As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Steam thread is full, find the new one

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Depends; which set of friends have work schedules that are most similar to yours? Pick the group you'll have the most coop time with!

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So, Steam Thread

What is the best way to back up my games on steam in preparation for upgrading my CPU? I need to reformat, I guess, but can I just copy/paste my Steam folder onto a new HDD partition beforehand? I have super shitty internet, so I reeeeaaally don't want to redownload everything.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    So, Steam Thread

What is the best way to back up my games on steam in preparation for upgrading my CPU? I need to reformat, I guess, but can I just copy/paste my Steam folder onto a new HDD partition beforehand? I have super shitty internet, so I reeeeaaally don't want to redownload everything.

Delete everything in your steam folder apart from the Steam .exe itself and the steamapps folder. Copy that over to your backup folder and you're done!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    So then I just reinstall Steam and it fills in the blanks?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Shit, you can also just skip deleting anything and just copy the entire folder if you're super lazy, if you wanted. The thing is pretty remarkable in its capacity for not giving a fuck about its installation state.

Zxerol on
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, that's what I did already

but then I was like "Hmmm maybe this is actually a terrible fuckin idea"

I was imagining opening Steam afterwards to the tune of some sort of ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS error message

THESPOOKY on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    So, Steam Thread

Delete everything in your steam folder apart from the Steam .exe itself and the steamapps folder. Copy that over to your backup folder and you're done!

The only problem I have with running steam.exe to reinstall Steam is that it didnt put anything in my start menu and since I really dont like icons on my desktop, to start Steam I have to go to Steam's install folder to find its exe (as opposed to just hitting Windows key and typing Steam). Aside from that it worked just fine.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Also, who's gonna play Torchlight 2 coop with me tomorrow?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    guys how easy is FTL to understand

Like I watched the Giant Bomb QL today and went "Hmm, that is pretty cool" but let me be frank and clear about myself: I am not a clever man. I like to press buttons and make things blow up. The less learning I have to do at the start of a game, the better.

Can I go into FTL, make things blow up, and have fun?

liEt3nH.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I just picked up $100 in Steam Wallet cards at Gamestop (I had GS giftcards and games to trade in). Man, they get REALLY surly when all you want is Steam cards and nothing else. The manager guy gave me a world class stink-eye.

But I persevered. I am now set for Torchlight 2 and XCOM.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Also, who's gonna play Torchlight 2 coop with me tomorrow?

BL2 is good. Very good. But so is Torchlight 2. I'll be playing it.

Steam: offday
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Like I watched the Giant Bomb QL today and went "Hmm, that is pretty cool" but let me be frank and clear about myself: I am not a clever man. I like to press buttons and make things blow up. The less learning I have to do at the start of a game, the better.

The interface and controls are very simple, point and click stuff. It's no problem learning how to play the game. The difficulty of the game comes from the many complex interactions between systems and events and determining what to do in each situation.

And in true roguelike fashion the game has no problem throwing you into a no-win situation. It's the type of game where you don't judge success by learning how to beat the boss on every run. That's not going to happen. Success in this game is in things like overcoming an apparent no-win situation, or making it one sector further than your record, or any other kinds of goals that you may set for yourself in a session. The true measure of a successful FTL run is how much fun you had.

Drake on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

The interface and controls are very simple, point and click stuff. It's no problem learning how to play the game. The difficulty of the game comes from the many complex interactions between systems and events and determining what to do in each situation.

And in true roguelike fashion the game has no problem throwing you into a no-win situation. It's the type of game where you don't judge success by learning how to beat the boss on every run. That's not going to happen. Success in this game is in things like overcoming an apparent no-win situation, or making it one sector further than your record, or any other kinds of goals that you may set for yourself in a session. The true measure of a successful FTL run is how much fun you had.

Success in FTL is surviving a sure death with a burning ship, multiple hull breaches, and all of your crew dead except the god damn Mantis you rescued from a slave ship. And then crossing your fingers that your next jump doesn't put you further into the proverbial fire.

Spoiler: You will ALWAYS end up further into the fire.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    And in true roguelike fashion the game has no problem throwing you into a no-win situation.

This is one of the things that bothers me the most about FTL. Despite appearances, no-win situations aren't necessarily a thing in many roguelikes. You might encounter a situation in which you can't win, but it's usually because you made a decision earlier that didn't seem bad at the time, but has consequences now. You usually have some options.

There's just so many different things that can happen in FTL and so many systems to invest in. It's common to run into events you have little hope of coming out ahead on. You just have to hope the game gives you events you're equipped for.

Not that it's not awesome when all the sensors are down and the O2 is dropping and the ship is filled with fire and the pilot and shield operator are fighting off a large boarding party on their lonesome. But it doesn't feel like something I could have avoided. Maybe I just haven't played enough yet.

edited September 2012
    Just like in any other roguelike, nothing is going to kill you instantly. But if you take on a stronger foe, they will cripple you if not kill you by the end of the fight. It's only a "no win" situation if you forget that you can escape from any battle.

Personally, I love it when it throws me against a near-impossible situation. Those Well And Truly Fucked moments are the most fun parts of the game. Like the time I barely defeated an enemy fighter AND their boarding party. It involved venting most of the ship to kill the boarders, but then after I closed the doors back up I realized my O2 levels weren't rising in my medbay because there was a massive hull breach. It took the entire crew rotating into the medbay to repair in the vacuum of space for 2 seconds at a time (because they were all already weak from fighting boarders) to finally get it fixed enough to get the air back on. I ended up losing two crew members in the repair alone. Thankfully the next jump yielded 2 new crew members, so I was able to breath a (temporary) sigh of relief.

That's not a "no win" situation, but it's certainly a test of determination, which I think FTL is pretty good about subjecting you to.

(I should add: The best part of the whole thing was messaging Snot frantically: WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?!?!)

minor incident on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I just picked up $100 in Steam Wallet cards at Gamestop (I had GS giftcards and games to trade in). Man, they get REALLY surly when all you want is Steam cards and nothing else. The manager guy gave me a world class stink-eye.

I tend to get GS gift cards for my birthday/christmas. I look forward to going in and using a GS giftcard to by a Steam Wallet card.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Just like in any other roguelike, nothing is going to kill you instantly. But if you take on a stronger foe, they will cripple you if not kill you by the end of the fight. It's only a "no win" situation if you forget that you can escape from any battle.

Personally, I love it when it throws me against a near-impossible situation. Those Well And Truly Fucked moments are the most fun parts of the game. Like the time I barely defeated an enemy fighter AND their boarding party. It involved venting most of the ship to kill the boarders, but then after I closed the doors back up I realized my O2 levels weren't rising in my medbay because there was a massive hull breach. It took the entire crew rotating into the medbay to repair in the vacuum of space for 2 seconds at a time (because they were all already weak from fighting boarders) to finally get it fixed enough to get the air back on. I ended up losing two crew members in the repair alone. Thankfully the next jump yielded 2 new crew members, so I was able to breath a (temporary) sigh of relief.

That's not a "no win" situation, but it's certainly a test of determination, which I think FTL is pretty good about subjecting you to.

(I should add: The best part of the whole thing was messaging Snot frantically: WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?!?!)

RPS has the first part of what is already a fun FTL Diary.

It illustrates exactly what we are talking about. Also, when I say no win situation what I'm really saying is HAMMER THE ENEMIES WEAPONS SYSTEMS WHILE ENGINEERING CHARGES THE FUCKING FTL JUMP DRIVE SHIT REPEL BOARDERS DAMAGE CONTROL TO ENGINEERING JUMPJUMPJUUUUUUUUMP! Instead of a situation where the destruction of the enemy is assured (but ends with your crew dead and your ship suddenly becoming a tomb drifting for all eternity in the vastness of space).

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Aww, I had two decent runs in a row that ended when my client crashed.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

In defense of gamestop employees, and I don't do this often, it sounds like yours has some fanboys. Mine is actually pretty cool and a lot of them are PC gamers too. I went in and traded a lot of stuff in for steam cards and he thought it was pretty cool.

anoffday on

RPS has the first part of what is already a fun FTL Diary.

It illustrates exactly what we are talking about. Also, when I say no win situation what I'm really saying is HAMMER THE ENEMIES WEAPONS SYSTEMS WHILE ENGINEERING CHARGES THE FUCKING FTL JUMP DRIVE SHIT REPEL BOARDERS DAMAGE CONTROL TO ENGINEERING JUMPJUMPJUUUUUUUUMP! Instead of a situation where the destruction of the enemy is assured (but ends with your crew dead and your ship suddenly becoming a tomb drifting for all eternity in the vastness of space).

Yes, totally. Honestly, for all the comparisons to Firefly, my runs of FTL so far have felt much closer to that first episode of Battlestar Galactica, "33".

Shit is falling apart, we're being hounded at every turn by an overpowering enemy, and we only get enough lucky breaks to keep JUMP!ing

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    ugh, no controller support for torchlight 2. guess I'll have to wait awhile to play it as my wrist/finger already hurt from playing kbm games recently

SaraLuna on
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    signature.png

1 hour.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

In defense of gamestop employees, and I don't do this often, it sounds like yours has some fanboys. Mine is actually pretty cool and a lot of them are PC gamers too. I went in and traded a lot of stuff in for steam cards and he thought it was pretty cool.
    I had one get annoyed with me doing this too. Got the "we have downloads too" followed by "don't you already have everything on steam" and "what would you like to preorder for the consoles". They seemed bothered that I didn't buy anything physically.

Tomorrow I take my actuary test, I'm not prepared and have accepted I bit off too much in a short period of time, so I'll be taking it again in the spring. On the plus side, I can now game again guilt free. I really hope a SR3 deal comes up again from a site other than greenman who my credit card hates for some reason.

edited September 2012
    When I did some temp work over the holidays at a local gamestop years back I noticed that they seem to employ the shitty, fucking terrible management tactic of sales quotas. As in; Sell this much of crap people don't want/need or you are FIRED. Something tells me pre-paid Steam cards aren't part of these quotas.

I don't know if that was just like in my area or what, but that seems to be a thing with a lot of retail jobs these days.

Drake on
    yeah, they're pretty infamous for that shit.

Trust me. I've been to my fair share of shitty gamestops. I know good ones are rare, but I really like the guys at mine.

I remember back at my old gamestop where we used to live a gamestop employee got mad at me back in high school because I didn't want the guide with my copy of San Andreas. I remember him saying, "Believe me. You will be stuck in San Andreas on a janky bike and not know where all the cool cars are." A couple months later the whole staff was fired.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    ugh, no controller support for torchlight 2. guess I'll have to wait awhile to play it as my wrist/finger already hurt from playing kbm games recently

Were you expecting it? Diablo clones almost never have it. I can't think of a single one that does.

captaink wrote: »

Were you expecting it? Diablo clones almost never have it. I can't think of a single one that does.

You won't even really be using the keyboard, at least not to move around.

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    So, Steam Thread

Just for future reference, always backup your userdata folder too. It contains all your screenshots, several game saves, cloud saves and some possibly useful configs depending on the games.

camo_sig2.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Okay, new giveaway time.

As some of you may know, I won a copy of Far Cry 2 from a Steamgifts giveaway. Well, that game is awesome.

So I went and picked up this:
    1893.jpg

So now I am stuck with a dilemma. What kind of contest should I hold to give people a chance to enter my Steamgifts Far Cry Complete (meaning Far Cry 1 and 2 in a single package) giveaway?

Then it occurred to me. The computer in every game cheats. That what computers do. They cheat because they can. In Puzzle Quest, they know which three matches will grant them that (supposedly 5% chance) extra turn and they'll pick it over a 4-match. In Tekken, Jinpachi once hit me with an unblockable stun move, then a super for half my health, then the same unblockable stun, then the super again. I want you to PM me your best stories about Cheating AI.

I'm talking Geese Howard in King of Fighters bad, I'm talking Black Bull in F-Zero GX bad. Bring your worst.

I have received one entry so far, but I feel like I should wait until there's a second one before I send out the giveaway URLs. I don't want anybody winning in a walk.

Besides, we all know the SteamGifts RNG cheats too.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Okayfine, I'll enter!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    captaink wrote: »

I wasn't expecting it, no. I was hoping for it as torchlight 1 had perfectly fine controls on 360.
    anoffday wrote: »
    You won't even really be using the keyboard, at least not to move around.
    it's my mouse hand that already has the rsi. using the keyboard for movement would actually be better because less clicking.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Update on I Am Alive: Not quite a cliffhanger ending, but there are several loose ends that don't get tied up before the game stops. It very much feels like there should be another hour or so.

That said, if you like at least some of the following:
    + Urban exploration
    + Scenery porn, of the "ruined city" type
    + The Road
    + Subtle moral quandaries (think hard about where that meat came from)
    + Innovative if sometimes awkward combat
    + Good pacing
    + The color grey

And are not too bothered by:
    - Dangling plot threads
    - Static characters
    - Antiquated continue system ("Retries" is lives, basically, with hard saves at the start of each chapter)
    - Occasional disconnect between audio and subtitles
    - Fetch quests
    - The color grey

Then you could do a lot worse for $15. It's not a long ride at about six hours, but all told, I enjoyed it.

And now, Borderlands 2 beckons.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    first game of FTL, first room that gets powered down with no one in it:

door control

WELP

e: oh of course i learn after the oxygen goes out that they can still move from room to room gdi

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    LOL, yeah. Door control destroyed only means that anyone boarding you will be able to walk around the ship unimpeded, no matter if you have blast doors or not. This also means no closing doors (of which I usually leave some open. I like to feel a draft while doing FTL trips.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    signature.png

Pirates! Piraaaaates!

I hate being a morning person and having infrequent semi-graveyard shift that I get home from and still can't get to sleep.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Ugh.

Well, I didn't pass my first attempt to get through part one of the actuarial exams. On the plus side, it was a really great experience and I feel much better focused on what to do in terms of study habits and materials for the next go around in the spring.

I think I need a new game to cheer me up so I hope the debit card is ready for tonight. Adding a square to the game quilt should help make me less pissy.

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Distracted by illness... I'll be closing this one at around 6-ish EST. Last call for entries!
    Speaking of FTL... it's contest time!

TestSubject23's FTL Contest

Prize: FTL: Faster Than Light (not Fruit of the Loom)
    header_292x136.jpg?t=1347647115

Recently your humble starship has come into possession of data which, despite looking like a database of cookie recipes, you’ve been assured contains encrypted information vital to the survival of the Federation. Sadly, the Rebel fleet has come into possession of information indicating that you have come into possession of this information, and are in hot pursuit of your vessel.
    You must make your way through this sector of space by jumping from one system to the next, hoping to avoid the pursuing rebels and make it to the jump gate that will lead to back to Federation space. It will take ten jumps for the Rebel fleet to catch up and overwhelm the sector, which is OK because you only have ten units of fuel with which to make jumps, so you’d better be at the exit by the time you run out.
    Along the way you can expect to encounter hostile rebel craft, pirates, civilian ships in need of assistance, abandoned facilities that can be salvaged for parts and fuel, stores from which purchase fuel and repairs, and a decent amount of cold empty space. Unfortunately you have no way of knowing in advance which of these things are waiting for you at any given system, so you’ll have to blindly plot out the path of jumps you’ll make, and hope for the best.
    Good luck!
    FTL_contest.png

How to Play:

Choose a path through the various numbered systems, starting at the “Start” system, and ending at the “Exit” system. Your path may follow any of the yellow lines between the systems, but must not be more than ten jumps long. Each system has an encounter which will affect your journey in some way: either a battle, a ship in need of aid, a store, an opportunity for salvage, or a brief reprieve from threat.
    You may visit the same system more than once, but the encounter at that system only takes place during your first visit.
    You may also choose to arrive at the exit in fewer than ten jumps.

Your ship has three resources which will affect how things play out:

Hull integrity: Starts at 10 points, and is reduced by damage to the ship. Can never be higher than 10 points.
    Fuel: Also starts at 10. One unit of fuel is burned for every jump between systems. If you run out of fuel, your ship is unable to travel further and the Rebel fleet overtakes and destroys your vessel.
    Crew: You begin with 4 crew. If your crew drops to zero, your journey is over.

Encounters:
    These are the encounters hidden within the sector, and their various consequences.

Battles (6 systems) - Battles are fought depending on the strength of the enemy ship relative to your own. There are 2 systems with weak enemy ships, 2 systems with ships evenly matched to your own, and 2 systems with strong enemy ships.
    Against weak enemies, you have a 75% chance of winning the battle. If you win, you receive 1 unit of fuel as salvage. If you lose, you take 3 points of hull damage.
    Against evenly matched enemies, you have a 50% chance of winning. If you win, you get 3 units of fuel, but take 1 point of hull damage. If you lose, you take 5 points of hull damage and lose 1 crew member.
    Against strong enemies, you have a 25% chance of winning the fight. Should you win, you'll get 6 fuel from the salvage, but take 3 points of hull damage. If you lose, you take 7 points of hull damage and lose 2 crew members.

Distress signals (3 systems) - A civilian ship in need of help. As you attempt to render aid, you have a 50% chance of success. There are three different situations, each with it's own penalty for failure and reward for success:
    Asteroids - A civilian ship caught in an asteroid field needs your assistance. You attempt to block the asteroids with your own vessel and escort them to safety. Success: You gain 1 crew member and 1 point of hull repair from the grateful civilian ship. Failure: Asteroids inflict 2 points of hull damage and destroy the civilians.
    Disease - A civilian ship has been overrun with disease. You attempt to assist them with your medical bay. Success: You gain 1 crew member and 1 unit of fuel from the grateful civilian ship. Failure: One of your own crewman succumbs to the disease.
    Battle - A pirate is harassing a civilian ship. You move to intervene, and must battle the pirate, who is evenly matched in capability to your own ship. Success: As per battle victory, above, plus 1 crew member. Failure: As per battle loss, plus the civilian ship is destroyed, and you feel bad.

Salvage (2 systems) - You encounter a derelict space station and board in search of salvage. Gain either 3 fuel or 1 crew, and 2 points in hull repairs.

Store (1 system) - You find a friendly trading depot at which you may repair and refuel your ship. Gain 4 fuel and 4 hull points in repairs.

Empty space (2 systems) - Sensors are quiet and your crew catches up on their sleep.

At the end of your run, your score will be calculated as follows:
    Final score = Hull integrity + Fuel + (Crew x 2)
    The person with the highest score wins! Ties to be broken by random selection or hand-to-hand combat.

The contest is open for 48 hours (or longer, depending on how distracted I get).

Oh yes - standard contest boilerplate applies: Open to any and all active members of the forums, submissions to be made via PM.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Company of Heroes 2 is up for pre-order, using the same pre-order scheme as X-Com.

The last tier is intresting, though, with the inclusion of $5 of funbucks.

steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Company of Heroes 2 is up for pre-order, using the same pre-order scheme as X-Com.

The last tier is intresting, though, with the inclusion of $5 of funbucks.

In-game currency? Oh shit, what now?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.