As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    That logo does have the unfortunate side effect of reading as some sort of Buddhist masturbatory mantra.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    I think I'm the only person in the world planning on putting my base in South America - everything else seems to have real value and S. Am looks like the donkey prize...which means that it's the real prize.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I really hope that the "Humanity's Saviour" (Complete the game on Impossible) and "No Looking Back" (Complete the game in Ironman mode on either Classic or Impossible) achievements are as hard as they sound,
    the latter one will probably become my white whale.

Man, there is alot of movie references in the achievements too, just from the top of my head - Robocop, LOTR, Terminator Salvation, The Fifth Element and X-Men.

It's a good list, brutal but not unfair or tedious.
    I think I'm the only person in the world planning on putting my base in South America - everything else seems to have real value and S. Am looks like the donkey prize...which means that it's the real prize.

I think South America will be most useful on the harder difficulties, when time is a valuable resource - having 2 types of research taking 0 time could prove very useful. You get the benefirs from said research instantly, when then frees up your scientists for other projects.

Just a theory though.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Finishing interrogations and disections instantly actually sounds pretty useful. I can imagine your scientists just dumping xeno corpses into an industrial shredder or something and sifting through the muck. Or playing good cop/bad cop in the interrogations.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Something like?
    wangcom.png

Not really bright enough, but it's a quick hack job in gimp, so that's what you get =P
    Wow, yeah, that's damn close. What decreased luminosity or brightness or whatever?

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Finishing interrogations and disections instantly actually sounds pretty useful. I can imagine your scientists just dumping xeno corpses into an industrial shredder or something and sifting through the muck. Or playing good cop/bad cop in the interrogations.

wait what

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Like this but with sectoid corpses:

http://youtu.be/D-wEEY_Qs3M

I can't imagine a faster way to tear something apart. That doesn't involve high explosives that is.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    The center-line on the letters should only be through the "COM" part of the logo. It's meant to replicate the old hyphen that used to separate X and COM.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    So have they indicated how the difficulty settings actually make things more difficult? I would hope it's not everything just has more hit points.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Apparently more aliens, tougher AI.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Good cop/bad cop is how the other continents play. South America puts the alien in an empty room and sends in Hannibal Lecter (he's still hiding in South America) with a steak knife and a bottle of Chianti. Before you know it little xenos spills his guts.

enc0re on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    So have they indicated how the difficulty settings actually make things more difficult? I would hope it's not everything just has more hit points.
    They've indicated that it's more complex than just ramping up HP, yes. In one of the videos, they said that while you could change the difficulty setting while already in the Battlescape, it wouldn't be the same thing as starting the mission on a harder difficulty.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Xbox 360 gameplay. Shows officer training school:
    GameSpot plays Xcom

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    So hyped for this. My new PC arrives Friday.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    wangcom.png

How's that.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Something like?
    wangcom.png

Not really bright enough, but it's a quick hack job in gimp, so that's what you get =P
    Wow, yeah, that's damn close. What decreased luminosity or brightness or whatever?

I used a couple subtractive layers to get the outliney look. I tried jacking the brightness back up, but it makes the highlights on the scanlines look... not good.

• Options
    What's the font type and how are you performing this magicccccccccccccccccccc

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »

Good cop/bad cop is how the other continents play. South America puts the alien in an empty room and sends in Hannibal Lecter (he's still hiding in South America) with a steak knife and a bottle of Chianti. Before you know it little xenos spills his guts.

Interrogations and dissections are being conducted by the descendants of Nazi scientists!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    1) Awesome logo work. Not sure if I prefer WANG-COM or X-WANG myself, though.
    2) Why is it not X-COM o'clock yet?
    3) Why is my Firestorm not yet produced? I have a Battleship buzzing my main base right now, and my Interceptors would just blow up in seconds if they went up against it.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    wangcom.png

How's that.

Dang beat me to it. Here was my shot at it.

pKV48.png

• Options
    I am jealous of your logosity

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Terror from the Wang?

Wang from the Deep?

UFO: Wang Unknown?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Covering Fire
    Support class ability -- Overwatch triggers on attacks as well as movement. I wonder if it interrupts or responds?

Looks pretty good.

I don't know why I spoilered that.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Oh my god, more terrible game player/reviewers.

Stop moving your sniper unnecessarily.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    I can't wait for the GB's quicklook where it will be amazing

I bet we will all blame brad

• Options
    Its just glows, blurs, burns and blending.

I got the font off dafont.com.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »
    I can't wait for the GB's quicklook where it will be amazing

I bet we will all blame brad

Ryan seems to be the one championing the game at the moment. I'm hoping Vinny joins him. And Dave.

• Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular
    A couple of new previews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NDUZNeVC1o

One in Russian, with English language version of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C9X0hQEU6s

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I prefer the second one myself.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I've never seen so many ''preview videos'' from game reviewers before. how many are there now? 15 seperate vids? and 3 at least from RPS?
    these guys are trolling now. there's no journalistic integrity to these reviews anymore.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I liked the first one better by itself, but I think the second one fits in better with the rest of it..

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Maybe recolour the first one to match the rest of the text?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I've never seen so many ''preview videos'' from game reviewers before. how many are there now? 15 seperate vids? and 3 at least from RPS?
    these guys are trolling now. there's no journalistic integrity to these reviews anymore.

Lots of these are in foreign languages and we also know the build they have isn't complete and stops at a certain point. I am finding it interesting seeing how different people are approaching the game already.

I just want the game for myself :(

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Second font in the darker colour of the first?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Goddammit I love PA dudes/dudettes.

Serious effort and discussion on how to get the perfect looking logo about wangs.

<3<3<3

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Wang from the Deep?

:shock:

• Options
    We take both wangs and the defence of the planet earth very, very seriously

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Are we talking about the 'Enemy Unknown' line?

Wangs are in Deep.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
This discussion has been closed.