As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    i'm level 32
    i've been alternately trying to kill the crippled demon thing between andre and darkroot and the capra demon for about five days now
    taking breaks to run through undead burg and parish to look for humanity or sitting around with white soapstone mark down waiting to be summoned

and not having any luck with anything

i'm one more day away from starting over

The titanite demon there can be run past fairly easily - I'd avoid trying to kill it early on unless you have magic to pound it with - it's physical defense is pretty high.

Capra demon comes down to the first few seconds - if you can get to the stairs once you can probably win, the hounds will get up first and you can kill them, which makes the fight much easier. (If you're right on top of the arch, the Capra likes to try to hit you from below - dodge the attack and drop-stab it, then run back up. If it follows you up, it'll try to jump attack and fall half the time, letting you drop stab it. If it doesn't, just drop down and hit it while it recovers from following you, then repeat)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Not entirely sure what to chalk this up to, but I got invaded twice yesterday and completely decimated the invaders. Are they supposed to spawn, like, right in front of you? Because that happened to the first guy, and my zweihander completely decimated him in seconds. The second guy spawned in the swamp somewhere in Blighttown while I was working around the edge, and charged straight at me. Second verse same as the first, though, and he was dead in seconds.

If these guys would just stop charging at me without defenses up, these fights would probably go a lot differently.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what to chalk this up to, but I got invaded twice yesterday and completely decimated the invaders. Are they supposed to spawn, like, right in front of you? Because that happened to the first guy, and my zweihander completely decimated him in seconds. The second guy spawned in the swamp somewhere in Blighttown while I was working around the edge, and charged straight at me. Second verse same as the first, though, and he was dead in seconds.

If these guys would just stop charging at me without defenses up, these fights would probably go a lot differently.

If it's in the blighttown swamp, I'd totally abuse the fact that they can't estus and just let the poison kill them.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Ok, so losing 50k souls and 16 humanity in the Duke's archives was not cool. And you guys know why.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Ok, so losing 50k souls and 16 humanity in the Duke's archives was not cool. And you guys know why.
    Yeah. If you weren't expecting that, or told ahead of time about it, it's a really dick move.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Invaders? Also I need humanity bad.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Around that point in the game, post first bell, it's a good idea to focus on grinding up souls to improve your gear. Like someone said earlier, at the very least just +3 the armor you like to wear (assuming it takes titanite shards, don't waste twinkling yet) and get your weapons up to +5 at least (again with titanite). It's easy enough to get through the burg / parish with stock gear - but after that you'll want to upgrade.

I have a SL40 (I think) character that I can bring down to help with the capra late tonight if you want. For the prowling demon just shoot him with a fuck load of arrows if melee isn't working for you.

• Options
    Don't bother guys, I don't think he's going to check this thread again, you know how SE++ views G&T.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »

There's a fight you can't win - losing is how you move on. And curse is in play, so just die fast.
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Around that point in the game, post first bell, it's a good idea to focus on grinding up souls to improve your gear. Like someone said earlier, at the very least just +3 the armor you like to wear (assuming it takes titanite shards, don't waste twinkling yet) and get your weapons up to +5 at least (again with titanite). It's easy enough to get through the burg / parish with stock gear - but after that you'll want to upgrade.

I have a SL40 (I think) character that I can bring down to help with the capra late tonight if you want. For the prowling demon just shoot him with a fuck load of arrows if melee isn't working for you.

I feel like half the armor in the game uses twinkling for upgrades. If you're taking the back way into Blighttown, you really don't need to upgrade your armor (but do upgrade your weapon - +5 is a huge boost over base damage). After the first bell, I also recommend going and killing the Moonlight Butterfly (easy 10k souls if you summon Beatrice for it), and getting the Wolf Ring (because poise is a godsend against dart snipers, and there are a few on the back way in to Blighttown... guarding a fire keeper soul as well, so you do want to take them out), which is also fairly easy if you know where it is.

If you're confident in dodging/backstabbing, Havel's Ring can be gotten from the Basin>Burg link, and the Grass Crest Shield is under guard by a black knight (who you can totally lure up, then drop down behind to snag the shield if you can't kill it). Also, if you don't have the master key, Darkroot Garden>Darkroot Basin>Valley of the Drakes>Blighttown will get the key for the Blighttown>Firelink shortcut, but you need to be up to running past/killing an undead dragon that way (It's not horribly hard, actually - its one of the most cheesable enemies in the game).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    To be fair, titanite demons are usually pretty tough. I still have problems with them and I'm pretty high on the soul level.

So I think I may have hit a proverbial wall in Duke's Archives, time to roll up a new character. I'm thinking Dex/Int/Pyromancy.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    There's a fight you can't win - losing is how you move on. And curse is in play, so just die fast.
    Use a ring of sacrifice if you have something to lose.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Lork wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

I have played through that section at least five times and I have never thought of that. And always I have at least four or five of those stored up by then.

Now I feel like a moron.

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    To be fair, titanite demons are usually pretty tough. I still have problems with them and I'm pretty high on the soul level.

So I think I may have hit a proverbial wall in Duke's Archives, time to roll up a new character. I'm thinking Dex/Int/Pyromancy.

Why int and pyromancy?

• Options
    Lork wrote: »
    Of course, if it's your first time through the game, and you haven't looked anything UP about the game, You wouldn't KNOW that you cant win that fight, so you would have your normal equipment, and thus not have a ring of sacrifice equipped.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ahem, I just lost 130000+ souls and a bunch of humanity to the BS 6 giant skeleton rapebeating you take the moment you drop into the spot with the large divine ember in the Tomb of Giants.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/TheSpaniard/Joke Images etc/cmt-medium.gif

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Yes, but that's just because you didn't win the fight correctly. What we're talking about is an area where you are REQUIRED to be killed. It's a matter of you HAVE to lose to continue.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    So we offer help and we're being condescending. Oh well. (Someone make the new thread!)

If I'd been stuck on Capra for five days, I'd be a little touchy too...

I probably could have been more sympathetic in my phrasing.

• Options
    I had already seen a video of the Capra demon fight many months ago, I really don't know why, but I already knew it was one of the most frustrating things early on. So I already recognized the area and the boss.

Little did I know that going through that small door WAS THE CAPRA DEMON AGHHH! My first reaction was Holy shit it's the Capra! And I got instantly killed. Second time I went in and beat him by dropping on him over and over from the stairs. Yay!

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Wearing a ring of sacrifice is not always about keeping the items you have. They're more useful for after a brutal death and insuring you can get back to your corpse, since if you die that's a 2nd chance at retrieving your stuff.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Shit, you guys are making the ring of sacrifice actually sound useful now! Thanks. Didn't realize it would save you on a "corpse run". I don't mind the souls as much as the humanity anymore, since I've grinded so much in this game I'm used to it. I haven't tried farming humanity items in the Tomb yet though. I hear with the max item find you can get an insane amount pretty quickly in there.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Wasn't having much fun with my speed game, so I started over with a full vanilla character - no drake sword or black knight weapons, trying to see how far I can get without dying. Dark Souls is a lot more fun when danger lurks around every corner :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Ahem, I just lost 130000+ souls and a bunch of humanity to the BS 6 giant skeleton rapebeating you take the moment you drop into the spot with the large divine ember in the Tomb of Giants.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/TheSpaniard/Joke Images etc/cmt-medium.gif

Chump change, the both of you. Try losing 6,000,000 souls and 99 humanity. That's right, all those zeros are legit. Half of which I got back eventually, too.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular

Chump change, the both of you. Try losing 6,000,000 souls and 99 humanity. That's right, all those zeros are legit. Half of which I got back eventually, too.

I've been there.
    The funny part is that it's hard to even care. The souls don't mean anything and the humanity you get back just for doing what you'd be doing anyway.

• Options
    Ok if I killed Pinwheel in 3 hits it means I'm overleveled or something right?

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

no, pinwheel is just an inexplicably frail boss. if you're feeling powerful, the following area, tomb of the giants, will cure that in a hurry. :P

been away from this thread for a while...any word on when/if consoles are receiving the DLC? I respect FS for actually porting the game, but the snippets on how the PC version is generally played with a controller has convinced me to wait and play the DLC on the medium I'm accustomed to.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular

Nah, that just means you killed Pinwheel.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    Use the orange soap stone and put down a need humanity sign, then hope people up vote it. For those that don't know every time your message gets up voted you gain 1 humanity. So if your running along and see a need humanity sign be sure to up vote it, it can be quickly done by pushing the gesture key while the message is up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Was helping a newbie out in the undead parish to get to the gargoyles and hopefully kill them when someone invades. I figured, at least it's 2 on 1.

Cue us being invaded by someone with wrath of the gods, the spear that the chaos demons of anor londo use and who knows what else since we instantly got killed, though not before I backstabbed him for a tiny portion of his hp.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    Redlance wrote: »
    Use the orange soap stone and put down a need humanity sign, then hope people up vote it. For those that don't know every time your message gets up voted you gain 1 humanity. So if your running along and see a need humanity sign be sure to up vote it, it can be quickly done by pushing the gesture key while the message is up.
    Wait. Really? THAT'S what the humanity signs are for?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Daaaaamn. I've been running the firelink-Undead Burg bonfires to farm for humanity. Wish I'd known that earlier.

Also, I couldn't get past the red dragon (or rather, didn't really try lol) so I went the other direction and there's a big ass dog thing in Undead Parish. Yeeeeeeeeeah. I went the other way, back down to firelink shrine and found my way into ruins of Anor Londo, waaaaaaay down. It was terrifying down there. And I didn't even meet a boss or any kind of brutal monster.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    heenato wrote: »
    Redlance wrote: »
    Wait. Really? THAT'S what the humanity signs are for?

I had no idea.

The best part about this Jerry avatar is that it's almost always appropriate in this Dark Souls thread.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    So. I made it to crystal caves. Invisible walkways. This is gonna be a thing.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    So. I made it to crystal caves. Invisible walkways. This is gonna be a thing.

Look for where the drops of... water? Are falling. They're all a straight shot, so when you find one just charge forward to the next visible platform.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    All except one, which isn't necessary to get to the boss luckily. Prism stones are pretty handy for when you're not sure you're doing it right.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Wow, some people get really mad when they invade you and you kill them. I could understand the other way around maybe, but he opted into this with the knowledge that maybe someone might beat him.

Ugh. Just another reason I don't like competitive multiplayer.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Daaaaamn. I've been running the firelink-Undead Burg bonfires to farm for humanity. Wish I'd known that earlier.

Also, I couldn't get past the red dragon (or rather, didn't really try lol) so I went the other direction and there's a big ass dog thing in Undead Parish. Yeeeeeeeeeah. I went the other way, back down to firelink shrine and found my way into ruins of Anor Londo, waaaaaaay down. It was terrifying down there. And I didn't even meet a boss or any kind of brutal monster.

The dragon is just a short enviromental challenge. Midway toward him there's a patch to the right (also a shortcut back to the burg's bonfire) that'll take you were you need to go.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

The dragon is just a short enviromental challenge. Midway toward him there's a patch to the right (also a shortcut back to the burg's bonfire) that'll take you were you need to go.

If you want to take the path you need to be under at or under 50% load capacity or you will move to slowly and be baked. But once under there with an even slightly powered up bow you can do enough damage to his tail to get a really sweet early game sword called the Drake Sword. You can even kill him for 10k souls on your first play through which jumps to 50k on the next. Although this is quite difficult on either and will likely just end with you being bbqed.

The New Londo ruins require you to either be cursed or use a transient curse item to even attack, or block, their attacks. And they can move and attack through walls. I just got through to the bottom portion on my NG+ and fuck those ghosts. Not that bad the first time around but holy hell a group of them can really ruin a good time.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Speaking of Invasions, are there confirmed cheaters out there? I read some comments about super-high level characters stomping weaker opponents, but wasn't sure if it was a thing.

Also, summoning other players works maybe...1/4 of the time. I'm not sure if trying to summon another player before the first one is confirmed arriving or not messes up the connection.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Speaking of Invasions, are there confirmed cheaters out there? I read some comments about super-high level characters stomping weaker opponents, but wasn't sure if it was a thing.

Also, summoning other players works maybe...1/4 of the time. I'm not sure if trying to summon another player before the first one is confirmed arriving or not messes up the connection.

If you buy the book of the guilty, the #1 guy is level 1 with 99 in every stat and 6000 sins.

So... yeah. There are cheaters. Doesn't seem particularly prevalent though, I haven't run into any.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Ugh. Just about everything about the dukes archives annoys me. The boars at the beginning (Thank god they don't respawn) the inquisitors. The map itself. The LONG ASS run to the boss. Invisible walkways. The HAVING to be killed to progress. And then of course there's the actual boss, and you have to destroy the damn crystal, which the first time spawns BEHIND YOU, so you won't know about it.

M A G I K A Z A M
This discussion has been closed.