As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] ass

1848586878890»

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @rfilyaw that is a fantastic chart and really does sum it up succinctly

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dammit. Now I want to watch Die Hard again.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Damn weeaboos.

Did someone just say "weeaboo"?
    'Cause i think i just heard someone say "Weeaboo"...

The guy rolling sushi isn't thinking "I MUST PUT EVERY OUNCE OF MY BEING INTO MAKING THIS DELICIOUS SNACK!" He's thinking "Yup, this is some fish and rice, alright."

Haha, what? I'm confused.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Yay, finally finished Sleeping Dogs! Was good!

Sadly, I don't think there are any post-completion missions you can do to earn more Triad XPs, so I will probably never get dat cheevo, should've worn more triad clothes instead of my sweet hipster jacket.

EDIT: According to the internet you can replay missions.... may try that.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    TehSloth wrote: »

Sadly, I don't think there are any post-completion missions you can do to earn more Triad XPs, so I will probably never get dat cheevo, should've worn more triad clothes instead of my sweet hipster jacket.

you can replay missions dogg

• Options
    @TehSloth the trick, when you replay, is to go for the high-value arm and leg breaks and not the much smaller points you get from environmental kills. And since you're replaying at your current level instead of whatever you had at the time, that's a lot easier.

• Options
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So I'm starting to read Object Oriented Deseign Paterns, and every couple of sections the author takes a moment to bag on C++ programmers, which is entertaining me to no end. What a goof.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @TehSloth the trick, when you replay, is to go for the high-value arm and leg breaks and not the much smaller points you get from environmental kills. And since you're replaying at your current level instead of whatever you had at the time, that's a lot easier.

Yeah, that or I'll spam Dim Mak, and wear the clothes for it, although IMO the few 15% triad XP tops look dumb.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular

you can replay missions dogg

Was this guy sleeping or something? HEH

Sleepy dawgz

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    u entertain me ronald

i permit u 2 live

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    like I generally think people are best served by expanding their cultural literacy forward and back in time. I try to at least have an idea of what is going on in the landscape even when I don't have time to catch up with it all (I still haven't seen Adventure Time or many other big current shows yet) but I also really like encountering great and interesting things from decades ago, even when those things take some work to appreciate. I think it keeps us nimble and helps us question our unvoiced assumptions.

I have a weird love of late 60s and 70s psychedelic jam rock (Traffic, The Allman Brothers, Jethro Tull, etc.) that comes from having decided to be open-minded about the musical tastes of co-workers twice my age. I used to think it was dumb meaningless hippie music before I gave it a chance. Now I get it, man.

My tastes in contemporary music have greatly expanded as a result and my life is more enriched for it.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    like, there are movies that are not typically regarded as super high art but that I think are nonetheless flawlessly put together for what they are. Back to the Future is one, or Galaxy Quest. RoboCop is in that vein. I can understand someone just not liking sci-fi action or being turned off by the violence or whatever but it a very thoughtfully made movie.

hahaha galaxy quest with tim allen? i actually really liked that movie.

david mamet lists it as one of his five perfect movies

no joke

I did not know this, but I completely agree. It is simply one of the most overlooked gems of cinema.

• Options

Yeah, that or I'll spam Dim Mak, and wear the clothes for it, although IMO the few 15% triad XP tops look dumb.

oh, it's not just in your opinion. the mountain master clothes are astonishingly ugly. wearing them is a sacrifice we make for that cheevo

• Options
  • Options
    like I generally think people are best served by expanding their cultural literacy forward and back in time. I try to at least have an idea of what is going on in the landscape even when I don't have time to catch up with it all (I still haven't seen Adventure Time or many other big current shows yet) but I also really like encountering great and interesting things from decades ago, even when those things take some work to appreciate. I think it keeps us nimble and helps us question our unvoiced assumptions.

I have a weird love of late 60s and 70s psychedelic jam rock (Traffic, The Allman Brothers, Jethro Tull, etc.) that comes from having decided to be open-minded about the musical tastes of co-workers twice my age. I used to think it was dumb meaningless hippie music before I gave it a chance. Now I get it, man.

My tastes in contemporary music have greatly expanded as a result and my life is more enriched for it.

Exactly, yeah. I think music is especially susceptible to people not really exploring it because a) there is just so much and b) being up on the current music is a real passport into certain social circles in a way that knowing your bluegrass or your new wave is not.

• Options
    like, there are movies that are not typically regarded as super high art but that I think are nonetheless flawlessly put together for what they are. Back to the Future is one, or Galaxy Quest. RoboCop is in that vein. I can understand someone just not liking sci-fi action or being turned off by the violence or whatever but it a very thoughtfully made movie.

no joke

I did not know this, but I completely agree. It is simply one of the most overlooked gems of cinema.

I just rewatched it last week after I had heard this, in fact. It really is terrific.

• Options

no joke

I got coerced into rewatching Galaxy Quest by my ex and it really is a great movie

It skewers everything that it's an homage to

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    Damn weeaboos.

The guy rolling sushi isn't thinking "I MUST PUT EVERY OUNCE OF MY BEING INTO MAKING THIS DELICIOUS SNACK!" He's thinking "Yup, this is some fish and rice, alright."

Someone mentioned something about how sushi chefs were true craftsmen and strive for perfection in every simple task. I call BS on that.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

no joke

I just rewatched it last week after I had heard this, in fact. It really is terrific.

I did the same a year or two ago. It was an honestly good movie, I really liked it. Even though my movie snob friend was trying to tell me how horrible I was the whole time.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Galaxy Quest is excellent, yes.

Even after the theatrical release where it was largely ignored.

Even after that long stint on TBS / TNT where it was on seemingly weekly and could not be ignored.

I don't enjoy writing long-winded treatises about movies I like, but I can vague generality this thing, no problem. It's well acted, embraces its own cheese, and achieves every goal it sets out to achieve. Though a parody of Star Wars and Trek alike, it's a loving one. It is tight, logical, and compartmentalized. The payoff is worth it. It "takes you on the journey," which is about as much praise as could ever really be lavished on a film.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Damn weeaboos.

Someone mentioned something about how sushi chefs were true craftsmen and strive for perfection in every simple task. I call BS on that.

Depends on the sushi chef I guess. If you're one of those guys that made rice for ten years as your apprenticeship, I gotta think you pay pretty damn close attention to every little detail.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options

Exactly, yeah. I think music is especially susceptible to people not really exploring it because a) there is just so much and b) being up on the current music is a real passport into certain social circles in a way that knowing your bluegrass or your new wave is not.

a) is so very true, compounded by the problem of music genres these days being so fractal. Metal gets a lot of derision for this ("it's Norwegian black sludge doom drone!") as does electronic music ("no no trance is 120 bpm and this is 140bpm so it's techno!") but it's true of everything. For every artist you hear there are ten major influences on that artist and (unless he's super-obscure and really new) ten other artists influenced by him, and you can keep going up the flowchart without ever breaking out of a major style. You only have so much time in the day, after all.

But moving outside your musical horizons is so rewarding. As an example one of my favorite Porcupine Tree songs used to be Shallow but after listening to the kind of stuff that really influenced Steven Wilson to break out of his weird electronica phase and into straight up rock, it's probably something like Stranger by the Minute. Vocal harmonies, obtuse lyrics, stripped-down electric guitars; yeah that's straight outta the 70s.

I haven't really experienced b) yet but I have noticed that if you try to go to a show for a band that actually plays on the radio you do get more takers than something as obscure as PT.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    The best thing about Galaxy Quest is how the new Star Trek reboot was basically a remake of it

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I liked Galaxy Quest. I guess I can't think of anything that was wrong with it, and the genocide part was pretty bold for a comedy.

• Options
    Damn weeaboos.

that was Thom, talking about Jiro Dreams of Sushi, which is a documentary about the world's best living sushi chef

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    man, amazon prime has like exploded in awesome over the past few weeks.

• Options
    the new chat lives

it walks

it conquers

This discussion has been closed.