As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Resistance [BSG-esque PBP Game] [GAME OVER-SPIES WIN]

1101112131416»

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Don't worry, I'm not particularly annoyed. Just wanted to point out I didn't wreck our chances all by my lonesome ;-)

I think you were doing fine.

I did mess up though, in retrospect introducing the "rotation strategy" when most people haven't played before was a terrible idea. Should have just let y'all shake out a strategy for yourselves.

I was pretty surprised by the general response to my crapful trashtalk/gibberish though. I guess, again, new players, hence the game's tone is more serious than I'm used to. I forgot how fun it is watching someone react the first time ever that they get accused of being a spy. Particularly my new best-buddy-forever, @mi-go hunter. :heart:

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    You ever notice how post-phallia games in retrospect it seems terribly obvious who was mafia?

edited September 2012
    Yeah.

Still, live and learn.

Edit: Having said that, I think no matter how much I play this I would not pick up on someone like doodles being a spy. He just seemed so honestly, utterly confused!

Tayrun on
    edited September 2012
    My super secret mafia sniffing technique had him red flagged for the last 2 missions. Kilnaga's out of left field suggestion confirmed that suspicion. I thought maybe it could be kilnaga trying to discredit doodles, but wrote that off as 1 for 1 being a terrible trade off for the spies.

I just wasn't listening to my intuition after the 2nd mission. Blah's pleads to stick with the original team was just such a fresh breathe of air that I was seduced by his charms. After rubberstamping him, it seemed like Tayrun was the obvious choice with the huge feud between him and Mi-Go which I guess was just roleplaying going too far.

By the halfway point, doodles and cerebus were making my spidey sense tingle. I didn't have enough to accuse them without looking suspicious though.

I'm actually not sure this game would work in a real life group that knew each other. If the spies can work out some kind of pre-agreement on who sabotages missions, it'd be next to impossible for the resistance to narrow them down.

MrBody on
    Is the mafia sniffing technique something that would work in person, or is it based on how games work when played online?

edited September 2012
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Is the mafia sniffing technique something that would work in person, or is it based on how games work when played online?

Both. It's not who says little or a lot, but rather how people speak up and when they choose to say things.

I heard a story how one mafia/BSG player always ruined the game for everyone. His father had been a police detective and taught him body language, ticks, and speech patterns that tipped off when someone was lying. He would go around flat out asking "Are you a Cylon" and looking right into their eyes for several seconds. Just from that he could finger traitors with about 90% accuracy. Effective but not very fun.

MrBody on
  • mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Don't worry, I'm not particularly annoyed. Just wanted to point out I didn't wreck our chances all by my lonesome ;-)

I did mess up though, in retrospect introducing the "rotation strategy" when most people haven't played before was a terrible idea. Should have just let y'all shake out a strategy for yourselves.

I was pretty surprised by the general response to my crapful trashtalk/gibberish though. I guess, again, new players, hence the game's tone is more serious than I'm used to. I forgot how fun it is watching someone react the first time ever that they get accused of being a spy. Particularly my new best-buddy-forever, @mi-go hunter. :heart:

Oh your accusations became more serious later, Spyrun, and that's when I got annoyed. >:[

I know you are Resistance but to me, you will always be Spyrun.

Oh your accusations became more serious later, Spyrun, and that's when I got annoyed. >:[

I know you are Resistance but to me, you will always be Spyrun.

They did?

Where?

I don't recall having ever actually accusing you, but if I did, well, I'd have had reasons.

• mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Yeah, no, I'm done explaining things. Either it's just not getting through or I'm simply hearing invalid objections from spies trying to mess things up.

Seriously Tayrun, that's getting old.

Yeah this time it ain't bullshit though.

Yeah you were arguing against the rotation strategy. Not that suspicious in and of itself, but when you initially agreed with the plan then changed your mind when it became clear you'd be in a minority, that sticks out.

I'm sorry if I upset you, but yeah you looked spyish at that point.

You'll note I hope that before that I was clearly fooling around, and after that you ended up on my "definitely resistance" list.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    My brains say Flim. My gut says Cerb. (one talks alot but has acted oddly= flim...the talking alot has worked in his favor though)

Brains trump gut usually. Oh well..

@Egos sounds like you should trust your gut more often ;)

Yeah it's a tad unfortunate. Similar to Mrbody not using his mafia instincts.

• doodles613doodles613 Registered User regular
    If be up for another game :)

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    A new thread has already been set up for it here