As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excelsior! [Who Wants to Be a Superhero?]

ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's back everyone!

Thursdays at 9:00 EST, it's Who Wants to Be a Superhero?, Sci-Fi's show that proves that overacting, obvliousness and Stan Lee's giant head can swirl together to form a jumbalaya of campy delight. Last year saw eager Feedback overcome towering heights, Vin Diesel's retarded doppleganger, and his borderline psychotic father fixation of Stan Lee to win his own comic book series (which I have never seen in any store, ever) and an upcomming Sci-Fi original movie. This year, the winner gets all of the above, and his own action figure! Oh the joy!

This Season's Delusional Mental Patients:

The Defuser: (AKA Police Detective Jarret Crippen) Sort of like Batman, without the butler or Bat-theme, or the family fortune (but that's not left out!). Fights crime with non-lethal gadgets, and refuses to use firearms. He's shaping up to be Tyveculus 2.0. Maybe he'll last longer. He also has night vision!
Weaknesses: Bright light, not yelling at people

Miss Limelight: (AKA barista Trisha Paytas) Remember how Feedback apparently got his powers from playing video games? Miss Limelight does that with TV and movie stars. She can acquire the powers of any actor or actress she sees on TV, which means her range of usefulness goes from Jack Bauer to that guy in the Sour Skittles commercial who can produce sour milk.
Weaknesses: Her legs are very sensitive

Hyper-Strike: (AKA circus performer John Stork) A martial artist who, apart from actually knowing martial arts and having the flexibility of, well, a circus performer, can turn his sweat into weapons, some how, and manipulate chi. He reminds me of Monkey Girl.
Weaknesses: He's basically retarded

Whip-Snap: (AKA security guard Paula Thomas) As if looking like a transexual dominatrix wasn't enough, she has to pursue the illusion by using a whip. She derives her strength from the warmpth of the Earth.
Weaknesses: Cold Temperatures, being mistaken for Rupaul

Mindset: (AKA cashier Phillip Allen) A time traveler sent from the future to prevent the evil Galactic Starlord Sigmus from destroying humanity! Really! He was voted on the show by the internet, because the internet loves putting akward fat people on national TV (see: TheFireman). His superpowers are telekinesis and being super-smart. I kind of like him.
Weaknesses: Our modern Earth diseases, being fat

Basura: (AKA artist Aja De Coudreaux) Her name means trash in spanish, so naturally, she controlls insects. She lives in a junk filled cave, and fights self-doubt. She's also has the the ability to psychically trace the history of objects she touches.
Weaknesses: If I read her profile right, she gets horny to the point of distraction. I hope I am.

Mr. Mitzvah: (AKA millionaire Ivan Wilzig) Jewish Bruce Wayne, alright! His only gadget is a paddle with the Star of David on it which deflects attacks, first given to David by God after he slew Goliath. Sure to be a hit when the superheroes have to go and explain their powers to at a Hebrew School. He talks like every old Jewish person you've ever met.
Weaknesses: Pork chops, milk with meat, ect. Srsly.

Braid: (AKA ex-CIA agent Crystal Clark) A shapeshifter from another planet, or something, whose hair turns into tentacles. Her arch-nemesis is Toober Dac, an evil alien from the galaxy of Damn Nation. I guess being in the CIA wasn't exciting enough for her. Eliminated for being a self-centered bitch.
Weaknesses: Getting her hair cut, Stan Lee's glaring disdain

Parthenon: (AKA college administrator Dan Williams) You know, this guy's concept is actually pretty interesting. You should read it for yourself here. His nemesis is named Victor Triumph. Also, he's gay. Parthenon, not his nemesis. No one with the name Victor Triumph could possibly be gay.
Weaknesses: Limitations built into his power sources

Hygena: (AKA homemaker Melody Mooney) Well hello there Fat Momma! Wait, when did you get white and a new gimmick? She fights grime and crime, a fact she insists on repeating as much as possible. She uses cleaning implements for defeat evil. Given the fact that the commercials have shown her standing in front of her giant comic book cover mock-up, chances are good that she'll be in it for the long run.
Weaknesses: The Wall of Funk, whatever that means. She also appears to have OCD.

The first episode was a mere introduction to the trials that await. yet still gave copious opportunity for Mr. Mitzvah to be an asshole, and for the Defuser to yell at people. Next week? Deadly deadly bees!

In conclusion:

He's gonna be a star!

BrawlSig.gif
Zampano on

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    God, Stan Lee must be really, really bored.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Needs more

MajorVictory.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How many episodes have aired? I forgot this was coming back and I need to set it to DVR. I did see the comic book that was released for Feedback (i think that's who won). It was pretty craptacular and wasn't getting my comic book money.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I hope we don't have another "I'm gonna kill myself if I don't win" guy.

Yeah, less Feedback, more Captain Victory.
    WHERE IS THIS CHILD'S MOTHER!?!

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Werewulfy wrote: »
    Man, I hope we don't have another "I'm gonna kill myself if I don't win" guy.

Yeah, less Feedback, more Captain Victory.
    WHERE IS THIS CHILD'S MOTHER!?!

I watch that clip once a week on my iPod. The pointing, THE POINTING. Major Victory has magic all about him.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    UncleChet wrote: »
    How many episodes have aired? I forgot this was coming back and I need to set it to DVR. I did see the comic book that was released for Feedback (i think that's who won). It was pretty craptacular and wasn't getting my comic book money.

Currently just the first episode.

Anyway I thought it was pretty good and I'll totally watch this all the way through like last time.
    Two of the cast play City of Heroes quite regularly.. see if you can figure out which ones!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Anyway I thought it was pretty good and I'll totally watch this all the way through like last time.
    Two of the cast play City of Heroes quite regularly.. see if you can figure out which ones!

I'm guessing Mindset and Parthenon. Both have that extra touch of nerditity you can see in superhero fans.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »

I'm guessing Mindset and Parthenon. Both have that extra touch of nerditity you can see in superhero fans.

1 out of 2 isn't bad. :P

The correct answer was Mindset
    and believe it or not but the 38 year old cop, The Defuser, was the other..

Bet you didn't see that one coming! What a twist!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How.... how does this show come back for another season?

People actually watched it? Or did they just say they did to be a silly goose to tv ratings people ?

So... your superpower is your hair becomes long tenticles and hentai rapes people... how do they deal with the fact that this never actually happens ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    C'mon! I loved this series last year. Yeah, it's extremely corny and campy and reminiscent of a comic book convention gone way too long, but it's more entertaining than most of the other reality shows out there.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    Strange AttractorStrange Attractor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Major Victory was the best thing to happen to TV in a long time. God I loved that guy.

Strange Attractor on
    Hi.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Basura's costume is awesome. Some of her powers remind me of Gladiator.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey, wasn't Feedback supposed to get a role in a Sci-Fi Channel movie or something?

Also if Major V. doesn't make a cameo I will have to take drastic measures.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He did, but I'm not sure if it was ever released.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I watched this last night. Plus the marathon of season 1.

Not that bad, considering that horrible cosplay is basically inevitable and that we're working on a Sci-Fi budget. Also, Feedback scares me.

He could be in my Wii right now.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feedback's movie is suppose to be airing pretty soon, actually. Though you'd think they'd have been showing commercials for it.

What I don't get is how these people can be so oblivious this season to Stan Lee's machinations. In this first episode, their superhero SUV had its tires removed, and they had to replace them. But while that was going on, there was an old lady trying to get her walker out of her car, a guy trying to carry boxes, and a dog sitting under a poster with its picture on it, and the words "LOST DOG". Did these people even watch the show? I can understand if a couple didn't notice, but only 3 out fo the 10 tried to help. If I were on that show, that's the kind of stuff I'd be looking for first and foremost.

Maybe they screened these people first for maximum obfuscation.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Buzz BuzzBuzz Buzz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seemed like most of them were too busy being sheep, following Defuser's lead at all times. If Defuser says it's time to change the tires, then it's time to change the tires, even if that means that your job is to stand around and do nothing.

The woman with the walker was really the only one that they absolutely should have noticed. After all, she was right next to their vehicle. The guy carrying boxes was probably second most obvious, since he looked like he was trying to make it apparent that he was having trouble. The dog was just sitting there, and with all the excitement caused by Defuser's shouts of power, it doesn't seem that peculiar that they completely missed the dog.

Poor dog.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just a heads up in case anyone is really into the crazies on the show for some reason, but there's an interview with the gay dude here.

It basically boils down to "I'm a gay, ask me how!" (Like all interviews on AfterElton/Ellen) but he talks about the show a bit, too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Seemed like most of them were too busy being sheep, following Defuser's lead at all times. If Defuser says it's time to change the tires, then it's time to change the tires, even if that means that your job is to stand around and do nothing.

The woman with the walker was really the only one that they absolutely should have noticed. After all, she was right next to their vehicle. The guy carrying boxes was probably second most obvious, since he looked like he was trying to make it apparent that he was having trouble. The dog was just sitting there, and with all the excitement caused by Defuser's shouts of power, it doesn't seem that peculiar that they completely missed the dog.

Poor dog.

Isn't that why Stan said it's one thing to not notice something and another to actively ignore it.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought The Defuser was pretty cool, even if he was a little too leader-y. Also I second the comments on Basura.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Feedback movie, or at least the movie in which Feedback makes an appearance, Mega Snake, is premiering on August 25th.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, I'm a BIG fan of Hyper Strike.

Inx on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So how much of this show is scripted, and how much of this show is improv?

I was watching an episode a while back when a giant net came down upon the heroes, and the next thing we knew, they were all locked up in a giant tank. And I just laugh at the thought that a few of them immeadiately reacting by trying to break out, only to be told by the producers, "Uh... no. Stop doing that!"

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Meh.

Call me when it's Who Wants to be a Supervillain?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Theres probably a significant amount of scripting, but I really don't care. I'd have tried out myself had the filming not been right at the end of the semester, like, just before finals.

And I've been saying from the start that there should be Who Wants to Be a Supervillain. The challenges would be all about how far you're willing to go for eeeevil.

And stealing candy from babies.

And screwing over your fellow contestants.

And evil.

Inx on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Inx wrote: »
    Theres probably a significant amount of scripting, but I really don't care. I'd have tried out myself had the filming not been right at the end of the semester, like, just before finals.

And I've been saying from the start that there should be Who Wants to Be a Supervillain. The challenges would be all about how far you're willing to go for eeeevil.

And evil.

Who would run it though? I can't imagine Stan Lee sitting there going "STEAL THAT CANDY!"

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Who would run it though? I can't imagine Stan Lee sitting there going "STEAL THAT CANDY!"

McFarlane?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

McFarlane?

But is he interesting enough to be the host of the show?

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, I don't mind that it's scripted either, since it seems to be a morality tale than for the sake of contrived drama. I remember watching a wrestler once who said in an interview, "You know, a lot of people walk up to me and say, 'you're a fake and a phoney.' But no one ever walks up to me and says, 'Hey, you know, you're a great performer.'"

But I'm wondering how much leeway the actors have. Like in one (brilliant) episode from last season, Stan Lee has a supervillain spy on the heroes to see if they'll review their secret identity, and one of the girls states that she's an actress who heard about the show from a reality tv show audition website. And Stan did his brilliant, "You're an actress? You told me you were a real estate agent! You lied to me!" And like, of course they knew that she was an actress. But did they script her to reveal her that she was an actress? Or did they expect her to improv, and this was their way of punishing her for breaking out of character?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I stopped watching this year after two episodes. The show's concept is too tongue in cheek to work for one person eliminated per episode - last year's two per ep worked much better. Also, the characters are much worse this year (how do you even get admitted to a superhero show without knowing what your powers are?) and part of me wonders if they bothered doing interviews again this year or just picked the second string from last year, which would explain the lack of Major Victory level characters.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think Ms. Limelight got on the same way Lumina (sp?) got on last year. She was put up on the website and people voted online for her to be on the show.

I like that they have some villians right off the bat, but the heroes aren't hamming it up like they did last year. The guys last year knew they were being complete dorks and LOVED it. This year's batch looks like they just want to be on TV and don't seem to want to cross over into the "dork" realm. So far, it looks too much like Big Brother or the Real World.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

And evil.

The thing about the show that always makes me scratch my head is that they talk of all the hero's Stan Lee created, but they never talk about his villains.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MOTHER LOVING MAJOR VICTORY MAN

HE SHOULDVE WON

SCREW YOU STAN LEE, YOU LET THE EMO KID WIN

AGHH!

Lee was all, "You took off your cape, Victory. Spiderman would never take off his mask!"

OH SHI- WATS THAT STAN? MAJOR VICTORY'S SUPPORTERS SHOULD START A CIVIL WAR ? WHAT A GREAT IDEA

tl;dr Screw season 2. Season 1 ended wrong

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    But is he interesting enough to be the host of the show?

He has to be better than Seth.

Incenjucar on