As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Now in Syndra-cation where available!

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    PG penta is too easy :bz

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • VizardObserverVizardObserver The Duke of Ridiculous Poppycocky Registered User regular
    Beep boop jayce players pls I want to play singed
    pls stop
    jayce pls

• Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    And to the whole Veigar issue, it drew far out to left field. The original issue I was directing my commentary towards was that Khavall was ignoring W until level 8.
    Not a single champion has an ability that you should be ignoring that long. At worst, you should have all 3 abilities by level 5.
    I merely elaborated that, by early levels, I would normally take a level in stun cage, and depending on my lane opponent, have any other combination of W or Q. W if I needed to clear waves faster because they push hard, or Q if they're playing passive and letting me farm. Once you hit level 6, that's when you grab your ult, and begin playing mind games with the enemy by moving in to pop them. Level 7-10 is also dependent upon how they react. If they let me farm, I'll take Q. If they get aggressive, I'll start mixing E and W in.
    But by that point, I feel the problem of not taking rank 1 of W by level 8 should be answered for.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Rami wrote: »
    PG penta is too easy :bz

I've gotten a few, but never really felt the need to add it since most of them were with Lux, Karthus, Rammus, and Ez. :|

Hargaad of Omnar on
    Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    I don't think PG pentas should be included, it's just too easy.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    But some of us still haven't gotten a penta. For that matter, I've only been in one game with a penta. And no, it wasnt a PG.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I don't think Graves pentas should be included, it's just too easy.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Man, I don't know if my normal elo is too low, but I keep getting stuck with the jackasses lately. Maybe I just need to stop playing TT...

• AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    I must be Terribad since I haven't got a penta. :(

Carnarvon wrote: »
    I don't think Graves pentas should be included, it's just too easy.

Touche, touche.

Pentas should definitely be rare. I've played about 1500 summoner rifts games and I've had 2 pentakills (Graves and Caitlyn), but I've played maybe 100 PG and I've had 2 pentakills. I'll see a penta in 1/10 PG games I think, but I haven't seen a penta in SR in maybe a month.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I have a penta, but it was so long ago and I have no pictures. Nor was in ranked where I could just pull up the proof :(.

For the record, it was Nidalee, a while before her cougar form got buffed. AP Nidalee, pouncing their asses.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Repost from last thread on Jayce so it doesn't get lost

Oh boy, I have been maining Jayce in ranked so this is all 1200 elo advice.

First, Jayce is more of a poke champ than a burst you down and murder you champ. So to that end, as a top lane champ (which is where he belongs) you should be constantly poking and harassing past level 3 (or else where you wont eat lots of minion harass in return).

As such, against melee champions, you want to default to stay in hammer stance. That way you are regening mana with last hits and if they come close to the minion line, use your q to jump to them, then hammer them away with e. IMMEDIATELY after that switch to ranged stance and blast them with w/3 autos. If you are flush with mana also accelrate a q in ranged stance into them. Basically if you are doing this and unless they have super high sustain, they should be whittled down quickly. At this point, just zone them or if they get close, combo and ignite them for a kill.

Against a ranged champ, you want to do the opposite, stay in ranged stance, harass with w when able and then if they are foolish and get close switch to hammer and pummel them. Though that is more unlikely.

In all these situations you are dictating the terms of the engagement and poking the other person much more than they are poking you.

Jayce is a solid counter to most top lane choices. If your opponent has no natural sustain, combo twice and proceed to zone to your hearts content. If they have sustain, like vladamir, continually poke them in ranged stance as they approach the minion line. In this sense you are like the ocean, constantly wearing them down.

I almost always max R>>>E>>>W>>>Q.

For build order, go double dorans, into a bloodthirster or maw of malmortious depending on whether they are an AP or AD top. Second item is either a LW or Frozen Malllet depending. Round our your kit with an atmas. Buy lots of wards. Blow people up.

If you need to be tanky and dive the opposing carry (which I think is a suboptimal role on jayce), double dorans, into triforce, into frozen heart, if you need MR get a banshees or maw of malmortius as your third item.

Favorable matchups for Jayce --> Vladamir, Olaf, Irelia, j4, Teemo, Shen (your hammer will cancel his ultimate). Renekton, Kennen, Jax, GP, Rengar, Xin Zhao.
    Unfavorable Matchups for Jayce --> Riven, Akali (possibly still undecided), Chogath, Rumble, Lee Sin, Yorick.

You will destroy darius top if you can avoid/bait his pulls. I have not played against a good warwick top as jayce so I have no idea where he falls, though I would imagine jayce would win that lane.

Good luck fighting for a brighter tomorrow!

W over Q?

Also, I'd say maybe a couple Dorans, then IEdge, then maybe LW or BT

Q is really mana hungry and W does more damage with the combo. 130% of your autoattack at max attack speed is pretty savage when you are building damage.

The thing about Jayce's W is this; the hammer form isn't particularly useful (primarily because it has an AP ratio), and even though the cannon form's 130% AD is awesome, you've really spent 4 ability points just to double its damage. Compare that to levelling Q, where the hammer form multiplies its damage by ten when going from level 1 to level 5, and the cannon form multiplies its damage by five - and both of them only increase in mana cost by 20.

R > E > Q > W versus a tanky lane and R > Q > E > W for an opponent you need to keep away from is the way I'd suggest.

Leveling w doubles the scaling damage which scales on Damage and Critical Strike and Critical Strike damage. Leveling q increases its base damage

Fair point, but I'm pretty sure that up until about 180 bonus AD levelling Jayce's Q before W (arguably) gives you greater overall damage.

Thinking about it, the bonuses for levelling up his ult aren't great, so choosing to max all his normal abilities by level 15 is a pretty good way to throw out more damage earlier.

So, a question. On Triforce Ez, what is the suggested item after Tri? I usually get a vamp scept -> BT, But I'm tempted to get a Gunblade.

AhiMahi wrote: »

Haha, no, but it helps to play only roles that have high damage output. I only play AD carry and sometimes mid, so I always bring the dps and have a relatively good chance to get lots of kills.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Or you could play Gragas. And get a quadrakill with one barrel.

boy was my team's face red after that.

with our own blood. and his brew.

MechMantis wrote: »
    Or you could play Gragas. And get a quadrakill with one barrel.

boy was my team's face red after that.

with our own blood. and his brew.

Drunk on power, success, and booze.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Sampsen wrote: »
    I don't think PG pentas should be included, it's just too easy.

Yeah I mean it's partly this (mostly it is much more difficult to escape on PG than it is in SR, no jungle to juke through) but mostly it's sample size - think how many more full teamfights there are in a PG than a SR. It's probably an order of magnitude difference.

I've only had one penta in 700 or so games on SR and it was with Ashe a couple months ago. I was too excited to screenshot it at the time and didn't find the screenshot of my multi-kill count on the summary page all that compelling.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hmm. 3150 IP. What to get, what to get.

Been thinking about Kat.

Sampsen wrote: »
    AhiMahi wrote: »

Haha, no, but it helps to play only roles that have high damage output. I only play AD carry and sometimes mid, so I always bring the dps and have a relatively good chance to get lots of kills.

That said, you can sometimes just snipe the kills with a bunch of bullshit luck, like my Kennen penta.

That game was hilarious. I fed the shit out of Tryndamere running a full MR page, picked up a three kills as I run around the map, and then somehow go from 3/6/1 to getting a penta, then later another quadra out of fucking nowhere. I ended up 11/6/3, and no one could tell how horrible my start was.

Echo wrote: »
    Hmm. 3150 IP. What to get, what to get.

Been thinking about Kat.

Do it. For all the lovely stabby noises. SHINK!

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

First, Jayce is more of a poke champ than a burst you down and murder you champ. So to that end, as a top lane champ (which is where he belongs) you should be constantly poking and harassing past level 3 (or else where you wont eat lots of minion harass in return).

As such, against melee champions, you want to default to stay in hammer stance. That way you are regening mana with last hits and if they come close to the minion line, use your q to jump to them, then hammer them away with e. IMMEDIATELY after that switch to ranged stance and blast them with w/3 autos. If you are flush with mana also accelrate a q in ranged stance into them. Basically if you are doing this and unless they have super high sustain, they should be whittled down quickly. At this point, just zone them or if they get close, combo and ignite them for a kill.

Against a ranged champ, you want to do the opposite, stay in ranged stance, harass with w when able and then if they are foolish and get close switch to hammer and pummel them. Though that is more unlikely.

In all these situations you are dictating the terms of the engagement and poking the other person much more than they are poking you.

Jayce is a solid counter to most top lane choices. If your opponent has no natural sustain, combo twice and proceed to zone to your hearts content. If they have sustain, like vladamir, continually poke them in ranged stance as they approach the minion line. In this sense you are like the ocean, constantly wearing them down.

For build order, go double dorans, into a bloodthirster or maw of malmortious depending on whether they are an AP or AD top. Second item is either a LW or Frozen Malllet depending. Round our your kit with an atmas. Buy lots of wards. Blow people up.

If you need to be tanky and dive the opposing carry (which I think is a suboptimal role on jayce), double dorans, into triforce, into frozen heart, if you need MR get a banshees or maw of malmortius as your third item.

Favorable matchups for Jayce --> Vladamir, Olaf, Irelia, j4, Teemo, Shen (your hammer will cancel his ultimate). Renekton, Kennen, Jax, GP, Rengar, Xin Zhao.
    Unfavorable Matchups for Jayce --> Riven, Akali (possibly still undecided), Chogath, Rumble, Lee Sin, Yorick.

You will destroy darius top if you can avoid/bait his pulls. I have not played against a good warwick top as jayce so I have no idea where he falls, though I would imagine jayce would win that lane.

W over Q?

Q is really mana hungry and W does more damage with the combo. 130% of your autoattack at max attack speed is pretty savage when you are building damage.

The thing about Jayce's W is this; the hammer form isn't particularly useful (primarily because it has an AP ratio), and even though the cannon form's 130% AD is awesome, you've really spent 4 ability points just to double its damage. Compare that to levelling Q, where the hammer form multiplies its damage by ten when going from level 1 to level 5, and the cannon form multiplies its damage by five - and both of them only increase in mana cost by 20.

R > E > Q > W versus a tanky lane and R > Q > E > W for an opponent you need to keep away from is the way I'd suggest.

Leveling w doubles the scaling damage which scales on Damage and Critical Strike and Critical Strike damage. Leveling q increases its base damage

Fair point, but I'm pretty sure that up until about 180 bonus AD levelling Jayce's Q before W (arguably) gives you greater overall damage.

Thinking about it, the bonuses for levelling up his ult aren't great, so choosing to max all his normal abilities by level 15 is a pretty good way to throw out more damage earlier.

With 2 dorans, and IE you get 382 extra damage by leveling up q. [Accelerated damage, AoE]

You get 490 expected damage by leveling up w. And you get it about twice as often whereas you do not get extra q's because the amount of accelerated q's you get is limited by your e cooldown.

wbBv3fj.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

W over Q?

With 2 dorans, and IE you get 382 extra damage by leveling up q. [Accelerated damage, AoE]

You get 490 expected damage by leveling up w. And you get it about twice as often whereas you do not get extra q's because the amount of accelerated q's you get is limited by your e cooldown.

Should the range and AoE nature of Q factor into this comparison, or are we assuming you've maxed both by the time teamfights start?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    I usually don't lose my temper at this game, but god damn it it makes me angry when you lose a game you were winning (by kills and towers) because someone leaves, and then the enemy says gg noobs and tells me not to scapegoat him because we were losing and were going to lose anyway.

Actually, anybody who says gg noobs at all should be permabanned.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    So, a question. On Triforce Ez, what is the suggested item after Tri? I usually get a vamp scept -> BT, But I'm tempted to get a Gunblade.

Hyrbid ez is fun and if that's what you're going for then get gunblade but if you're the AD carry get BT

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2012

W over Q?

You also get more damage on his hammer Q, which is an extra 180 damage on a core part of his combo, while the hammer mode W is ignorable because in practical terms you're never going to be using it.

Burnage on
    This conversation is too serious. Let me tell you all about how I'm going to play support Syndra.

It's going to be like a pizza delivery service, except instead of pizza it involves red buff

This conversation is too serious. Let me tell you all about how I'm going to play support Syndra.

It's going to be like a pizza delivery service, except instead of pizza it involves red buff

hahaha... let me know how that works. I'll stick to building AP bruiser and blowing people up with the ultimate stun shotgun combo.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Should the range and AoE nature of Q factor into this comparison, or are we assuming you've maxed both by the time teamfights start?

I was just comparing damage[level 9 assumed]. I am not sure which one you should max first. I suppose it depends on what is better in a team fight.

If you're able to effectively get AA harass in lane though, the w is probably the better bet, simply because leveling w means more mana and because his cannon form w is so cheap not only does it mean you get stronger w harass but it also means you can use your other abilities more often because you're getting another 8 MP/attack [or about 20 MP5 if you're consistently attacking]

The E,Q combo costs 85 to 105 mana. W costs 40.

wbBv3fj.png
    Dragging the buffs seemed really hard to me, they always got caught on the walls because of the stupid tether.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Cass, watching that 1k elo game was....enlightening.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I just had to play against Yorick, Vlad, and Shaco on TT. At least we won (although mostly because Yorick kept disconnecting), but jesus I was about to lose control. Yorick should not be able to push Mordekaiser out of lane :<

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Zap.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

I was just comparing damage[level 9 assumed]. I am not sure which one you should max first. I suppose it depends on what is better in a team fight.

If you're able to effectively get AA harass in lane though, the w is probably the better bet, simply because leveling w means more mana and because his cannon form w is so cheap not only does it mean you get stronger w harass but it also means you can use your other abilities more often because you're getting another 8 MP/attack [or about 20 MP5 if you're consistently attacking]

The E,Q combo costs 85 to 105 mana. W costs 40.

Yeah thats why I recommend w. For my guide, I suggest poking. Accelerated Qs push the lane was well, but w is pretty brutal for just straight up trades.

steam_sig.png
    Coinage wrote: »
    I just had to play against Yorick, Vlad, and Shaco on TT. At least we won (although mostly because Yorick kept disconnecting), but jesus I was about to lose control. Yorick should not be able to push Mordekaiser out of lane :<

Morde doesn't have shit on Yorick unless he can get a lot of jungle assistance; even then, you're only going to be able to farm without getting sent back a thousand times. I don't know what you'd do in TT.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    delete yorick

liEt3nH.png
    Yorick is Cuntmaster Supreme. That's why I love playing him so much.

edited September 2012
    New splashes!
    Gragas, PARTY
    mzO0t.jpg
    Syndra, AWESOME
    bEei5.jpg
    Lux, I̗͈̙̟̟͗̋ͭ͗̃ ̡̡͎̏ͮ͝W̖̼͎̼͙̖̆̽ͥ̎Ǐ̳̅̅̿ͫ̕͢͞Ļ̰̣̌͌͗̔̐͐̒͘L̥̼̬̠͓̥͈̬̐ͨͤ̾̉̿ ͔̘̲̏̽Ç͙̫̖̽̂̌̄̈̎̊͠O̖̦̊̃ͪ͑͘Ṋ̫̇̈́̀̄͊ͩ̓̓S̹̪̘̞͉̖̦̒̍̃ͣ̆̉̚͘U͙̻̱ͮ͑̓ͫM̶ͣ̽͑̑́ͧ̏̿҉̲̩͖͓̼̞̗͞E̸̻͍̤̦̲͆ͪ̐͗̾͊̏ͩ̚͜͜ ̣̄̈́̊̈͆ͥY̴̟̥̻ͪ̊̌̉̄Ơ̴̞͚̗̍ͮ͌̈͛̀Ů̴̝̞̹̿ͨ̐̈ͦ̚R̡͚̞͚̭͍̬̪̥̔̄ ͉͈̳̺̪̬̗̔͋́͆ͬ̓̅ͧ͊S̵̲͋ͮ͢͝O̧̩͎͕̮̼̦ͫ̊͟ͅỤ͍̪͛̌͡L̡͖̦͓̘̺̱͉̈́́̈͗͆́͡͞
    XUWN3.jpg
    WHY Okay, she needs to have a broken spine so she can thrust her tits at me, but why are her neck and arm dislocated too?
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

Morde doesn't have shit on Yorick unless he can get a lot of jungle assistance; even then, you're only going to be able to farm without getting sent back a thousand times. I don't know what you'd do in TT.
    When I started I thought I would be able to just push and push and shield his ghoul spam, but as you said NOPE. At one point I was 3 levels behind him and I started screaming in all chat, but I was able to catch up with ganks while he was disconnected.
    delete yorick
    Absolutely. I remember a red somewhere saying that he's only the way he is because they were short on time making him, and it's IMO inexcusable that they've let him stay this way so long. I guess they were trying to make something like one of the beefier pet champions in Dota and then realized their engine was horribly inadequate for pet control and gave up.

Coinage on
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular

I usually get a last whisper and then BT. With trinity a couple of doran's blades and LW you're well over 200 AD, and at that point enemy probably has significant armor too

The face on that lux splash is awful

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The face on that lux splash is awful

Face? Oh, huh, I guess she does have a face. I didn't notice.

This discussion has been closed.