As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    And the bugs in Online Mode that make it crash on entering, cause it to drop back to the title screen, fail to save scores that you spent hours trying to achieve, randomly erase scores that were previously saved, etc. Also the bug where the final boss is an unplayable mess, but that one affected consoles too...

Edit: I S-ranked that stupid Rouge mission, by the way. It's much less likely to crash if you avoid doing homing attacks and boosting, and kill as few of the robots as possible.
    But don't you HAVE to kill most of those robots to make the bridges appear?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Speaking of Wreck-It Ralph, he'll be in Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/07/13/comic-con-how-wreck-it-ralph-infiltrated-the-game-industry/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    And the bugs in Online Mode that make it crash on entering, cause it to drop back to the title screen, fail to save scores that you spent hours trying to achieve, randomly erase scores that were previously saved, etc. Also the bug where the final boss is an unplayable mess, but that one affected consoles too...

Edit: I S-ranked that stupid Rouge mission, by the way. It's much less likely to crash if you avoid doing homing attacks and boosting, and kill as few of the robots as possible.
    But don't you HAVE to kill most of those robots to make the bridges appear?

Well, you have to kill some of them. But you can avoid a whooooole bunch of them.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Is there a sonic cycle for re-released games?
    ;)
    COME ON SEGA, THINK ABOUT IT! ONLINE CHAO BATTLES.
    HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Is there a sonic cycle for re-released games?
    ;)
    COME ON SEGA, THINK ABOUT IT! ONLINE CHAO BATTLES.
    HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG!

And then no one in the Sonic Thread played anything else ever again. :P

soempty.jpg
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Going to need a new thread before long...

Anyway, I'm curious: What makes the PC version of Sonic Generations the definitive one?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Going to need a new thread before long...

Anyway, I'm curious: What makes the PC version of Sonic Generations the definitive one?

The fact that it can run at 60fps. At least for the 2D sections, the console version at 30fps compared to the PC version at 60fps is night and day.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    For me, it's the framerate.

I've had the decent PC for a couple years now, but Generations is the first time I've ever really noticed the difference between 30 and 60 fps. It just runs a whole lot better on PC than it does on either console.

That said, it does have a few negatives to it! The Online mode is thoroughly borked, I can't get it working nowadays at all. And for some reason, the internal copy of Sonic 1 was removed. So the overall package is weaker on PC, but the core gameplay plays better.

Oh brilliant
    edited July 2012
    It's really a shame, because the online mode is what keeps me coming back. I haven't run into any major crashing bugs myself, but it's still pretty finicky.

I don't know why they included Sonic 1 in the console version anyway. It's available on 360, PS3 and PC as a digital download, so you can buy it if you want it, and with the PC version of Generations constantly going on sale for <=$15, you'll still come out ahead.

mntorankusu on
    Sonic isn't just in Wreck-It Ralph, he's got a speaking role:

http://www.toonzone.net/2012/07/18534/

Looks like Ryu and Ken will have a speaking role as well.

Awesome.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Agh no! Spoilers!

Anyway, hello thread! I was pleasantly surprised at how fun Sonic Generations was (thank you Steam Sale)! Are there other Sonic games as fun as this one?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Agh no! Spoilers!

Anyway, hello thread! I was pleasantly surprised at how fun Sonic Generations was (thank you Steam Sale)! Are there other Sonic games as fun as this one?

Modern? I think the consensus is probably not, but Sonic Colors is fun if you've got a Wii and the daytime bits of Unleashed are good as long as you don't mind the werehog and other unnecessary crap.

Oh, there's lots of mixed feelings about Sonic 4 too, so try a demo first. Some people are fine with the physics, some people are driven crazy by them.

Agh no! Spoilers!

Of the modern games? ;D

Avoid Sonic 06 at all costs.
    Sonic Unleashed is half the Modern style, but much faster & (imo) harder to play well. The other half is super dull. Get it on 360 or PS3, not Wii!
    Sonic Colours is fantastic, though Wii Exclusive. It's much slower than Generations, but involves a lot of cool powerup gimmicks and some great level design.

The older 3D games were not so great.

If you want more Classic style, Sonic CD is often skipped over, and it's one of the best. It's on Steam right now, hella cheap! Sonic 3+K is the finest of the older games, imo. Sonic 4 and Episode II are new games in the style of the classic ones, and they're not up to the same standard, but still plenty fun in their own right (Episode II especially is a big improvement over the first)

Oh brilliant
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I find it funny that as I progressed through the game I liked 3D more than I did regular Sonic. Erm...anyway, I think I might give Sonic Colors a try.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Sonic Adventure is, with all its flaws, still an awesome game, and I will continue to hold this opinion no matter how wrong the rest of the internet is.

Also, it's super cheap on PSN/XBLA/Steam.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Sonic Adventure is, with all its flaws, still an awesome game, and I will continue to hold this opinion no matter how wrong the rest of the internet is.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

The Steam version is terrible. If you must play it on PC, look for the 2004ish release. The Steam version is the older release ported to console, then back to PC. You'd be playing a port of a port of a port. You can imagine the horror.

If you can't, it's locked at 640x480 and upscales to "HD" with a terrible blurry filter and bars on the side. Maybe the XBLA/PSN versions are slightly better, but I doubt it.

I also stand by what I imagine management saying during development of the original game.
    Frem wrote: »
    1: "Oh, hey! I know guys. Let's put in mandatory pinball and on-rails shooting segments! We should also make the temple with switches and panels and things, so it plays like Zelda, except harder to control. Put in some random mirrors, too. How will people know we have a next-gen console if our game doesn't have mirrors in it?"
    2: "But sir, won't putting in all those random gameplay mechanics take away from time we could be spending making more levels or ensuring that the player isn't dying due to random bugs?"
    1 (glares): "..."
    2: "Mirrors! And kart racing! Everyone loves kart racing."

Frem on
    Question: I have a near-complete single-player file of Sonic 4 Episode II. Is it possible to bring in a second player on that?

I tried multiplayer, and it had me start again at the beginning. And I couldn't find a way to get a second player in on an in-progress single-player game.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

The Steam version is terrible. If you must play it on PC, look for the 2004ish release. The Steam version is the older release ported to console, then back to PC. You'd be playing a port of a port of a port. You can imagine the horror.

If you can't, it's locked at 640x480 and upscales to "HD" with a terrible blurry filter and bars on the side. Maybe the XBLA/PSN versions are slightly better, but I doubt it.
    Though, there is a mod that can fix this. Information about it can be found in the steam forums. It does look rather nice afterwards.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

I also stand by what I imagine management saying during development of the original game.
    1: "Oh, hey! I know guys. Let's put in mandatory pinball and on-rails shooting segments! We should also make the temple with switches and panels and things, so it plays like Zelda, except harder to control. Put in some random mirrors, too. How will people know we have a next-gen console if our game doesn't have mirrors in it?"
    2: "But sir, won't putting in all those random gameplay mechanics take away from time we could be spending making more levels or ensuring that the player isn't dying due to random bugs?"
    1 (glares): "..."
    2: "Mirrors! And kart racing! Everyone loves kart racing."

Pinball isn't mandatory in Sonic Adventure. It's much easier, and much quicker, to get the required number of rings by going into the sewers, which plays like a normal act.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sonic Rush is pretty damned good, although hardly a "modern" game these days. I've never played the sequel, but TSR said it has strong level design if I remember correctly.

YL9WnCY.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Sonic Rush is pretty damned good, although hardly a "modern" game these days. I've never played the sequel, but TSR said it has strong level design if I remember correctly.

I enjoyed Rush Adventure a lot more than Rush, despite the boating minigames. It doesn't start throwing you into bottomless pits until the last level or two of the game. :P

Is anyone else having trouble getting into this thread? It's been taking maybe 30 seconds to load for me today, while other threads open in a few seconds.

soempty.jpg
    Fourms are loading slowly today..

Anyway bottomless pits near the end are a staple to sonic games. (Handheld ones anyway)

Sonic Advance-Launch Base Zone
    Sonic Advance 2-Techno Base

Three probably had some, never really paid attention to three...
    I'd take Rush over Rush Adventure any day.

Rorus Raz wrote: »

The biggest change is that you're pretty safe to boost and jump into the abyss in Sonic Rush Adventure, because there aren't many bottomless pits compared to Sonic Rush. At the time, it was excellent, but compared to stuff like Sonic Generations (360/PS3/PC), it's not quite as great.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    heenato wrote: »

Though, there is a mod that can fix this. Information about it can be found in the steam forums. It does look rather nice afterwards.

Upon investigation, the "mod" on the Steam forums unpacks to 1.3 GB and appears to contain the entirety of 2004 version, complete with the GameGear games removed from the Steam version. It might be missing a few files that are the same in the Steam version, but we're talking about a few kilobytes there.

I dunno. Is it really a mod if you're just pirating the older port?

Frem on

Upon investigation, the "mod" on the Steam forums unpacks to 1.3 GB and appears to contain the entirety of 2004 version, complete with the GameGear games removed from the Steam version. It might be missing a few files that are the same in the Steam version, but we're talking about a few kilobytes there.

I dunno. Is it really a mod if you're just pirating the older port?
    Really? Jeeze. I didn't know THAT.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited August 2012
    Time for my bi-monthly attempt at playing Sonic Generations online mode!

Nope, still fucked.

At this point, I'm tempted to try the "delete Friends List" method. But. I'd rather not. :<

EDIT; woah. Just got it working. But at a terrible price.

Lowered all graphical settings, boom, Online mode suddenly works. But now everything looks like hammered shit. D:

EDIT2; put it back up to proper resolution and turned v-sync on, the 2 main things to make it look pretty, and now I can load up and play a level Online, but it'll crash on the results screen.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    I can't find the Sonic ASRT topic, so I'll post this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7XKfkhVGHE

new trailer. The afterburner track in the beginning is the stuff magic is made of. That track looks so awesome!

edited August 2012
    Here you go. And I'm looking forward to that Afterburner track as well.

IGN also has a preview of the Wii U version. It will have that slide-to-controller thing, and when that's not in use, the GamePad will display map, ranks, and even show where your weapons are going (like the explosive remote-controlled cars).

Classic and Pro controllers are supported, the GamePad can be used like a steering wheel, and also for mini-games. The one described has AiAi trying to squish the other racers with his ball.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Bionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMBionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM Registered User regular
    Anybody excited for Sonic Adventure 2 HD?

• AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Sonic Adventure 2? Nope. That is the one Sonic game that I've tried and never finished. I somehow couldn't get past one of the late-game rail sections...something set in low-earth orbit, maybe? Anyway, I tried...and tried...and tried...to beat that damn level and never could. :(

Anybody excited for Sonic Adventure 2 HD?

Kind of? No matter how I feel about the story, I enjoyed the gameplay and Chao garden stuff back when it was new. I'm a little worried that revisiting it will wreck my good memories but at least it seems like it's getting a better treatment than SA1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djEvgUUF7KA

I'll never stop loving this corny trailer, though!

soempty.jpg
  • Bionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMBionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM Registered User regular
    The Ark levels are kind of shitty. It's a shame because with a few adjustments to the camera and controls that game could be a lot better than it is. That game was an important part of my childhood though. I played through it too many times to count because it was one if the only Sonic games I could play (I only owned a Gamecube).

The smaller treasure hunting levels are pretty cool. It's when you get to Mad Space that it starts to get incredibly frustrating because of how big the level is. The more straightforward Tails/Eggman levels are pretty cool too but they eventually get to be way too long and mundane. The Sonic/Shadow levels are pretty awesome though, except for the last Shadow level where you go twisting around those stupid gravity pillars and it feels like you could fly off and die at any moment....

Speaking of SA2..

pumpkinhillsmall.png

An adorable snippet from an Ashley Davis comic for a Sonic zine that released at SPX. I unashamedly love Pumpkin Hill.

soempty.jpg
    THE GREAT EMERALDS POWAH ALLOWS ME TO feel

• AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    That game was an important part of my childhood though....(I only owned a Gamecube).

Oh. My.

I feel so old right now.

Thanks.

AnakinOU on
    Have they said whether or not the HD version will have the extras from SA2 battle? Watching your cute little blob beat the snot out of other cute little blobs in Chao Karate will be missed, otherwise.

soempty.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Have they said whether or not the HD version will have the extras from SA2 battle? Watching your cute little blob beat the snot out of other cute little blobs in Chao Karate will be missed, otherwise.

as DLC, yes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    According to Eurogamer, the battle extras are going to be available as DLC for 240 points.