As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

196979899100102»

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Spoilerssss :(

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Wow, some people get really mad when they invade you and you kill them. I could understand the other way around maybe, but he opted into this with the knowledge that maybe someone might beat him.

Ugh. Just another reason I don't like competitive multiplayer.

Feed on their hatred. Relish in it.

The better players will compliment each other or give a PM of a good fight no matter if they're the winner or the loser. You improve in this game if you accept mistakes and learn from mistakes. PvP is one of the best places to learn on getting better.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Sorry...Lost my head a little because I was annoyed.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Doesn't this need a new thread soon?

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    So, right now I have a +10 Uchigatana, +1 Furysword, +2 Lightning Spear. Where should I go from here? I'm not sure what I want to do for Uchigatana's element, and Furysword/Lightning Spear could always use some leveling if it's worth the material grind. I'm focusing on strength, so Uchigatana might not be the best bet.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Wow, some people get really mad when they invade you and you kill them. I could understand the other way around maybe, but he opted into this with the knowledge that maybe someone might beat him.

Ugh. Just another reason I don't like competitive multiplayer.

Feed on their hatred. Relish in it.

The better players will compliment each other or give a PM of a good fight no matter if they're the winner or the loser. You improve in this game if you accept mistakes and learn from mistakes. PvP is one of the best places to learn on getting better.

This. I went through this game with a repeat offender invading me in blightown and using a faith build to blow me off the edges. And to keep me in the poison when i made it to the bottom. It was rough. But I learned to keep a bunch of moss on me and how to dodge aoe attacks. Quelaag was nothing afterwards. Educational

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It was kinda funny him calling me a soulless ginger hacker noob preying on low level players.

I've gone back to not understanding how the matching works for invasions at all again, since i'm level 82 and in NG+ i've been getting invaded by people around level 10.

We really should get a new thread up before someone notices how far over we're going. I can do it if no one else wants to, and if @mere_immortal doesn't mind me just doing a blatant copy-paste of his OP.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i guess i was frustrated
    my guy is a pyryomancer, level 32
    vit 20
    att 12
    end 20
    str 16
    dex 15
    res 14
    int 10
    faith 8

i have a +2 winged spear
    and the hollow shield
    and the elite knight set

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Ugh. Just about everything about the dukes archives annoys me. The boars at the beginning (Thank god they don't respawn) the inquisitors. The map itself. The LONG ASS run to the boss. Invisible walkways. The HAVING to be killed to progress. And then of course there's the actual boss, and you have to destroy the damn crystal, which the first time spawns BEHIND YOU, so you won't know about it.

There's a bonfire that makes a (somewhat) shorter run to the boss. On the opposite end of the building from the entrance.

And yeah, it's really rough. I like how each of the Lords' areas has a different kind of difficulty. That place just has tons of ranged enemies that hit hard. The Tomb of Giants has darkness and individually strong enemies. Lost Izalith has lava everywhere. New Londo has g-g-g-g-ghosts.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    In starting a new character, the game is a lot easier when you know the tricks. Also pyromancy makes the early game go by fast.

steam_sig.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Man, I have leveled up some other real nice weapons, but the one I keep coming back to is my Magic Pike. The AI at least is just totally unprepared for the reach I have with this thing. All those spell-casting NPCs or enemies who like to wind up for a heavy blow once you're far enough away, just seem to crumble away to nothing when you ruin their shit from nine miles away with a flurry of attacks.

And I have been almost exclusively leveling Intelligence for a while now, so it hits like a goddamn Tomahawk missile every time.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    i guess i was frustrated
    vit 20
    att 12
    end 20
    str 16
    dex 15
    res 14
    int 10
    faith 8

i have a +2 winged spear
    and the hollow shield
    and the elite knight set

You're having trouble with Capra, right? Firstly I'd place an orange sign in someplace visible like in front of a boss, saying "Need Humanity". Meanwhile, I'd farm the balder knights til you have enough titanite to upgrade your shield (or better yet, their shield if it drops) to +5.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    New Londo Ruins
    how the fuck do I deal with the Ghost Rape Room after you climb up the kickable ladder and cross the bridge and go down the stairs? I can't lure them out of there, they just go back into the walls and wait until they can get me into a confined space and attack me from every direction.

edit: nevermind, beat it.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Ok if I killed Pinwheel in 3 hits it means I'm overleveled or something right?

no, pinwheel is just an inexplicably frail boss. if you're feeling powerful, the following area, tomb of the giants, will cure that in a hurry. :P

You know, Piwheel actually came closer to killing me than several other bosses, including Sif. It was both of us wailing on each other and seeing who died first - and I'd have died with one more fireball.

Steam ID: Right here.
    I killed Pinwheel with 2 crystal soul spears

It was hilarious, didn't even have time to teleport

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    I am now tired of not having a plan for this game so I shall be going for dex (because I like speed and bows). Do I just get an uchigatana and upgrade it +15 and then I'm golden or what?

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    I am now tired of not having a plan for this game so I shall be going for dex (because I like speed and bows). Do I just get an uchigatana and upgrade it +15 and then I'm golden or what?

I found a pretty amazing Katana-type weapon that I'm LOVING, fairly early on.
    Blighttown
    Right after the first toxic dart fucker, there's a path to the left that ends in a huge drop. If you look down, you can see a platform with a dead guy with an item. That's the Iaito. Do a running jump and land on that platform.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited September 2012
    Haha, yup I just got it and that's why I realized I have no idea for what to do weapon-wise.

Movitz on

Pretty much!

I'm doing a dex character and that's my plan. It seems like they've made bows better since the last time I tried this, the scaling is crazy now. On uchigatana vs iaito, it comes down to which heavy attack you like more.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    Hmm, now I'm kind of wanting a fury sword. Is it worth it?

It's not superstellar, but it's not bad. And it becomes pretty tasty if you are willing to risk some humanity (its attack power gets a bonus with the humanity in your top lef counter).

Consider a Silver Knight sword as well. I'm playing a Dex build myself and it's definitely doing me a great service. The Iaito's damage left me completely cold, but the silver sword works pretty well and since it only requires Twinkling to max out and there's a dude selling Twinkling in the same area you get the sword, it's really easy to put it to max really quick without needing slabs and stuff.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Quelaag's Furysword is very, very good with a dex build because it does flame damage but has the dex scaling unlike normal flame enchanted weapons.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    There's also the Washing Pole if you like the Uchigatana but said to yourself 'this needs to be 2-3x bigger'.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Gaah. Too, many, options...

I'm going to mess this up due to indecisiveness =)

Gaah. Too, many, options...

I'm going to mess this up due to indecisiveness =)

Ehh, indecisiveness on weapons isn't too bad. Stats is where you can really mess up.

My advice would be to find a weapon you feel comfortable with, move-wise. That's the most important thing, really.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Ugh. I might just start a new game until they fix the summoning system. Cause right now, it's completely fucked.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Quelaag's Furysword has a crazy 505 attack value at 40 dex and 10 humanity (197/308), it's pretty great.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    edited September 2012
    So I met the Bed of Chaos or something. Lasted nothing - and man the trek from the bonfire is pretty long. There has to be a nearer bonfire somewhere...

EDIT: even longer now. I was a bit annoyed so my brain derped. Instead of kindling the flame I just warped to Firelink shrine and only realized I was derping out by the time I'd already clicked yes. I'm an idiot -_-.

Drascin on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I worked out the proper way to go and did the tail thing, got souls but ran out of arrows so he lived. Proceeded forth and saw the
    giant armored dog type thing and thought fuck that.
    Mad a beeline to the right and up the stairs. I just kept running until I saw a bonfire. When I died I managed to have two knights and the giant knight near the throne after me lol.

Thats when I ventured into New Londo, figured that might be the way to go. I do have the transient curse gems but I'll leave that area till Atleast after the first bell has been rung. Guess ill stock up on arrows!

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    It's a giant armored boar actually, but it does not respawn. You can either lure it into charging into the fire, or if you want to see something disturbing you can do a backstab attack on it's ass. That is the only place where it is not armored. It looks like the worlds most painful enema.

Upgraded my Uchigatana after using the Painted Guardian's Sword for most of the game just because I like the way it looks. Now that I know all the tricks to the enemies and bosses the weapon and armour I use is not quite so important.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, the Bed of Chaos is bullshit. It's a long annoying walk from the bonfire, and when you arrive there the thing decides that pushing you into the pits that appear soon as you hurt it sounds hilarious. Grumble.

Drascin on
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, the Bed of Chaos is bullshit. It's a long annoying walk from the bonfire, and when you arrive there the thing decides that pushing you into the pits that appear soon as you hurt it sounds hilarious. Grumble.

It sure is bullshit, there's a reason it's the only boss that saves your progress when you die, even the devs knew.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Yeah I worked out the proper way to go and did the tail thing, got souls but ran out of arrows so he lived. Proceeded forth and saw the
    giant armored dog type thing and thought fuck that.
    Mad a beeline to the right and up the stairs. I just kept running until I saw a bonfire. When I died I managed to have two knights and the giant knight near the throne after me lol.

Thats when I ventured into New Londo, figured that might be the way to go. I do have the transient curse gems but I'll leave that area till Atleast after the first bell has been rung. Guess ill stock up on arrows!

Oh god, the way you play the game sounds hilarious! Keep us updated!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Tired of waiting, I'm a newb to this game but I went ahead and made a new post so we don't all get infracted.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166623/dark-souls-pc-version-out-high-res-fix-in-the-op

Yes, it's Mere_immortal's OP.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    i guess i was frustrated
    vit 20
    att 12
    end 20
    str 16
    dex 15
    res 14
    int 10
    faith 8

i have a +2 winged spear
    and the hollow shield
    and the elite knight set

What time you playing? I might, *might* be able to help you. But the general strategy for Capra is to upgrade your shield to give it higher stability, and strafe to the stairs. Don't RUN, STRAFE. That means locking on and strafing while blocking. If you have a phantom or two, they should be able to pull aggro long enough to help you get to the stairs. When you get up the stairs, the dogs usually come first. Kill them while going up and to your left (assuming your back is against the wall), and lure Capra up there. From there it's easy mode.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    How viable is a pure tanky (i.e. Knight) build, vs a dodge-shit-and-pray build (i.e. everything else)?

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I didn't reroll a new guy, instead I ventured forth into Undead Parish. Weirdly this time the gate behind the armored boar was shut. It wasn't the first time and I was able to get the basement key out of there before dying. Glitch mayhap?

Also, I managed to kill the boar AND one of the caped knights AND the Giant knight in the tower. Then some little shit invaded and I tried getting back to the Undead Burg bonfire but nooooooo, stupid game wouldn't let me. Apparently I need to kill the guy. Sure, me versus a Giant, horned, black and red, smoking knight looking guy with a sword that sets things on fire? What could possibly go wrong with that?

Turns out everything went according to plan! hahahaha! What a punk.
    Yeah he killed me.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    How viable is a pure tanky (i.e. Knight) build, vs a dodge-shit-and-pray build (i.e. everything else)?

Used to be crazy viable with the Eagle Shield, maybe it's slightly less now that they've reduced that a little, but I think it's still pretty viable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't reroll a new guy, instead I ventured forth into Undead Parish. Weirdly this time the gate behind the armored boar was shut. It wasn't the first time and I was able to get the basement key out of there before dying. Glitch mayhap?

Also, I managed to kill the boar AND one of the caped knights AND the Giant knight in the tower. Then some little shit invaded and I tried getting back to the Undead Burg bonfire but nooooooo, stupid game wouldn't let me. Apparently I need to kill the guy. Sure, me versus a Giant, horned, black and red, smoking knight looking guy with a sword that sets things on fire? What could possibly go wrong with that?

Turns out everything went according to plan! hahahaha! What a punk.
    Yeah he killed me.

The first time you enter the area with the armored boar, one of the grunts goes through the gate and throws the switch. If you're fast enough, you can get through before it crashes down. It killed the boar once for me too (the gate crushed it).
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

Used to be crazy viable with the Eagle Shield, maybe it's slightly less now that they've reduced that a little, but I think it's still pretty viable.

There are other low-strength high-stability shields out there - balder comes to mind, plus the silver/black knight shields.

That said, there is a new thread for this. Please use it, since this one's gotten too long

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    That said, there is a new thread for this. Please use it, since this one's gotten too long

Linking it would have been nice.

This discussion has been closed.