As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

expendableexpendable Silly GooseRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
The Steam Demo contains all of the movies/cutscenes for the full game, as well as dialogue and art files, etc. Some of the filenames contain extreme spoilers. Directory dive at your own risk.
xcomcover530.jpg

This ain't the FPS, this is a straight-up, re-imagining/modernization of the original XCOM from our friends at Firaxis. We're going from this:
e.png

to this:
GasStation_03_1280watermark.jpg

Because of <reasons> I'm not familiar with 20 year old strategy games. What was XCOM, and why is this a big deal?
In 1994, Microprose released the original XCOM: UFO Defense. This game mixed real-time strategy with turn-based strategy. The RTS part, called the Geoscape, took place on a global scale. You started with one base (with the ability to build more) somewhere on the planet. You had to manage your resources, which included buying or manufacturing weapons, ammo, armor, outfitting your air force and troops, and directing research and manufacturing focuses. The money for all of this (including paying everybody's salary) could come from selling your supplies or manufactured goods, but mainly from the funding council of countries. If a country was happy with your performance, you'd receive more money from them the next month. If they were displeased (or infiltrated by the aliens) they would cut off their funding.

Meanwhile, the aliens are sending various UFOs to earth on specific missions. This might include attacking a major city, infiltrating a government, attacking your bases, or setting up their own bases. UFOs could be shot down, and their crash sites investigated. Actually putting soldiers on the ground triggered the turn-based portion of the game, called the battlescape. Missions in the battlescape started with your squad on the landing craft, ready to take on the alien menace. By directing your soldiers, you either killed the enemy, or led your soldiers to their permanent deaths.

The point being the game was deep, hard, and brutal. High casualties and squad-wipes were not only normal, but expected. It has remain well-played to this day. In fact, you should really just go read @Fishman's (still active) LP of the original right now. It's one of the best LPs in the history of forever.
Fishman LP part I: The Bastards have landed
Fishman LP Part II: No, it's not tear gas. It's Catfood.
Fishman LP Part III: It's my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed- not with all of you.
Fishman LP Part IV: I'm in the mood for a little vivisection.
Fishman LP Part V: One does not simply walk into Cydonia

UFO Defense had some sequels which some people have strong opinions about. There were other attempts to clone or revive the series, most of which failed in a spectacular manner. This is the first time that a dedicated, high-budget team has attempted to bring the classic into the modern age.

It all happens for PC/360/PS3 owners on October 9, 2012. Or October 12, 2012 if you happen to not be in North America.

How is this possible? Jake Solomon, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER tells us.

Preorders are open!
Steam
Amazon
Gamefly
GameStop Impulse

Players who pre-order the game will receive access to the Elite Soldier Pack, which includes the following features:
XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-Elite-Soldier-Pack.jpeg
Classic X-COM Soldier: A new recruit inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense, a blond soldier with the flattop hairstyle from the original X-COM.
Soldier Deco Packs: Several aesthetic upgrades to upgrades to armor suites, including the Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
Complete Color Customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets to customize their squad's look.

Players who pre-order from Steam also unlock some TF2 items and a free copy of Civ5.

Prefer physical copies? The Special Edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown includes the following content:
*Fold out poster of the XCOM base
*Art book detailing the conceptual journey of re-imagining the classic
*Patch of the XCOM “Vigilo/Confido” insignia
*Digital bonus items including multi-monitor desktops, soundtrack, and more

PC Requirements:
Minimum Requirements:
Software: Steam Client
Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 20 GB free
Video Memory: 256 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or greater
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended Requirements:
Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 2.7 GHz)
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 20 GB free
Video Memory: 512+ MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9000 series / ATI Radeon HD 3000 series or greater
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
jdarksun wrote: »
Since XCOM tends to spawn interest in having PA forumers volunteer to be in other player's games, I figured I'd try to automate the process as long as we had access to the DefaultNamesList. So if you're interested in having your forum handle show up in other people's games, I put together a form to do just that. The result spreadsheet is here, but I'll write some code to automatically generate a DefaultNamesList from that spreadsheet and share that, too.

==================================================================================================================================
Holy chrysalid! There are spoilers ahead! If you want to go into the game unspoiled about enemies or changes to the game, I wouldn't read past this point.

Assume everything from here on is a spoiler.

Seriously. I warned you. No whining.
==================================================================================================================================

Information, Articles, Videos, etc

Confirmed Enemies:
XCOM-EU_Sectoids.jpg
Sectoid -- Sectoids have the ability to form a psionic link with each other, and once the link is formed, they all receive combat boosts. By eliminating the sectoid forming the link, both sectoids will die.

XCOM-EU_Mutons.jpg
Muton -- Strong and fierce, they have the "Blood Call" ability that motivates surrounding Mutons. Never try to fight one hand-to-hand.

CyberDisk.jpg.XCOM_Cyberdisc_Closed_medium.jpg
Cyberdisc -- They're transformers with at least two forms: a flat, saucer-like form and a spider-like assault form. They're nearly indestructible in the saucer form, forcing you to wait until they can attack.

XCOM-EU_ThinMan.jpg
Thin Man -- Very agile, capable of covering great amounts of land in a single move or jumping several stories in a single leap. They can vomit a deadly acid and explode in acid when killed.

XCOM-EU_Berserker.jpg
Berserker -- Appears to be a heavily armored Muton squad leader. The Berserker has the Bull Rush ability, allowing it to charge towards its targets.

XCOM-EU_Floater.png
Floater -- A monstrous cyborg powered by a pair of twin back-mounted jets. It has the ability to teleport.

XCOM-EU_Chrysalid.jpg
Chrysalid -- Rips your soldiers or any human it can get to with its claws and incubates an egg into their chest. The unfortunate victim is then turned into a zombie which gives birth to a new Chrysalid.

Rw3w95.jpg
Chrysalid Zombie (left) -- What happens to your soldier or civilian after a Chrysalid gets to it.

750px-Chrysalid_Hatchling2.jpg
Chrysalid Hatchling -- A baby Chrysalid, fresh from the zombified corpse of your comrade. It's not cute or cuddly.

-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-Last-Stand-Trailer-Aliens-_.jpg
Outsiders -- These Aliens appear to be deployed/materializing out of glowing orange crystals.

ZBxWO.jpg
Sectopod -- Armored Mech.

No photo available.
Drone -- Small spherical robots; alone these robots are not much of threat, but they have the ability to repair other machines such as cyberdisks.

Things that are different:
* Squad sizes. You start with a squad size of 4, but can upgrade to 6. Robotic tank-type units called SHIVs can be built as well, which take up one soldier slot. They can do a variety of things and allow your soldiers to take cover behind them.

* Bases. There's no base defense, and you can only have one base. However, you can expand your coverage by putting up more satellites to watch the planet, and can build interception bases so your fighters don't have to fly all the way around the world to catch a UFO. Also, the way you interact with your base is new. Called the Ant Farm you see the base as a side-view and can watch your crew between missions while you dictate manufacturing and research.

Where you build your base matters. You get a different bonus based on the continent you build in.
North America: Aircraft and aircraft weapons cost 50% less to build and maintain.
South America: Alien interrogations and autopsies are finished instantly.
Europe: Laboratories and Workshops have cost 50% less to build and maintain.
Asia: Projects in the Foundry and Officer Training school cost 50% less.
Africa: 30% more funding.

*Aliens. The familiar faces may look different. There's also some newcomers.

*Plot. Most of the game is still procedurally generated missions, but there are some "tent-pole" plot missions that occur at certain points that include cutscenes or set-piece battles. Most of the game is still random in terms of missions, challenges, where/when UFOs appear and what enemies you see. National governments may also give missions or requests (ex: Send us 10 lasers for 5 scientists).

*Combat. Fog of war still exists, but TUs are gone. The movement system is "Move-action" where action can be shooting, reloading, moving again, or setting up in overwatch to shoot enemies on their turn. Ammo management is kind of gone; the game assumes you've brought as much normal ammo as you need, but you must spend a turn to reload. Special weapons like rocket launchers still have limited ammo. Also, the squad starts each mission already disembarked from the Skyranger. Soldiers take cover where appropriate.

*Soldiers. Still customizable, still nameable. They start as rookies, but after gaining experience they reveal a specialization. Assault, Support, Sniper, Heavy. As they continue to gain experience, they earn perks and abilities. Wounded soldiers will recover but may suffer permanent penalties as a result. Repeated missions will result in tired soldiers, you'll need more than one team.

Screenshots!

Soldier customization!
2227055-007242.jpg

Research!
1aWf2.jpg

Officer Training school!
trainingschool.jpg
jefe414 wrote: »
From some other video, these are the bonuses and requirements from the officer training school (I'll spoil them just in case someone is going info dark):
Squad Size 1 increases squad to 5. You need a soldier ranked to sergeant
New Guy was confirmed to increase your rookies rank to squaddie automatically upon hire, which also gives them their class.
Wet work is a +25% experience increase from kills.
Iron Will increases the amount of Will that soldiers gain from ranking up. You need a soldier with the rank of Major to purchase this upgrade.
Squad Size 2 increases your squad to 6 soldiers, as shown at the beginning of the thread. You need a soldier with the rank of Captain in order to purchase this upgrade.

Hero Soldiers
i4nyo.jpg

PC KB layout
A9841.png

Chrysallids
384248_508113942546108_1051147410_n.jpg

Articles you might want to read

Some Things You Should Know About the XCOM Demo

RPS: 5 Things Which Make Me Happy in XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Hands-On: Forty Hours with XCOM

Videos!

Note: Most (all?) of these videos and the current Steam Demo are using a previous beta-build of the game. According to Jake Solomon Gentleman Adventurer (JSGA), the wall hack issue has been addressed. So please stop bringing it up.

Interactive Trailer

PC UI Reveal

Multiplayer Match: Amazony vs. Jake Solomon, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER

Joystiq: From X-COM to XCOM
jefe414 wrote: »
OXM gameplay:
PART1
PART2
PART3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

He's playing classic, ironman I believe. Very beginning of the game, skipping the tutorial.

Opening Sequence and First Mission

The first three hours of gameplay (in 4 minutes)

Joystiq Mission Walkthrough

Three new mission types:
Gamespot Plays a mission, shows some Officer Training School

Djiem wrote: »
Lokiamis wrote: »
So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
Steam
expendable on

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I'm still piecing the OP back together. Apparently drafts don't save forever.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ah I missed some of this in the old thread. New Floaters look cool :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I run a marathon two days before this drops. This is my reward.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Regarding the tutorial stuff

The recent GI article revealed that if they played through the tutorial, the first few encounters and events are all scripted.

But you can also choose to skip the tutorial and it will begin randomly generating encounters and events right from the get go.

• Options
    MandabarMandabar Gamer Guy Registered User regular
    Ahhh, The new thread smell

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    So, the game will have a multiplayer versus mode. Will it also have multiplayer co-op for the campaign? I know that doesn't make much sense for a turn based strat game, but it would be neat if it did.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I doubt it, but isn't it moddable?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh another thing that the GI article mentioned that I don't know if it's come up before.

Initial placement of your base has statistical effects. It was mentioned that he built his base in Europe, because it cuts the cost to build and maintain workshops and labs in half.

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    There is no co-op (though I'm not sure how co-op on a turn based strategy game would even work) and Mods are something they 'want to add after release'.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Gentleman, I have two days off when this is available... I am very very excited.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Hey we were discussing this a few minutes ago in the chat room.

Who is up for making a steam group for PA XCOM?

I submit WANGCOM for the traditional PA title format.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Also is anyone making a 360 group? I'm unreliable or I'd do it.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Hey we were discussing this a few minutes ago in the chat room.

Who is up for making a steam group for PA XCOM?

I submit WANGCOM for the traditional PA title format.

I would also accept XDong: Wang Unknown

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Should I get one or two weeks vacation when this is out? Harsh first world problems.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Should I get one or two weeks vacation when this is out? Harsh first world problems.

I'm having 2 days off - if the pre-order countdown can be trusted, it unlocks here in the UK at 8am Thursday morning, so I'll be having a 4 day weekend. 5 days, ideally, if I can build the time up in the next 3 weeks.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    After pre-ordering Xcom for the PC, I'm now thinking of getting it for the Xbox, too (as Xcom is a contenter for a rare 1000/1000 gamerscore).

I'm envisioning 2 playthroughs, side by side. Start with the PC version on Easy, to learn the combat, weapons, get an idea of the research trees, etc, then after the first month switch to the Xbox, and start a Classic run through. At the end of that first month (assuming I survive the first month), switch back to the PC for month 2.

Overkill ?

Not sure if this is a good idea, or if I'm just suffering from pre-order jitters...

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    The confusion about the separate Xcom games is far reaching. Serious, last week I pre-ordered at EB Games and the guy at the cash was blown away that there was a tactical remake as well as a FPS. I told him to brace himself and administered sweet deets.

Id never fist bumped a stranger in a game store before, but it happened that day.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    What are... sweet deets...? Did you introduce him to your family afterwards?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I really hope that the "Humanity's Saviour" (Complete the game on Impossible) and "No Looking Back" (Complete the game in Ironman mode on either Classic or Impossible) achievements are as hard as they sound,
    the latter one will probably become my white whale.

Man, there is alot of movie references in the achievements too, just from the top of my head - Robocop, LOTR, Terminator Salvation, The Fifth Element and X-Men.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Please invite me to this new group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/brianj012

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Just read the minimum requirements. I'm safe, but 20 gigs? Yeesssss. Content.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    While I'm fairly certain this game will rule, I'm a little dismayed at the "last stand" video. I liked that in the original, you were basically shooting down UFOs over farmland or the arctic circle, and studying alien corpses away from prying eyes as part of a shadowy organization. Alien terror raids start later on, so word must get out, but in general it seems that your war with the extraterrestrials is fought in the shadows.

If we're now in full-on Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers mode, I can't help feeling that some of the charm of the original will be lost in the transition.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    While I'm fairly certain this game will rule, I'm a little dismayed at the "last stand" video. I liked that in the original, you were basically shooting down UFOs over farmland or the arctic circle, and studying alien corpses away from prying eyes as part of a shadowy organization. Alien terror raids start later on, so word must get out, but in general it seems that your war with the extraterrestrials is fought in the shadows.

If we're now in full-on Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers mode, I can't help feeling that some of the charm of the original will be lost in the transition.

Terror missions start triggering within the first month. There are usually more than thirty UFO's flying over the world by the end of the first month, and some of them are pretty huge and noticeable. Not to mention terror missions and the fact countries openly defect to, and welcome, the aliens.

I don't think it was ever meant to be a real shadow war, but hardware restrictions probably lent that feel to it.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Except that your very first missions could all be terror missions. It was pretty random, wasn't it?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Fuckin jazzed for dis here game

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The Idle Thumbs stream I linked last thread started the game, played two missions, then the third was a terror mission. That's hardly unusual.

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Oh another thing that the GI article mentioned that I don't know if it's come up before.

Initial placement of your base has statistical effects. It was mentioned that he built his base in Europe, because it cuts the cost to build and maintain workshops and labs in half.

We actually know all 5 bonuses.
    North America: Aircraft and aircraft weapons cost 50% less to build and maintain.
    Europe: Labratories and Workshops have cost 50% less to build and maintain.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Still bummed with lack of Antarctica option. Make it hard(er) mode with no bonuses. Just chillin on the ice with the Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station. Oh, don't mind us dudes, we're just flying some supplies and random stuff. Do whatever researchy things you do on the south pole and shit.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    dont mind "The THINGS" that crawl back and forth between the bases...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    Last Son wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

We actually know all 5 bonuses.
    Europe: Labratories and Workshops have cost 50% less to build and maintain.

There's also speculation that you can acquire these bonuses later on if you have satellite coverage for all the countries in a continent.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Hype is eating me from the inside out

• Options
    Oh wait, that's a crab-clawed bug

uh oh

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »
    Oh wait, that's a crab-clawed bug

uh oh

Light him on fire!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    25yuswsw28295.gif

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    If I can find the XCOM font, I'll put together a snazzy logo.

Give us a yell if you find it.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Don't trust him.

He's a Chryssalid.

They're tricky.

My plan for encountering them? Explosions and overwatch.

• Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    I think for my first playthrough, I'll do my base in Africa, on normal difficulty. Kind of a 'feel everything out' playthrough, so I know what I want to try specializing in on future, more difficult playthroughs.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Super unhappy with this, but here's the concept.

wangcom.png

The problem is twofold:
    1) I can't find access to any of the fonts they use.
    2) They use three different goddamn fonts across the two images with letters.

The "main title" font (predictably) has CMOX. The "subtitle" font has EKMNOUWY. The "service patch" font has CDFGILVNO. Notice no As (which is why I have an upside V). I'll keep looking for a unified font.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Something like?
    wangcom.png

Not really bright enough, but it's a quick hack job in gimp, so that's what you get =P

Xaviar on
This discussion has been closed.