As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Food, Good Friends and.... actually, no, just [Food Thread]

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Lodge is alright and target sells it. The only thing I would be iffy on from a box store is enameled cast iron, I've read a lot of really shitty reviews of Lodge's enamel line, as much as I'd love to pay less than a third of the cost of better brands. Their non-enamel seems to be totally fine though.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Excellent, thank you Stale! And after seasoning, I am to clean it with water and a gentle abrasive, yes? And then let it air dry?

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    while it still warm toss a little kosher salt in there, wipe it out.

if it's warm and seasoned it'll wipe right out.

easysig2.jpg
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Hey food thread, any recommendations for a very small grill I could work with on the very small slab of concrete my apartment complex calls a porch?

If you're not at ground level check with your apartment complex to make sure they allow grills at all. It may be in your contract.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Tonight I made some thin-sliced chicken breasts with rice and black beans

Not nearly as good as the chicken thighs I made yesterday, but okay

Those thighs were so good, my kid almost ate a whole one, and he eats like an anorexic bird

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    a roast chicken is a thing of the gods.

i should roast a chicken more often.

ohman.

chicken soup with roasted chicken chunks, some fresh peas, and matzah balls. Perfect.

Any of you brits wanna help me learn how to 'mushy pea'? I thought i'd figured it out, but it turned more into pea puree/soup.

• But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Hey food thread, any recommendations for a very small grill I could work with on the very small slab of concrete my apartment complex calls a porch?

If you're not at ground level check with your apartment complex to make sure they allow grills at all. It may be in your contract.

It is allowed, or at least there are lots of other people with them around. Some of them are even on the second floor.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I got a whole chicken today

How the fuck do I cook this bad boy

I should maybe go out and get a pot big enough to make stock in, I suppose

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What no.

You roast that motherfucker.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    well yeah, I want to roast it

that carcass ain't gonna soup itself though

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    This is last thread's recipe to roast a fucking chicken.

Here is a real roast chicken.

Step one Get a fucking chicken.

Preferably two kilos or so. If you don't know what a kilo is leave Syria or whatever third world country you live in.

Get some paper towel. Pat the old girl down. It's like a good blow job. The drier the better. Or something. Then rub some olive oil, cracked black pepper and salt flakes. If you are making this for friends be sure to point out which river your salt flakes came from, case you're a wanker like that. Also loudly exclaim that it's an organic, ethically produced bird. Point out that you can taste the difference and nod sagely.

Stick the chicken in the fridge and leave it the fuck alone for an hour.

Next, turn on an oven 180 +273 degrees using the one true units and boil a pot of water.

Shell a head or garlic, cut up some potatoes and yet a lemon. Boil all this for ten minutes. Stick some salt in there too.

Next, drain and seperate half the garlic and the lemon. Stab the lemon a few times and shove it up the bird's arse along with that garlic and some thyme and rosemary.

Then truss the chicken. Ignore fyndir, trussing stops the breasts from drying out, if you don't know how, or are like me, and constantly forget, got to YouTube. Pop he bird in a dish and roast for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes take the bird out, pop it on a plate and throw the potatoes and the rest of garlic in. Maybe a sliced onion too. Stir this all around, pop the chicken on top and roast for another 45 minutes.

Take out, rest for ten and serve.

Blake T on
    Bomb.

aside from the fascism measurements that is perfect, thanks

I'm sorry.

What unit of time would you like it in.

The total cooking time is 0.022321 pregnancy cycles of a standard human. Or "oven units"

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I suggest Pound Feet per Watt

the one true temperature, please
    degrees kelvin

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I suck at cooking.

Can I also talk about good stuff I get at restaurants?

How is the panda express?

degrees kelvin

Done.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    How is the panda express?

Terrible.

It gives me the scoots.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so I bought this course from Craftsy (love love love) with peter reinhart doing artisan breads. sadly for me, most of these breads are white flour based. so I asked him a question (which he answered promptly) and he mentioned that he had published a book all about whole wheat bread.

somebody needs to buy me this please i will love you forever kiss kiss.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    http://www.king5.com/food/Top-Chef-Seattle-premieres-in-November-170344546.html

TOP SCALLOP RETURNS!
    And in Seattle, as expected!
    woot!

@Druhim and @Usagi and such better watch :D

nevillexmassig1.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, we don't get cable so we won't be watching. :P

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    I feel like I shouldn't be this pleased with myself for making what tastes like a fantastic meatloaf, but hey, baby steps. And sandwiches.

Meatloaf does rock. Also, the next step can be making meatloaf, putting it into bell peppers, and having stuffed bell peppers. It's more fancy because you put it in a vegetable! It must be fancy!

I'd do this but bell peppers make me sneeze like nothing else on this earth, no idea why. That time I had to deliver 8 super supreme pizzas to a high school graduation was one hell of a trip.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Then truss the chicken. Ignore fyndir, trussing stops the breasts from drying out, if you don't know how, or are like me, and constantly forget, got to YouTube. Pop he bird in a dish and roast for 45 minutes.

I either butterfly and flatten it, or roast it upside down for the first thirty minutes and then flip it for the last bit. Same effect.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Not being able to watch Top Chef is my one true regret from dropping cable.

Related, I'm trying to convince my wife that we need to go to Sbraga because his menu looks great.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    http://www.king5.com/food/Top-Chef-Seattle-premieres-in-November-170344546.html

TOP SCALLOP RETURNS!
    And in Seattle, as expected!
    woot!

@Druhim and @Usagi and such better watch :D

This is also relevant for @Sheri and @lostwords !

nevillexmassig1.png
    Hey Seattle people, have any of you tried beers from Elysian ? Specifically their Night Owl pumpkin ale? My local beer guy's got one case left and I haven't gotten any pumpkin ale yet but I'd like to know how it is.

Elysian brews good stuff, but I haven't had that particular ale.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    degrees kelvin

Kelvin is the same as Celsius

just so you know

just with a different starting point

#pipe wrote: »
    degrees kelvin

Kelvin is the same as Celsius

just so you know

just with a different starting point

THAT WAS THE JOKE.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Imma cook up a batch of chili and cornbread this weekend for NFL probably. I have a template I work with for the chili, but no actual amounts.

Everything is pretty normal in the chili, except for a few surprises I always use. The chili cooks over 6 hours in a slow cooker, so I generally adjust the flavors on an hourly basis, and add a couple of potatoes to soak up salt if it is too salty (throw out the potatoes after cooking).

Surprise ingredients:
    Spicy italian sausage (unsheathed and browned)
    Dark brown sugar (used at first just to cut the heat if necessary)
    Chipotle peppers - the smokier the better
    Hand-mashed heirloom tomatoes (the meatier the better) - Tomatoes can totally make or break a chili
    Sriracha sauce
    A little cumin (so good)

Do you guys have any secret ingredients for your chili?

Those aren't secret ingredients

those are chili ingredients

how the fuck else would you make chili?

easysig2.jpg
    also replace spicy italian with chorizo

and brown sugar with molasses

but same principle

easysig2.jpg
    secret chili ingredient: beefs

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    My secret ingredients are whatever happens to look good as I walk down the chili pepper aisle at the store.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Those aren't secret ingredients

those are chili ingredients

how the fuck else would you make chili?

Chorizo is a good idea, man. I'll try that out.

I've seen some pretty 1 dimensional chili in my day. Using just ground beef or beef cubes instead of sausage, or just using red pepper flakes and cayenne for heat instead of using smokier, more creative sources. And cumin is a requirement for awesome chili, yeah, but so many people don't use it. Also my last secret ingredient is some shavings off of a Contra NES cartridge, but I really try to keep that one secret.

Have you ever tried putting seafood in a chili? That might be interesting and jambalaya-ish.

you have a chili pepper aisle?

*jealous*

I really need to work on growing some chilies for myself. seriously. otherwise i'm just not going to get satisfactory mexican/hispanic/texan food down here.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Anyone got any experience making their own mayonnaise, or particular recipes for doing so that don't involve a working blender?

The recipes I've glanced at talk about adding oil drop by drop, claiming that it will go OMGTERRIBAD wrong if you add it too quickly, which concerns me because I don't have the best steady hands for delicate things like that, and if it's that big a deal I'd probably sooner not stress myself out over it.

This discussion has been closed.