As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure unit fillers are viable now for table top.

I was thinking about converting four or five models and put them a horde formation with a terrain(or other) filler. If you guys saw a diorama with so little units in person, what would you think? I don't want to paint thirty orc models and would have much more motivation trying to make scenery glittered with units to count as formations.

thanks for any input

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I've always been cool with unit fillers mainly because the amount of models you need for a Fantasy army borders on the insane.

Just remember the general rule of needing to have enough models in the back ranks that if the filler block is removed, you have enough models to put back in its place.

But this is really a question for the guys you usually play, since they're the ones who might not want to play you using fillers.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It seems I'm up for a game of fantasy. My brother wants a 1000pt game. My list is pretty basic:

Vampire - level 2 lore of vamps, enchanted shield, heavy armour
    Necromancer - level 1 lore of vamps

30 skeletons, full command
    10 ghouls, ghast

20 grave guard, full command, banner of the barrows, great weapons

Varghulf

My main concern is I only have 20 zombies to raise, so I won't be able to raise much of a meat shield.

Basic strategy of bunker the necromancer with the skeletons, vampire with the grave guard, shove them down his throat kept alive with invocation, varghulf and ghouls go for small units or flanks

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Warhammer Quest returns? Oh shiiiiiiiiiit.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    I have the actual board game, cant get anyone to play it EVER.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    iphone yayyyyyy

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Prime wrote: »

You're UK right? There's a statistically tiny chance you are within a reasonable distance of me. I will travel.

Donating my WHQ set to a short lived gaming group at my Mum's school was one of the stupidest things I've done. All I've got left now are the minis.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Quote is not edit. They're not even near each other now! Moron.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Prime wrote: »

You're UK right? There's a statistically tiny chance you are within a reasonable distance of me. I will travel.

Donating my WHQ set to a short lived gaming group at my Mum's school was one of the stupidest things I've done. All I've got left now are the minis.

PM'd

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I have the board game as well and most of it still intact (albeit poorly painted). Unfortunately, I trashed a number of minis (the heroes & minotaurs most notably) and almost all the books in the most regrettable warhams purge ever.

Trying to get all the missing pieces from ebay has been stressful.

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    I love Warhammer Quest. Still have two boxes, even.

Guess I'll be sticking to the tabletop game until GW decides to support more platforms.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    There is a Warhammer Quest thing for Vassal that I found. It seems pretty rad. Also HeroQuest if you're into that and if you aren't then you're a terrible person.

This also makes me wonder if WHQ might be the next boxed game release?

• Options
    It's probably a heaping pile of Nostalgia distorting my memory of how good it was. I was 13 at the time, had never really come across D&D, and for me and my warhammering mates it was the best thing ever.

I imagine stuff like Descent must have improved on the formula and make it look a bit dated by now.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The beauty of HeroQuest and WHQ was in their simplicity. They make excellent gateway drugs for those less inclined to such nerdy endeavors.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have WHQ but lost the books over time and are they ever so hard to replace
    I bought a copy of heroquest because I lost the furniture the funny thing is it's in far better con than mine

I also bought Battlemasters off the same person they had everything but the Tower. Somehow over time it was all I had left of mine

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I still have a complete WHQ box and a couple of the small hero supplements mostly unpainted, though I did dismount a bunch of the giant rats and put them on 20mm bases for use on the tabletop.
    I could totally get behind a portable vidjagame version though. EDIT: Unless it was a shitty FP hack'n'slash whose only connection to the name was the use of the IP.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Well it's being developed by the team that made the Hunters games on iOS that people were basically calling Space Hulk without the license.

So yeah I'm super excited.

• Options
    I would go nuts over a Warhammer Quest boardgame re-release. Imagine how awesome they could make the character models. And the monsters. And door frames.

/froth

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I never got to play warhammer quest, so I guess my life isn't complete. Don't have an i whatsit either.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Just go back to your cave and stop bothering the Homo sapiens will you? There's a good Neanderthal.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Simple enough you could play it as a drinking game and still finish a dungeon. Deep enough that it was fun as hell to play over and over again. I'd say it's up there with BFG, Necromunda, and Mordheim as one of their more awesome games.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    We played soooo much Warhammer Quest in college. I still have all the cards/boards/minis that came with the game, as well as a few of the expansion characters. Heck, I occasionally use the orcs that came with it (and 4th (I think) ed. warhammer) when I don't have enough newer ones to fill out my ranks.

I am always hopeful GW will return to it and release. No other co-op dungeon delve has really replaced it. The D&D board games were fun, but lack a built in ability to do the campaign and acquire many many dog followers and tatoos (and learn the deep secrets of smearing lard on yourself to make yourself harder to hit). The more I think about it, some of the stuff that happened in town and on the way to town is as memorable / fun as the actual dungeons themselves.

• Options
    Absolutely. Classic GW. Random as shit, often brutal, usually funny, and made your occasional victories that much more exciting.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    The best thing was the chance, however utterly microscopic it was, that your first level one encounter using the random tables in the book could, via a series of cascading "roll on the next level's table" results, turn out to be D3 bloodthirsters. And I do mean the greater daemon.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    GW are dumb for not revisiting warhammer quest. It has the potential to be a one off pack in game which is also the perfect gateway game into WHFB.

Do the usual - campaign, tiles, hero models, monster models.

Now also include a second book - make it all about using the tiles to make your own campaign, and include rules for everything in the WHFB range. Say quarter page entries for infantry, half page for minor bosses and monstrous infantry models, full pages for monstrous creatures, and rules for making heroes based on any of the armies. Old blood adventurer? Why not. Skaven thief? Sure. Vampire warrior? Go for it.

This way, people get sucked into the whole model line. Maybe they want to do a lustria campaign. They might buy a box of saurus, a box of skinks, a kroxigor, a salamander and a carnosaur. Then they might see the demo game on the table, and walk out with the army book as well...

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Yes, but then people might just buy the boxed game instead of a whole army! Because people only buy into whole armies because there's no other option. Really.

That is a great idea. I've always felt that WFB works best when it has a strong RPG streak.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh man. Googling around Warhammer Quest I came across a number of 3D WHQ dungeon tile creation projects. I'm now impatient for the next 25-30 years of employment to get out of the way as I think I have my retirement hobby plan sorted!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    You know those new plastic characters GW have been pumping out? Are they or are they not detailed enough to make decent WHQ heroes/villains?
    Because the sprues they use are also almost exactly the size of the old WHQ character packs. I am suddenly reconsidering whether this is a coincidence or not…

• Options
    They are super detailed. The only thing about them is they're single pose.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    You know those new plastic characters GW have been pumping out? Are they or are they not detailed enough to make decent WHQ heroes/villains?
    Because the sprues they use are also almost exactly the size of the old WHQ character packs. I am suddenly reconsidering whether this is a coincidence or not…

I was thinking the exact same thing reading the most recent WD last night. Those bundled with a unit box and sold as an expansion? Perfect seed for new players. And most are a step more exotic than your basic orcs/gobbos/skaven that would come with the boxed set. Lizardmen, Beastmen, undead, Savage Orcs.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Ok, now for the kickoff of Sharp's Summer 2012 model blowout!

I just added a bunch of 40k stuff to the 'for sale' section of my site.

Anvil of Doom
    metal Dwarf Slayers (NIB)
    OOP Savage Orcs
    Small Wood Elf army

A few pictures:
    1125__500xfloat=_orcs-oop-metal-savage-orcs.jpg
    1133__500xfloat=_wood-elves.jpg
    1121__500xfloat=_dwarves-anvil-of-doom.jpg

I have a bunch of 40k as well.

Still to come - 1400 grams of OOP metal skaven... I just need to sort it!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    I may or may not be interested in snorting old metal skaven.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I would go nuts over a Warhammer Quest boardgame re-release. Imagine how awesome they could make the character models. And the monsters. And door frames.

/froth

the $100 level on that Reaper kickstarter has enough minis on it's own to pull off Warhammer Quest or the like.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Skaven stuff was added

OOP Slaves
    OOP Plague Monks
    OOP Plague Censer Bearers

1136__500xfloat=_skaven-slaves.jpg
    1134__500xfloat=_skaven-plague-censer-bearer.jpg
    1135__500xfloat=_skaven-plague-monk.jpg

• Options
    Avatars of Wars next Warriors of Apochaos regiment - Corruptors. Nurgle WoC ahoy.

305077_10151174782725990_307654089_n.jpg

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    There is way too much Nurgle/Khorne shit around.
    We need more Tzeentch/Slaanesh gubbins, GW or third party ahhhh

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Slaanesh? Take a blob of green stuff then cover it with dicks and boobs. Like make the dicks have boobs that have dicknips.

Tzeentch? Take a blob of green stuff. Then maybe paint it blurpink.

• Options
    The GW blog has a preview of the Magma Dragon from Monstrous Arcana.

cd55b174a3dbb05d03b59f6886f4e5e8_63000.jpg

58d721b7e7940963791d87f2b1485b5d_63000.jpg

• Options
    Looks like too much money.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    There is no way that doesn't cost $200

Ed: Minimum

Salvation122 on