As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Apparently there's some kind of "Thing" going on in Atlas Park on Virtue tonight at 5pm Eastern. There are Devs in the crowd giving out "Paragon Backer" titles right now in AP1. Not that you can get there, as AP1-5 are full.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    And I just got mapserved for the first time in years. And I'm not even in AP

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    forrest40pfforrest40pf Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    We've started a new Youtube series centered around the shutdown of CoH, sharing our thoughts and showcasing the features of this wonderful MMO! Check it out at [removed]

Sterica on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    And I just got mapserved for the first time in years. And I'm not even in AP

I got the mapserve pretty frequently when my PC would get stuck on loading, but I'm glad it was dynamic and you generally just had to wait a second without an actual re-login (for the most part).

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Apparently they were up to at least Atlas Park 31 during the event. Then Zwill showed up and changed everyone's costume to Statesman, then Recluse for a while there.

• Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    WTF back from a vacation without any internet accesss and the first thing I read was this thread title. o_O

Very sad

Sterica on
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Yea the one thing that kind of annoyed me was that they did a pretty shitty job of advertising it. Even with 31 instances of Atlas Park full that was only at its height, and it started to dip down only 15 minutes after the fact.
    However, it led to some incredible shit.
    From when there was only 15 APs. Apparnetly there's a thing where if you demo-record a zone, you can later take the costume info of all the characters in that zone and C&P into another zone. So this is essentially a composite of everyone on at the time
    v3WdM.jpg

Eventually, The Goons and I started showing up
    uVKgP.jpg
    "Op-A GUNDAM STYLE!"

Hehu6.jpg
    "CoH in A Screenshot"

Eventually, The Goons got bored of just standing there holding torches waiting for the LiveStream to get into AP31. Which is never a good sign
    kWud1.jpg

Then, towards the end, we decided to try and break the game one last time.
    1bEzq.jpg

But the real best part came well after the protest was over. Remember how I said you could use demo-record to capture all of the costume info for any characters in that zone? Well someone went through all 30+ instances annnd...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQPJw5qAajs&feature=player_embedded

WeX Majors on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    That is fantastic.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    That pic with everyone is awesome. Looks like it came straight from the initial announcement video.

All that's missing is some jerk in a patriotic outfit giving a boring speech.

(In my AMV, the idea I had is that States is telling all the heroes about his battle against Recluse again, so when the bombs blow up everyone all "Thank God. We can leave now.")

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    AHahaha, guess who you can totally make in Heroes if you're as obsessed with I am over the show?
    My new Dual Pistols/Poison Corruptor
    hKycM.jpg

WeX Majors on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well done, WeX. :^:

That video with all the heroes is... goddamn. Did any event happen on the Villain side?

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Something a former developer (pohsyb, worked on CoH from pre-launch to F2P) wanted to get into the game before he quit:
    The feature I was trying to push before I left (which is 100% technically feasible) was Teamless teaming. The basic idea is, we have all of your character data, so we can easily create an NPC that looks like you and has your powers (this is actually in the Mission Architect as a clone). Imagine if you are friends with Catass McGee. Catass wants to play way more than you, but he likes having you around. Catass invites you to team with him when you are not around. You get the invite in a text or email or can set yourself to auto-accept (They really wanted to make a CoH app at the time, but couldn't think of anything useful for it to do). If you accept, the game beams down an NPC that is a clone of you to follow Catass around like a pet. While you are offline you can check the status of your proxy, see what rewards you got etc. Its a win for everyone, Catass gets help and you get effortless rewards.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Finally, I can get Chinese children to powerlevel me and I don't even need to hand out my account info!

• Options
    edited September 2012
    The thing I will miss most about CoX is how easy it made it to play the game. The queue working inside missions, global channels, the (sadly unused) looking for team flags, teleport powers, the obscenely fantastic chat functions, all that stuff just made it so awesomely easy to round people up and go punch things. And now I'm finding out that there were devs looking at making it even easier!

I've tried a few other MMOs but none of them cared nearly as much about letting people just hop in and play the game as this one did, and it's been a deal breaker in almost every other MMO I've tried.

I'm reasonably sure this will be the last MMO I ever play, mostly because of all those things.

Narbus on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Something a former developer (pohsyb, worked on CoH from pre-launch to F2P) wanted to get into the game before he quit:
    The feature I was trying to push before I left (which is 100% technically feasible) was Teamless teaming. The basic idea is, we have all of your character data, so we can easily create an NPC that looks like you and has your powers (this is actually in the Mission Architect as a clone). Imagine if you are friends with Catass McGee. Catass wants to play way more than you, but he likes having you around. Catass invites you to team with him when you are not around. You get the invite in a text or email or can set yourself to auto-accept (They really wanted to make a CoH app at the time, but couldn't think of anything useful for it to do). If you accept, the game beams down an NPC that is a clone of you to follow Catass around like a pet. While you are offline you can check the status of your proxy, see what rewards you got etc. Its a win for everyone, Catass gets help and you get effortless rewards.

Wow...I can only imagine how many people would create second accounts just for this feature.

• Options
    Accualt wrote: »

Wow...I can only imagine how many people would create second accounts just for this feature.

It makes me think about the "mercenary" system they just added to Dungeon Fighter Online, only it isn't team forming. You can set a level 70 character into a mercenary mission for 2 hours, 6, 24, a week, or two weeks. You can't play them in any combat parts of the game (just wander around town) but during this lockout period of the character, they're farming items and money.

I wonder if automated farming functions are going to become a thing.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    It's like being a mastermind of other players. Nice.

Also, I am super sad at the shutdown for another reason. I was hoping they'd release a veliciraptor powerset so I could make a MasterMind named Clever Girl

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    holy shit that would've been amazing.

I don't see why you couldn't use it with your own characters to create your own sidekicks.

Pony on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    They kinda had that will the leveling pact thing they did.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »

It makes me think about the "mercenary" system they just added to Dungeon Fighter Online, only it isn't team forming. You can set a level 70 character into a mercenary mission for 2 hours, 6, 24, a week, or two weeks. You can't play them in any combat parts of the game (just wander around town) but during this lockout period of the character, they're farming items and money.

I wonder if automated farming functions are going to become a thing.

Sword of the New World does this. You set up your 3 characters (you play/control a 3 man team) to just camp an area and kill any mobs that spawn and collect all the drops.

And I used those LFG tags/options! Before global chat anyway. Wasn't able to join PA till then due to my work schedule.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    oh wow

some dickhead on the official forums made a thread about "When CoH jumped the shark" and what he felt was responsible for CoH ultimately getting killed.

What was his theory?

Enhancement Diversification.

I just...

wow

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    never 4get

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    a veliciraptor powerset so I could make a MasterMind named Clever Girl

The game that allows me to control a herd of dinosaurs Mastermind style, will officially get all of my money.

• Options
    TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    a veliciraptor powerset so I could make a MasterMind named Clever Girl

The game that allows me to control a herd of dinosaurs Mastermind style, will officially get all of my money.

I imagine something like the "Gang War" power, but instead summons a hundred (or more?? Lag permitting...) of these tiny dinosaurs.

Tremblay on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    oh wow

some dickhead on the official forums made a thread about "When CoH jumped the shark" and what he felt was responsible for CoH ultimately getting killed.

What was his theory?

I just...

wow

It was the Purple Patch goddamnit!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The burn nerf! It was the burn nerf!

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    On Infinity I still have my first "serious" character, a fire/dev blaster. I played him heavily in July of 2004 until the Great Smoke Grenade Nerf, then had to man up and join a SG to play him a few more months until the SG evaporated. He's still sitting in DA (echo, now) at level 40, with 6 Damage SOs in all his attacks.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    a create-your-own-superhero single-player RPG with co-op and versus multiplayer?

i mean that game doesn't exist.

that's a huge, untapped potential!
    Freedom Force is the closest game to what you want.

I would love for another Freedom Force game to happen, but I'm not sure that part of Irrational Games exist anymore.

I'd really hope if another game like that comes along the modder/costume makers get a Nexus or something. Getting a character off the five hundred yahoo groups and shit they were spread out on was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in a PC mod community. Granted it was maybe also the first PC mod community I remember looking up.

Also tbh I'm not really a fan of the over-the-top golden age cliche type theme.
    oh wow

What was his theory?

I just...

wow

It's true, CoX died in 2005

I don't know what game you guys think you've been playing the last 7 years

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    So on my home server (Champion) there was a whole bunch of lovely threads with people coming back and extending the olive branch, collectively mourning CoH going down. We're back to bickering and drama though, wahey!

I don't know if I'm just super lazy or a huge cynic, but I'm okay with doing nothing about CoH going down. I'm not gonna buy t-shirts or sign an online petition or boycott GW2 or any of that stuff. CoH had a good run. A really good run. This is a shitty way for it to go out, but that's life.

Maybe I'm just super lazy or a huge cynic, but I'd prefer to think of it just as being in the Acceptance phase. Most of the official forum people seem decidedly stuck in Denial/Bargaining :p

Stages of Grief for an MMO, who'da thunk it?

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    Scooter wrote: »

I've been playing Pretty Princess Dress Up Hour, mostly.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I've been playing Gigantic Murder-Boners R'Us.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

I've been playing Pretty Princess Dress Up Hour, mostly.

This is why my wife started playing in the first place so I'm cool with this.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, to be perfectly honest I probably had more fun with the costume creation than the actual gameplay. My recollection of the fighting was "door missions" and "mess of lag on top of the rikti ship". The fun in the gameplay came from having a messed up team, as a solo experience (and yes, I knew people who solo'd missions, god knows why) the gameplay was repetitive. But the costume creator, weird stuff, and general fun teaming was enough to keep me happy and subbed for years, and I didn't leave in a huff either, I just got busy and then never made it back. So yeah, for me the game was pretty princess dress up and a glorified chat room to go with it. Call it stupid, but that was pretty fun actually.

Hell, if it wasn't for the costume creator in CO I doubt I could have stayed on in that game more than a couple months either, and the only reason I played it as long as I did was to use it as a chat room. (I had a lifetime so it wasn't like i had to sub to use it). The gameplay, while better than that of CoX's on it's base, was so starved for attention and work that I'd still pick CoX over it. I complain about door missions, but at least the CoX team made a real effort to improve on things, something I feel was lacking in CO from day one. It's hard to care about a game when you get the distinct impression the devs just don't give a shit. They might have done some dumb things in CoX, but I always had the impression that they were at least trying.

As for DCUO, I heard the costume creator sucked. A bunch of other negative things too, but honestly, once I heard you couldn't make a good hero/villian my interest dropped like a goddamn rock. Never even tried it after launch.

Edit: I don't really see CO or DCUO ever filling that spot that CoX did. Best we can hope for is someone from the team cobbles together enough people/resources to give it another shot someday. Or some shot out of the blue, who knows.

Astale on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    oh wow

What was his theory?

I just...

wow

There was another post in the "Farewell Paragon" thread that claimed the closure of CoX was due to some low-level NCSoft executives logging in and seeing that bases hadn't been fixed and that the PvP zones were empty, which so enraged these totally real NCSoft executives that they pulled the plug on the whole game.

No, seriously.

I blame the nerfs to Smoke Grenade and Caltrops for killing CoX, personally.

• Options
    I blame the furries.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I blame the furries.

It's so obvious now, not enough furries to keep CoX alive.

• Options
    Exa.... Wait...what?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Nocren wrote: »
    Exa.... Wait...what?
    Toss them in large hamster wheels, let them power the servers.

The existing furries died off from exhaustion, and so goes CoX.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    The only type of animal character I would have rolled up would have been an epxy of John Talban from Darkstalkers.

But I already had a MA/Regen scrapper.

newSig.jpg