As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

'O7 PC Tournaments: Rules and Info

• Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited July 2007
    Yea, tourney systems only. It'll be easier for you to stay close to your team that way, and it keeps the playing field more level.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    [*]Registration for ALL console tournaments begins on Friday, August 24th, right outside of the PC tournament area.

You do mean PC tournaments right? I see what you did THAR.

While this is not inaccurate, I don't suppose it is what you meant.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    [*]Registration for ALL console tournaments begins on Friday, August 24th, right outside of the PC tournament area.

pc and console are the same area ?

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    randomguy wrote: »

pc and console are the same area ?

No they are not. Not on the same floor.

Conclusion:

Dave sucks.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yea, tourney systems only. It'll be easier for you to stay close to your team that way, and it keeps the playing field more level.

This makes Babelfish sad. Will we be able to use our own mouse/keyboard/mousepad/config? 'cause, like, I can't own without that stuff.

babelfish on
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I stand corrected

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You better not be suggesting that I simply copied the console thread filling in (most of) the blanks to fit our own needs. Because, gosh golly, if that's what you're accusing me of, I'll do something nasty!

;)

I've fixed my error.

And yes, Babel, you can use your own mouse, keyboard, and manually set your own configurations.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What about a dance pad for movement???? Thats the only way I play CS

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    What about a dance pad for movement???? Thats the only way I play CS

I can't even take this seriously, but just in case you are, no, there's no room for a dance pad.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sadly, Jaiden is right. Although, we might be able to arrange a special byoc contest using said dance pads. If you have any ideas for such, shoot me a pm. Could be some good times.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    LOL, I was kidding, I've already got my kicks out of playing CS in a competitive tourney for money once (although it was old CS). I won't be in the tourney, although some kind of fps using dance pads in BYOC would be sweet. I've also played bf1 with a dance pad. Bombing runs are surprisingly effective and yes you can even pull off some simple flight manouvers such as barrel rolls and other stuff. I am pretty sure I could get the 2 others travelling with me to bring theirs, but ours are ps models so we have to find the adapters (i know we know where 2 of the 3 are). Maybe i can borrow more off of other friends.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so it occurred to me that I'm going to need 5 minutes or so to setup my binds since BYOC computers aren't allowed. Am I going to be able to have that time for the CSS tourney?

Shade on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    so it occurred to me that I'm going to need 5 minutes or so to setup my binds since BYOC computers aren't allowed. Am I going to be able to have that time for the CSS tourney?

As long as you are on time to your match there should be enough pre-match time to do this. Just set it back to default before you get up from your computer if you change things :)

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sadly, Jaiden is right. Although, we might be able to arrange a special byoc contest using said dance pads. If you have any ideas for such, shoot me a pm. Could be some good times.

You just hate admitting I'm right. SAY IT!

Jaiden on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Go die in hell, you Mario Kart hacker.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What? I couldn't hear you all the way back there in second place, Dave.

Jaiden on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    [*]All tournaments minus the World of Warcraft tournament will be exclusively using tournament computers provided by Intel. You will be allowed to bring over your mice and keyboards and customize your configurations, you will not be allowed to load software of any kind including special mouse drivers, mods/mutators, aimbots, pr0n, deadly viruses that will kill our network, or utilities that break into top secret government facilities.

289959688_8fc76e3cda.jpg

This is the best rule any PC-based tournament can have.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Is this tourney PC thing so that I don't get accused of haxing again? :(

(Also: Will there be Vent servers available for LAN tourneys? In-game chat is kinda... well, bad. Plus, without SetPoint, push-to-talk sucks on my mouse -- I have it bound to mousewheel tilt via a custom mouse bind in SetPoint, because you can't strafe right and press V at the same time in-game!)

babelfish on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    There will be Vent servers available.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    babelfish wrote: »
    Is this tourney PC thing so that I don't get accused of haxing again? :(

(Also: Will there be Vent servers available for LAN tourneys? In-game chat is kinda... well, bad. Plus, without SetPoint, push-to-talk sucks on my mouse -- I have it bound to mousewheel tilt via a custom mouse bind in SetPoint, because you can't strafe right and press V at the same time in-game!)

As Dave said, the OP states that Vent will be available. As for SetPoint...
    you will not be allowed to load software of any kind including special mouse drivers

Granted, I don't know what SetPoint is, it just sounds like it fits into that category from your description.

Edit: Ahhh yes, a quick wikipedia search and my assumption is confirmed.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    pNopNo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey Dave and all. Its Pinnochio just popping in to make a few points made and throw a few suggestions out in-case the ideas are looked at by higher powers as "usable".
    Long as I know everyone on the inside then I'm fine. :D

Now I have a question.

Do you want the CS:S Tournament to use traditional CAL rules, or would you like to branch off into the other 3 options?

CEVO Rules (Everything is the same, only mp_roundtime 2[Meaning 2:00 instead of 1:45])
    CAL-Invite Rules (CAL Rules but mp_startmoney 16000[$16000 instead of $800])
    CGS Rules (mp_freezetime mp_startmoney "16000" ; mp_roundtime "1.33" ; sv_cheats "0" ; sv_gravity "800" ; mp_restartgame "5" ; mp_restartgame "3" ; mp_restartgame "1")
    The CGS rule set means 0:11 second freezetime, with 1:19 roundtime with 16000 to start with. With the edge being there are only 9 rounds per half. Meaning first to 10 wins, but also allowing for a exciting quick paced game. The Overtime rule set is if both teams reach the score of 9-9 when both halves are complete, both teams stay on their current sides (T's stay T's and CT's stay CT's), but the config is the same with just 1 round played meaning the match will be over without switching sides again.

This is very different than any other rule set, but allows for quick game play and for a smoothly run tournament.

Let me know if you want any help on organization for the CS:S portion. :D
    Hehe. Well in all honesty I don't think there were many complaints last year within the participants. I think if the servers are fine and the matches go as shorter than the full-length. It should be rather easy to keep a hold of the body.

I'm already forming a team for this tournament so if possible I'd like to know ASAP whether the choice will differ than traditional CAL rules.

I might add, CGS is very popular these days (www.thecgs.com) and makes tournaments go much faster and typically smoother.

EDIT: Can we at least use Source maps that are used competitively? Not De_dust.

A nomination I'd select, which I'll choose on Valve Created maps, would be De_Train, De_Dust2, De_Nuke, and De_Inferno for the first 4 maps of the tournament. All those maps have been stressed to be used in all forms of league and tournament play for years so far.
    I understand that they are geared toward casual gamers, but in all honesty CAL is the oldest standard of competitive play. Even a majority of pubs have adopted the 30 rounds total with 800 start money.

I'm merely just throwing in suggestions that could make for a more solid tournament. The difference though is if CGS was chosen it would make for a MUCH quicker tournament. Trust me when I say the format makes games half as long as typical CAL/CEVO or any other league format for that matter.

It's not just more fun due to the fact it makes tournaments quicker/smoother, it also more fun because everyone gets guns because fo the 16000 startmoney.

EDIT: But if its' already picked, there's no changing anything. :=\

Most of these posts were made in responses on the LPNW forums so I figured i'd just copy n paste them as quotes here.

Let me know if you'd like anymore info on the CS:S scene because I've been very in-depth in the competitive community and attending multiple LAN tournaments over the last couple of years.

:D:D:D

pNo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Whoah, I've been critically hit by a block of text for massive damage.

I'll see that those questions/ideas/comments are seen by Mif, who's running the CSS tournament this year.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I'll see that those questions/ideas/comments are seen by Mif, who's running the CSS tournament this year.

You must be a traditional Giant Crab from an actual version of Feudal Japan.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Ghrog's not running it anymore? :(

BTW, my nominations on maps to be used:

de_inferno
    de_nuke
    de_dust2
    de_train
    de_cpl_mill (which isn't VALVe-created, but is a great competitive map which most people already have)

BTW, Pinno, what's the status on your team? I dunno if I've got weSTo or Last Call, so I might have an open spot again (or be looking for a team, depending on if you or Fallout has a spot open for me -- infinity might bee LFT, too, if that's the case).

babelfish on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ghrog will still be involved, but he was moved to the main admin of the HL2:DM.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    pNopNo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

de_inferno
    de_nuke
    de_dust2
    de_train
    de_cpl_mill (which isn't VALVe-created, but is a great competitive map which most people already have)

BTW, Pinno, what's the status on your team? I dunno if I've got weSTo or Last Call, so I might have an open spot again (or be looking for a team, depending on if you or Fallout has a spot open for me -- infinity might bee LFT, too, if that's the case).

Cannot use CPL maps due to the fact the CPL was "re-incarnated" for the end of this month. I highly suggest not using those maps due to possible lawsuits.

DE_Dust2
    DE_Train
    DE_Nuke
    DE_Inferno

The only other map I could even consider using for this tournament which are in the custom category would be De_Contra. This map spread like Wildfire when it was first included into League play, and lets just say it's a VERY popular pub map.

As for my status for team wise I do not know as of yet. I'm still looking into whether I'm going to play with my current team mate or if I'll join you guys. Who's your current line up?

pNo on
  • Options
    M A V I CM A V I C Registered User new member
    edited August 2007

I know he's "on location" right now, so don't be alarmed if there's no rapid response.

M A V I C on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    pNo wrote: »

de_inferno
    de_nuke
    de_dust2
    de_train

Cannot use CPL maps due to the fact the CPL was "re-incarnated" for the end of this month. I highly suggest not using those maps due to possible lawsuits.

DE_Dust2
    DE_Train
    DE_Nuke
    DE_Inferno

The only other map I could even consider using for this tournament which are in the custom category would be De_Contra. This map spread like Wildfire when it was first included into League play, and lets just say it's a VERY popular pub map.

As for my status for team wise I do not know as of yet. I'm still looking into whether I'm going to play with my current team mate or if I'll join you guys. Who's your current line up?

Right now, it's me, infinity, Ghrog's friend Ron (plays with Project as 1 HP), maybe Ghrog. I'm still trying to nab weSTo or Last Call, but Last Call sounds like he'd only come for cash prizes, while weSTo would be coming for fun. If we've got weSTo, infinity, me, you, and Ghrog's buddy, I'd guess we'd be the team to beat. As it is, if I can get my team to work together, I guarantee we'll rape anyone on Nuke. ;)

(Project is 6-0-0 in CAL-O Pacific Theta right now, and AFAIK he's a starter, so he's not bad.)

I agree on Contra, BTW, except it's not exactly a popular pub map. :p

I'd like to see more than four maps, though. Perhaps Season or Russka? Neither are play CAL (Season's been preseason, nothing more), so they wouldn't likely give an undue advantage to those with competitive experience.

babelfish on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If we've got weSTo, infinity, me, you, and Ghrog's buddy, I'd guess we'd be the team to beat.

A bold statement. Do you know every one of the 30,000 people expected to be coming to PAX? ;-)

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    StormShadowStormShadow regular
    edited August 2007
    yo just some thoughts on CSS. as far as the guy goes that says hes the team to beat, i hope you won first place last year otherwise youre gonna get pwned cause those guys were amazing. people complaining about awp and auto snipe, wow go to a pub and do that not forums for an actualy official tourney, wtf? its part of the game so it should be allowed. if you were good you could beat awp with scout ok? as for maps im happy with the ones chosen. except dust one can be pretty stacked at times, but im really sick of dust 2 so props for not using that :P

StormShadow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    God, Dust 2 is like 80% of all servers these days it seems >_<

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    BloodywednesdayBloodywednesday regular
    edited August 2007
    It's all my computer can take captain! Thats part of the reason I saved up for a new computer... I don't have a new computer yet though... just moneys....

Bloodywednesday on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's all my computer can take captain! Thats part of the reason I saved up for a new computer... I don't have a new computer yet though... just moneys....

It's not a bad map, it's just that I feel it takes quite a bit of effort to find a server on another map that actually has decent players and a good game going without butt-loads of server-side mods.

I just want to play regular CS the way it was meant to be played!

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    BloodywednesdayBloodywednesday regular
    edited August 2007

It's not a bad map, it's just that I feel it takes quite a bit of effort to find a server on another map that actually has decent players and a good game going without butt-loads of server-side mods.

I just want to play regular CS the way it was meant to be played!

Yeah for sure, I can't wait to get my new computer and play FPS that don't lag...

Bloodywednesday on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yo just some thoughts on CSS. as far as the guy goes that says hes the team to beat, i hope you won first place last year otherwise youre gonna get pwned cause those guys were amazing. people complaining about awp and auto snipe, wow go to a pub and do that not forums for an actualy official tourney, wtf? its part of the game so it should be allowed. if you were good you could beat awp with scout ok? as for maps im happy with the ones chosen. except dust one can be pretty stacked at times, but im really sick of dust 2 so props for not using that :P

I wasn't on the winning team, no. I actually ditched my team midway to go see a girl. :p

However, until I ditched the team, we were undefeated and we were actually accused of hacking. And, if I'd stayed around, we probably would have taken second, if only because we had a few... well, I'll call them "clunkers"... on the team!

If I get the guy I want to come, the team will be made up of:

Two ex-CAL-M (myself, infinitydxn), one ex-CAL-I (weSTo), one top CAL-O (1 HP) and Pinno, who's consistently been a winner (did you get 1st last year Pinno?) at PAX. And I pub with the same name as on here (Babelfish), so if you've run across me, you know I'm good. ;)

As for de_dust: Just... no. Bad choice. It's a map where the team that wins the pistol round will win out. It's especially bad for T side. If you don't win pistol round, you're fucked.

And, as for another map suggestion... it's off-the-wall, but de_tides might be fun. ;)

babelfish on
  • Options
    artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    de_dust is fine. this isnt CPL kids. CAL ran de_dust for a long time, they moved on to more competetive maps. and I wouldnt expect this tourny to pick up CPL MILL sence the 'pubers' realy wouldnt know it *I dont mean any offence by using the term pubers*. PAX tries to cater to the competetive people with out leaving the not competetive people behind.

Were all just trying to have some fun. I love scriming/matching de_dust. some maps are one sided competetivly, but thats why we play both sides in a match.

It's a map where the team that wins the pistol round will win out. It's especially bad for T side. If you don't win pistol round, you're fucked.

You ever hear of a save round?? the map isnt that one sided in the uper level play, smokes and flashes if used well T side can open up a lot of attacks. and the emfamous awp corner CT side realy isnt that good in a match. you have one guy there watching tunnel. but people still get through.

<3 when people talk about cal-i friends, //edit //edit

artifice on
  • Options
    StormShadowStormShadow regular
    edited August 2007
    Thats cool babel, girls > video game tourneys any day. so you have a pretty good chance this year if you get the team the way you want it. I dont remember pinno being up there last year but i may have a bad memory. im assuming other cal players will be there though. CSS has always been one of the more popular tournemants so dont call first place just yet :) hopefully Ill get to play you guys with my team, good luck!

StormShadow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I checked out the link and I would be interested in giving it a try. If you want to bring a demo unit by my desk id be happy to hook it up to my rig and give some opinions :)
    (just because id have to listen to it through my specific sound card to do a valid comparison)

Are you going to be in the BYOC room during non exhibit hours? Or did you just pass on that altogether this year?

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    He's got a group of seats reserved for himself, so he better be coming. ;)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's a map where the team that wins the pistol round will win out. It's especially bad for T side. If you don't win pistol round, you're fucked.

You ever hear of a save round?? the map isnt that one sided in the uper level play, smokes and flashes if used well T side can open up a lot of attacks. and the emfamous awp corner CT side realy isnt that good in a match. you have one guy there watching tunnel. but people still get through.

<3 when people talk about cal-i friends, //edit //edit[/QUOTE]

Again, I play CAL-M, so, yes, I know what a save round is. I also know that a second-round win after a first-round loss is possible on dust2 but damned near impossible T-side on dust1. And the reason it's not played in competition anymore is a good one -- it's simply not a map which allows for any significant strategy. The thing about d2 is that there are multiple approaches to each bombsite. Multiple ACCEPTABLE approaches. On d1, the *only* approach which works is rushing A. And, yes, I did suggest Tides, which is another map with pretty limited options, but, at the very least, it's a more balanced map with few options.

I'd suggest cbble, too, but I hate cbble -- it's too freaking big and rotations are impossible.

(Regarding Mill: Nearly every pub I frequent uses Mill. It's well-known. And, even if not, it's easy to learn!)

babelfish on
This discussion has been closed.