As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic the Gathering: 五公会新异能公开, 暗码, 敲诈, 血激, 协战, 进化

FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeatRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in Social Entropy++
ARE YOU A FIRST TIMER INTERESTED IN PLAYING MAGIC THE GATHERING?!?!
I highly recommend you get Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, it is cheap and available on several gaming platforms, including Steam and the iPad
This game covers all the basics and most advanced tactics of Magic the Gathering. Even Brian Kibler himself couldn't teach you how to play magic better than this game, it is very fun and very simple! SO GO BUY IT!
After playing this game you will definitely want some real live cardboard in your greasy hands, and the people in this thread will be more than happy to assist you in your new found TCG addiction and instruct you best on how to march into your local games store and ask to see their trade binders like a pro.
Happy tapping :D

R/U in the hooooooooooouse, get ready for Dragon's Maze, this set should certainly be a-MAZE-ing
tumblr_mde2pvEoHB1qjqvxao1_400.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYuF3T7s7XY

Magic the Gathering Primer
-5 colours
-tap stuff to play spells
-reveal trap card
-believe in heart of the cards or suffer defeat

Franko on

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i better have four annihilating fire

• FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    He is scanning and uploading those card as we speak, the excitement grows !

ugh i can't wait till i get my booster box

• RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    THIS GAME SUCKS

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Rest in Peace, Snapcaster Mage
    Rest in Peace, Zombies
    Rest in Peace, Delver
    Rest in Peace, FRites

jCyyTSo.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Hi @Robcham

Whatchu' doin'?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Rest in Peace, Snapcaster Mage
    Rest in Peace, Zombies
    Rest in Peace, Delver
    Rest in Peace, FRites

I assume you mean the newly spoiled 'Rest in peace'
    This hates on graveyards so much it such be tried in a civil court

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    First query to whoever thought up Rest in Peace: "Show me, on the Stuffy Doll, where the bad zombie touched you."

edited September 2012
    Two dumb decks i must make asap:

-Rats deck with the 4 rats in standard (typhoid, ravenous, pack, and drainpipe vermin). throw in black cat, sanctuary cat, and/or descendant's path?
    -deck with call of the guardian, wayfaring temple, and risen sanctuary in it and call it the metroplex deck (with omega supreme and Trypticon)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    doing well.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Two dumb decks i must make asap:

-Rats deck with the 4 rats in standard (typhoid, ravenous, pack, and drainpipe vermin). throw in black cat, sanctuary cat, and/or descendant's path?
    -deck with call of the guardian, wayfaring temple, and risen sanctuary in it and call it the metroplex deck (with omega supreme and Trypticon)

I was quite literally planning this deck out right now.

For anyone looking for a neater spoiler list

http://www.mythicspoiler.com/newspoilers.html

edited September 2012
    guy posted the hybrids/artifacts/lands and there's a 2cmc naturalize+populate instant. also a 1drop 2/2 can't block for rakdos
    Kelor wrote: »
    I was quite literally planning this deck out right now.
    The Rats one? I was thinking mind rot + shrieking affliction. And using morbid, so tragic slip for removal, and some other removals.

also thinking what the hell stupid spoilers made me stay up till 3:45am. I'm going to bed

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I think I hate Rest in Peace, with every fiber of my being.

At least Electrickery is awesome. Now where's Gelectrode?

See with Rest In Peace, how the heck can I be motivated to play Golgari when every damn Azorius and Selesnya deck is probably going to have that

• drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    this is some amazing news to wake up to

booster box guy is my hero

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    they sure seem to be pushing a lot of enchants this set

but thank jeebus they gave me abrupt decay and the fact that naturalize is still around to stop rest in peace w/ zombies

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    Hellhole Flailer might be the greatest name for a magic card ever.

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Rest In Peace. Is a 2-drop Enchantment. That makes graveyards not exist.

Allllrighty then.

• drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    I need Soul Tithe and Ethereal Armor and Sphere of Safety

Doorkeeper is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to see here, though sadly it seems to only be him and the mana guy

Grave Betrayal is something I need to find a way to cheat in immediately

this set just keeps looking better and I really wanna play limited here as much as I can

a1o1MZu.jpg
    I'm still trying to absorb all these cards
    The Rakdos hybrid mana 1 drop uncommon seems so garbage compared to its counterparts
    The naturalize with populate is nuts as all nuts
    Soulsworn Spirit voted card art most likely to appear in my nightmares and murder me
    Common Bond for sweetest artwork
    Love the land enchantments cycle for limited
    Axebane Stag, the common giant deer that can fight Rakdos and live

There are so many cards that just do things
    Lobbercrew, Streetsweeper, will I ever make full use of thee in limited? And how awesome will it be?!

the only thing I don't like about having all of these cards spoiled is that now chances are we won't be getting anything new from official spoilers until the whole set shows up in a week

but I think that's offset by how much I love everything we've been shown so far

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • ToastmoldToastmold Registered User regular
    I think I will avoid reading these spoilers so I can just slowly nibble my way through mostly official reveals.

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Wow. I just realized, the new spoilers confirm that Birds of Paradise are out.

Unless they're in gatecrash, I guess...

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Robcham wrote: »
    See with Rest In Peace, how the heck can I be motivated to play Golgari when every damn Azorius and Selesnya deck is probably going to have that

Because you betrayed the law

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    I can't remember for how cards that decrease cost of spells by 1 colorless interact with spells with X in their casting cost

Because right now it looks like Goblin Electromancer doesn't have much to interact with besides epic experiment

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
    edited September 2012
    you can put the cost reduction towards the X cost unless there's a requirement on what kind of mana can be used for X (like on Soul Burn)

basically you announce what you want the X to be, which will set the spell's cmc while on the stack to X+any other mana in the cost, at which point cost reductions can be applied

so if you say you want X to be 1, it would cost 1UR which Electromancer would turn into UR with an X still being evaluated as 1 on the card

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Sphinx revelation seems like a decent oh fuck someone out there save me card

actually you might be able to put it in even with a requirement since X is still technically colorless and you're not really spending mana, just reducing the cost

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    vandalblast looks like a lot of fun

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    I just started playing with this using a deck comprised of crappy soldiers that you then buff to crazy good levels with like "Captain of The Watch" and a few other cards. I guess the guy that owns the cards spends mucho money on them. Any general tips for playing a soldier focused deck?

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    drp527 wrote: »
    you can put the cost reduction towards the X cost unless there's a requirement on what kind of mana can be used for X (like on Soul Burn)

basically you announce what you want the X to be, which will set the spell's cmc while on the stack to X+any other mana in the cost, at which point cost reductions can be applied

so if you say you want X to be 1, it would cost 1UR which Electromancer would turn into UR with an X still being evaluated as 1 on the card

Yea, this is basically the only reason the alternate method of casting announcement is still legal.
    drp527 wrote: »
    actually you might be able to put it in even with a requirement since X is still technically colorless and you're not really spending mana, just reducing the cost

If an alternate cost or evaluation applies, the -1 will be treated as a null value (possibly making the use of the cost reducer invalid on a card-by-card basis), but generally yes, you can use it for any X spell as long as you pay all associated costs. In the case of Soul Burn, the spell would still do 1 more damage, but your amount of life gain is limited because B was not spent for that extra 1 damage.
    601.2b If the spell is modal the player announces the mode choice (see rule 700.2). If the player
    wishes to splice any cards onto the spell (see rule 702.44), he or she reveals those cards in his or
    her hand. If the spell has alternative, additional, or other special costs that will be paid as it’s
    being cast such as buyback, kicker, or convoke costs (see rules 116.8 and 116.9), the player
    announces his or her intentions to pay any or all of those costs (see rule 601.2e). A player can’t
    apply two alternative methods of casting or two alternative costs to a single spell. If the spell has
    a variable cost that will be paid as it’s being cast (such as an {X} in its mana cost; see rule
    107.3), the player announces the value of that variable. If a cost that will be paid as the spell is
    being cast includes hybrid mana symbols, the player announces the nonhybrid equivalent cost
    he or she intends to pay. Previously made choices (such as choosing to cast a spell with
    flashback from a graveyard or choosing to cast a creature with morph face down) may restrict
    the player’s options when making these choices.

601.2e The player determines the total cost of the spell. Usually this is just the mana cost. Some
    spells have additional or alternative costs. Some effects may increase or reduce the cost to pay,
    or may provide other alternative costs. Costs may include paying mana, tapping permanents,
    sacrificing permanents, discarding cards, and so on. The total cost is the mana cost or alternative
    cost (as determined in rule 601.2b), plus all additional costs and cost increases, and minus all
    cost reductions. If the mana component of the total cost is reduced to nothing by cost reduction
    effects, it is considered to be {0}. It can’t be reduced to less than {0}. Once the total cost is
    determined, any effects that directly affect the total cost are applied. Then the resulting total cost
    becomes “locked in.” If effects would change the total cost after this time, they have no effect.

^ just for reference if anyone cares.

The Good Doctor Tran on
    LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I just started playing with this using a deck comprised of crappy soldiers that you then buff to crazy good levels with like "Captain of The Watch" and a few other cards. I guess the guy that owns the cards spends mucho money on them. Any general tips for playing a soldier focused deck?

depending on what format you're running this in (and by extension what soldiers you have to work with) I'd think the playstyle would be fairly aggressive, since it's essentially a white weenie deck with tribal bonuses

you'd want to get as much out as you could, within reason (counter spells, bounce, and removal are all things to consider because if they boardwipe after you drop everything you're pretty much done) and swarm through their defenses while leaving up a few of your own

Vigilance from Captain of the Watch helps greatly with this, and if this is something that's not specifically built for standard Mobilization would also aid greatly in being able to go offensive while still being defensive

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Magic type lawyering makes me hard

this just in

rakdos supremacy

anybody who moans about that 1 drop 1/1 with unleash is dumb, i'm putting four of those fuckers in my red deck

Detain the planet

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Detain the planet

Azorius all the way.

Really hoping some kind of UWG aggro/midrange thing is good in Standard.

barely any detain permanents. i guess leaving most of them at detain creatures is them being careful

jCyyTSo.png
    Buttlord wrote: »
    this just in

rakdos supremacy

anybody who moans about that 1 drop 1/1 with unleash is dumb, i'm putting four of those fuckers in my red deck

It is like a diregraf ghoul in many ways nothing more
    It is better than diregraf on the turn it comes in, but worse on subsequent turns
    belongs to a shittier tribe
    pfft doesn't even have first strike or nuttin

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Golgari Longlegs is the best name for a card since Slitherhead

This discussion has been closed.