As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

To Catch a Predator

HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking ofDammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hopefully there isn't another thread on this.

Anyway, it seems that someone is suing NBC over "To Catch a Predator."

By LARRY NEUMEISTER Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 07/23/2007 04:55:50 PM PDT

NEW YORK—The sister of a man who was suspected of being a sexual predator and who killed himself as the cameras of "Dateline NBC" closed in on him sued NBC Universal Inc. on Monday for $105 million.

Patricia Conradt's brother, Bill Conradt Jr., shot himself last November in a Dallas suburb as police knocked at his door and a camera crew for the newsmagazine waited in the street.

Conradt claims her brother, an assistant county prosecutor, committed suicide after he was accused of engaging in a sexually explicit online chat with an adult posing as a 13-year-old boy. She alleges a police officer at the scene of the shooting told a "Dateline" producer, "That'll make good TV."

Bill Conradt, 57, became a target of a series called "To Catch a Predator" in which NBC and the activist group Perverted Justice set up shop for four days last November in a two-story home in Murphy, Texas. Perverted Justice staff posed as boys and girls online and arranged to meet men there.

Two dozen men were arrested, but the district attorney refused to prosecute any of them, saying many of the cases were tainted by the involvement of amateurs. And the city manager was fired for approving the arrangement without telling the mayor or the city council.

NBC and Perverted Justice have filmed similar operations in other cities, and the network has said the show did not have the same problems elsewhere that it produced in Murphy.

"We have not yet received the lawsuit, but we plan to defend ourselves vigorously as we believe the claims in the suit to be completely without merit," said Jenny Tartikoff, a spokeswoman for NBC Universal.

Patricia Conradt accuses NBC Universal of engaging in a pattern of racketeering activity by bribing police across the country to let it film encounters with suspects it lures to a home where it has set up cameras.

She said in the lawsuit that NBC "steamrolled" police to arrest her brother at his home after he failed to show up at the rigged house 35 miles away.

Conradt said her brother was unable to defend himself when police, NBC employees and associates swarmed his yard, creating a relationship between NBC and her brother similar to the relationship a prison guard has with an inmate.

"The suicide was reasonably foreseeable," her lawsuit reads. "At this time, the defendant wore the robe of a state official and Bill wore the shackles of a detainee. Having trespassed and invaded upon Bill's property to broadcast a spectacle to millions, the defendant took no more steps toward protecting him than are received by a gladiator or bull."

NBC was "concerned more with its own profits than with pedophilia," she said in the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in New York, where the network is based.

Link: http://origin.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6445032

I don't know if the lawsuit itself has merit, but I have to say the entire concept of "To Catch a Predator" creeps me out. One of my friends loves the show and will rabidly defend it; when I voice any objection to it, she immediately springs for the "If you don't like this show, you must support sexual predators" approach, so I mostly keep my mouth shut.

Just from watching it, it seems awfully close to entrapment for my tastes, even if it's carefully outside the legal definition. Also, I would think NBC would need to get the consent of the accused in order to show their faces on television, which requires a release; since nobody wants to look like a pedophile on national TV, I can only speculate that NBC either offers them money for their consent or appearing on the show becomes a condition in their plea bargain or something like that, which squicks me out.

Even if everything is by-the-books legal, using the workings of the criminal justice system as a source of entertainment doesn't feel right to me. I hate the show "Cops" for pretty much the same reason, and "To Catch a Predator's" relentless focus on pedophilia makes the entire enterprise seem all the more lurid and sensationalist. Basically, I hate the show and everything it represents.

Your thoughts?

Hachface on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've argued in other threads that criminal trials should happen behind closed doors. Turning criminal justice in a public spectacle is a disservice to everybody involved.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, what? He did show up at the decoy house, so they tracked him down? At what point is that not illegal, or at least unjust? I mean, if he was talking to them online, propositioned them, but never carried through with it, is there still a crime?

That sounds really, really dirty to me. Yeah, pedophiles are bad, but this is nothing more than a televised witch hunt.

I'd disagree with you about Cops, though, but that's mainly because I have a crazy fascination with our criminal justice system, and watched Cops obsessively when I was a kid. It's passive observance there, rather than actively targetting and luring people out like this seems to be.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't have any issues with the show on a basic level, but I do have issues with them coming to the guy's house when he didn't show up at their pre-arranged trap. I don't know if the guy was a pedophile or not, but even if he was, that crosses a line.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, I heard this story of the guy committing suicide, but I never stopped to think that the cops chasing him down was justified or not. Wouldn't the courts just try to use the chat logs as "Probable cause" or something to warrant a search and then nail him for 'Conspiring' to do child molestation crimes with the rest of his harddrive?

Lucky Cynic on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, I heard this story of the guy committing suicide, but I never stopped to think that the cops chasing him down was justified or not. Wouldn't the courts just try to use the chat logs as "Probable cause" or something to warrant a search and then nail him for 'Conspiring' to do child molestation crimes with the rest of his harddrive?

What if he didn't have anything terrible on his (beyond the chat logs they've already got?)

Plus, with that approach, you don't have the benefit of destroying the guy's character on television.

INeedNoSalt on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The biggest problem I have with this show is its fear-mongering. In one "unseen tapes" episode I caught, the host was summarizing the whole problem as the "addictive nature of the internet." O_o

It all strikes me as one more old-media attempt to scare the masses out of the water by yelling, "shark!"

Tiemler on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    He commited suicide before they ever got there. Somebody gave him a heads up on the warrant that had been issued for his arrest.

FyreWulff on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This show is such bullshit.

It occasionally does good things but I can't for the life of me say the intentions are good, since the utter douchebaggery of how they handle things makes it pretty clear their only intention is cashing in.

Furu on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This show is awful and the people that like it are bad people.

There, I said it.

Uh, oh, I guess that makes me for child molestation.

MikeMan on
    edited July 2007
    IF YOU DON'T SUPPORT TO CATCH A PREDATOR, YOU'RE A PEDOPHILE

Furu on
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Which makes it hard to publically disagree with the show - if you do, you basically get this line.

Let the police do stings. Don't parade them on TV, it's just going to force them to go underground even more than they already have.

Also, the actual registered sex offenders that show up? Come from over an hour away? Yeah, that should prove that residence restrictions for them doesn't fucking prevent them from doing anything...

FyreWulff on
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Catching them and putting them away? That's good.

I think they could do without publicly humiliating them on TV though... Although it may make other pedophiles think twice (although it seems a few of them actually have seen the show, which makes them fucking idiots).

Also, this show teaches us that pedophiles type like 12 year old girls.

Mr Peepers on
    edited July 2007
    Hansen is probably the most annoying, shitty part of an annoying, shitty show.

I mean, he doesn't do a goddamn thing

How OH HOW did we ever catch pedophiles before without Chris Goddamn Hansen's vital assistance.

Furu on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Which makes it hard to publically disagree with the show - if you do, you basically get this line.

Let the police do stings. Don't parade them on TV, it's just going to force them to go underground even more than they already have.

Also, the actual registered sex offenders that show up? Come from over an hour away? Yeah, that should prove that residence restrictions for them doesn't fucking prevent them from doing anything...

Residence restrictions? Elaborate a wee bit for one who hasn't looked too deeply into just how horribly our justice system and society strips everyone under the 'sex offender' label of their rights and humanity.

yalborap on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Residence restrictions? Elaborate a wee bit for one who hasn't looked too deeply into just how horribly our justice system and society strips everyone under the 'sex offender' label of their rights and humanity.

It's very common for states to pass laws saying that registered sex offenders are barred from living or working within X distance, usually 1/2 mile, of a school, daycare center, or school bus stop.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited July 2007

Basically it's a bunch of feel-good laws that ban registered sex offenders from living withing x feet of a school. Recently they lengthened the distance, to the point where there is a couple of cities in Nebraska where they can't live at all because the entire damn thing fits inside all of the school's radiuses. Since it'd be political suicide to speak up against such a law, they keep getting lengthened. A lot of sex offenders had to leave Iowa and come over to Nebraska because they can't live in most of it's cities due to this.

My opinion is if these guys are supposedly this dangerous, lengthen their prison sentences. What people don't realize though is that by doing this, these guys go off the grid and we don't know where they are anymore

FyreWulff on
    edited July 2007
    Also, schools tend to be close to jobs and social/psychiatric services. Driving sex offenders away from schools also drives them away from said jobs and services. A ex-con without a job and a social worker quickly becomes a con again.

Feral on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hope they not only lose, but get hit with a class-action lawsuit for billions.

Thanatos on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Basically it's a bunch of feel-good laws that ban registered sex offenders from living withing x feet of a school. Recently they lengthened the distance, to the point where there is a couple of cities in Nebraska where they can't live at all because the entire damn thing fits inside all of the school's radiuses. Since it'd be political suicide to speak up against such a law, they keep getting lengthened. A lot of sex offenders had to leave Iowa and come over to Nebraska because they can't live in most of it's cities due to this.

My opinion is if these guys are supposedly this dangerous, lengthen their prison sentences. What people don't realize though is that by doing this, these guys go off the grid and we don't know where they are anymore

Now that right there is my opinion exactly. If they can be fixed, let them out and stop making them have to announce what they were in for to the entire world. If they can't, leave them in there until they die(either naturally or artificially). One or the other.

But this conversation has been had a dozen times over.

yalborap on
    edited July 2007
    I hate this article just because I can't really side with anyone.

Everyone involved in this is terrible.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2007
    Since it'd be political suicide to speak up against such a law, they keep getting lengthened.

And you know it shouldn't be political suicide. The rationale for opposing the law is simple: they make communities more dangerous. To stop a sex offender from reoffending, they need to be kept under a tight web of supervision. Their activities need to be monitored, they need to check in with their parole officer, their PO needs to be able to drop by their living situation at any time, and they need to follow through with a structured parole program. It's much easier for a cop to swing by an ex-con's house if that ex-con lives in the city than if that ex-con lives way out in bumfuck egypt. Call it the "short leash" effect.

If politicians played up the need for tight supervision of parolees, these laws could be dismantled on those grounds.

Feral on

• mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How many pedophiles have actually been locked away because of this show? It seems like any court would throw it out just based on the fact that there isn't proof that these guys solicit sex from minors. They may have talked dirty to someone posing as a minor, but not actually even contacted a minor. On top of this, a lot of the chat logs show the pedophiles asking the decoys if they are cops, which, since they are not cops, they can legally say no. But they're working with cops, so is that covered by the law at all? It's just entrapment by proxy.

I'm all for getting the pedophiles out there in the system to keep them from doing things to real children, but there's a good chance that these guys could get off on technicalities and just end up pushing pedophiles deeper underground and making it harder to find them.

mystic_knight on
    edited July 2007
    As long as NBC keeps rolling in the ratings from it, I'm sure they don't give a damn.

Furu on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not surprised he killed himself. It wouldn't have mattered if he had gotten convicted or not, the accusation alone pretty much equates social suicide.

Glal on
    edited July 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm not surprised he killed himself. It wouldn't have mattered if he had gotten convicted or not, the accusation alone pretty much equates social suicide.

social murder, more like.

it's pretty horrible, and the fact that the accusation is aired on national television kind of makes it perfectly crippling, which is why this show really shouldn't be, like, allowed.

Next, we will incite people on the street to acts of violence while the police stand just out of view! Live on NBC!

INeedNoSalt on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Whoa wait. Are you telling me that there's actually a TV program in the states that makes entertainment of child sex abuse?

Fucking hell. I mean seriously...

And as for "defending the show"...? I'm all for cracking down on this kind of crime, I think its pure evil. But to create entertainment out of it? For people to get some kind of vicarious thrill out of the subject under the guise of "justice"... Say what you like about the show's results, but there is only one reason a TV channel would do a show like this and thats money.

I've surprised myself by having a genuinely angry reaction to this.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If this show does what I think it does, I agree with Than.

Aroused Bull on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glal wrote: »

social murder, more like.

it's pretty horrible, and the fact that the accusation is aired on national television kind of makes it perfectly crippling, which is why this show really shouldn't be, like, allowed.

Next, we will incite people on the street to acts of violence while the police stand just out of view! Live on NBC!

The whole sex offender label is pretty scary....just on Digg the other day two 13 year old boys were being threatened by a district attorney with having to register as sex offenders because they smacked a girl on the butt in the hallway of their school. Apparently the kids said it was just something they did as a greeting, but it made a few girls uncomfortable (which is understandable). But instead of just having the principle put a stop to it, they bust out the sex offender registration cards and ruin some lives. It scares me particularly because at my school in 7th grade all the kids were snapping each other's bra straps and smacking each other's asses....sexual awakening manifesting in weird juvenile hallway rituals I suppose :).

I hope that we can someday figure out precisely what is going on with pedophiles -- physiologically and psychologically -- so that they can be helped/fixed whatever. I remember reading a story about a guy who started becoming sexually attracted to children and adolescents, and became increasingly unable to suppress his desires. Eventually he made a pass at his daughter, was arrested, and later diagnosed with a brain tumor. The tumor was removed, the behavior stopped; the tumor partially came back and the behavior started up again, that too was removed, and again the behavior ceased. I guess it just kind of illustrates that there's a lot going on up there we don't really fully understand. I imagine many are beyond saving...but it's just the whole "get the chains let's go drag the pedophile behind a truck" mentality that I find kind of unsettling. Frankly though I can't imagine, if it was to happen to my child, that I would have a reaction that differs much from said mentality...

Ant000 on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that thing about the 13 year old butt smackers getting slapped with sex offender labels is terrible. And it's a label that would stay with and effect and restrict their entire lives. This shit is so absurd, but how do you change ithe law once it's gotten to this point? Bah. Overreacting nutters.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, what? He did show up at the decoy house, so they tracked him down? At what point is that not illegal, or at least unjust? I mean, if he was talking to them online, propositioned them, but never carried through with it, is there still a crime?.

In the state of Texas, land of Yosemite Sam, is it a distinct and separate crime to use the internet to attempt to proposition an underage person for sex, even if you do not take steps to carry out the actual sexual act. That's why the police were able to go to the guy's house to arrest him.

I'm not a fan of these type of shows because they're not solving the problem of people soliciting minors for sex on the internet, they're exploiting it for cheap laughs. You don't hear ways for parents to keep their children safe or how society can help prevent this type of behavior from occurring in the first place. All you get are oblivious idiots thinking with the wrong part of their anatomy showing up to be mocked, embarrassed and otherwise have their dignity shredded on national tv. Never mind that "innocent until proven guilty" mumbo-jumbo that gets flashed in tiny text for 2 seconds before the show starts.

Furthermore, most of the people caught on these shows are just that: idiots. The real scary sexual predators, the ones who have taken child molestation beyond the occasional hobby stage, are smart enough to avoid these type of sting operations simply because they learned how the police operate them by watching Dateline. Sting operation don't work if the target is aware that the sting is in place.

Dateline should just retire this before something really bad happens. One of these days, one of these guys is going to freak out, pull out a gun and shoot that dick Chris Hansen in the face before opening fire on everyone else in the room.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that thing about the 13 year old butt smackers getting slapped with sex offender labels is terrible. And it's a label that would stay with and effect and restrict their entire lives. This shit is so absurd, but how do you change ithe law once it's gotten to this point? Bah. Overreacting nutters.

Lets not forget situations like the 19 year old guy and his 17 year old girlfriend. He got slapped with a sex offender label too.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, basically it sucks. They need to allow for some gray area and use some case by case discretion instead of making it so black and white.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I hope they not only lose, but get hit with a class-action lawsuit for billions.
    I'm assuming that you're talking about NBC here, Than. Elaborate on why you want them to lose big?

I personally don't see an issue with the show. Hell, I think it's great. Do I like the fear-mongering that goes along with it? No, but I understand that fear mongering goes along with virtually everything that is broadcast on the news.

With that said, yes people off of this show get convicted. They've generally broken the law and are dealt with accordingly. In this particular sting, the DA declined to bring charges against anyone taken in the sting, but to me, that's playing politics.

Raggaholic on
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Then there's the case of the two teenagers who were under 18. The guy was performing oral on the girl, but he got nailed with a 10 year charge and registration as a sex offender. His verdict was overturned, but the DA refuses to order his release, and their going to court over it right now. This all happened in Alabama, so the kicker shouldn't surprise you.

He's black, the girl is white. SHOCK AND AWE, I TELL YA.

siliconenhanced on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All I wish to say is I saw this show for the first time back in february and I was appalled that this garbage was on a network. I cannot believe someone would make this into a teevee program.

Shogun on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How many pedophiles have actually been locked away because of this show? It seems like any court would throw it out just based on the fact that there isn't proof that these guys solicit sex from minors. They may have talked dirty to someone posing as a minor, but not actually even contacted a minor. On top of this, a lot of the chat logs show the pedophiles asking the decoys if they are cops, which, since they are not cops, they can legally say no. But they're working with cops, so is that covered by the law at all? It's just entrapment by proxy.

I'm all for getting the pedophiles out there in the system to keep them from doing things to real children, but there's a good chance that these guys could get off on technicalities and just end up pushing pedophiles deeper underground and making it harder to find them.

Just as an FYI undercover cops are not required to identify themselves when asked. Urban myth.

JohnnyCache on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Google up Fitzroy Barnaby if you want to see how fucked up Sex Offender laws can be. I'm all for supporting the idea of them, but like almost everything, the government fucked up big time putting it into practice.

Long story short, a 13 year old girl ran in front of his car, and he had to swerve to not kill her. He got out of his car, grabbed her by the arm, and lectured her on how to not get killed.

That's "unlawful restraint of a minor." He now has to register as a sex offender.

Doc on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

Streaking, as a high school prank? You now run the risk of being labeled a sex offender.

Me Too! on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure you can legally blame someone for someone else's suicide...can you? I hate Dateline, but I'm more interested in the legal situation.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Then there's the case of the two teenagers who were under 18. The guy was performing oral on the girl, but he got nailed with a 10 year charge and registration as a sex offender. His verdict was overturned, but the DA refuses to order his release, and their going to court over it right now. This all happened in Alabama, so the kicker shouldn't surprise you.

He's black, the girl is white. SHOCK AND AWE, I TELL YA.
    You're confusing two different cases. One is Marcus Dixon (the one where the aggravated child molatestion charge was overturned, black male/white female) and the Genarlow Wilson case (girl performed oral on him, judge vacated the verdict and the DA appealed, both black).

Both of these cases were in Georgia, by the way.

Raggaholic on