As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]The new thread is not innovative. It is however FUCKING AMAZING.

• Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    I would appreciate if PA guild with some empty spot (Candymancers maybe?) would invite flick.6984 Thank you.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    I would appreciate if PA guild with some empty spot (Candymancers maybe?) would invite flick.6984 Thank you.

I will tonight if no one gets to you by then, Jag.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I've been meaning to drop my Aegis.2614 now that I've got everything back up and running, too.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    See, with the focus, not only do you get, like, the only source of mesmer Swiftness, you also get what's essentially an AoE Force Throw. So fun.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Can someone give me a crash course for WvWvW?

Basically, what can/can't I do as a single person. Particularly in getting Map completion. I think I've gotten as many POIs and Vistas as possible without actually owning any enemy towers and such. So basically I've gotten the supply camp POIs, and the vistas that are in between locations.

If I see a POI inside an actual Tower Fortress, and I'm alone, am I screwed? Or is there a way for my, by myself, to break in?

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I think the ecology in GW2 is beyond screwed. Techincally all the predator species should be extinct as the almost neutral food animals consistently beats them in fights and they have to fight assorted intelligent species and undead for the underleveled adventurers.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    See, with the focus, not only do you get, like, the only source of mesmer Swiftness, you also get what's essentially an AoE Force Throw. So fun.

I'm also building up to try and see how well it works as a feedback wall with that talent you get that makes Focus skills reflect projectiles.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    @Rend

I hate you.

I hate you for rekindling my love for my engineer. Like I needed another character to level.

:P

Honestly, I love your build. Sure, I'm only 22, but bombs + flamethrower + pistol/shield is awesomesauce. 3 blinds? Multiple bleeds? Confusion, burn, poison, more burn, knockback, daze? Swear to god my engy does more conditions than a necro.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    I think the ecology in GW2 is beyond screwed. Techincally all the predator species should be extinct as the almost neutral food animals consistently beats them in fights and they have to fight assorted intelligent species and undead for the underleveled adventurers.

Those deer seriously fuck shit up.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    The Norn should have a Spirit of Deer, because it would be funny to transform into a doe and kill dragons.

"I am Tenderlegs, Doe of Destiny!"

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Herp derp double post.

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The Norn should have a Spirit of Deer, because it would be funny to transform into a doe and kill dragons.

Tenderlegs got me. I don't know why it's so funny... but it is.

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    So far everything I've seen as the Undead have a living equivalent except for one species found in the level 80 zone:
    Gorillas. I've not seen any regular gorillas in the game, and that makes me suspicious. Are they tucked away in a dungeon somewhere I haven't been? Or is this a call back to GW2, and maybe Orr was known for its gorillas.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I assume that race was only around in Orr.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    My theory:
    The Gorillas are in the Mists.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

but it doesn't do like...any damage, does it?
    i'm having a hard time taking off my pistol or my staff because i feel like dead weight with any other loadouts

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Makes me wonder if the ecology simulator in UO (in beta) would have survived if the fauna was as hardcore as it is in GW2. Small explanation - animal populations and behaviors in UO beta actually had some intelligence and would be impacted by player behavior (ie kill a prey animal to nothing and the predators switch to other prey), but players were so murderous for everything small and fluffy that it completely fucked the system and it got cut.

Perhaps evolution in the GW2 universe has worked out that to be a survivor animal, you either need to breed like crazy or be able to kill a risen or whatever outright.

So clearly what is needed is for the Pact to start breeding deer to serve as shocktroopers.
    i'm having a hard time taking off my pistol or my staff because i feel like dead weight with any other loadouts

Yeah, no damage. The pull part I find more useful than the swiftness part, but on whole I don't find it more useful than the other offhands. That being said, the Warden (5 ability) comes close to making up for no damage from 4 - if you park it properly it does craaaaazy damage.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    This is smart. Via reddit-

If you are going to have a full set of magic find gear- buy LVL 79 gear. The stat difference is literally like 2 points and the cost diff is about 6 gold.

Good idea.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular

It counts as an interrupt for all of those traits that care about such things, including the one that has interrupts deal damage. =)

I'm using staff for my damage and then scepter/focus for the insane utility and survivability.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    Well, it didn't help that someone posted the "BUY TRAVELER'S RARE SET WHEN YOU'RE 80" yesterday there. I still managed to get mine for around 2g minus runes and jewels.

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Friend of mine worked out the cost effectiveness of the Mystic Salvage Kit. I expected it to only really be useful for the bag space it saves. But it turns out it is actually cheaper to make a Mystic Salvage kit.

Mystic Salvage Kit - .373 silver per use
    Master's Salvage Kit - .6144 silver per use

Not my math. But it looks like the Mystic Salvage Kit is half the price of Master's Salvage kits.

• Options

It counts as an interrupt for all of those traits that care about such things, including the one that has interrupts deal damage. =)

I'm using staff for my damage and then scepter/focus for the insane utility and survivability.

scepter? really?

my impression has been that mesmer scepter is unequivocally the worst weapon in the game

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    All these people with their "get magic find gear!" thing.
    I am not playing Diablo fucking 3.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I don't know if Mesmer Scepter is the worst, but it is very...situational.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    Klyka wrote: »

Yea I don't really get it in this game... all the stats are the same... why do you need this magic find?

• Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Yea I don't really get it in this game... all the stats are the same... why do you need this magic find?

I'd be curious to know if it has an effect on gathering. Might be worth it for that. Don't see much of a point otherwise (and it's not like magic drops are *rare* to begin with).

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I bought almost a full set of superior runes of the pirate, which is the same amount of magic find as traveler, for less than half the cost.
    Then for an extra 7%, instead of the 6th rune, I have one major rune of the pirate. Another +7%!
    Additionally I am wearing two green level 80 opal accessories and 2 green level 80 opal rings (6 magic find apiece, for another 24%). Next time I get enough gold for an ecto and find another 6 or so opal orbs, I'm going to make myself an exotic magic find amulet (8%).

Last but not least, both my pistol and my shield have stacking major luck sigils (.4% per stack) the stacks still only go up to 25 but you reach that twice as fast- and if I'm going to be farming dungeons a lot then that's important.

All in all my magic find without the 10% from my weapon stacks crests 70%. Add in another 10% from weapon and 30% from nutrition and I am well over 100.

[EDIT] That being said the first thing I do when I finish my amulet is going to be to replace my gear with some f'ing vit/tough/condition gear. Because I am really really upset none of the level 80 karma merchants have a set like that for me, and it's pretty critical to me not taking any damage.

Rend on
  • Options
    Magic find does affect gathering, it increases the rate of finding gems in mining nodes and maybe the hidden stashes in saplings

Also the bird from six pirate runes does a lot more damage than I had expected

• Options

Tenderlegs got me. I don't know why it's so funny... but it is.

And I now have a human Elementalist called Tenderlegs. There wasn't room to add 'of Destiny', though I might make a 'Doe of Destiny' character later, when I get another slot.

• Options
    I can't wait till I am 80 and I can finally wear parts of the Order of Whispers armor set.
    My dude will be wearing items with the looks of Sylvari Tier 1 cultural set and the OoW set combined.
    I tried it out in preview, it looks glorious as fuck.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    I can't wait till I am 80 and I can finally wear parts of the Order of Whispers armor set.
    My dude will be wearing items with the looks of Sylvari Tier 1 cultural set and the OoW set combined.

Buy it now and transmute it down, then later transmute it back up!

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The way magic find works is it does not increase your drops, but it does increase the quality of your drops, so if you're running around Orr all those blues and greens will have a better chance of being yellows. This is important because you need level 70+ yellows/oranges to salvage for ectoplasm, if you are planning on crafting any exotic gear. Every piece of weapon/armor takes 5 ectoplasms to make.

MF gear is just another avenue to exotic gear basically. You try to get yellows, salvage them, get ecto, then craft yourself cool exotics. Alternatively you can also just run EM dungeons and get exotic gear. That's the beauty of GW2. There are multiple avenues you can take to get a set of exotics. MF is also useful if you plan to try for a legendary, because there are very limited numbers of Orichalcum/Ancient wood etc. nodes in the world, and salvaging yellow+ gear is another way to get more, so getting more yellows is good.

• Options

I totally cannot remember if that is bought with karma or cash monies?

• Options
    edited September 2012

Nah, I am 1 1/2 levels away from 80 so it would be a hassle and waste. That's like, 30min of playtime to get to 80 :D

Money. Cold, hard money.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options

Nah, I am 1 1/2 levels away from 80 so it would be a hassle and waste. That's like, 30min of playtime to get to 80 :D

Money. Cold, hard money.

Saweeeeet. Wiki doesn't have the costs up atm... do you remember what they are? I definitely am going to mix a few pieces of the light armor into my outfit.

• Options

Money. Cold, hard money.

Saweeeeet. Wiki doesn't have the costs up atm... do you remember what they are? I definitely am going to mix a few pieces of the light armor into my outfit.

I know that my medium armor chest piece costs 1G 80S.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So apparently if you try to buy gems from the store multiple times in a row, this game has some sort of security measure built in that just stops approving your gem purchases, and flags your account. Like they're trying to protect you from hacking. Except that a bunch of people have now been unable to buy gems since the game launched and they still haven't resolved it. It's now been a week for me with no resolution. I have patience, but they're going to have to do something about this soon.

I made gem purchases 3 separate times in one hour, and that's what got flagged, heh. I appreciate the sentiment and all, but I have an actual bank handling potential fraud, I don't need a video game developer trying a ham fisted method of the same thing. Just let me spend my money.

Joshmvii on
  • Options

Money. Cold, hard money.

I know that my medium armor chest piece costs 1G 80S.

Awwww yeeeaaaa. I know what I'm buying this weekend!

• Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Man this sucks. I haven't died at any time since yesterday, and I'm about to complete the Experience Survivor monthly achievement, when all of sudden the bar stops moving. I look online and I find out that apparently changing zones causes it to reset.

Is this intended behaviour or just a bug? Cause I was just 20k experience away from completing it :(

(tagging @World as Myth since she might know)

qwer12 on
    steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    I think it's probably a bug. Honestly though, once you reach like level 50, you will get that part of the monthly achievement in like 45 minutes just doing your thing in a zone, doing events, hearts, etc. That's how I got it anyway, without even trying.

This discussion has been closed.