As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Resistance [BSG-esque PBP Game] [GAME OVER-SPIES WIN]

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Me and Cerberus, yes.

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Spies

Cerberus
    Blahmcblah
    Egos
    Kilnaga

Egos and Kilnaga?

I'm okay with getting two out of four, especially when it's the two I stated I was most confident in accusing. :)

Tayrun on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    yeah we had bad luck. as I said had I put myself on the line-up it wouldn't have passed. I believe I was on several people's spylists?

so you,doodles (figured this out today from his behavior), cerberus, and ...... kilnaga?

edited September 2012
    bleh forgot about daemonis.

so

doodles,
    cerberus
    daemonis
    and you

Egos on
    Spies

Cerberus
    Blahmcblah
    Egos
    Kilnaga

Egos and Kilnaga?

I'm okay with getting two out of four, especially when it's the two I stated I was most confident in accusing. :)

..you didn't figure out that I wasn't a spy by the fact that I'm asking him?

*Facepalm*

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Daemonis. You mean Dan "Imperial Spy" Gorbovski was a spy? No way! I'm still not sure whether that was dumb or brilliant.

Egos wrote: »
    Spies

Cerberus
    Blahmcblah
    Egos
    Kilnaga

Egos and Kilnaga?

*Facepalm*

Pipe down with the repeated hostility and look at the damn timestamps boy.

blahmcblah wrote: »
    Daemonis. You mean Dan "Imperial Spy" Gorbovski was a spy? No way! I'm still not sure whether that was dumb or brilliant.

Huh. Daemonis was pretty much under the radar for me.

I wasn't certain about doodles until I read the last 8 hours of posting. Fairly confident that no spy does that good an impression of a very, very sleepy resistance member.

That leaves two spies amongst Egos, Daemonis and Kilnaga. Tricky. They've all been fairly quiet. Going off nothing but instinct, I think Kilnaga and Egos are the spies.

Doodles must have loved that first line.

The second is just awful. I picked the only spy as being the only resistance. :/

Spies

Cerberus
    Blahmcblah
    Egos
    Kilnaga

Egos and Kilnaga?

*Facepalm*

Pipe down with the repeated hostility and look at the damn timestamps boy.

Facepalms are hostile? It's more sarcastic

it was 4-3 minutes later than my posts *Shrugs*

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Ha, sorry. I really was on the run!

Had to travel for the weekend for a wedding, and it turns out the hotel's internet kiosk room was under renovation. A hotel with no internet!! Well, they did, but I had to be sneaky. When the front desk guy disappeared to address something I ducked behind the counter long enough to use the desk computer to post here that I wasn't dead. Viva la resistance!

So the no votes on that mission paint a pretty good spy picture. I was pretty sure of kilnaga and doodles. Kilnaga was against this lineup and then for no reason insisted that doodles had to be on this mission? Though one spy did vote yes.

Here goes nothing this mission. I'm going to be floored and quit mafia games forever if Mi-go or Blah turn out to be spies. I just can't compete with that caliber acting.

MrBody wrote: »

Here goes nothing this mission. I'm going to be floored and quit mafia games forever if Mi-go or Blah turn out to be spies. I just can't compete with that caliber acting.

:)
    :cry:

Ha, sorry. I really was on the run!

Had to travel for the weekend for a wedding, and it turns out the hotel's internet kiosk room was under renovation. A hotel with no internet!! Well, they did, but I had to be sneaky. When the front desk guy disappeared to address something I ducked behind the counter long enough to use the desk computer to post here that I wasn't dead. Viva la resistance!

So the no votes on that mission paint a pretty good spy picture. I was pretty sure of kilnaga and doodles. Kilnaga was against this lineup and then for no reason insisted that doodles had to be on this mission? Though one spy did vote yes.

..., wuh?

Time is still linear?

What is happening?

Really I should have paid more attention to the last 4 possibilities on my list , since they didn't clash with Mr.Body's principle of if there were two mafia on a group they both would have sabotaged it. It just would required have getting rid of the assertion that Tayrun was a baddie. Which so many had ingrained in their head :( Myself included.

Though about half-way through the game I was starting to think he wasn't...sadly I didn't keep ahold of it.

• doodles613doodles613 Registered User regular
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    Good game, suckas! No idea why doodles voted against a team with two spies on it. Maybe he just doesn't understand the rules of the game?

The goal of a spy is to create as much discord as possible. I have successfully argued to take suspicion off of you and cerb, and put it on other people, even if putting it a bit on myself. Also, I thought more people would have been suspicious of this plan, so I wanted to be in prime position to be considered safely alliance so that I could be on the 5th mission and give the spys a win. In the end though, Film's poor plan threw the game becuase no one could pin the spys (sorry Film, it also made it really easy to accuse you of being a spy). Egos and MrBody's idea really did the alliance in, it was just really really poor planning to choose 5 people from failed missions, so I am laughing right now, becuase we (the spys) won.

I would also like to point out, I don't 'think' I ever did say I was part of the alliance, and every time I refereed to 'we win' it would be true for the spy's lol

Sorry, no hard feelings to anyone, I only did my job as a spy, I'd love to play again sometime and good game to all :)!

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Was a fun and interesting game. Was fun getting Tayrun blamed for everything, that worked well for ages. Also disagreeing with other spies plans really helped one or the other get on the team.

right Cerb, That was my goal the whole time, and by arguing so much, no one though I could be a spy lol

Cerb
    Blah
    Doodles
    Deam

the spy list :)

except me. but by that point the goal was to make me look the bad guy :)

except me. but by that point the goal was to make me look the bad guy :)

lol, well, I saw the opportunity to paint a target on you and MrBody. I really wanted to try somehow to get all 4 spys on one mission, but it wasnt going to happens becuase ONE of them screwed up upon being assigned the roll lol

Wait, what happened? It's over? The last CapFalcon post I'm seeing is a call to sabotage/support the 4th mission.

yeah cerberus and blah are the spies.

basically should have not gone with the assumption that Tayrun was a bad guy ... doo doo

Also I noticed this before. But should have paid more attention to the people who said "maybe we should put Daemonis on a team" . I noticed doodles, flim (sadly), and cerberus did this while going over the thread.

edited September 2012
    Oh, I see it. The spies know there are 2 spies this mission so they're announcing it over.

I guess there were 2 factors that did us in:

-Tayrun constant tearing into Mi-Go's credibility as resistance. There's a definite point where it stops being roleplaying and starts getting fingers pointed at you.

-The complete disaster of the mass rotation for the 2nd mission. Flim should be made honorary spy for the sheer discord he sowed from the first proposal on. That created a huge window for spies to pass as resistance for pointing out how bad a plan it was. The funny thing is Blah was 100% correct on all his points about why it was a bad plan. If spies were used up or revealed after a sabotage that strategy might make sense, but otherwise there's never any reason to pick teams based on vetting untested players. The strategy of isolating a team because of one spy is bad enough, but isolated a team after zero sabotages? Whhhhaaaa? So that we have more "info" going into the easiest mission (2 sabotages required)? Double whaaaaaa? Failing early missions so that we're forced to go with the hardest 5th mission? Triple whaaaa?

The instant I saw kilnaga say they needed Doodles on a team I knew they were both spies.

I should have stuck to my rl Mafia secret technique for sniffing out mafia members 100% of the time. The sheer bowled-overness of the 2nd mission threw me off.

MrBody on
    I'd be interested in trying again with plot cards to see what those add.

edited September 2012
    Of course I supported good plans and railed against bad plans. To do otherwise makes people think you're a spy. If people think you're a spy, you can't get on a mission team, and if you can't get on a mission team, you can't sabotage missions. So basically I saw the object of the game as getting resistance members to trust me enough to put me on a mission team so I could sabotage - not just randomly sowing discord and hoping that it somehow messes the resistance up. I wasn't even lying when I said my proposed team for the 4th mission would pass it - as the only spy on the team, I would've voted to support so (as Cerberus mentioned repeatedly) the resistance would basically be forced to vote for the same team for mission #5, at which point I would've sabotaged for the win. But this ending, though unexpected, was just as cool.

Good game everyone, and sorry for being a spy. As it turned out, my father wasn't just some Imperial lackey, but the Emperor's right hand man himself! And he said we could rule the world as father and son! You can't imagine the temptation... the power... Muhuhuhahahahahahaaaaaa!

blahmcblah on
    Thanks much for hosting, @Capfalcon! I might be up for trying again with plot cards. Hopefully the resistance will win next time (and I'll be one of them, of course...).

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Well, if people are still interested, I'll throw up another one tomorrow.

• mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

Yay!

Good game. The spies played well and the Resistance was terribly unorganized and divided. We deserved to lose!

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    Well, egg is on my face regarding doodles - well played, sir. I believe 'genius' is the phrase that I bandied about. I'm glad I at least was on target about Cerberus at the end. Sorry kilnaga and tayrun too! You were both winning me over by the end, I guess a bit too late.

I was dead on about blah's mission proposal too, but I guess it wouldn't have done the resistsnce any good :D

Now going to reread the whole thing and laugh at the folly...

Count me in for the next one, I'm intrigued by the plot cards!

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    Oh, and thank you so much for hosting, @Capfalcon !

• mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Looking back, it was a terrible plan to rotate members in the second mission. Let's try not to do that again.

Yeah, I'm a bit gutted that if I and others hadn't voted against my first proposal, we would have been 2-0 up. To be fair though, I wasn't the only resistance member to vote against it.

-The complete disaster of the mass rotation for the 2nd mission. Flim should be made honorary spy for the sheer discord he sowed from the first proposal on. That created a huge window for spies to pass as resistance for pointing out how bad a plan it was. The funny thing is Blah was 100% correct on all his points about why it was a bad plan. If spies were used up or revealed after a sabotage that strategy might make sense, but otherwise there's never any reason to pick teams based on vetting untested players. The strategy of isolating a team because of one spy is bad enough, but isolated a team after zero sabotages? Whhhhaaaa? So that we have more "info" going into the easiest mission (2 sabotages required)? Double whaaaaaa? Failing early missions so that we're forced to go with the hardest 5th mission? Triple whaaaa?

I'm not sure I should get all the blame for this. My first proposal was sound after all, and I wasn't the only resistance to vote against it - kilnaga and tayrun's arguments persuaded me (erroneously) that my first plan was flawed. Admittedly my second proposal was far worse, and I hadn't understood at that point exactly how the voting and deadlines were supposed to work (your post saying 'what's next, new plan, new leader?' really confused me, for instance, and helped me along to the silly conclusion that I should propose a new team.) The second plan may have confused matters, but at least it wasn't allowed!
    The instant I saw kilnaga say they needed Doodles on a team I knew they were both spies.

kilnaga was resistance :p

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular

I'm not sure I should get all the blame for this. My first proposal was sound after all, and I wasn't the only resistance to vote against it - kilnaga and tayrun's arguments persuaded me (erroneously) that my first plan was flawed. Admittedly my second proposal was far worse, and I hadn't understood at that point exactly how the voting and deadlines were supposed to work (your post saying 'what's next, new plan, new leader?' really confused me, for instance, and helped me along to the silly conclusion that I should propose a new team.) The second plan may have confused matters, but at least it wasn't allowed!

Yeh, I was resistance. Doodles acting convinced me he was too. D:

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Thanks for the game.
    I overestimated my abilty to play social games, so there was almoslt no input from me. Sorry about that.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

Thanks for hosting Cap, was awesome, would love to play again.

I found that in order to stop a full resistance team being picked for the second mission (first team plus Flim) I had to A) Create a load of doubt and jump on other poor resistance ideas such as rotating people out... and B) Make a quite obvious sabotage of the second mission, from that point on I was always in doubt, it took me two missions to convince people it was Tayrun and get back on the team. In the mean time the other spies just sided against everything I was doing and working on the assumption that one side would win and we'd have spies on whichever team got in.
    Largely in this game I think you need to assume that spies wont side with each other as that is the safest way, they only want one person on the team normally so all taking the same stand point is dangerous.

GG all.

My brains say Flim. My gut says Cerb. (one talks alot but has acted oddly= flim...the talking alot has worked in his favor though)

Brains trump gut usually. Oh well..

@Egos sounds like you should trust your gut more often ;)

Thanks for hosting @Capfalcon, I laughed a lot during this. :D

First paragraph: I agree, but relax. There's a lot of fail to go around for what happened over the second mission.

Second paragraph: :rotate:

Don't worry, I'm not particularly annoyed. Just wanted to point out I didn't wreck our chances all by my lonesome ;-)