As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conspiravision

LorkLork Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I was recently (as in about a year ago) introduced to The X-Files, and I discovered that I love elaborate conspiracies in my entertainment. Particularly the ones that real crazy people will bug you about. Every few episodes, they would expose a tiny bit of information about their convoluted mashup of popular theories about aliens and the government or whatever, and I would eat it all up. I loved it so much that I kept watching the show even after it jumped the shark, and after that shark in turn jumped over another, smaller shark. I saw it through to the end, and when that didn't satisfy me, I began to look for other shows that would. I found absolutely nothing.

So I ask you, D&D: Where are the men in black on TV these days? You'd think this kind of thing would be popular given the current US administration. Am I just not looking in the right places?

PS: Don't you dare try to peddle your "real" conspiracy theories in here. I have no desire to read your poorly written thesis about how the government is putting chemicals in the water to make us forget that 9/11 was staged in order to kill Elvis. I just want to watch a few quirky but charismatic investigators slowly chip away at an adapted, highly expanded version of it.

Steam Profile: Lork
Lork on

• FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Flat Earth theory is absolutely hilarious.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Millennium was great, until they fucked up with the third season.

Big spoilers here:
    Because it wasn't going to be renewed for a third season, the shows writers had the world end, which was awesome. Then the studio changed its mind and renewed it, leaving a third season which made no sense as everyone was meant to be dead.

Duki on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The X-Files was seemingly unique because it covered so many areas. It seems like most other shows would only cover one or two to stick with a theme. I don't think you'll ever see another X-Files, sadly.

Edit: Because someone mentioned Millennium, there is the X-Files spin-off The Lone Gunmen. It lasted only one season, and half of those episodes were kinda bad, but the season finale showed huge promise. And then they canceled it.
    In a desperate attempt for closure, they had to kill off the Gunmen in the last season of the X-Files. It breaks my heart.
    Given another season, it would have really tightened up, found its groove, and filled the hole left by the withering X-Files.

Gim on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For some reason, the History Channel loves to devote an enormous amount of time to conspiracy theories, or at least they've become so the past two years or so.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    So I ask you, D&D: Where are the men in black on TV these days?

The real Question is where aren't the men in black?

questionbh4.jpg

ViolentChemistry on
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FOX News.

Just Like That on
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you dig back a bit, The Prisoner may be the type of thing you're after.

Zsetrek on
  • Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Here's my latest conspiracy...

I gave an American tech firm the keys to refining the gratzel solar cell design to the 42.8% efficency, the largest performance increase in the short history of the device. I also outlined a cheap solar cell manufacturing technique based on ink jet printers.

http://www.physorg.com/news104501218.html
    http://www.physorg.com/news103997338.html

I never recieved a response from my contact company following our few initial contacts and the suggested changes.

A year and a half later, the DARPA funded consortium of about a dozen universities, labs and private companies all announce their latest joint creation, a gratzel cell complete with my suggested changes, an apparent product of the virtual lab environment built with the $13 million provided by DARPA as part of a solar cell initiative. However, the changes I suggested were made in January of 2006, two months after DARPA announced the funding and long before the money was invested in building the 'virtual lab'.

One week before this was announced, the New Jersey Institute of Technology announced they'd developed the solar cell printing technique that I'd included in the email.

I'd hoped my suggestions would provide a benefit for all mankind, but right now the prime investors are the military as they search for ways to unburden their soldiers to make them more efficent killing/policing machines.

Not only that, but DARPA just pissed away $13 million of American taxpayers money on an idea that was thought up over two cups of coffee and handed to them for free.

Believe it... or not?

Che Guevara on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    specifically against the purposes of this thread.

specifically.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    The X-Files was seemingly unique because it covered so many areas. It seems like most other shows would only cover one or two to stick with a theme. I don't think you'll ever see another X-Files, sadly.

Edit: Because someone mentioned Millennium, there is the X-Files spin-off The Lone Gunmen. It lasted only one season, and half of those episodes were kinda bad, but the season finale showed huge promise. And then they canceled it.
    In a desperate attempt for closure, they had to kill off the Gunmen in the last season of the X-Files. It breaks my heart.
    Given another season, it would have really tightened up, found its groove, and filled the hole left by the withering X-Files.
    Yeah, I've seen The Lone Gunmen. Isn't weird how the episodes of the X-Files dedicated to them were so much better than anything in their actual show?

Also, although the first episode of Millennium didn't really grab me, I'll probably end up watching the whole thing simply because it takes place in the same "universe" as The X-Files. Yeah, I'm weak.
    Zsetrek wrote:
    I love the premise of that show, but the execution is way too dated for me. I think I'll just pray that the remake that's supposed to be in the works ends up good.
    Variable wrote: »

specifically.
    I vaguely remember him going on about his solar cell design here almost a year ago, so he might actually be serious, too.

Lork on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zsetrek wrote:
    I love the premise of that show, but the execution is way too dated for me. I think I'll just pray that the remake that's supposed to be in the works ends up good.

Try Nowhere Man. You can thank me later.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it's a shame the Gunmen floundered in its first season trying to find its own identity. I just need to find the alternate universe where the show is still on the air. Just need a little time.

Gim on
  • Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »

specifically.

I didn't say it was a real conspiracy.

Maybe I just made it up. 8-)

Lork -> For reals? I don't remember that.

Che Guevara on
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I ask you, D&D: Where are the men in black on TV these days?

for better or for (much) worse: DaVinci Code

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a shame the Gunmen floundered in its first season trying to find its own identity. I just need to find the alternate universe where the show is still on the air. Just need a little time.

It definitely had potential.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Zsetrek wrote:

That looks pretty cool. I'll definitely be checking it out when I get the chance.

One thing though - Wikipedia says that it was cancelled after the first season. Did they have enough of an advance warning to tie everything up, or does it just end abruptly? That kind of thing really bugs me.

Lork on
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Zsetrek wrote:

That looks pretty cool. I'll definitely be checking it out when I get the chance.

One thing though - Wikipedia says that it was cancelled after the first season. Did they have enough of an advance warning to tie everything up, or does it just end abruptly? That kind of thing really bugs me.

They more or less wrapped things up. I mean, the ending leaves a lot of questions open, but deliberately so.

Feral on

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Not only that, but DARPA just pissed away $13 million of American taxpayers money on an idea that was thought up over two cups of coffee and handed to them for free.

Believe it... or not?

DARPA hasn't been the same ever since their chief was replaced with Decoy Octopus.

Furu on
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I've seen The Lone Gunmen. Isn't weird how the episodes of the X-Files dedicated to them were so much better than anything in their actual show?

Some of the X-Files episodes with them were great (Three of a Kind), some were absolute shit (First Person Shooter).

At the very least, on their own show, we got to see more of how they interact. On the X-Files, all too often they were written as a single character. FPS is the worst example of this, where all three of them drool over a scantily clad chick in a video game. Langley, sure. Byers would be disgusted, and Frohike would just be perplexed. FPS gets a bit of a pass, it was written by William Gibson, and Gibson can't do believable characterization for shit... but it wasn't the only time it happened. Jump the Shark was another example...
    I could see Byers sacrificing himself for justice because he was just that much of an idealist. Frohike, too, since he was getting pretty long in the tooth. But not Langley - he was young and had the potential for a career and restarting the newsletter. He just sort of came along for the ride.

Feral on

• thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Its neither TV nor even really "story like" but I feel compelled to recommend the books Delta Green and Delta Green: Countdown. They're RPG supplements for Call of Cthulhu (i.e, Lovecraft roleplaying) but I've always ignored all of that in favor of the amazingly well researched and interesting writing. There are also a number of short story fiction collections based off of that source material though I haven't read any of them.

It's great conspiracy writing, with a nice Cthulhu twist. Better than the X-Files, in many ways.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm the same - I love me some conspiracy theories.

I'm struggling a little for a fix to satisfy me completely... But:

Lost - (I really dig the whole "what the hell is tha Dharma initiative?" thing. I'm not sure how this will play out.)
    24 - seriously, everyones in on it - ALWAYS. I like the twists.
    Da Vinci Code - fun read, very good at being just that - just dont get dragged into the whole "is it well written and thus deserving of our adoration" debate.

But really - I am finding it hard to find a reallygood conspiracy story to sink my teeth into.

Also... New X-files movie.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For some reason, the History Channel loves to devote an enormous amount of time to conspiracy theories, or at least they've become so the past two years or so.
    I think they've run out of history.

Picardathon on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    While not a TV show, the Illuminatus! trilogy is a damn fine work of conspiracy theory gone entertaining. Plus it keeps up a good pace to make you want to keep reading it.

moniker on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Believe it... or not?

DARPA hasn't been the same ever since their chief was replaced with Decoy Octopus.

Is he related to Revolver Ocelot?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well currently there's Jericho, Traveler, Prison Break, Heroes, Lost, and 24. Personally I've gotten tired of conspiracy theories on TV. Way too much cockteasing and not enough satisfying conclusions.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heroes was fucking amazing, you shut your god damn mouth.

Also Deus Ex.

electricitylikesme on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    i like the other conspiracy thread better.

also, heroes is assy.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.