As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Wareaucracy!

Sorry, (6) Warfare.

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    MrBody, are you selecting (6) Warfare II, or (8) Bureaucracy?

both.jpg

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Hehe! The Warfare of Bureaucracy?

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    I'm predicting a humdinger of a political card from Naalu this turn. Why else pick Assembly when you're already the speaker? o_O
    (especially with that juicy Technology + bonus on the table)

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    You'd think, naalu is pretty low on influence however. Not sure what to expect.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I may just be bad at this, & all, games.

• Options
    I'd like to think your currently trying to kill your own species. To soon?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I'm trying to assimilate into The Mindnet.

• Options
    stever777 wrote: »
    I'm trying to assimilate into The Mindnet.

I can help with that! :D

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    We don't offer much vacation time, but we have an outstanding health care benefits program.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm away from my computer so formatting is a pain, but if you imagine this is blue and bold you'll get the drift:

The Universities Select 4 - Production.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Round 3: Start of Action Phase

The Naalu Collective: Select (3) Assembly Strategy Card.
    L1z1x plays Action Card "Synchronicity", allowing them to draw an Action Card of their choice out of the remaining deck (AC 4 --> 4).
    The L1z1x Mindnet: Select (7) Technology II Strategy Card, converting the bonus counter into a Command Counter placed in Command Pool (CP 2 --> 3).
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Select (2) Diplomacy II Strategy Card, converting the bonus counter into a Command Counter placed in Strategy Allocation (SA 2 --> 3).
    The Embers of Muaat: Select (1) Leadership Strategy Card.
    The Yin Brotherhood: Select (6) Warfare II Strategy Card.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Select (4) Production Strategy Card.

A bonus counter is placed on the (5) Trade and (8) Bureaucracy Strategy Cards.

Order of Play
    The Naalu Collective: (0) Assembly Current Turn
    The Embers of Muaat: (1) Leadership
    The Ghosts of Creuss: (2) Diplomacy
    Universities of Jol-Nar: (4) Production
    The Yin Brotherhood: (6) Warfare
    The L1z1x Mindnet: (7) Technology II

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Naalu

I activate the primary ability of the (3) Assembly Strategy Card & wait to receive cards.

• Options
    Naalu

(3) Assembly Strategy Card

Choosing option b) Choose one other player to claim the Speaker token.
    Play a Political Card from your hand and resolve its agenda.
    You must select a player that is not currently Speaker.

I choose The L1z1x Mindnet to claim the Speaker token.
    I choose to bring "Mining Operations" to a vote.

Mining Operations
    For: Each player gains 4 Trade Goods for each system he controls that is adjacent to one or more Asteroid Fields.
    Against: Each player discards 2 Trade Goods.

• Options
    That's a nice pair of presents you're handing the L1z1x there (speaker and 8 trade goods). They kidnap your space-eggs or something?

• Options
    We're buds.

• Options
    Uh huh. Buds enough that you're handing him a double-fistful of TGs and first choice at Strategy Cards next round (and giving yourself last choice, by the way). I wish I had buds like you.

• Options
    Creuss votes AGAINST the agenda

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Huuuuuuuuh? You picked Assembly when you were already the speaker so you could play a political card (that has no chance of passing) that would doubly benefit a close border militaristic neighbor and then made said neighbor speaker therefore setting yourself up for last pick next turn?

Uhhh....okay o_O

Yin votes AGAINST agenda.

(Just trying to give some advice here, but you realize the play you made? You had first pick, used it to give yourself another first pick, then used that to give yourself last pick.)

MrBody on
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    (Just trying to give some advice here, but you realize the play you made? You had first pick, used it to give yourself another first pick, then used that to give yourself last pick.)

Well, when you put it that way...

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    You guys realize that Naalu always goes first, regardless of what Strategy he has, right?

And hey - maybe he got that "rip off a player for half his TGs card" so he WANTS us to get rich.
    Anyway, we thank the Naalu for the Speaker token.

L1z1X votes FOR the agenda

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Naalu votes FOR the agenda

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    My vote is for sale.

Too bad it would not help you anyway.

Just putting that out there for future meetings.

Muaat abstains

I do not understand, why would you care about cold rocks?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Would having @Void Slayer vote FOR tip it or no? I don't know what the vote looks like atm. I think L1z1x would totally cut you in on some TGs if your vote somehow swings a passing vote. :P

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    No, I have 6 votes and the split (assuming the Creuss vote against) would be 17-31.

You would need to bribe two people, and I do not see the Cruess voting to get you more resources.

We should probably slow down and vote in order on the council things since the order actually matters.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    No, I have 6 votes and the split (assuming the Creuss vote against) would be 17-31.

You would need to bribe two people, and I do not see the Cruess voting to get you more resources.

We should probably slow down and vote in order on the council things since the order actually matters.

I agree. How can I properly bribe you people if you all vote willy-nilly?

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Here a new deal L1z1x.

Give me your 2 Trade goods before the secondary effect goes through and I'll hand you back 1 TG. You have nothing to loose a tiny bit to gain.

Also change to Muaat changes to For, if I still can, since I just realized you cost me 2 TGs stever777!

• Options
    Yup, there's a downside to voting against.

• Options
    Here a new deal L1z1x.

Give me your 2 Trade goods before the secondary effect goes through and I'll hand you back 1 TG. You have nothing to loose a tiny bit to gain.

Also change to Muaat changes to For, if I still can, since I just realized you cost me 2 TGs stever777!

I thought we had to wait till it was our turn to pass over TGs? Also, what good does this deal do me if you're tiny votes don't swing the proposal? :P

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Well, I am just trying to do damage control at this point.

The bank of Muaat will gladly accept your trade goods as well and send some portion of them back of one or greater after the agenda resolves.

• Options
    Really? I thought trade goods could be given at any time.

Huh, you know what, I am gonna go back and read the whole damn manual again.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    You guys realize that Naalu always goes first, regardless of what Strategy he has, right?

I'm talking strategy picks. That's kind of the whole point of picking Assembly, aside from wanting to play a killer political card, but even in that case you can give the speaker town to the player on your right so you'd get 2nd pick. You get to play your card no matter who you give the speaker to, giving it to the player that would put you at last picks...doesn't sound like the best plan. You sure you guys aren't working out secret backroom deals? o_O

Passing this proposal is going to dump a ton of resources on the two players with the richest planet resource base. Do we really want to make the rich richer? Everyone losing 1 TG sounds like the better deal.

And man if you're gonna demand bribes, go big. L1z1x is going to get a 9 TG swing if this passes, and you're only demanding 2? One of which you'll give back? Demand at least 3 if not 4. Have some bribe pride.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Trade Goods may be traded at any time, as noted in the Odds and Ends section of the opening post.

As for the voting, here's where we currently stand:

The Ghosts of Creuss: 11 votes - AGAINST
    The Embers of Muaat: 6 votes - ABSTAIN
    The Yin Brotherhood: 12 votes - AGAINST
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 13 votes
    The Naalu Collective: 9 votes - FOR
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 8 votes - FOR

I'm counting Muaat's first vote as canon, so that we don't get into vote switching shenanigans later down the line. Remember that you are allowed to negotiate before establishing your vote, so there's no need to be hasty.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    So Jol-Nar is the Swing Vote then?

@GrimmyTOA want some TGs for your vote? :D

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    With the votes as they are the decision is up to Jol-Nar, Muaat doesn't have enough influence to throw the vote either way so any TGs they got in bribe money are more than they deserve, so aiming low probably made more sense.

Accepting TGs from l1z1z validates a terrible play by the Naalu and sets a bad precedent. They could have named Jol-Nar speaker, would have helped both them and you. Instead they consolidated power in the l1z1x-if you end up taking a bribe I would set it at 6TGs and then there is no guarantee you get any.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    With the votes as they are the decision is up to Jol-Nar, Muaat doesn't have enough influence to throw the vote either way so any TGs they got in bribe money are more than they deserve, so aiming low probably made more sense.

Accepting TGs from l1z1z validates a terrible play by the Naalu and sets a bad precedent. They could have named Jol-Nar speaker, would have helped both them and you. Instead they consolidated power in the l1z1x-if you end up taking a bribe I would set it at 6TGs and then there is no guarantee you get any.

I'm totally OK with validating terrible tactical decisions. :)

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Yeah, we've not been able to talk about this situation yet. I hate to go all unilateral on caliber... but in the interests of moving things along I'll do so.

Stever, if you'd made us speaker we'd have needed no bribe. As it is, we'd have to set our price so high that neither you nor L1zetc would be willing to pay it without really hating us in return.

The asteroid field is declared a nature preserve in perpetuity.

Against

• Options
    The agenda fails to pass, and all players discard 2 Trade Goods (Yin discarding only 1 because that's all they have). Since nobody has any exhausted planets, we skip past the secondary ability and the turn passes to @Void Slayer for the Muaat.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    asplannedrd3.jpg

• Options
    stever777 wrote: »
    asplannedrd3.jpg
    picardfacepalm_zps031c67a9.jpg

- Terence McKenna