As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DayZ Standalone] Early Access now available on Steam

MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Games and Technology
CkN9Q.png
Current version:
1.7.2 ALPHA
Chernarus.

A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is Day Z. This is your story.
(From the official DayZ homepage.)

You've probably heard of it, the increasingly popular mod for ARMA II. Day Z takes place in Chernarus, the whole 225 square kilometers are explorable and you have one objective: Survive.
World is persistent, as in, you will keep your gear, health and location even if you log out, or change servers.

It is a very dangerous world. You have to fight (fast) zombies and (player controlled) bandits as well, you need to eat, drink water and avoid catching a cold if you want to live. Getting shot or hit by zombies can cause you to bleed, enter shock or break a bone, all which if not treated immediately can signify certain death. Once you're dead, you're dead. There's no respawning with your character, all your gear is lost to whoever loots your corpse.

This also isn't your daddy's shooter: Unlike 99% of all FPS games out there, bullets come out of your weapon (Instead of the top of your head) and have realistic ballistics applied to them. Bullet speed & gravity are a factor, weapons have weight to them, and simple things such as running around will mess up your aim if you're winded.

Currently, there is no penalty for killing other players other than losing humanity, so it is strongly encouraged to move with a group, and avoid large-PVP-heavy cities such as Chernogorsk, Elektrozavodsk, Stary Sobor or the Northwest airbase.

You will start with very basic gear, most important tip: GET OFF THE [DANG] COAST!
It is full of bandits (Players who only kill survivors to loot their bodies) and staying too long there will only get you killed. You start without a map or even a compass. Look at the Sun or the stars to find your North (Or when you first login, look at the bottom right to know where you spawned, and based on that check an online map) and just head inland. Loot spawns in almost any enterable building, but all buildings spawn zombies (zeds). They react to sight and sound, shoot only if absolutely necessary.

Some people though, they say you should actually check out the coastal cities. I guess it depends on the servers:
My current starting strategy has been to do a loop through either Elektro or Cherno to gear up, then head north in an attempt to get to Stary Sobor and it's military camp. I won't head inland until i have at least a set of matches, non-einfeld rifle, large pack (czech or alice), extra meds, extra food and one spare water bottle. It's easily doable in either city if you make sure to hit the fire stations and general stores. I haven't really worked with anyone yet other than one nice fellow who gave me a transfusion.

VIDEO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

JOIN US!
We have 2 servers now!

SERVER INFO

**TARKOVSKY & LEM are now OFFLINE**

Why? Because this:
Since the introduction of of regularcheck, server IO performance has taken a huge hit. If you are running multiple instances off of your server, this problem will be amplified. The best solution to the problem is to upgrade your server with SSDs. Larges sizes are not needed, so this can be done on a budget.

In the worst case scenario regularcheck can be turned off by changing the line to “regularcheck = "";.” Deleting your regularcheck line will not turn off regular checks.

BIS is working on addressing these issues and future updates may include a solution for the excessive IO usage.

Orik ran both instances on one server, and wasn't about to drop $$$ for an SSD because of a bug.

Fret not, we have these two other servers:

THE CLAM BAKE!
Search for: The Clam
Regular difficulty, no nametags, 3rd person enabled, no sidechat.

TS3 info for The Clam Bake:
Address: 66.150.164.58
Ask here for the password.

Here's our brand new SECOND server!
Managed by Gnometank.

Search For: US 899 or Brainling
Difficulty: Veteran, 3DP: on, CH: on
TS3 Info:
us899.typefrag.com:7430
Ask here for the password.
How do I play this?

You need to have ARMA II: Combined Operations in order to play this.

One alternative is to download ARMA II Free and then buy Operation Arrowhead, but I believe you will have low res textures for ARMA II assets.

***NEW INSTALLATION METHOD***

Just go to http://www.dayzcommander.com/

Install DayZ Commander, and let it do everything else for you.

Helpful stuff:
Wictro's Day-Z Help Center
I have this link bookmarked on my Steam internet browser, that way I can quickly use those loot maps without having to ALT TAB out of the game.

Low contrast night map.
For when navigating at night you don't get all the glare from the default white map.

Loot cheat sheet.
Information of what spawns where.

Official DayZ download.

ARMA 2 BETA patch

MrDelish on

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    What is wakkawa's server info?

• JadwickJadwick Registered User regular
    US 2770
    199.229.249.51:2312

• NijaNija Registered User regular
    The Play.withsix website is the official way to download and install.

Just sayin'.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Well, that's certainly better than the garbage updater they've been using up until now.

DayZ Commander still seems much stronger if you're only looking for DayZ/Lingor games.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited September 2012
    Oh, my story for today: Apparently on the server I've been frequenting lately, the NW airfield hangars are the equivalent of giant human Venus flytraps. I found two more dead survivors standing around in the hangars, and helped myself to an M24, M4A1 CCO, coyote, G17, and various other sundry goods. Then I found another guy who perished to the rubble heap in front of the ATC. This one had a ton of delicious STANAG SD ammo.

If this hangar keeps munching people, I'm going to have to visit it a lot more often. Carefully.

EDIT: I should add that on this life, I happened to spawn on the East Coast, which I've only had happen once before. I figured I'd do a route through Berezino, Krasnostav, and then west through the vehicle spawns, stands, and Devil's Castle. It...was extremely underwhelming, especially the airfield. I was fortunate enough to find the ATVs (five minutes before I dumped my engine parts, jerry can, and tire :/), and then a working motorcycle that got me most of the way to the Castle.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I try to join populated servers to see how its like playing with more than 10 people.

AS50 erry time.

I found a PBX (small rubber boat with a engine) on Skailsty Island. My first interaction with a vehicle. I jumped in and starting riding west-ish. A small town starts forming, with a pier. As soon as I approach the beach, screen went grey. I died. I'm guessing I got shot. Hope they liked my flashlight and bandage.

Steam Me
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »
    I found a PBX (small rubber boat with a engine) on Skailsty Island. My first interaction with a vehicle. I jumped in and starting riding west-ish. A small town starts forming, with a pier. As soon as I approach the beach, screen went grey. I died. I'm guessing I got shot. Hope they liked my flashlight and bandage.

You found one of the most desirable vehicles in the game.

u4OkoEI.png
    Nija wrote: »

You found one of the most desirable vehicles in the game.

Best 5 minutes ever.

Steam Me
    And now you've painted one of the most desirable vehicles in the game.

I've taken up residence around Svalka. I haven't found any servers yet with a heli crash in the north, but the Ural is almost always there, and (if you're lucky) you can pick up a couple of RGO timed grenades along with the free soda.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    One time I found a bicycle!

I rode around for a couple minutes then the server crashed and I respawned, bicycle-less, a mile away

When I do a new spawn I heavily prefer to go through Guglovo if I've spawned anywhere near Cherno or east of it; there are two bicycle spawns listed right next to each other (one is actually a motorcycle spawn within a shed), and a bunch of farms all around if you need a jerry can. Almost everything else needs some sort of repairs, and if you play on a server that restarts every X hours it can feel like a waste of time to bother. The Guglovo motorcycle has enough gas to get you to Novy. If you gas it up beforehand you can easily make it to a gas station (good luck filling up safely, of course...)

• BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    Shiashi, I've decided we should grab a few tents and set then up upstairs in some of the low yields... Nobody likes to look up there without gear, and anyone with gear won't have a need to. I'm pretty sure tents should still be saving since that servers old enough to ammo glitch. (This ignores how easy it is to gear up on the isles of course). Also, I've decided I need to dump the 6 pack of soda and some of the other junk I'm carrying and make room for a up close primary. The pdw works on Zeds, but I'm worried about rounding the corning into other players.(I do hate the irons on the pdw thought). Maybe roll one of the Kobras we keep coming across. DMR=Win vs players at a disance, but its too damn loud for clearing those barracks given the zombie density.

DS0mQJS.png
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    BeornK wrote: »
    Also, I've decided I need to dump the 6 pack of soda and some of the other junk I'm carrying and make room for a up close primary. The pdw works on Zeds, but I'm worried about rounding the corning into other players.(I do hate the irons on the pdw thought). Maybe roll one of the Kobras we keep coming across. DMR=Win vs players at a disance, but its too damn loud for clearing those barracks given the zombie density.

yeah, there's a reason the most common dupe loadout is AS50/silenced M4/silenced M9, it being the nice balance of 300m+ murderin' gun/up-close player or zombie murderin' gun/zombie murderin' sidearm. even getting away from that mold and ditching either silenced weapon since both are mildly overrated, relying on a sidearm to deal with players just isn't an option whereas they're perfect for throwing away ammo on zombie headshots. unless you're running a czech pack, second primary + 2 painkillers + 2 morphine + 1 food + 1 water bottle is a really simple loadout that leaves room for a few random choices like ammo for that primary, a second frag grenade, antibiotics, etc.

Torgairon on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Carry a SAW for zombies and anything in .308 or higher for people. The SAW has a comically low aggro radius for zombies, the same as the 5.45x39s and other 5.56x45 weapons.

u4OkoEI.png
    @wakkawa: Really enjoy your server. Really hate the nameplates. :/

Yeah, I'd play on Wakkawa's more if at least the free GPS on the map was turned off. Nameplates would be a bonus.

u4OkoEI.png
    My first spawn finding a Ghillie (which I never put on) came to an abrupt end when I found a clan's tent setup near the car spawn east of Novy.

'Oh, huh, this is interesting, ten frag gr--'

<pew><pew><pew><pew>

'...yeah I should have seen this coming.'

• Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    hopped on a server, ran all the way to cherno to kill some players, hacker ran up behind me, humming and saying "don't shoot me bro". I whipped around, emptied half a mag into him, he runs behind a tree, pops out and 1 shots me with an AS 50. "That's what you get. That's what you get for shooting me bro."

Fuck this game.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    hopped on a server, ran all the way to cherno to kill some players, hacker ran up behind me, humming and saying "don't shoot me bro". I whipped around, emptied half a mag into him, he runs behind a tree, pops out and 1 shots me with an AS 50. "That's what you get. That's what you get for shooting me bro."

Fuck this game.

To be fair, you did try and murderize him first.

JtgVX0H.png
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Fuck this game.

To be fair, you did try and murderize him first.

once hackers warp in behind you, they're going to kill you once their split-second attention span wavers or they run out of memes to recreate, so I don't blame him for checking if the hacker had god mode on or not.

just had the same general situation happen to me, some guy warped in and spawned a tractor for me to ride as I started over in three valleys. drove it halfway to elektro, then he warped in again in a car, told me to get out, so I obliged because fuck it. he satchel charged my vehicle, knocked me out, dragged me around for a while and by then I'd tabbed out because holy fuck at least most hackers just kill you instead of wasting 10 minutes of your time.

spawned again on the same server outside cherno, within five minutes the guy and his new ghillied friend were passing by my loot house in the same car. they noobtubed me I'm pretty sure, my body certainly caught some air.

generally the hackers in this game are kind of pathetic, especially since they have to talk over a mic - these two were no exception. I think if it was really apparent some guy teleported in behind me and there was no gimmick, just an AS50, I'd probably have just aborted rather than shooting him.

I've met a few funny hackers and more than enough shitty ones. They're out there.

One guy shot me in the legs with an M16A2 from like 200m out on the Cherno coast and then ran up to me. Instead of insulting him, I complimented his mother and he wound up giving me all his gear.

Worked out pretty well.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    Like I'm not mad, it was just so anti-climatic.

• November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    There's always one piece of gear that I just can't find. This life it is the compass.

Every gear pile that I check is another watch. 10- 20 watches in a row...

I may just fill up my back pack with watches for my future killer to find.

Or become some sort of time themed villain.

Or both.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    There's always one piece of gear that I just can't find. This life it is the compass.

Every gear pile that I check is another watch. 10- 20 watches in a row...

I may just fill up my back pack with watches for my future killer to find.

Or become some sort of time themed villain.

Or both.

That would be amazing.

"Man, what the fuck was this guy up to? Backpack is fuckin full of watches and shit"

JtgVX0H.png
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I once filled a tent up with all the extra watches, binocs, and canteens I had found because fuck carrying all that shit. I didn't even really need them, they were just potential backups for people if they needed some. Unfortunately I had fooled myself into thinking that the spot I put the tent in was far enough away from a town to be left alone. I was wrong. I returned the next day to find that someone/s had taken each and every extra watch and binoc I had put in there. I can imagine him skittering away with a bag full of loot, like a classic bank robber. Only, his bag isn't covered in $ symbols, but of watches.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    before my regular server shut down, we had a guy who was known in the TS as the Tin Can Murderer.

We never found out who the guy was, but he would murder people and fill their backpacks up with bent tin cans. You would occasionally find a corpse, go to loot it and find nothing but tin cans. I dunno if the guy was really good or we just had a series of copycat killers but you would almost be guaranteed to find at least one corpse a session, chock full of cans

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    You fools, it wasn't another player it was the cans.

• MendrianMendrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I can't seem to find the Clam Bake through Day-Z Commander. Is there some trick to it I'm not seeing?

Mendrian on
    Clam's gone.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Had my first experience with an alt+f4 dude. We were making our way to Elektro, when we noticed 2 guys coming down the hill from the lighthouse. We thought about our next move, I had a clear shot on them, but we decided against that, since my friend only had a shotgun on him. As they made their way towards Cherno, a car drove right past us, probably didn't notice us, since we were prone in the grass.

We still saw the guys running, the same way the car was headed, then a new factor appeared in all this. A ghillie suited guy was shadowing the two dudes, keeping his distance from them. When they all vanished from our sight, we were laughing at what just happened, still prone, my friend suddenly says that the ghillie suited dude is coming directly towards us. We wait untill he is within a few meters away from us and unleash hell on him. He mumbles something, dies, but his body just disappeared ? He took a shot at us with a sniper but missed.

A few minutes later, my friend gets shot with a sniper and so did I. Pretty sure it was the same guy. Still, the most action I've seen so far.

steam_sig.png
  • BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Recent Arma news: Apparently two guys working for BI got arrested in Greece for taking picture of a military base. I think the realism thing is out of hand.

Also, I've figured out what the Standalone needs: Replace/supplement the NW airfield barracks with the following: A pitch black underground bunker complex with a generator outside that you can turn on/off that contains all the good loot+uber loads of zombies. Imagine having your buddies covering the generator while you raid it for loot, only to see them get offed and then the generator cuts out while a mess of zombies start charging you. Sure you might make the main exit, but you know somebodies racing from the generators to cover the entrance to the tunnels. Think like a really big complex that takes real time to clear/search with loots of side paths/levels/rooms ect. Also, we need gun stores/pawn shops with lots of ammo and some civy weapons. Remove the weapons from from market and then add the guns stores as a new shop type. (edited for typos)

BeornK on
    DS0mQJS.png
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Found an M249 yesturday, yummy :) Loved that I can use normal 30 round STANAG mags in it.

The SAW's just too easy. Too much room for other shit when you can carry 100 rounds per slot.

u4OkoEI.png
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Well true. But they arnt that easy to find. STANAG to the rescue.

Lind on
    100-rounders seem easy enough when barracks farming. I've upgraded sequentially from M16 to M4A1 CCO to M4A3 CCO SD for primary, and M14 AIM to Dragunov SVD for long-range engagements...but I can't do any of that without NV goggles, which are still eluding me despite a couple of heli crashes.

• AzroxioxAzroxiox Registered User new member
    The two listed servers appear to be down. Is there another server you guys play on? Would appreciate some more people to play this with.

The Mumble seems to be pretty empty when I check it. I usually just go around solo, but I don't like to do it unless I have gear to not get smoked like a cheap cigar.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Three straight servers with hackers. This time, they can control you and make you fall off of whatever building you're camping Cherno on! Wonderful.

Lind wrote: »
    Well true. But they arnt that easy to find. STANAG to the rescue.

249 belts spawn in the same places as STANAGs and have nearly the same spawn chance.

u4OkoEI.png