As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Earth Defense Force 2025: Out Now!

Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
edited February 2014 in Games and Technology
The next EDF game and direct sequel to 2017. It is only appropriate that Sandlot be back at the helm. Wait a minute, they are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXhm8_jgllU&feature=player_embedded

The game takes place eight years after the first game (2025 in case you're bad at math). After kicking those aliens asses, humanity has been using Ravager technology to rebuild society. However, while they were doing that the remaining Ravager forces decide to go deep underground to rebuild their army. Now, they are at full strength again and launching another assault on Earth.

This is a Xbox 360 and PS3 joint. It will have online multiplayer though the number of players isn't known yet. The first two units have been revealed.

ftjwm.jpg

This is the Ranger. He can use a variety of weapons in battle making him a safe bet when going into any battle.

FaBX2.jpg

This is the Wing Diver. She can zip around and fly with a jetpack and uses guns based off Ravager tech.

That's it for now. The game is slated to be released sometime next year. For now, here are some more screens.

LEkr7.jpg
j78zn.jpg
7nz6R.jpg
lojAn.jpg
ysFg2.jpg

Shady3011 on

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Earth Defense Force 3 (Insect Armageddon) was ok, but not amazing.
    This however? This looks FANTASTIC. Day 1 buy, especially with online multiplayer.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Thank God it's back with the 2017 devs. IA was okay, but nowhere near as good as 2017.

• MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    How the hell does it move so fast while walking so slowly!?

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    If this has wasps I'm going to cry. I don't want to believe that Sandlot would be foolish enough to actually bring that enemy back though, at least not without changing it so that it isn't horrible to fight.

Gilder on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    FUCK. YES.

Insect Armaggeddon was decent, I was more mad that the campaign wasn't even finished over any specific gameplay things. Plus I had the fuckawesome Battle Armor, which I hope at least the shield makes it into this in some fashion.

...speaking of new EDF games though, what ever happened to that fantasy beat em up that was briefly mentioned in the last EDF thread?

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    That's Zangeki no Reginleiv, and it was only released in Japan. I only played a bit of it and can say that the Wiimote is the way to go.

edited September 2012
    Dartboy wrote: »
    FUCK. YES.

Insect Armaggeddon was decent, I was more mad that the campaign wasn't even finished over any specific gameplay things. Plus I had the fuckawesome Battle Armor, which I hope at least the shield makes it into this in some fashion.

...speaking of new EDF games though, what ever happened to that fantasy beat em up that was briefly mentioned in the last EDF thread?
    The battle armor shield was the best part of IA. Gather growd. Carpet bomb the entire vicinity. Throw up shield and laugh maniacally as a whole city block goes up in a flaming hell storm. Profit.

JihadJesus on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Dartboy wrote: »
    FUCK. YES.

The battle armor shield was the best part of IA. Gather growd. Carpet bomb the entire vicinity. Throw up shield and laugh maniacally as a whole city block goes up in a flaming hell storm. Profit.

Oh yes. I'm playing through IA right now, and Battle Armor is king of the hill.

Playing a lot of IA. As in, I have a pesticide gun.

A lot of the flaws in the game just vaporize when you fire it. As does everything else in a 150 meter radius. That sucker is the most badass gun in the whole series.

(And playing on PC makes me hate Wasps a lot less. Mouselook and a high powered assault rifle can deal with pretty much any problem.)

This one looks like a remake of GDF so far. Same plot, same characters. Which means it'll probably have the same plot twist.

Not complaining, especially since that one never made it stateside, but it's probably not going to have Battle Armor, and that's a damn shame.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    guh... I love EDF, but man I fucking hate spiders. Not just this game, but all games, I hate the bastards.
    I dont have arachnophobia, but considering my loathing I can only imagine what those people have to look forward to in games.

Now the bastards look even *more* realistic >.>;;

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    This is the perfect game for people who hate spiders. It's spider genocide.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    This is the perfect game for people who hate spiders. It's spider genocide.

I'd say Insect Armageddon is the perfect game there. You kill tons of spiders, but they're never too bad. Except the Bomber Spiders.

EDF 2017 spiders are evil incarnate. I suspect this game will be a return to form.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Please let the ant animations be closer to IA than 2017. To this day I cannot play 2017 alone because the ants make me panic.

I also hope the controls are as easy as they were in 2017. My girlfriend doesn't play shooters, but she made an exception for it because it was so simple to control.

Turkey wrote: »
    Please let the ant animations be closer to IA than 2017. To this day I cannot play 2017 alone because the ants make me panic.

I also hope the controls are as easy as they were in 2017. My girlfriend doesn't play shooters, but she made an exception for it because it was so simple to control.

Except for the vehicles.

So many bad memories.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    How the fuck did I crash into the sky?

Sooo many memories.

Never did finish 2017... I think I got as far as the huge robots walking out of the Sea, or fighting the giant spacecraft. Which ever came later.

newSig.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I can't believe people are saying Insect Armageddon was just ok. It was total fuck awesome sauce.

And I can say, as a ridiculously over sensitive arachnophobe, the EDF series has been helping me IMMENSELY with getting over it while terrifying me monumentally at the same while.

It was alright on normal or hard. Inferno is where the flaws became apparent. The mission structure (though longer) was pretty boring. One class was completely useless (Tactical). A lot of the weapons were uninspired. Finally, to me at least, the B-movie feel was lost when it became self-aware. It didn't come off as charming to me. The worst crime is not being able to battle the mothership at the end. What the fuck? That's what this series is known for.

• MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Yeah that was a really huge letdown.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I can't believe people are saying Insect Armageddon was just ok. It was total fuck awesome sauce.

And I can say, as a ridiculously over sensitive arachnophobe, the EDF series has been helping me IMMENSELY with getting over it while terrifying me monumentally at the same while.

One can never get enough of EDF!

and yea, I don't get the "EDF: IA was just okay but thank god Sandlot is doing it again thing" either... but to each his/her own?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited September 2012
    I don't think anyone said others can't love that game. To me at least the game felt more of a cheap copy than the developers own spin on the series. D3 was just being greedy by farming out the series to another developer knowing the following it has here in the states. Sandlot is good at what they do, and that's why I'm glad they are back on the job. Hell, I thought Robot Alchemic Drive (RAD) was going to be lame, but it's an awesome mech game. If anything, I'd like to see them go back to that someday.

Shady3011 on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I feel the most important question as yet remains unanswered.

Will the protagonist be gamings greatest badass, Storm 1?

steam_sig.png
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    It was alright on normal or hard. Inferno is where the flaws became apparent. The mission structure (though longer) was pretty boring. One class was completely useless (Tactical). A lot of the weapons were uninspired. Finally, to me at least, the B-movie feel was lost when it became self-aware. It didn't come off as charming to me. The worst crime is not being able to battle the mothership at the end. What the fuck? That's what this series is known for.

A lot of weapons in 2017 were uninspired. I mean, look at all the "The same gun as earlier, but BIGGER NUMBERS" in the AR lists. Insect Armageddon had a few weaker guns, but I've been playing with Jet recently, and I've been impressed with the variety. Even if we're sticking to assault rifles, there's the energy vortex ones, the homing ones, the just-shoot-fast ones...

And none of them feel like the weapons for Battle Armor or Trooper, which also have some nice variety.

Tactical isn't as fun, but part of the problem seems to be it's built for team support, and I haven't been doing as much multi as I like. Things like the improved radar, mines, and turrets have a place, but they aren't as fun as pure, overwhelming firepower.

I like the jokes. The game couldn't help being self aware when it's written in English. So, either it plays everything straight (not going to work when the giant robots are called Hectors) or it knows it's ridiculous. Which it manages fairly well. Lightning Alpha is a generic marine voiced by Steve Blum. Ops is a more or less sensible girl-who-talks-to-the-player-character of the standard type. Between the two, you get just enough of an impression of "This is a Serious Plot" that everyone else being psychotic or an idiot (or both) is solid comedy.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

A lot of weapons in 2017 were uninspired. I mean, look at all the "The same gun as earlier, but BIGGER NUMBERS" in the AR lists. Insect Armageddon had a few weaker guns, but I've been playing with Jet recently, and I've been impressed with the variety. Even if we're sticking to assault rifles, there's the energy vortex ones, the homing ones, the just-shoot-fast ones...

And none of them feel like the weapons for Battle Armor or Trooper, which also have some nice variety.

Tactical isn't as fun, but part of the problem seems to be it's built for team support, and I haven't been doing as much multi as I like. Things like the improved radar, mines, and turrets have a place, but they aren't as fun as pure, overwhelming firepower.

I like the jokes. The game couldn't help being self aware when it's written in English. So, either it plays everything straight (not going to work when the giant robots are called Hectors) or it knows it's ridiculous. Which it manages fairly well. Lightning Alpha is a generic marine voiced by Steve Blum. Ops is a more or less sensible girl-who-talks-to-the-player-character of the standard type. Between the two, you get just enough of an impression of "This is a Serious Plot" that everyone else being psychotic or an idiot (or both) is solid comedy.

Jet has the nasty crutch of being tied to the energy meter, which, is also required for the boosting and hovering. It is a bad oversight considering it is the only diverse class both weapon and gameplay wise. Tactical is a useless class all the way. You can't lay more than one turret and they suck regardless of difficulty. The radar isn't useful since if you don't have a Tactical guy it just gives you a better radar by default. Mines would have been neat if there was a way to use them on anything other than ants. Power isn't the problem with them. It's the fact that as a tactical class they are completely useless. Hell, they take longer to plant and revive people. What's the point? I felt Battle was kind of boring since I don't like the idea of a shield in these games especially one that negates damage regardless of energy amount. That's not to say it wasn't fun laying waste with the Pesticide gun.

As for story, I can't really argue with you their since it's subjective. However, I felt it forced at times and it didn't feel chessy for it. At least, not in a positive light. Hell, it felt like they just lifted Blum's lines from another game. I'm not sure if that's funny or sad. Maybe a bit of both. As for being self-aware, that's just the writer's choice. They haven't been before this, so it isn't like it felt appropriate.

Wait.

You don't like the Battle Armor?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

As for the Jet, the Jet Armor's meter based weakness is taken straight from Sandlot's GDF, and is almost definitely coming back here. It's a good decision, makes you think about firing and movement despite all the homing weapons. Have you seen any gameplay from not-2017? Because you're blaming Vicious Circle for Sandlot's decisions.

edited September 2012
    Energy was only attached to that class though. This game makes every class use it except Trooper because I don't know why. Just because they copied it wholesale doesn't mean they couldn't fix it. It's not really strategy either as flying is pretty useless because of the height limit. That just reminds me of the boundary limits in that game. As for Battle, I just didn't like how it negates almost all of the difficulty. Moving slowly wasn't the problem as I played as Tactical first and was used to that already.

Anyway, at the end of the day you really aren't going to change my mind about the game. I played way too much of it to even jokingly play it again. As for others, if you see it for $5 and have friends you can play with, you could honestly do a lot worse.

Shady3011 on
    Energy was only for that class in GDF because there were only two classes.

And here, the meters aren't copied for every other class.

I mean, 3/4 classes have energy meters, but they play differently. Tactical's energy meter just determines how many turrets and mines you can deploy. Battle's shield is basically a third multi-function weapon. They're controls for your special abilities, not Jet's all consuming central mechanic.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    IA was an unfinished game. Enough has been said already about the anticlimactic ending. Even more inexcusable is the failure to deliver on Survival mode, with only one class and four weapons total.

So yeah, glad Sandlot is at the helm on this one.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited September 2012
    I don't think anyone said others can't love that game. To me at least the game felt more of a cheap copy than the developers own spin on the series. D3 was just being greedy by farming out the series to anodeveloper knowing the following it has here in the states. Sandlot is good at what they do, and that's why I'm glad they are back on the job. Hell, I thought Robot Alchemic Drive (RAD) was going to be lame, but it's an awesome mech game. If anything, I'd like to see them go back to that someday.

D3 owns Vicious Cycle, and has since 2007... they also own the simple series games iirc. that said they (VC) probably had set of constraints to work within to ensure that it felt with the franchise despite being done by a different group of developers, and it even has a Japanese-made-American feel, at least to me. but idk. 2017 and IA were made in two entirely different periods, rose colored glasses, etc, etc. It's a buy for me regardless, but the "preference" still just puzzles me.

also wondering how they "failed to deliver" on survival mode? it seemed to me like the point of it was to be moreso along the lines of you being some of other dudes in EDF, the limitations fitting a theme more than anything, but eh.

tastydonuts on
    I don't think anyone said others can't love that game. To me at least the game felt more of a cheap copy than the developers own spin on the series. D3 was just being greedy by farming out the series to anodeveloper knowing the following it has here in the states. Sandlot is good at what they do, and that's why I'm glad they are back on the job. Hell, I thought Robot Alchemic Drive (RAD) was going to be lame, but it's an awesome mech game. If anything, I'd like to see them go back to that someday.

D3 owns Vicious Cycle, and has since 2007... they also own the simple series games iirc. that said they (VC) probably had set of constraints to work within to ensure that it felt with the franchise despite being done by a different group of developers, and even it has a Japanese-made-American feel, at least to me. but idk. 2017 and IA were made in two entirely different periods, rose colored glasses, etc, etc. It's a buy for me regardless, but the "preference" still just puzzles me.

also wondering how they "failed to deliver" on survival mode? it seemed to me like the point of it was to be moreso along the lines of you being some of other dudes in EDF, the limitations fitting a theme more than anything, but eh.

Yeah, if you had Jet or Battle, survival would be a lot easier. There's a good dozen guns for the mode, all with strengths and weaknesses. Trying to keep it balanced for every possible weapon in the game would be a nightmare.

D3 owns Vicious Cycle, and has since 2007... they also own the simple series games iirc. that said they (VC) probably had set of constraints to work within to ensure that it felt with the franchise despite being done by a different group of developers, and even it has a Japanese-made-American feel, at least to me. but idk. 2017 and IA were made in two entirely different periods, rose colored glasses, etc, etc. It's a buy for me regardless, but the "preference" still just puzzles me.

Yeah, if you had Jet or Battle, survival would be a lot easier. There's a good dozen guns for the mode, all with strengths and weaknesses. Trying to keep it balanced for every possible weapon in the game would be a nightmare.

I think it's even lampshaded by one of the voiceovers in campaign mode too when they say something along the lines of "I feel sorry for the guys who don't have access to this gear!"

edited September 2012

I mean, 3/4 classes have energy meters, but they play differently. Tactical's energy meter just determines how many turrets and mines you can deploy. Battle's shield is basically a third multi-function weapon. They're controls for your special abilities, not Jet's all consuming central mechanic.

You can't sit there and tell me they weren't copy. It is literally one meter that was used around two other classes. It's practically pointless with Tactical as you can only ever put down one turret at a time. It is a pretty lazy way to work with a mechanic. It was the Jet's thing and it's used decently with one class and half hazardously with another. Survival mode was a throwaway mode to me. It didn't feel necessary and wasn't all that well put together.

I'm just as puzzled as to why you guys can't just take that some people didn't like this game. I'm not actively saying your enjoyment of the game was some sort of facade you put up to not feel like you got ripped off. However, some (I'm not arrogant to say all) felt it lacked a lot of what made 2017 special. I see the game as a poor copy and not much else. If you liked it, more power to you.

Shady3011 on

You can't sit there and tell me they weren't copy. It is literally one meter that was used around two other classes. It's practically pointless with Tactical as you can only ever put down one turret at a time. It is a pretty lazy way to work with a mechanic. It was the Jet's thing and it's used decently with one class and half hazardously with another. Survival mode was a throwaway mode to me. It didn't feel necessary and wasn't all that well put together.

I'm just as puzzled as to why you guys can't just take that some people didn't like this game. I'm not actively saying your enjoyment of the game was some sort of facade you put up to not feel like you got ripped off. However, some (I'm not arrogant to say all) felt it lacked a lot of what made 2017 special. I see the game as a poor copy and not much else. If you liked it, more power to you.

Same meter art, but the use is entirely different.

Asset reuse saves money and improves readibility, which is important. Keeping the meter says immediately "Hey! You have limits to your special power. It drains THIS METER."

I don't object to people disliking Insect Armageddon, but I think it does an amazing number of things, large and small, right, and I want to give it credit for that.

Asset reuse saves money and improves readibility, which is important. Keeping the meter says immediately "Hey! You have limits to your special power. It drains THIS METER."

I don't object to people disliking Insect Armageddon, but I think it does an amazing number of things, large and small, right, and I want to give it credit for that.

Like I said, they did a poor job working with it on other parts. It's not reusing it that bothers me. It's that with Tactical it does it in an arbitrary way that doesn't do anything other than add a pointless buffer since if you don't hit zero it recovers incredibly fast for them. In all honesty, I've played too much of the game to even remember what I did like. It all becomes a blur when you grind the same mission over and over for those dumb achievements.

edited September 2012
    I'm just as puzzled as to why you guys can't just take that some people didn't like this game.

Because not liking a game and saying it's bad, subpar and unfinished are two different things. And we're only discussing one of those. No one is questioning the fact you didn't like it although they are sussing out some shakey reasons behind it.

Magic Pink on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Why does it have to be spiders!?

Because bullets and spiders go together vera vera well.

edited September 2012

Like I said, they did a poor job working with it on other parts. It's not reusing it that bothers me. It's that with Tactical it does it in an arbitrary way that doesn't do anything other than add a pointless buffer since if you don't hit zero it recovers incredibly fast for them. In all honesty, I've played too much of the game to even remember what I did like. It all becomes a blur when you grind the same mission over and over for those dumb achievements.

And... beating 53 missions four times and grinding random drops for the achievements wasn't an extremely repetitive and forgettable experience? hell, I even did it the first time on Hardest. /boggle.

I get that you don't like it, I just think that the whole "SANDLOT WILL FIX EVERYTHING" thing is off.

tastydonuts on
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    @miscellaneousinsanity

happy birthday

• MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    I loved old EDF, but IA was so bad.

And... beating 53 missions four times and grinding random drops for the achievements wasn't an extremely repetitive and forgettable experience? hell, I even did it the first time on Hardest. /boggle.

I get that you don't like it, I just think that the whole "SANDLOT WILL FIX EVERYTHING" thing is off.

Especially when some of the complaints are about things Sandlot did first.

I just rather have the original developer be doing their thing than someone else trying to emulate it. That's the big problem with IA. Even if they were restricted, they didn't have to adhere with limitations that were present in 2017 because those were a product of it being a PS2 game on a next-gen console. The best we got was online co-op, which, is the big reason why I got the game. That and being cheap(er).