As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MSPA: Hussmaster A raises 2 million trillion bajillion dollars

• Options
    EffefEffef Who said your opinion mattered, Jones? Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I anything, grey would have been a better color for the kids than the trolls if Hussie really wanted a truly aracial color for them. White is frequently used to represent caucasian...ism...ness.

And yes, I realize there is more to it than that, but the whole scenario showed a kind of ignorance on Hussie's part. His refusal to back down pretty much ever didn't help.

Why is Racestuck a thing again? That was last January.

tarot deck official art is all white and people are mad

homestuck...

its not really even that

the reason some cards in the deck are being redone is the people in charge of the product took a look at it of their own accord and realized that it didn't really represent how a lot of artists draw the characters (since it was done like, last year) so they offered the artists a chance to redo them how they wanted, and some artists are making characters POC because they wanted too

the kerfuffle comes in where some racist asshats complain about it by saying in so many words that black people are gross and they dont belong in homestuck

also the recent addition of a sticker pack to the KS with some characters as POCs and a whole lot of really gross comments

and thats my story

ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    One of the sticker sheets has Roxy as black and I think Dave as non-white (it's pixel art so hard to say exactly WHAT). I think that caused the issue alongside people digging up some of Hussie's old TSO comics.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Oh I didn't even know about any new drama. Just thought we were talking about the old drama.

I just don't understand why you'd even try to fix it. Literally the best way to handle it is to be "Yeah, you guys are right, sorry! Just didn't even think about it. I'll strive to be better in the future." Anyone getting pissed off at that point, assuming he actually does try, would be immediately an asshat.

Maybe instead of having them off to redraw, he could have made another option of cards with different artists picked that have depicted the characters in other ways? (and quite a few have, very excellently) It'd show his solidarity in his original artists, regardless of how they drew them, but also allow for a more varied approach. I dunno.

• Options
    EffefEffef Who said your opinion mattered, Jones? Registered User regular
    i think anyone with half a brain realizes those are facetious, i haven't actually seen anything about it on my dash

ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    Well, to be fair, they definitely look a certain way, and if you're already unsure about a dude it'd be pretty easy to look at those and take them at face value.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    hussie drew comics about Trans-Siberian Orchestra?

awesome

Adus on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i am apparently blind because i cannot for the life of me find the sticker sheet with black roxy on the kickstarter page

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Adus wrote: »
    hussie drew comics about Trans-Siberian Orchestra?

awesome
    They were really racist comics about the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Go to the updates thing.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    have you ever tried being racist

it's pretty cool

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    i wake up and i just yawn out a string of racial epithets

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    fuckin whitey has a monopoly on christmas rock music

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    check the [kickstarter!] update tab

I missed it at first too

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    If nothing else, they tried to give the characters a more diverse ethnic range in the album artwork, so clearly that's the Homestuck team's general intentions.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it does seem like the best thing to do would have been to say "haha whoops yeah i did just write a bunch of white people, sorry about that everyone. though in fairness you can think of them however you like"

but it's hard not to get defensive when people accuse you of being the big racist

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    How the situation probably should have been handled would for him to say "yeah, I guess you guys are right, but it would be pretty equally if not more shitty for me to just randomly introduce a new character of color or something just to try and balance it out."

FmDcB.png

broken image link
  • Options
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Honestly, I never thought the race of the kids was an issue until people pointed out that their portrayal could be interpreted as white.

I don't know whether to blame that on being a reasonable, edifying person, or if that's a consequence of all the white privilege.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    it does seem like the best thing to do would have been to say "haha whoops yeah i did just write a bunch of white people, sorry about that everyone. though in fairness you can think of them however you like"

but it's hard not to get defensive when people accuse you of being the big racist

He said something along the lines of "you're racist if you can only imagine the characters as white"
    And then today in the Kickstarter comments, people were insisting that the characters couldn't possibly be black because in their headcanon, all the characters are white. Also see: Hunger Games fandom getting mad about the movie casting.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    the only skin color I hate is gray:
    jjdxu.png

• Options
    How the situation probably should have been handled would for him to say "yeah, I guess you guys are right, but it would be pretty equally if not more shitty for me to just randomly introduce a new character of color or something just to try and balance it out."

FmDcB.png

i was gonna do exactly this

and then i forgot to

so good job fuzzbutt

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Considering at least half of us thought of John and or Jade as Asian, it seems odd to assume we defaulted to think of them as white. As for the comment in question, I thought it was referring to Dirk, not Dave.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

WTF am I reading these past 2 pages?

Seriously? We're seriously fighting about the skin color of the characters? Seri-fucking-ly?

• Options
    i don't think anyone here is fighting

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    A cynical person might interpret that thought as a little bit racist in and of itself, because of the teeth and glasses. You kinda can't ever win with justifications and this stuff.

• Options
    basically this whole argument could be avoided if everyone involved had only checked their privilege

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

WTF am I reading these past 2 pages?

Seriously? We're seriously fighting about the skin color of the characters? Seri-fucking-ly?

We're not; we're having a very civil discussion about race and Homestuck.

Tumblr, on the other hand...

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    A cynical person might interpret that thought as a little bit racist in and of itself, because of the teeth and glasses. You kinda can't ever win with justifications and this stuff.

yeeeeeeeeeeep

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular

Yeah, it's a pretty simple matter to interpret just about anything any way you want to. Some people just wanna get mad.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    That's the thing. There's no race.

• Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Let's go back to the good old days of talking about whether or not the characters are fat.

• Options
    well at least he doesn't have a flapping dickie

krusty-the-clown-flapping-dickie-bad-jokes.jpg

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    remember homestuck video game kickstarter comment sraceae wfeofjeawlkjf

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    it's so embarrassing when your dickie comes loose and smacks you right in the face

• Options
    Basically, if someone calls you on something, just ask their reasoning, consider that reasoning, and apologize as the case may be. (read: the case is probably going to be you should apologize, unless these people are angry at you because you can't understand how they're really a anthropomorphic hedgehog and how mortally offended they are you called em human)

• Options
    basically this whole argument could be avoided if everyone involved had only checked their privilege

I have to admit, this sort of thing freaks me out a bit when I'm writing. Like, should assign a race to my characters, even if it's just in my head? Or leave it vague and let people imagine it themselves (and ideally go for color blind casting for the movie adaptation?)

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    ewq,rnqweroizxuvxcvawteradfa racism clownwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Options
    Whyther wrote: »
    Let's go back to the good old days of talking about whether or not the characters are fat.

i figure jane's probably got a little girth goin' on

what with the baking and all

• Options
    ewq,rnqweroizxuvxcvawteradfa racism clownwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

you're gary

EzUAYcn.png
This discussion has been closed.