As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    im downloading the trial now. I'm into WoW, but I figure rather than just assume everything else sucks and stick with wow, I should challenge it and make sure I'm having as much fun as I can.

edit - this is getting insane. I've read a fucking page of this thread and I can definitely see myself becoming either a convert or a two mmo man. shiiiit. I just hope it doesn't overwhelm me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not entirely familiar with the process myself, having never used them but basically they are a beacon for large capital ships with jump drives.

You need a pilot capable of deploying a cyno who will fly to your desired destination galaxy, usually in a CovOps ship I presume. They can then deploy a cyno, much like one would deploy a warp bubble. Now the pilot of the capital ship can jump directly to the location of that cyno instead of having to manually jump through all the gates. This means it's a lot safer, as the covops can avoid the gate camps and the capital ship with it's precious cargo can safely jump directly to it's desitnation. Of course, many people find the concept of having to wait for a cyno pilot to fly somewhere tedious, so they set up cyno alts and have them pre-positioned in certain galaxies that ehy jump too and from, so they an just drop the cyno themselves instead. You will often see cynos placed at the undock point of stations. Presumably this is both because it's quickest to undock, drop cyno, switch back to main carrier pilot alt and also so that the carrier pilot can dock immediately after jumping, saving them tedious slow-boating and also avoiding getting ganked if there are hostiles in system.

How the ranges work and how you allocate a cyno to a specific pilot etc. I don't know. I do know that capital ship jump drives need a lot of fuel though.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Cynos work by having a gang with at least 1 capital ship and a cyno guy, or cyno generator pos modules. Cyno guy pops cyno, which immobilizes you for 10 minutes, unless you're in a force recon in which case it'd be 5 minutes. Capital ships right click gang member, hit jump to. Range is determined by ship class and skill level, fuel consumption is determined by skill and distance. Base ranges can be seen by doing a show info on the ships in game via the market browser, but Dreadnaughts have a 5 light year range base, carriers have more, and motherships/titans have less.

If you're jumping to the pos modules you right click yourself, highlight jump to and a destination, the module consumes no fuel except for increased load on the POS, but it quickly leads to savings via less ozone being consumed by people firing cynos in ships.

deadtear on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can contribute something!

If you're new and need money, pick up salvaging as soon as you can. Pretty low barrier to entry in terms of training time, and it's made me a lot of money so far.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I can contribute something!

If you're new and need money, pick up salvaging as soon as you can. Pretty low barrier to entry in terms of training time, and it's made me a lot of money so far.

Agreed. It's a very good moneymaker. Makes ratting and missions much more profitable.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    im downloading the trial now. I'm into WoW, but I figure rather than just assume everything else sucks and stick with wow, I should challenge it and make sure I'm having as much fun as I can.

edit - this is getting insane. I've read a fucking page of this thread and I can definitely see myself becoming either a convert or a two mmo man. shiiiit. I just hope it doesn't overwhelm me.

What's your Eve char's name?

Zenitram on
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SabinXL wrote: »
    Yeah... I totally learned that lesson the hard way :| - but some other new guy did the same thing last night too so I feel better :D

That new guy may, or may not, have been me replying to Rhonyn Peacemaker about Eve forum access. How long does it usually take to get forum access?

Also, are there set times/days/places when/where the Corp sets up mining operations? Is it stockpiled, or We need X now, let's go mining!?

From my experience stuff usually happens in the evenings - Most people are often willing to help you clear rats out of a certain belt and haul for you when you're new. Last night I got invited to a gang to improve my mining efficiency which was nice.

If you're asking for forum access make sure you send a personal message to Rhonyn, as the corp-wide one was deleted and he probably didn't see it. I sent mine last night and I still don't have access, so it'll take a little while depending on when he logs on, I suppose. If you want a mining buddy I'd be happy to join ya though, since It's usually just me on my own in some belt the corp cleared for me :)

My current character's Ray Brok, although now that I realize I can skill up another faction's ship pretty easily I'm going to reroll from a Caldari to a Minmatar and work on piloting Gallante ships - Min ships are ugly as hell.

That new guy was me.... (Im really sorry about that D:) I realized the mistake and sent the mail the correct way. On a side note, I would like to thank everyone with their help yesterday. All my noob questions were answered and I am really starting to get a grasp of how the game works (I have 3 ships already :P).

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnnyonoesjohnnyonoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hi Folks,

Something else I learned on my first day is that when you recieve an email from someone, only single click the person's name to receive your email. Double-clicking the person's name can make it so that you request a conversation with the sender, which can lead to some interesting coversations.

"What do you want?"
    "I dunno what do you want?"

Salvaging as well is huge for us noobies. I did a regular mission with a payout at around 100k, but from the salvage I was able to make 2m. Also helps to have a tractor beam with ya to pull in a wreck while you are salvaging, which can take some time.

Thanks guys for this guide, this is such a huge game.

johnnyonoes on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it srsly r >.<

im working towards cruisers, i was thinking of fitting an Osprey to use as a light hauler / salvager / miner, but im not sure about the loadout... 2 salvagers & 2 mining lasers = no tractor beans ;p

also, im not sure which ship to use for missions/ratting once i can use cruisers decently, but i think id like a salvager on thar as well. is caracal a good choice?

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2007
    Hi Folks,

Something else I learned on my first day is that when you recieve an email from someone, only single click the person's name to receive your email. Double-clicking the person's name can make it so that you request a conversation with the sender, which can lead to some interesting coversations.

"What do you want?"

Salvaging as well is huge for us noobies. I did a regular mission with a payout at around 100k, but from the salvage I was able to make 2m. Also helps to have a tractor beam with ya to pull in a wreck while you are salvaging, which can take some time.

I tend to run my missions in a ship much larger than required, so often I just sit there and let everything in the mission circle me, as my drones lay them to waste. Makes it a lot easier when I come back in my salvager because everything is in one big cloud.

MuddBudd on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not entirely familiar with the process myself, having never used them but basically they are a beacon for large capital ships with jump drives.

You need a pilot capable of deploying a cyno who will fly to your desired destination galaxy, usually in a CovOps ship I presume. They can then deploy a cyno, much like one would deploy a warp bubble. Now the pilot of the capital ship can jump directly to the location of that cyno instead of having to manually jump through all the gates. This means it's a lot safer, as the covops can avoid the gate camps and the capital ship with it's precious cargo can safely jump directly to it's desitnation. Of course, many people find the concept of having to wait for a cyno pilot to fly somewhere tedious, so they set up cyno alts and have them pre-positioned in certain galaxies that ehy jump too and from, so they an just drop the cyno themselves instead. You will often see cynos placed at the undock point of stations. Presumably this is both because it's quickest to undock, drop cyno, switch back to main carrier pilot alt and also so that the carrier pilot can dock immediately after jumping, saving them tedious slow-boating and also avoiding getting ganked if there are hostiles in system.

How the ranges work and how you allocate a cyno to a specific pilot etc. I don't know. I do know that capital ship jump drives need a lot of fuel though.

Just one thing you are incorrect on, Cap ships (aside from freighters) can not use warp gates. They have to be "cyno'd" in.

smokmnky on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just installed the trial as well. This game overwhelmed me immensely last time, but I'm really damned determined to not let it get the better of me this time :)

Aoi on
    edited July 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    Just installed the trial as well. This game overwhelmed me immensely last time, but I'm really damned determined to not let it get the better of me this time :)

It tends to do that. I started and stopped playing three times before I got the hang of it.

MuddBudd on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Getting as far as I have in two weeks has convinced me that you sort of have to let it come to you.

The first thing I did was try to learn as much as possible about the game, which is what I usually do with games. This destroyed my mind to the point of me being nearly unable to choose a skill to train; total choice paralysis.

When I just started doing some missions / ratting with the goal of getting to cruisers (eventually battlecruisers; only a couple more days!), and figuring out skill progression via reading the market while warping between missions, things started falling into place.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jeeez, I just downloaded the trial a few hours ago, and see this as prime WoW kicking material. Mainly since WoW needs constant attention and twitch play...this seems more like SimCity on steroids...and that's a totally awesome thing.

I'm on my way to Mista to apply for the PA Corp. This is a very pretty, and incredibly in depth, game.

I love the "one big world" feel to it, and the realistic scaling is phenomenal.

Anyway, as I start earning money should I be outfitting my ship or myself first?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • PmoneyPmoney Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You can't fly without the skills. Maybe you should try to decide what you want your main source of income to be, then load up EVEMon. You do have EVEMon...right? Then make a plan including the ship you want to use, and the equipment/skills that compliment it.

Want to rat? Pick a nice racial cruiser, some of the more important support skills, and train away.
    Want to mine? Train to your races cruiser with a mining bonus, as well as all the mining support skills.
    EVEMon will suggest what learning skills you should learn to minimize the training time.

You should probably learn cruisers, as you will allmost definitly need them to make money.

Pmoney on
    Steam : Pmoney
    360 : ThePmoney
    Battle.net: Pmoney.thereal
  • SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hi Folks,

"What do you want?"

Yeah, I haven't been on too much lately but when I do I tend to do missions for cash, which is nothing compared to salvaging apparently. I was gonna go the mining route but since I can't train industrials until the end of the trial period I'm gonna go salvaging for a while and see how it works out. I should have all of the skills for it tonight, so I'm excited to try it out.

SabinXL on
    edited July 2007
    What all is actually limited with the trial?

Aoi on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    What all is actually limited with the trial?

Mostly just which ships you can train to fly. But the ones that you are denied access to you probably wouldn't normally have time to train to and fly effectively anyway. Besides that, the whole universe is open to you.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited July 2007
    if i had money i couldnt give it away :)

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2007
    Oh yeah, that too.

Can trials use contracts either? Because that would be a pretty obvious way of transferring money so I'd guess not. They can buy and sell on the market just fine though.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited July 2007
    Hi Folks,

"What do you want?"

Yeah, I haven't been on too much lately but when I do I tend to do missions for cash, which is nothing compared to salvaging apparently. I was gonna go the mining route but since I can't train industrials until the end of the trial period I'm gonna go salvaging for a while and see how it works out. I should have all of the skills for it tonight, so I'm excited to try it out.

Can you give me a link for what skills/equipment/etc are needed for salvaging?

jonxp on
    edited July 2007
    i think you need a Salvager (turret slot), Survey 1 (Electronics Skill) and Salvaging 1 (Mechanical skill).

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2007
    You need survey 3, not 1.

Pmoney on
    edited July 2007
    Ah hah! I figured out how to use Evemon for this stuff. Cool. Thanks for the help.

How long does the corp application process usually take?

jonxp on
    edited July 2007
    Depends on how good of a spy you are...

Pmoney on
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some of the training books for skills you want early on are expensive. i.e. Logic = 4.5million, or Salvaging = 500k. Save up!

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
    edited July 2007
    re: agents & missions~

im in Hoshoun now (though i cant solo there so i may be drifting around till im in a cruiser) and i cant get an agent to give me any love ;p Mista was no better. do i need to follow a set chain of agents/missions - the one i left like 15 jumps away - or is there a way to get people to tell me locally "go kill rats in this system" so i can get extra payment while doing it? ^^

fadingathedges on
  • SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    re: agents & missions~

im in Hoshoun now (though i cant solo there so i may be drifting around till im in a cruiser) and i cant get an agent to give me any love ;p Mista was no better. do i need to follow a set chain of agents/missions - the one i left like 15 jumps away - or is there a way to get people to tell me locally "go kill rats in this system" so i can get extra payment while doing it? ^^

You have to hit F10 to bring up the map button. Then, under services (I think) you can sort systems out by agents that will give you missions- they'll appear as green dots on the map. If you want to take it a step further by looking for a particular corporation to do missions for, you can go to people & places, put in the name for the corporation into the search function (select corporation in the pull down window next to the search box) and right click on the name to get extended info. All of the agents the corporation has will be viewable to you, and they should be able to tell you which will give you missions and which won't.

SabinXL on
    edited July 2007
    Train up connections as well. It improves your standings so makes it more likely you'll find an agent willing to give you a mission.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited July 2007
    How often do the servers go down? They're down now, and reading in their forums it seems this is quite a common occurrence.

jonxp on
    edited July 2007
    jonxp wrote: »
    How often do the servers go down? They're down now, and reading in their forums it seems this is quite a common occurrence.

There is a daily maintenance time from about 4-5am (PST), but there was just a big patch, so things are a bit unstable at the moment.

MuddBudd on
  • Lie BotLie Bot __BANNED USERS new member
    edited July 2007
    Just asking on the off chance--

does EVE actually refuse to load if the video card doesn't support hardware T&L, or will it still be possible to run the game bare-bones? All I have is my laptop at the moment, but I want to get back into EVE and that means setting skill training-- it'd be nice if I could get training in before I got back on my PC, but it's a seeming long shot. :P

Lie Bot on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why hello there.

I am interested in your game of spaceships and pewpewing laser beams.

I've played free trials of it before, and found myself rather bored and having nothing to do.

However, a few of my friends are really pushing hard for me to start playing so I can join their corp, and of course there is also the PA corp, so it looks like were I to get into it, I wouldn't be lacking for people to play with or things to do.

I'm intrigued about this Exploration system, as it was not in the game the last time I tried a free trial. Is it possible to make it your primary activity (much in the way other people make PvP or mining or trading their primary habit)? Is there any "lore" contained in these sites you find exploring?

Basically, I'm asking how deep the Exploration system is and if there's good guides on it.

Pony on
    edited July 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    Why hello there.

I am interested in your game of spaceships and pewpewing laser beams.

I've played free trials of it before, and found myself rather bored and having nothing to do.

However, a few of my friends are really pushing hard for me to start playing so I can join their corp, and of course there is also the PA corp, so it looks like were I to get into it, I wouldn't be lacking for people to play with or things to do.

I'm intrigued about this Exploration system, as it was not in the game the last time I tried a free trial. Is it possible to make it your primary activity (much in the way other people make PvP or mining or trading their primary habit)? Is there any "lore" contained in these sites you find exploring?

Basically, I'm asking how deep the Exploration system is and if there's good guides on it.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=2276100#post2276100

That's basically how it works. You can be up and scanning for anything in about a week, but it will take much longer to get the skills to properly access some sites. If you have corp members who can help, you can probably work out a good deal to split the loot. Some involve combat as well, of course.

I don't have everything trained myself but exploration in low sec could probably be pretty profitable.

MuddBudd on
    edited July 2007
    while i definitely like the idea of exploration.... christ is taht as tedious as it sounds? ;p and when your probes are a-probin' for 10m, you cant move? like, you cant poop out some probes and go 'rat in the asteroid belts in the area or mine or something, then check your probe reports once you're out of combat?

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2007
    Okay, so I hit part 5 out of the "Mountain out of a Molehill" newb quest which needs you to "invent" (I think that was the term it used, I was falling asleep in my chair this morning) with the Perpetual Motion Machine I blueprint that you received from your agent with the last quest. The problem is, the agent makes it sound like the station you're in has the facilities for this task, and it didn't. It was only capable of being used for manufacturing. So I hopped in my ship, and tried every station for 6 sectors, all of which were capable of doing manufacturing only. I'm sure it's a totally dumb newb thing, buuut I'm wondering if there's an easier way to figure out what sectors have stations that will let you do different things like that, and if I was just being a retard and completely missed something when trying to work with the blueprint.

Aoi on
    edited July 2007
    i think you want to hit F10 to open up your map, do a Search and look at the options... might be under Services.
    i just used the Map Search last night for the first time to find a nearby agent who would give me work, its pretty good. You check the box next to what you want to find and tiny green pips appear where the thing is.

i might hazard a guess though... if you've gone through all the starbases in 6 systems and not found the facilities you need, you may be missing something else or overlooking something, thats alot of starbases to not have something that - as part of a noob quest - should be pretty basic / available. i didnt do those missions though, so i could be way wrong.

fadingathedges on
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, so I hit part 5 out of the "Mountain out of a Molehill" newb quest which needs you to "invent" (I think that was the term it used, I was falling asleep in my chair this morning) with the Perpetual Motion Machine I blueprint that you received from your agent with the last quest. The problem is, the agent makes it sound like the station you're in has the facilities for this task, and it didn't. It was only capable of being used for manufacturing. So I hopped in my ship, and tried every station for 6 sectors, all of which were capable of doing manufacturing only. I'm sure it's a totally dumb newb thing, buuut I'm wondering if there's an easier way to figure out what sectors have stations that will let you do different things like that, and if I was just being a retard and completely missed something when trying to work with the blueprint.

I had that same problem. However, I forget exactly what I did. I think there is a way in the Manufacturing Interface when you go to make it, you can have it search for facilities that are capable of doing that particular blueprint. You can set whichever one has the fewest jumps as your destination, and just run there, do it, and run back. Also, I had to then create it, and the BP says something about Villard Wheels, but I didn't need any to make it, just some Tritanium I had mined earlier.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
    edited July 2007
    while i definitely like the idea of exploration.... christ is taht as tedious as it sounds? ;p and when your probes are a-probin' for 10m, you cant move? like, you cant poop out some probes and go 'rat in the asteroid belts in the area or mine or something, then check your probe reports once you're out of combat?

You can't warp while scanning, I believe. But honestly you aren't going to be ratting in a probe ship.

Remember, if you have the skills and you find an encounter, you can come back and blow it all to hell.

MuddBudd on
    edited July 2007
    still seems like alot of effort vs ratting/mining/salvaging for money ;p

fadingathedges on