As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FUSE] Insomniac's 4-player shooter. It is OUT and so are the reviews.

ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
FuseInsomniacGames.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYm6ERoJGAI

From wikipedia:
Fuse is an upcoming, four-player cooperative action video game developed by Insomniac Games and published by Electronic Arts for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March 2013. The game was announced as Overstrike before it was rebranded in August 2012.

The game is set in the near future and follows a team of four misfit agents collectively known as Overstrike 9, who infiltrate enemy strongholds using fringe-tech gadgets and lethal teamwork. The members of Overstrike 9 are Dalton Brooks, a reformed and sarcastic mercenary, equipped with an energy shield, Naya Deveraux, a mischievous, lifelong thief, equipped with a cloak device, Isabelle Sinclair, a gifted, but rebellious young scientist, equipped with a mass bubble gun, and Jacob Kimble, a decorated detective with a bit of a temper, equipped with an electric crossbow. The plot follows these agents as they attempt to stop a shadowy organization, which threatens to wipe out humankind. Due to each agent’s unique talents and a tendency to completely ignore protocol, Overstrike 9 is the only option left.

The Premise:
When a volatile alien energy source called Fuse falls into the wrong hands, the CIA calls in an elite contact team to retrieve it: Overstrike 9. Join up to three friends in co-op play as you deploy lethal teamwork and Fuse-powered weapons to take down the rogue paramilitary corporation behind the theft.

Lethal Teamwork:
“LEAP” between agents during battle and combine their weapons and abilities for devastating results.

Secret Alien Tech:
Whoever controls Fuse will have unlimited power at their disposal.

Experimental Weapons:
Combine the agents’ Fuse-powered weapons to trigger Fusion for greatly increased damage.

Class-based Agents:
Develop agents along deep upgrade paths and discover all the possibilities for lethal teamwork.

UPDATE: Release date.
Anxious to get your hands on Fuse, the four-player cooperative third-person shooter? Well, we now have a release date. Fuse arrives May 28th in North America and May 31st in Europe. Fuse, of course, is from developer Insomniac Games and marks the first one of its titles to ever appear on the Xbox 360. Originally called Overstrike, Fuse puts you and your friends in control of four mercs and unleashes you on a whirlwind adventure.

New images:
fuse_jacob_izzy.jpg
fuse_dalton_naya.jpg
fuse_group_03_0.jpg
fuse_group_02.jpg
fuse.jpg?2b1d99

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
Archsorcerer on

• Options
    See Insomniac's Flickr gallery: flickr.com/photos/insomniacgames/7978738883/in/photostream/

The game seems to be a mix between Borderlands and Binary Domain.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Press releasea from EA: Link.
    REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--What happens when humans take possession of volatile alien technology they were never meant to have? Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) and Insomniac Games announced Fuse™, a 4-person co-op action shooter that thrusts players into the roles of four elite, covert agents with their own unique skills and experimental weapons. Formerly known as Overstrike, Fuse allows gamers to play as Dalton Brooks, Izzy Sinclair, Jacob Kimble or Naya Deveraux as they fight to protect mankind from a deadly alien energy source known as Fuse. Fuse is the first multiplatform release from Insomniac Games, the world-class developer known for creating AAA blockbuster franchises like Ratchet & Clank and Resistance. Fuse is scheduled to launch in March 2013 in North America and Europe.

“Fuse demonstrates what Insomniac does best: outlandish and gruesome weapons design, over-the-top action and a touch of humor,” said Insomniac Games’ Founder and CEO, Ted Price. “We’re especially excited to see how players utilize lethal teamwork by combining their Fuse weapons to stop a deadly arms race.”

“EA is honored to be working with world-renowned developer, Insomniac Games, to bring their first multiplatform release to players everywhere,” said Sinjin Bain, Vice President of EA Partners. “This studio is known for delivering high-quality, action-packed, and most importantly – fun – games. Fuse is on target to deliver that and more in March.”

Fuse is a 4-person co-op, story-driven, action game where even solo players can experience the unique attributes of each agent by using the game’s LEAP feature to switch between the four characters at will during combat. Each agent is equipped with unique skills and weapons not only integral for survival, but that also allows for unexpected and extraordinary results. Experimental Fuse weapons are powered by a volatile alien substance that gives players unique capabilities that expand their strategic options in and out of combat. Through lethal teamwork, players can complete objectives and kills to earn Fuse points for powerful upgrades. Players can also play online or offline and level up along unique character paths, allowing players to unlock more powerful Fuse-driven abilities as the game progresses. In addition, the game’s progression system is unified between different play modes, allowing players to continue improving their agents regardless of how they play.

In Fuse, the members of contact team Overstrike 9 attempt to thwart a rogue paramilitary organization called Raven from stealing the Fuse source located deep within a classified government facility. Overstrike 9’s pursuit of Raven will take them around the world, from the fortified desert facility to underwater bases, island strongholds, icy mountain peaks, palatial hideouts and beyond. Later, as the team closes in on Raven, another more sinister enemy reveals itself as a truly horrendous global threat.

Created and developed by Insomniac Games, Fuse will be available in March 2013 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. For more information on Fuse, please visit www.fusegame.com, and for the latest news visit www.facebook.com/fusegame or follow on Twitter at www.twitter.com/insomniacgames. Press assets are available at www.info.ea.com.

I'll update the OP later.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So they went from a cool looking stylized spy-type game to this generic as hell co-op shooter? Lame.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I was reading some comments on GAF and they think it was EA's fault. I doubt it.

Personally, I think they went sci-fi to use some special effects like Dalton's shield and all the robots. But yeah, I loved the original concept when they announced it.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Everything is always EA's fault.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Haters.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It seems GAF will complain about anything.

gamespot.com/news/insomniac-finished-with-single-player-only-games-6396320
    Ratchet & Clank and Resistance developer Insomniac Games is through creating single-player-only games. Speaking to GameSpot from the company's Burbank, California office, CEO Ted Price said the industry has evolved to a point where multiplayer-only and social games are the new norm....

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This reminds me of Hybrid, which I didn't think was all that great.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I'm holding any further judgement until they show more of the game. I love the Ratchet and Spyro games, but Resistance was not my cup of tea, and they should have made a version of Outernauts that I could buy and play as often and for as long as I want.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Damn, there is more people here than in the Ghost Recon thread. Happy and sad.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    We got some character profiles from Joystiq: Link.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It seems GAF will complain about anything.

gamespot.com/news/insomniac-finished-with-single-player-only-games-6396320
    Ratchet & Clank and Resistance developer Insomniac Games is through creating single-player-only games. Speaking to GameSpot from the company's Burbank, California office, CEO Ted Price said the industry has evolved to a point where multiplayer-only and social games are the new norm....

Considering we have the other side of the industry complaining about MP being shoehorned into games where it does not belong, often to the detriment of the single player story, this is a pretty bad thing and a legitimate thing to complain about.

It does explain why all the Ratchet and Clank games are MP now.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    My comment on GAF was about the EA thing.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    GT.TV impressions of the demo are up: gametrailers.com/side-mission/29163/first-impressions-with-insomniacs-fuse.

Today, tonight more specific, footage will be made available.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I'll revamp the OP this weekend.

Gaf has started complaining. But think of this as a marriage between Borderlands and Syndicate's MP mode.

Dibs on Naya.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    March '13!? That's sooner than I expected.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Click on the thread thinking this would be like Syndicate proper, turns out it's like new Syndicate :(

• Options
    edited September 2012
    @Turkey I think has been like 2 and 1/2 years of game development.

@TychoCelchuuu Well, it also says "co-op shooter".

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Damn, I'm at work. GT.TVs episode is available: gametrailers.com/full-episodes/6kgfqw/gt-tv-fuse

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Well, I just had the chance to check the footage. It doesn't look that bad but I hope there is more variety.

I liked Syndicate's MP but I dislike horde modes. Stuff like R6's Terrorist Hunt is fun.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    2 girls in a team of 4?

MY GOODNESS THIS IS DANGEROUSLY PROGRESSIVE

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    And a black dude.

Still, someone is gonna complain about Dalton being a white dude with dark hair and an American accent. Or Izzy and Naya being fat-free and/or eye-candy.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I wish Insomniac kept the espionage look. Millenium should be the game's theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ5uIkJDb6o

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    OP is updated with the corrected audio trailer.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited November 2012
    New gameplay video: viddler.com/v/c2f8c224?secret=89883368

Edit: Youtube version moved to the OP.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    New videos have been coming out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKaDid1P7O4

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited November 2012
    New image from Facebook:
    308880_425283004193408_188538303_n.jpg

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It's kind of amazing how every time they release some media, it looks more and more generic.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    They just revamped the site. Some new media and a preorder option.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    They just added the bonus for the pre order: insomniacgames.com/games/fuse/#/preorder

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I don't care what you guys say. I think it looks fun. I'm all for co-op shooters.

• Options
    Insomniac revealed the cover art for the game. NeoGAF is being NeoGAF about it. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned the NTSC image covering Jacob's mouth. Only in the Xbox one.

I neither hate nor love the art, I'm just not buying it for that.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    New mode is gonna be revealed tonight. From Facebook:
    Remember that other mode we were't talking about? Well you might want to tune into G4TV's X-Play tonight at 6:30/5:30c.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    An article from Mitch Dyer: ign.com/articles/2012/12/17/insomniacs-fuse-is-different-by-design

Dalton still retains his humor. I liked the old voice a little more.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    IGN has the video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnzLTCMkmnA

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited December 2012
    New gameplay video from gamespot: uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=fuse20121218

It looks a lot more like Syndicate's MP but I can see non-controlled characters being a hassle.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    They changed the look of the game for recent videos. It is welcome.

FuseChangesColours_zpsfd094b87.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Fuse Update 2.6.13

fuse_devel2.jpg
    fuse_devel1.jpg
    “If you found some nerf darts with black tips during the move, I’m still missing some.”

A lot of these e-mails have been circulating through the company this past week. Moving Day had taken a small toll on personal belongings (nerf gun darts being the most valuable, obviously), but it was otherwise a smooth transition. We didn’t move offices or anything – we just shifted teams around to more efficiently utilize space. It’s a normal thing to do towards the twilight of a project. Truth is: Fuse is just about done. A team is staying on to make sure it’s the best game possible, but the majority of the studio has started to work on what’s next.

So, what do you work on when the game releases in a few months? Well, a lot of things really. The game is completely playable and a full experience. However, with these few months we are going to make it better. Here’s a little slice of our game plan for you to chew on:

Reduce enemy wave numbers: Sometimes, the game seemed to throw one too many enemy waves at you before you could move on. So, we’ve done a sweep and fixed some problematic areas. The result is a swifter experience that is still exciting and almost overwhelming, without bogging the players down.
    Splitting up the team: Up until now, Fuse always had all four characters stick together. No mas. We’ve added some sections where the team has to split into two separate groups. This should change up game play in those sections significantly. It’s already pretty radical to see huge sections of levels changed and adjusted, clearly for the better.
    Mini-Boss and Boss Behavior changes: In order to differentiate our big baddies more – we are giving them different attacks and more functions. This will set them apart from the rest of the crowd. New baddie who heals his brethren? Sure! Make the Leadfoots more threatening? Sounds good!

In other words: we are in the polish phase, which is actually a rarity to have time for at all in this industry. Normally, it’s a sprint right up till release, but with Fuse we have time to refine some of the trickier elements. That’s great for us, but more importantly it’s great for you. Ya know, if you like playing awesome games.

We’re at a transitional point at Insomniac, but through all the changes just know that Fuse is becoming even better every day. And, starting now we are going to open up about what you can expect when it releases. Backstories, livestreams, and blog posts, oh my!

Get ready!

P.S. – The nerf darts were fortunately found. I know some of you out there were worried.

XBL - ArchSilversmith