As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My art and hopefully future profession!

2»

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    shuma`za wrote: »
    night dragon THAT was criticism in a constructive nature and i apreciate it, thank you and i'm planning on going back to school when my wife finishes her degree as a dental hygenest. spectre and grifter are simply assholes flexing because it makes them feel cool on the internet. Like my art, don't like my art that's fine, for every negetive thing i've heared about a design i've had for sale i've gotten ten more saying that they love it, everyones entitled to have an opinion.. doesn't mean they have to be a jackass about it

How many of those people who said they love your work are actually imaginary. Is it all of them? I bet it's all of them.

And you keep talking about your art but I haven't seen you post any yet. Might want to get on that?

You HAVE ignored criticism. Every time someone told you that hey, maybe these designs are only a hair's breadth away from copyright infringement? You ignored them. Said it was art, so that falls under fair use etcetera etcetera. Except you're planning to sell these as shirts which means you're planning to make a profit off of them and that means that your work suddenly falls under a totally different set of rules.

But naaaaw, all of the professional fucking designers with a hundred times your experience and ability who have told you this several times in this thread must just be talking out of their asses and saying that for no reason at all because they're obviously too obsessed with how good they are to talk to you with the respect you deserve as one of their equals, right? Except you're not one of their equals, because they know more about this than you do and they're better at this than you do and their advice is fantastic and you're too arrogant to accept that you're not King Penis of Fuck Mountain and so you blow them off. Please note that I do not count myself among these designers. I am not yet a professional and I'm not as good as the people I'm talking about.

Again, beyond the dubious legality of your work (although to call it work is kind of an insult to every being who has ever lived and worked and who ever will live and work) the designs are uninspired garbage that won't sell. All of those supposed positive reactions you've gotten don't actually count for sales. Those people, if they're even real, may like the designs but that doesn't mean they'll shell out the dough to actually buy those designs. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, sure, but some people's opinions are significantly more informed than those of others. Case in point: Everybody in this thread has a more informed opinion about your work and the type of work you have done than you, which means that to casually, insultingly dismiss these people's opinions is to casually, insultingly dismiss really solid advice on stuff you desperately need advising on.

What are you even here for? It's not for criticism about the contents of your work, because you dismiss that instantly. It's not for criticism about your method, because you dismiss that instantly as well. Is it to learn how to use Illustrator? That's not what this forum's for. Go find some tutorials online or something.

You're very annoying, but we're all still just trying to help you. If you keep this up and refuse input from other people like this and you keep trying to turn this into your job you will be a terrible financial burden on your wife, because she will be the only person in your household to make any kind of money at all.

PS if you're going to take pot shots at me for the comic I'm doing with my friend, if this thread is indicative of your entire body of work I've put more effort into the first page of that comic than you've put into everything you've ever done and likely will do if you keep up this attitude.

Just saying.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    shuma`za wrote: »
    night dragon THAT was criticism in a constructive nature and i apreciate it, thank you and i'm planning on going back to school when my wife finishes her degree as a dental hygenest. spectre and grifter are simply assholes flexing because it makes them feel cool on the internet. Like my art, don't like my art that's fine, for every negetive thing i've heared about a design i've had for sale i've gotten ten more saying that they love it, everyones entitled to have an opinion.. doesn't mean they have to be a jackass about it

I think it's due to their frustrations with your attitude. I'm glad you liked my post, but you missed a few huge points I was trying to make by calling them assholes. And then accusing them of simply "not liking your art". This is not an "I'm enjoying your art" or "I'm not enjoying your art" situation...this is an "it doesn't matter if I like your art or don't like your art, here is what needs to change about it to make it better" and "this is what you are doing wrong" situation. That is a critique. A critique is not "Hey, I don't enjoy your art". A critique is explaining why your art needs improvement, whether or not the person telling you this likes your art or not. "Liking it" doesn't even come into play. I've critiqued art I've liked, and critiqued art I haven't liked. Seeing issues in a piece does not hinge on the amount of fondness the viewer has for it.

Likewise, the validity of one's critique does not hinge on whether or not you like them! (Or even if they've presented you the information in a kind way or not!)

Though Spectre-X has...flavorful methods of expressing himself sometimes, he and Grifter (and the rest of us!) are telling you things you should consider. Try to take a deep breath, get rid of some of that anger, and reply in a nice fashion that doesn't involve swearing at us. Rather than defending yourself about everything, try thinking about what we're saying, and improve what you're doing based on what we've said, and are still saying to you. That's great that you're planning on heading to school for this, but it's going to be a huge shock to you if you don't change your mentality about this now. If you think we're harsh, and you feel bad because you think that some of us just don't like your art, you will be in for a rude awakening when you start school and start getting this kind of feedback on a regular basis. Even moreso when situations like Wassermelone mentioned pop up - getting a job will be very difficult if you don't know how to have your boss tell you "I don't like this. Do it over, but in the way that I want"...and then, whether or not you agree, you have to do what they say. Having a boss you agree with is great! It doesn't always happen. It actually often doesn't happen, or they'd never have to give you any feedback/critique whatsoever.

School can be helpful for you, but you know what's even more helpful? Starting now with improving your work. For one, maybe create some original pieces. Secondly, ask peoples' opinions about them, and seriously consider what they're saying rather than brushing it off (for ANY reason). Everybody can have something useful to say to you, and unless you consider everything you hear, (and not just what you want to hear), you won't go anywhere with it.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    As a small side note, one day, I really hope to be King Penis of Fuck Mountain.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I only want to mention that there is no "art" in this thread, the word art is used VERY loosely, most of what we see in the forum is illustration.
    Regarding the "work" in this thread, as many others have stated, this is a place for improvement.

The best advise I can give you right now is, start a NEW design, and post here the process, just sketch some basic ideas and post them in this very same thread, let the work grow alongisde the advice given in the forum, I can guarantee you it will help you learn a lot of things.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Halen wrote: »
    As a small side note, one day, I really hope to be King Penis of Fuck Mountain.

But do you want it bad enough to buy it on a tee shirt?

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    You draw it, I'll buy it.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    this thread REALLY makes me want to vectorize someone elses photo of a sandwich

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Alright, I think this discussion has run its course. Time to move along.

This discussion has been closed.