As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Headphone girl.

LlyLly Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Ok so I want to take this past a doodle so I figured I'd make a thread. This is done from a photo ref.

Initial sketch was already in the doodle thread so spoilered:
sketches1.jpg

And now the lines:

headphonegirl.jpg

I would appreciate any crits before I take it to colours. Are there any glaring problems with the lines etc etc.

Cheers

Lly on

• Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lly wrote: »
    Ok so I want to take this past a doodle so I figured I'd make a thread. This is done from a photo ref.

Initial sketch was already in the doodle thread so spoilered:
    sketches1.jpg

And now the lines:

headphonegirl.jpg

I would appreciate any crits before I take it to colours. Are there any glaring problems with the lines etc etc.

Cheers

No immediate issues I can see. Take it to colour and give it some pizzaz.

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Though this line art is fantastic, I can't really tell it's a girl.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Her right forearm seems a bit long to me, but other then that I love it, can't wait to see it in color.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    MT, the subject was quite boyish so that's entirely understandable. Hopefully with colouring I'll be able to make it more obvious that she's a lass.

JWahke, her right or our right? If anything i'd say that her right arm looks slightly shorter than the left .... Maybe after a nights sleep it will be more obvious!

Thanks guys. Preliminary colours have just this second started ... I am having trouble choosing how to colour it though! How stylized/realistic etc etc ... I like this part of the process :D

Lly on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Her right arm does seem longer in the ink, but in the sketch is just about right... there is some foreshortening in the left arm (just a skosh) so that might be making the difference.

All around though, looks really good.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    mickemicke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Too me there is something going on with the headphones (lovely model on those headphones btw), could it be that they are too big for her so they don’t sit correctly on her head? (I'd like to se the ref). But all in all a lovely pic!

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your character has a very natural/interesting looking pose! Can't wait to see what this will look like colored.

One small nitpick:

The girl's left hand that is leaning on her leg bothers me a very very little bit. Maybe it's my personal tastes but I think you should ink in the knuckle of the thumb to show that the thumb is squished between the pants and the rest of the hand.

furiousNU on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I will try and figure out what you mean about the forearm tomorrow when i have less beer in my blood! The headphones really are that big in the ref.
    headphonesref.jpg

Furious, I am planning on indicating more subtle stuff like you mentioned with the colouring, rather than black lines (if i can pull it off). Good crit though.

Anyways, possible colour scheme ... sorta. Pending fixing the arm.

headphonegirl2.jpg

The BG will be paler.

Thanks for the input folks. It's much appreciated!

edit: Crap, seeing the ref right there next to it it seems quite different proportionally. Damnit.

Lly on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "edit: Crap, seeing the ref right there next to it it seems quite different proportionally. Damnit."

No one will know but you ;-)

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One hand has fingernails and one doesn't.

thundercake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    One hand has fingernails and one doesn't.

Yeah I noticed that too. Silly me :D I'll add the others tonight ... or maybe she's a mutant.

Lly on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Very nice. HER left arm (our right) is too long form elbow to wrist. Draw a guide between the elbows and another between the wrists. the wrists are at about the same level while the left elbow is higher indicating it should be further back. Also I just realized that you flipped the image, so I am referencing the colored version.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    digging the pallete lly.

what ref did you use?

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The ref's spoilered above the semi-coloured version.

Lly on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks great, there's only two things bothering me really. The legs look like they're behind the hands instead of in front of like in the red partly because her left hand fall over top of her leg, instead of behind.

The other thing is to the right of her right hand index finger the pant leg has a crease line that touches a line that is on the butt area of her pants, I know there is a name for this type of situation and for the life of me I can't remember it right now.

This is what I'm talking about with the pants:

headphonegirl.jpg

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That is called a bad tangency.

rts on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Cheers dudes. It actually fixed itself when I adjusted the arms.

Colours are nearly done, it's just missing the finishing touch and I am stumped! Will post an update in a bit.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well. I think I am finished for now, pending opinions from you folks. I am knackered, so maybe it sucks and my weary brain is hiding the fact from me!

headphonegirl4.jpg

Any opinions would be great. I'm not sure about the BG cloudshapes, and also I am not sure how well the juxtaposition of kinda realistic skin rendering and vector clothing worked. Lemme know what you think.

Lly on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    AH, yes! tangent... thanks for the reminder.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    ZOMG! I like it

eric. on
  • Options
    EnefEnef Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    why is the shading so different on the shirt to the sky? the shading on the shirt makes it look like the material curtains are made out of, yet if it was cotton it would probably be a much softer shading style.

just an opinion.

Enef on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Her eyes might be too wide, they're nearly the same length as her eyebrows.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i think id like it more smaller and cropped, but it looks alright. Very "indie"

Greatnation on
  • Options
    BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was afraid Headphone Girl was going to look like a guy, but you did a good job with the shading.

Whether or not I like the shading. . . not sure. It's like you have three different art styles going, with the lines, the shading of the skin, and the shading of the clothes. Maybe it should be more unified, maybe it makes it more interesting as an art piece, I can't really say. Seems a little much, though.

The clouds are sexy, don't worry.

BenGPT on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The color choices are quite pleasing.

I like the clouds too, but the shading of the skin looks weird in comparison to the vectorized looking coloring of the rest of the piece.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I've got an itchin' to color this line work... (time permitting)

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ya, one thing that sticks out for me is the difference in coloring styles for the skin and clothes. It really is breaking the image into parts to me, brings the whole thing down. One thing that might be working against you, what I have trouble with, is oversimplifying early. If you don't define your forms solidly, and instead use simple linework, it causes problems later when you go in with colors and try to re-apply that form.

If your going to outline it to start, you probably don't want to go back in and try to re-invent the form. What I'm trying to work on lately at least, maybe you can find some use in that idea as well. As is, even if the coloring style was uniform, it would still look flat, and less interesting than it's potential. For the process you went through, I'd say you're probably better off leaving it in that second stage with the flat colors.

Anyways, I'm still pretty novice too, so take it with a grain of salt. (whatever that means)

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the comments folks. With such an overwhelming dislike of the skin rendering how could i not redo it!

Here is a hopefully better version with the skin rendered as vectors. Any better?

headphonegirl6.jpg

Lly on
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The skin looks better, although she seems to have anti-knuckles on her hands (they should be highlights, instead they're in shadows). The shirt still needs work, the inked lines don't match with the contours of the shadows.

Saved on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ^ Agreed

Skin looks much better now.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would probably bring that leg in a bit to eliminate that small amount of sky coming through. While I wouldn't go so far as to say it is becoming a focal point..it does pull at your eyes a bit.

rts on
  • Options
    BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait a minute. . . you flipped her! Twice! And I didn't even realize! Anyway, good job on the skin.

BenGPT on
  • Options
    Crazy ArtistCrazy Artist Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My only complaint is that it seemed like you had maybe just a little too much shadow/wrinkles on the shirt. It's a tad distracting. I would reign it in a little, but not too much.

Crazy Artist on