As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario series] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Yeah I only said Wario and Waluigi because I couldn't immediately think of anyone else. Shameful.

Was Mr L NOT in it? I could have sworn I... saw him... how mysterious.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    GameInformer WiiU game info trickling out from the latest magazine, including some NSMBU info:
    - dozens of levels across one world map, like Super Mario World
    - map can be panned around and explored at any time
    - game features an auto-scrolling, Boost Rush mode for more of a challenge
    - multiple branching paths that let you pick which way to go
    - this is much more than the tradition level choosing, which usually gives you only two paths to choose from
    - mid-world fortresses guarded by Boom-Boom
    - end-level castles guarded by Koopalings

Game Informer spotted 7 worlds: Acorn Plains, Sparkling Waters (tropical), Frosted Glacier, Layer Cake Desert (complete with melting desserts), areas similar to Forest of Illusion and Sky World and a world surround by a tornado

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Oh yes please.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    New Super Mario World? Yes please!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Also per Gaf taken from Nintendo's official artwork:

toadAndYoshiThatAintRight.jpg

D:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Another set of five shining stars. Now for one mirrion.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They should've saved the Reznor for New Super Mario Bros U than it would've really felt like Super Mario World.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    They should've saved the Reznor for New Super Mario Bros U than it would've really felt like Super Mario World.

They should have freaking used more than one enemy for EVERY fortress :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    This is very exciting. Please can we get some new multiplayer characters in U though? Seeing that Blue Toad holding the baby yoshi does not excite me. Blue and Yellow Toads should not be official promotional characters.

Sounding like Super Mario World 2 is the best thing though.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    My girlfriend is playing through Super Mario 3D Land, getting each coin in a level before moving on. She's currently stuck on W3-5 though.
    I didn't know this but it turns out with every continue, Toad will give you an item and give you tips on how to play better.
    She poses the question: "If you're so knowledgeable and skillful then why don't you save the princess toad?!"

So yeah. Why doesn't Toad save the princess? Give Mario a break and let Toad have his own game.

Ironically his only chance was the one time you didn't need to save the Princess :P

Unless you count NSMB Wii, but then that wasn't Toad.. that was "Generic Blue Toad" and "Generic Yellow Toad". Toad Toad has red spots :P It still annoys me to no end that they didn't even bother to make up fake names for them. I still call the yellow one Colonel MusToad.

In development, they had the names "Bucken Berry" and "Ala-Gold," respectively.
    Oh yeah, in a game series with a tonne of characters, it still aggravates that they had TWO TOADS as characters. Why is it that a lot of four player games will have the first two characters being recognisable or unique characters, but then the other two are essentially the same as each other.
    Halo 3, Rayman Origins (although the characters in this featured a load of skins), nsmbwii. It's disappointing.
    Would it have really sucked to have Wario or Waluigi as characters? Even just Red Toad as one character and someone else as the fourth.

I think the reason for no Wario or Peach basically came down to the different expectations people have for how they play, such as Wario charging and farting, or Peach floating (I say have unlockable Peach in pink hat, pink shirt, and overalls to eliminate that).

Then again, Nintendo has also made it clear recently that they think all we want is for Bowser to kidnap the Princess, so they're in their own little world anyway.

One Toad would have been fine, though, as you say. I'm actually cool with the Miis as well. Another option would be if they brought back the other colored Marios from Mario Bros. Classic in the Advance games.

Also, Toad starred in one other game: Wario's Woods, but that was a puzzle game.

Problem is, it's tough to think of another character who has the same abilities as Mario and Luigi, without an expected moveset of their own. Might have been a good opportunity to introduce one, though.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

They should have freaking used more than one enemy for EVERY fortress :P
    Yeah super Mario world was crappy about that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    At least NSMB2 did mix it up a little with different set-ups. I think I liked NSMBWii's more, though, with an oldschool Koopaling battle the first time out, then a crazy magic one the second time out.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The problem with using toads in multiplayer is... well who else can you really use? It is Nintendo, and I know even they don't really care about logic and everything, but there's really nobody else to use without seriously pushing it. You can't use Peach, because she's obviously in the next castle. Yoshi is being used as an item, so he's out. There's always Wario and Waluigi I guess, but I'm guessing even Nintendo thinks it's too random to have them helping for no reason. There's just nobody else in the roster to use. Probably the best you could do is instead of two random toads is to use the real and proper Toad and... well Toadsworth, if you can get past the hilarity of him running and jumping at full tilt along with everybody else.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Daisy is plucky enough to help out the Bros. in order to rescue her best friend!

I actually just like Daisy, but whatever. Nintendo has their Nintendo logic and that is that. It would be nice to at least change the Toad Bros. colors a bit. Let me be purple toad, pink toad, orange toad!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    One Toad would be completely fine. Toadsworth would be ridiculous, plus where has he been recently? Has he been used at all since sunshine? I think it's a shame we haven't seen him in any spin-off games at least.
    The fourth member could always be Toadette? If they're insisting on using Toads, we could always have had Toad and Toadette, but then there's the problem of "Well i don't want to be the girl toad" if you've got four guys playing together.
    There isn't really many others to choose from though, thinking about it.

Lineup.jpg

• Options
    Toadsworth is in a ton of games. Pretty much every sports title all the Mario bros. Rpgs except superstar and Im pretty sure super princess peach

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I would be very happy if Mario& Luigi would team up with Donkey Kong and Diddy. I know it might be a logistical nightmare in terms of movesets, their games are designed differently, and you'd have to fudge the character scale somewhat, but that'd be a cool crossover.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Toadsworth is in a ton of games. Pretty much every sports title all the Mario bros. Rpgs except superstar and Im pretty sure super princess peach

Oops, I meant in a playable capacity. It surprises me they haven't made him playable in any games, yet Petey Piranha has been. Give me some toadsworth lovin'.

• Options
    Petey Piranha is the worst thing to ever happen to Mario and one day I will fond and destroy his creator.
    His uh real life one not Bowser Jr.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTaXwjoI2as

I don't know what you're talking about.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I don't know why the developers are so fascinated by Petey, honestly.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I also hate him. Worst character in anything Mario.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Petey was fine in Sunshine. It was when they brought him in for Mario Kart and other spinoffs, that it got bad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    This is very exciting. Please can we get some new multiplayer characters in U though? Seeing that Blue Toad holding the baby yoshi does not excite me. Blue and Yellow Toads should not be official promotional characters.

Sounding like Super Mario World 2 is the best thing though.

Super Mario World 2 was and still is the best 2D platformer ever.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTaXwjoI2as

I don't know what you're talking about.

Ugh, I really hope Gamecube games show up on the Wii's eShop.

Unfortunately Super Mario Sunshine's controls rely so much on the analog triggers of the Gamecube controller that it may not be possible.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    I would be very happy if Mario& Luigi would team up with Donkey Kong and Diddy. I know it might be a logistical nightmare in terms of movesets, their games are designed differently, and you'd have to fudge the character scale somewhat, but that'd be a cool crossover.
    Call me crazy, but I'd love to see a EAD-developed game in the style of the Trine series starring Mario, Luigi, and DK. Across a 2-D plane, you control all 3 at once, switching between their strengths for Puzzles, Platforms, and Enemies ala the knight, thief, and wizard.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It's called Super Paper Mario and is awesome.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Wasn't Toadsworth in Galaxy? I thought he was at least at some point (maybe a cutscene or something)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Wasn't Toadsworth in Galaxy? I thought he was at least at some point (maybe a cutscene or something)

Nope.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Toadsworth#List_of_Appearances_by_Date

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Huh, maybe I was thinking of the Mario RPG games...

• Options
    I think at least giving the Blue and Yellow Toads actual names might have helped. Maybe even keep their personalities from SMG...

• Options
    Oh yeah I completely forgot about the Blue and Yellow toads in SMG.
    God damn I loved SMG. And SMG2.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm on my second play through of Mario 3D land now, clearing all the levels with Luigi. This is easily my favorite of the 3D Mario games, though Galaxy 2 is pretty freakin close.

I don't have any problems with how Mario & Luigi handle. They definitely don't jump as far as they did in previous games, but the levels never demand that you jump further than either of them are able, so I really feel that is a non issue. I wouldn't be surprised if their jumping distance was cut down due to the small screen format of the game, and the fact it's hard enough to judge precision jumps in 3D space the way it is. It is a little disappointing that both of the backflip jumps serve no purpose as they don't go any higher than a regular jump, but whatever.

I was surprised to find that Luigi doesn't have the slippery shoes like he does in the Galaxy games, but he does jump higher than Mario, which has come in handy a couple times.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I was surprised to find that Luigi doesn't have the slippery shoes like he does in the Galaxy games, but he does jump higher than Mario, which has come in handy a couple times.

His shoes are a little slippery if I remember correctly. But not enough for it to make a difference. Luigi is the better choice in this game. So much so that upon unlocking him I very rarely played as Mario. Though I am unsure about who I used to complete what so... playing through again will be difficult.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Problem is, it's tough to think of another character who has the same abilities as Mario and Luigi, without an expected moveset of their own. Might have been a good opportunity to introduce one, though.

They could use Wario and Waluigi if Waluigi wasn't so ridiculously tall (he'd be taller than Bowser if he could just straighten his legs).

• Options
    I still don't know why, but I didn't like Galaxy 2 that much. I still can't figure it out, because by all means it was a better game than Galaxy 1, and I liked that one a lot. So I don't know, I just couldn't get as excited about it as Galaxy 1. Maybe because it was pretty much an expansion pack more than anything. *shrug*

• Options
    I still don't know why, but I didn't like Galaxy 2 that much. I still can't figure it out, because by all means it was a better game than Galaxy 1, and I liked that one a lot. So I don't know, I just couldn't get as excited about it as Galaxy 1. Maybe because it was pretty much an expansion pack more than anything. *shrug*

Galaxy had better presentation and "story" while Galaxy 2 had more improved gameplay.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    While out and about today, I stopped into some random corner convenience store, and spotted the most adorable little Bob-omb candy container. It's just some cheap-o dollar item, and the candy is probably ho-hum. But I just had to grab the thing on pure instinct. and god damn does this little dude look bad-ass sitting on my desk. 8->

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    While out and about today, I stopped into some random corner convenience store, and spotted the most adorable little Bob-omb candy container. It's just some cheap-o dollar item, and the candy is probably ho-hum. But I just had to grab the thing on pure instinct. and god damn does this little dude look bad-ass sitting on my desk. 8->

Was it this?

51jrqsXfKxL._SL500_.jpg

I saw those a while back.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yup.

Clearly mass produced junk from a company selling out. :P

Still one badass little case. The windup key even spins!