll see. If all else fails, I'll happily switch to sunbro and just do Jolly Fucking Co-Operation.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I'm away for work with only my phone until tomorrow so if anyone wants to take new thread duties go ahead.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Remember how you could download trainers for singleplayer games, that gave you things like invincibility, infinite money and so on?

That's how easy it is for Dark Souls.

I just had my first PVP experience against a serious twinker, or also a hacker. I'm level 30, and I have a +5 Uchigatana. Slashes did something about 40-70 damage, and backstabs about 170. Dude was carrying a Dragon Tooth I think, and kept throwing poison knives. I got him down to about half health, and then he idled a bunch, to change into this huge Soulblade looking sword, which he used to parry me and killed me.

Lure the fuckers to an edge and kick them off

Corpekata wrote: »
    You don't need to grind levels at all for a huge chunk of Dark Souls, especially the first area. Beating Taurus is mostly just a matter of not getting hit much. Climb up, drop on his head, run off to the opposite end to draw him away from the ladder, run back past him to the ladder, drop on his head, repeat.

see I know this but my hands do not. I can't seen to dodge the fucker.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    In the end, I figured it'd be less irritating to just farm the twelve rat spot in the Depths than go into the Tomb of Giants again. Farmed my thirty humanity, gave them, got the Chaos Storm and the +2 rank. Wondering if you can actually heal Quelaag's sister if you give her enough humanity? I'd probably be willing to do that. What Einyi tells of her, she doesn't look like a terribly evil woman. Got a couple titanites from the slimes nearby while I was at it. Ready to go save Solaire now, so I went into the ruins. There appear to be smaller versions of previous demons here - hey, Capra, not as strong without your dog bodyguards, are you? Getting the Chaos Flame ember is kind of suicidal, turns out. Thankfully you keep items after dying horribly while getting them. Not that I'm probably ever going to bother with Chaos flame weapons - the blacksmith that does it is incredibly annoying to get to, I have Quelaag's Furysword anyway, and I'm extremely renuent to having high numbers of humanity anyway. It's just for the sake of completionism.

Ceaseless Discharge was kind of pathetic. I felt a bit like a bully. On the other hand, he did attack me and honestly it kind of looked like that was a miserable enough existence I probably did him a favour. Still, not exactly a boss fight to remember and feel proud of.

Still wondering about enchanting some of my weapons. When is it worth it to make a weapon into, say, a Lightning weapon?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Equipment/magic choice seems to be far more important than levels outside of making sure you have high enough stats to wield/cast without penalty.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Equipment/magic choice seems to be far more important than levels outside of making sure you have high enough stats to wield/cast without penalty.

For the most part, though when you get things with A/S scaling, having a lot of that stat makes them significantly stronger.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I ended up just tank&spanking him, after fucking up the drop-down technique and wasting all of my resin. If he hits you, focus on regaining endurance, if he misses get hits in while you can, rinse and repeat. Much like the Capra demon, I found trying to be fancy far harder than just fighting him.

• krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Learning how to bait bosses to do their attack moves is a key DS skill. That and knowing how far away you need to be (or how close to them) to not get hit by the attack. Then you move in, get in a few hits, back off and repeat. Definitely do the head drop on Taurus, but you can fight him on the bridge as well. Dodging his swings requires waiting before doing the dodge, since the swing is so big. If you go too early you'll come out of your dodge too early and still eat some of the hit.

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Taking a breather after getting the Kingsvessel. Just running Ando Londo knight school and titaniting up all my extra weapons. Guess I'll get a divine something for playing in the catacombs...

Jintor wrote: »
    Taking a breather after getting the Kingsvessel. Just running Ando Londo knight school and titaniting up all my extra weapons. Guess I'll get a divine something for playing in the catacombs...

Yeah, it is highly, highly, highly recommended you not attempt the Catacombs without a divine weapon. At least until all the necromancers are dead.

Big Isy wrote: »

When fighting the Taurus Demon, it may sound unintuitive, but dodging toward him will actually avoid its attacks on a frequent basis. You just have to dodge after he's done aiming and have begun to swing. The damaging part of his axe is at the end, so if you're right up in his balls, most of his swing types will miss you.

However, when fighting him for the first time, I recommend being a Knight, having a lot of Endurance and a good shield, and just letting him whack you while blocking, and getting a poke in when you can.

The drop attack strategy's probably the easiest, since you don't need to resin your weapon to still do hundreds of damage, but that'll only get you partway. I've never managed to successfully plunging attack him more than once, so you'll still have a ways to go to finish him off.

Kainy wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

When fighting the Taurus Demon, it may sound unintuitive, but dodging toward him will actually avoid its attacks on a frequent basis. You just have to dodge after he's done aiming and have begun to swing. The damaging part of his axe is at the end, so if you're right up in his balls, most of his swing types will miss you.

However, when fighting him for the first time, I recommend being a Knight, having a lot of Endurance and a good shield, and just letting him whack you while blocking, and getting a poke in when you can.

The drop attack strategy's probably the easiest, since you don't need to resin your weapon to still do hundreds of damage, but that'll only get you partway. I've never managed to successfully plunging attack him more than once, so you'll still have a ways to go to finish him off.

It's tricky the second time. The first one's basically a freebie.

And yeah, enemies with giant axes tend to have blind spots right in front. The same applies to the Iron Golem later - you can just roll through its legs to avoid its axe swings and get hits in (But watch out for its grab and stomps, which do hit there).

And try not to roll off the damn map during that fight :)

edited September 2012
    krylon666 wrote: »
    And try not to roll off the damn map during that fight :)

I've done that on Iron Golem a couple times. When I was curbstomping it too. The arena is the real boss!

Polaritie on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i had no trouble with the taurus demon
    i drop attacked him, then got really, really close to him and stabbed him in the taint until he died
    it took a few tries, i fell off once, and got trapped between the stairs and the ladder a couple of times

but goddamn capra
    i've been fighting that shit heel for three days, probably 12 hours now
    the esteemed posters of SE have told me how to do beat him-- go for the stairs, kill the dogs, trick him into running up the stairs, etc
    but shit just doesn't go right for me most of the time
    and it is a goddamned hike from firelink to capra

edited September 2012
    Indeed it is. I died five times in that fight - and only once it was because the Golem actually hit me. The rest was me forgetting the arena and dodging backwards to inevitable results.

EDIT:
    Okay, I think I saved Solaire properly. I found the Sunlight Maggot before entering Lost Izalith, by going to the side on the part with the mist door in the demon ruins and going through the tunnels with the branches.

Then I found Siegmeyer, but he was depressed because I killed most of the monsters down there before I spoke to him. I imagine he wanted some as well. Poor dude. Sorry for all the killstealing.

Then, not knowing where to go, decided to go back and use the mist door. Firesage demon! Easy enough, though the whole "I'm going to sweep you - HAH psych the sweep does nothing the attack is an explosion that comes two seconds later! thing was irritating. I continue forth and find another bonfire. Then another mist door. Full confident that there isn't going to be another boss so close to the previous one, I walk in confidently.

What do you know, Dark Souls decides to tell my expectations to fuck off. There IS another boss that close. Centipede demon out of nowhere! It doesn't help that the fucker's room murders my FPSs for some reason and that the area I have to fight him is minimal. I get killed the first time, then beat him easily enough the second time, cutting and killing his tail for a wonderful, wonderful ring. There's an EXTREMELY suspicious "wall" at the other end which I imagine opens up, but damned if I know how.

Drascin on
    i had no trouble with the taurus demon
    i drop attacked him, then got really, really close to him and stabbed him in the taint until he died
    it took a few tries, i fell off once, and got trapped between the stairs and the ladder a couple of times

but goddamn capra
    i've been fighting that shit heel for three days, probably 12 hours now
    the esteemed posters of SE have told me how to do beat him-- go for the stairs, kill the dogs, trick him into running up the stairs, etc
    but shit just doesn't go right for me most of the time
    and it is a goddamned hike from firelink to capra

Why are you using the Firelink bonfire? The one in the upper burg should be much closer.

With the shortcut open, firelink is easier to deal with (less enemies in your way) imo. Plus, firelink may be kindled more for him.

Douglas - what SL are you? I have some lower level characters that could try to help you out at some point if you want.

Which shortcut? The one from the depths?

The shortcut near the Depths entrance that goes by a merchant straight to Firelink.

Yeah, the one that leads directly to the door to the Depths. I agree that it's probably easier/faster to get there from Firelink using the shortcut (it goes past the female undead merchant). There's like... the crap guys by the stairway up that leads toward Undead Burg, the one rat, the bow guy, two hollow thieves, and two dogs, instead of two axe hollows + 1 sword/shield hollow knight, then like 3 dogs then like 3 hollow thieves then 2 more dogs... I think that's it.

I think there are more enemies coming from firelink, but they're in smaller, easier-to-deal-with-without-taking-damage groups.

i'm level 32
    i've been alternately trying to kill the crippled demon thing between andre and darkroot and the capra demon for about five days now
    taking breaks to run through undead burg and parish to look for humanity or sitting around with white soapstone mark down waiting to be summoned

and not having any luck with anything

i'm one more day away from starting over

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    i'm level 32
    i've been alternately trying to kill the crippled demon thing between andre and darkroot and the capra demon for about five days now
    taking breaks to run through undead burg and parish to look for humanity or sitting around with white soapstone mark down waiting to be summoned

and not having any luck with anything

i'm one more day away from starting over

Um. You're level 32 and having trouble with a titanite demon? What's your build like? What weapon are you using?

yes, i 'm level 32 and having trouble with an enemy. i appreciate your condescension. goodbye, g and t

Ah, found the elevator that goes from Quelaag's domain to the ruins and back. Now the question is what do I do with all these 105K souls. Any armor set worth improving?

So we offer help and we're being condescending. Oh well. (Someone make the new thread!)

Fucking Taurus Demon. Didn't even know there was a ladder around there. Got it in first try. Had no resin, drop attacked the git twice and plunked away at his health.

And then didn't kick the ladder for the shortcut and wasted some time there. Also lost 4000 souls because fuck you dragon.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    yes, i 'm level 32 and having trouble with an enemy. i appreciate your condescension. goodbye, g and t

He's asking why you're having trouble by questioning your build and you're getting salty like this?

What's your Vitality? Endurance? Are you using a shield with good Stability that blocks 100% Physical Damage? Do you have armor with poise? Do you have a weapon that does decent damage? Are you using the stairs against Capra? Did you try avoiding the Titanite Demon's big weapon by strafing to his left?

Stuff like that. Do you have the Master Key? You can skip past Capra Demon, Depts, and most of Blight Town and save it for later if you do.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
This discussion has been closed.