As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ravnica Resurgence: Magic the Gathering

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I officially hate playing against mono-green infect. I had to play against it 4 times in 5 rounds at a SCG IQ today. I still managed to make it to 7th and get some packs, but I always felt way on the back foot against that deck. Looking forward to this rotation.

This is how I feel. Of the mini tournments at GenCon I played, I saw nothing but dredge and infect. "Oh yeah, my land becomes a 1/1 crreature with flying and infect. Now I pump it. Its a 4/4, now because of this its a 11/11. You die. Good game" WAS IT? WAS IT!?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    there are almost no good reasons to run more than 60 cards

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i tweaked it after i posted that and i should be rockin at or just above sixty

dropped the cathedral sanctifier, serra, and a couple lands

added two thalia and some war falcons

i've fucked the math up by doing it so many times but i'm either at 60 or i'm at 61

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    there are almost no good reasons to run more than 60 cards

And they basically consist of "playing a casual/multiplayer format where the rules state you have to have more than sixty".

• Options
    edited September 2012
    here is the updated list after i pull a couple things and add a couple others

disregard this list it is WRONG

Buttlord on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Getting down to 60 is always tough for me

I can never bear to take cards out, they are like my children

xet8c.gif

• Options
    Sal wrote: »
    Getting down to 60 is always tough for me

I can never bear to take cards out, they are like my children

kill your children

it will make you strong

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My boxes were so-so: 2 duals from INN, Snapcaster, Liliana, Mikaeus, Gisela, Avacyn, Cavern of Souls, Tamiyo, Wolfir Silverheart.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I would play it out a few times, but I usually like to have more than 20 lands in decks that can't really afford to miss a drop.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    you could probably drop the aven squires for oblivion rings or something imo. I dunno how often you plan on making use of the exalted

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    I would play it out a few times, but I usually like to have more than 20 lands in decks that can't really afford to miss a drop.

trim two cards for me then since i'm out of ideas

• Options
    Yeah, I am really not a fan of Aven Squire in a deck like that, since you're playing so many dudes and no other Exalted guys. I would cut those for like 2 lands and 2 Oblivion Ring. Or 1 land and 3 Oblivion Ring. Some combo.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    At first glance I would cut the kemba's skyguard because its an even 2 of that looks like it can go without much trouble.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Pro deckbuilding strats:

Tape all your cards on the wall and throw darts at them. Put whatever the darts land on in the deck.

Fold all of your cards into little paper airplanes and throw them down the street. Put the ones that go the farthest in your deck.

Put your cards in a pile and light them on fire. Wait thirty seconds, and then pick as many up as you can. If you can still read the rules, put them in your deck.

Run every single card you have through a paper shredder.

• Options
    ToastmoldToastmold Registered User regular
    No anthem cards? (+1/+1 to all white guys) Also, the Sublime Archangel seems like it would be fun to have in it.

• Options
    here's a question that requires two answers

i understand the theory behind mono green, red, and whtie decks

even if i can't build them for shit

what's the general Idea behind mono black or blue?

• Options
    Control

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    oh so those are the decks for people who don't have big boy hairs yet

• Options
    They are for people who would rather win than have fun.

• Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    They are for people who would rather win than for their opponents to have fun.

ftfy

• Options
    so people who don't have their big boy hairs yet and have also lost sight of why you play this stupid game in the first place

because it's fun as shit

• Options
    I play mono-black control because it is fun. Because my idea of fun is attacking with lifelinkers and dropping Karn on turn 5.

• Options
    I feel like control decks help teach aggro players how to be better at Magic. Like, don't play out all of your dudes on the first 3 turns if you can't win by the end of your turn 4, because I am going to Mutilate all of your stuff.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    here's a question that requires two answers

i understand the theory behind mono green, red, and whtie decks

even if i can't build them for shit

what's the general Idea behind mono black or blue?

Blue and black are usually about keeping the field locked down and then landing a crucial threat that the opponent can't handle. Blue in particular tends to be about gaining card advantage (i.e. having access to more cards and more useful cards than your opponent) and can also be a good color for "combo" decks that win with something like infinite mana, for example.

Black also does aggro fairly well if built right. Look at the zombie decks floating around Standard recently.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I play a lot of U/X because I like controlling the game and trying to out maneuver and out smart my opponents. I always pair it with something though, usually green for ramp or red for burn.

edit: I also really like RUG but depending on standard it can be hard to make that work. Absolutely loved the RUG deck I had back in shards/zen standard.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    again

let me know when you get your pubes

and we'll have a fight

none o this nerd slapfight horseshit

just straight up punch each other in the ding dongs

• Options
    These kids who have only played under NWO. They don't remember the good old days of control being everywhere.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    so people who don't have their big boy hairs yet and have also lost sight of why you play this stupid game in the first place

because it's fun as shit
    control is fun for the person controlling the game

since you run green and red and white i can see where your dislike of it came from

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    again

let me know when you get your pubes

and we'll have a fight

none o this nerd slapfight horseshit

just straight up punch each other in the ding dongs

Please feel free to fuck your stupid face.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    besides, izzet punches people in the face like a red deck, and burns like a red deck

also it has counterspells and draw and those cool things

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    I couldn't decide between agree and awesome

But I love you duck

• Options

because it's fun as shit
    control is fun for the person controlling the game

since you run green and red and white i can see where your dislike of it came from

Control is fun to play against if you know what control can do and how to beat it. It's only not fun when you're just getting shut down every turn and have no idea what to do.

Aggro vs aggro is super dull.

• Options
    yeah that's true, if the aggro person likes punching faces and is winning against the control, shouldn't that be double fun? because they're beating a control player?

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    besides, izzet punches people in the face like a red deck, and burns like a red deck

also it has counterspells and draw and those cool things

i'd be lying if i said i hadn't thought about going izzet

but

rakdos

• Options
    god i hate discarding

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Azorius forever

AUTHORITY. BUREAUCRACY. PEACE.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Azorius forever

AUTHORITY. BUREAUCRACY. PEACE.

judge_dredd_its_the_law_low.jpg

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it took me way too long to find a good picture of judge dredd saying something about the law

• Options
    ButtfortButtfort don't go to church on a sunday got my own special wayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    things I love: following up an Armageddon with a Life From the Loam in a Commander game.

I guess probably LftL in general? I love that fucking card.

edit: does anybody here play commander, by the way?

Buttfort on
This discussion has been closed.