As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

San Diego Comic-Con News Thread

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Graphic Violence
The major panels are about to start up later today and I thought that one thread for all of the news would be better than it being scattered throughout a few of them.

First up, an unidentified teaser image for the Marvel Panel tonight:
what.jpg

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Full Ultimates 3 Cover Debut, spoiled for major H-Scroll Rape:
    ultimates-20070724055637699.jpg
    exclusive-ultimates-3-debut-part-two-20070726025554991.jpg

Edit: Oh, hey that's over 500k...I'll just use the two separate ones.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jawha

Man, those are some weird line-ups.

Furu on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow. Blob's face is gonna hurt.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2007
    Also:

Wolverine and Spider-Man on this team?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't for the life of me figure out what the fuck that is in the teaser.

Furu on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It takes place after Ultimates 2, which takes place a year after Ultimates 1, which is set in the future. I think.

Fencingsax on
    edited July 2007
    Dude with a cane, and some chick standing odd.

Also: Adi Granov art.

How many dudes with canes are in the 616?

Calamity Jane on
  • FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Say hi to Steve Purcell for me.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just out of curiosity, why is there always one character looking towards the "camera" whenever there's a big action shot like that Ultimates 3 cover? Magneto looks so silly, and it makes no sense.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Also:

Wolverine and Spider-Man on this team?

Looks that way, and makes sense if the villain lineup their showing is going to play into the storyline. Wolverine has Magneto, and Spiderman has venom. I'm liking the artwork so far.Of course, Mad's art has never been the problem. It's been his inability to remain on schedule.

noir_blood on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me figure out what the fuck that is in the teaser.
    Is that a Brood?

deadonthestreet on
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Would anyone attending the Con please pick up the SDCC exclusive My Little Pony for me? Someone is maybe picking up one for me, but I want to have another lined up just in case. (I will buy both if both people buy them for me.) They're $10 each and are located at the Hasbro booth. I can PayPal you.

Also, I know a whole board full of pony collectors looking for the SDCC pony, if anyone wants to pick up and sell extras. PM me if you want to know the name of the board.

LadyM on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, that Ultimates 3 image looks hot. My only question is who the hell that girl is on the Ultimates side, the oen carrying the sword. Also, the bad guys have Jamie Maddrox on their side? And fuck yes, ULTIMATE BLACK PANTHER, BITCHES!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Madrox first debuted as a villain, so it's not so odd that he may be one in Ultimates.

Munch on
    edited July 2007
    Right, I just keep hoping he'll switch sides. Then maybe we can get some Ultimate X-Factor action going.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2007
    Matt Wagner announced a Madame Xanadu Ongoing under the Vertigo imprint:
    MXPromoColors-copy.jpg

DC's Countdown Panel was pretty uneventful except for the fact that the title will be changed to Countdown to Final Crisis with Issue 26.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Countdown to Final Crisis with Issue 26.
    Is it really selling that bad?

deadonthestreet on
    edited July 2007
    "Final Crisis"? Can we hold DC to that? :P

wwtMask on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pretty sad debut. Its like they decided Ultimates was such garbage they needed to make it identical to the 616 Avengers. I hope they rename the book Ultimate Avengers so we know its not going to be anything like the old one.

Ironman - returned to 616 counterpart
    Cap - aside from missing the wings, looking identical to 616 version
    Thor - Odinson style and they even changed the god damn hammer on him to match 616 version. Bendis already confirmed that Loeb is making him revert to verily, etc type speech with his arc (when people questioned his Ultimate Powers version speaking that way), so its like Loeb cannot comprehend different takes on classic characters.
    Hawkeye - Gunman Extreme should be the new name. I cant wait for Loeb's insight into the death of his son that we all know he will tell.
    Spider-man - as the new team has no ties to SHIELD, I cant see any reason for him being there. Venom is not a high caliber opponent that they would need ot recruit Spidey to stop him
    Magneto - guess Brian Singer isnt coming back to write his Magneto arc that they wouldnt let BKV write. Loeb probably rates higher then others though. And whats with the pose?
    Pym - why is he there? No one believed his bullshit about not being on the terrorists side and since they arent with SHIELD, theres no one forcing them to take him on the team
    Jan - Why woudl should be there if her wife beating, terrorist husband (ex?) is there?
    Scarlet Witch - back to the old costume? Any reason? Too lazy to reference the first two series to see she doesnt wear that?

The more I see of this Ultimates 3, the more I hate it. I already know that Black Panther will infiltrate the team to see if these people are really heroes, just like the original did, as Loeb has no originality whatsoever. Why they are fighting the brotherhood of villains is beyond me though. Thor could take out the entire brotherhood himself.

Wolverine and Spider-man are there so Loeb can meet sales quotas. No other reason for it.

KVW on
    edited July 2007
    Well, Venom (or some kind of symbiote) is going to be raising hell in New Avengers soon, so I can't say that Venom isn't a worthy Avengers foe.

Hawkeye was the gun dude before now. Not really sure what else you could expect (especially now that he has to pick up Black Widow's slack).

Spidey's always had a place on the Ultimates waiting for him once he graduated HS. Just because it's not a SHIELD op anymore doesn't change that.

I think it's easy enough to see how Pym could be pardoned or not charged. His Ultron androids helped turn the tide, after all.

If you recall from Ultimates 2, Jan and Hank's relationship was on the mend. They were at least friendly.

The rest of it I'm going to chalk up to artistic license and give Loeb a chance before calling this a failure.

wwtMask on
    edited July 2007
    While I'm remaining hopeful about the story, I hate how Joe Mad is 616izing the Ultimates.

Iron Man, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in particular.

Also, Loeb, why the fuck would you put Thor in his thee and thou phase again?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "Will we see the DC One Million future again?" DiDio: "With Grant Morrison writing, yeah."

:^::^:

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I loved DC One Million, great stuff.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I loved DC One Million, great stuff.

They made an apearance in All Star Superman. I think. Right? The 5th Dimension Superman was talking about in One Million and was show in All Star.

graizur on
    edited July 2007
    The Spirit is ending with it's 12th issue.

D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

awww. Man.

Dex Dynamo on
    edited July 2007
    what.jpg

Fin Fan Foom + Extremus

graizur on
    edited July 2007
    I don't get the Fing Fang Foom theories.

They look nothing alike.

fingfang.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    I don't get the Fing Fang Foom theories.

They look nothing alike.

fingfang.jpg

You just wanted an excuse to post that image. :rotate:

graizur on
    edited July 2007
    Well, yeah.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    IS there an Ultimate Fin Fang Foom?

graizur on
    edited July 2007
    Not that I know of. That's a definite possibility.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    CORRECTION:
    The Spirit is not being cancelled, Cooke is just leaving the title with 12.

I'm just as upset.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    CORRECTION:
    The Spirit is not being cancelled, Cooke is just leaving the title with 12.

I'm just as upset.

he said he was on it for two years!

fuck

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That was the very first thing I thought upon reading that.

Also, I can't imagine who could possibly fill Cooke's shoes on the Spirit. Most likely the title just wasn't selling enough to justify keeping Cooke on it, but fuck, I really think that it was a book that could have had its readership grow over time, ala Fables, Walking Dead, and a lot of other niche books.

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    At his San Diego “Spotlight” panel, creator Darwyn Cooke announced the DC ongoing series The Spirit will conclude with its 12th issue.

Cooke also revealed that he has two graphic novels planned over the next two years - one an all ages fairy tale, and the second, more in the vein of his Catwoman work, centering on a man who's life is unraveling as he deals with modern life

Look for more details coming soon in a full panel report…

WHAT NO GOD DAMMIT

he's done with the spirit to do his own stuff

Where are you, Hughtron?

where are you so i can kill you

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007

No. It's not pulling in '52' numbers but it's still going well.

Bad Karma on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Who's taking over?

Dex Dynamo on
    edited July 2007
    Not really news, but not really action figure related..but hey..it's Comic Con related.

Sideshow is carrying the exclusive SDCC Jim Lee Batman prints.

Too expensive for me, and I'm not a big Jim Lee guy, but good stuff for any mega fans who can't make it to the convention.

Bad Karma on
    edited July 2007
    those are expensive costumes

also where the fuck did that robin costume come from

Garlic Bread on