As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]The new thread is not innovative. It is however FUCKING AMAZING.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Well, it's a little bit innovative, isn't it? ... guys?
    You guys have made the lesser races way too entertaining.

They just completely took me by surprise. Quaggan and Skritt quests in particular are quite a treat.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Love the thread title. True as true can be.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It is certainly fucking amazing how little playtesting they did of the dungeons.

Finally managed to get a few people together for Honor of the Waves, all my friends having given up on dungeons.

I give them another chance and they throw the Huntsman at me.

20 minutes of sitting around hitting him, and occasionally corpse-running when I don't have two evades and my block skill up to prevent bird nukage.

Dungeons in this game are shit. They are bad, they are blatantly untested, their mechanics are mostly deeply fucking uninteresting, they are not tuned well, their storyline is beyond awful, there are still a large number of bugs, they give little to no in-game reward, and their only redeeming grace is that they look amazing because the art team knew what they were doing, which is more than can be said for the dungeon team.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    After unsuccessfully straining to find a keybinding setup that I like, I have come to the conclusion that this game simply has too many damn buttons. If players are discussing which actions they're binding to their mouse buttons (beyond left and right) because they've run out of ergonomic, quickly-accessible keys for other vital commands, your game has too many commands.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Re item transmutation my mesmer now sports the necro's trickster eyes which looks awsome, really love transmutation stones.

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    It is certainly fucking amazing how little playtesting they did of the dungeons.

Finally managed to get a few people together for Honor of the Waves, all my friends having given up on dungeons.

20 minutes of sitting around hitting him, and occasionally corpse-running when I don't have two evades and my block skill up to prevent bird nukage.

Dungeons in this game are shit. They are bad, they are blatantly untested, their mechanics are mostly deeply fucking uninteresting, they are not tuned well, their storyline is beyond awful, there are still a large number of bugs, they give little to no in-game reward, and their only redeeming grace is that they look amazing because the art team knew what they were doing, which is more than can be said for the dungeon team.

Agreed completely, which is kinda baffling given the rest of the game.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Couldn't agree more about the dungeons, Bethryn.

They continue to be the only sour spot for me in what is otherwise a pretty damn impressive experience.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular

we’re very aware that our reward system is not up to par for dungeons. It is something we are actively working on right now, to try and find a solution for. I’m not going to talk about what our plans are because I don’t want us to be trapped in promises, but I will say this: We know, and are actively working on updating the system. - Robert Hrouda

I really enjoy most of the Explorer Dungeons. I think Story bosses can be a little absurd though.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular

Then... don't do them until they've been addressed by ArenaNet?

I mean, I assume there is stuff you like about the game, because you're playing it. I'm having to go out on a limb with that assumption though.

For what it's worth, I mostly agree. I still think this is the best game I've played for years.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    My gaming PC is on the fritzes and I haven't been able to play GW2 for the past three days.

Sucks my nuts. Red Dead Redemption and Torchlight 2 are good, but they're not GW2.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Huggles wrote: »

Then... don't do them until they've been addressed by ArenaNet?

I mean, I assume there is stuff you like about the game, because you're playing it. I'm having to go out on a limb with that assumption though.

For what it's worth, I mostly agree. I still think this is the best game I've played for years.

This is the best response to dungeons right now, but his frustration is understandable. It's hard to believe the dungeons in this game were actually tested by a human being at any point, given the state they're in.

Between this and the oft aggressively terrible personal storyline, PvE is not the hottest element of this game right now. General exploration and questing is pretty fun, everything else is mediocre to poor.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    I keep wanting to play other classes, especially Mesmer, but damnit

Warrior is just so much easier AND more effective in pve for equivalent gear and levels

:(

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Some of the personal story missions are fantastic

Some of them make me want to punch my monitor

override367 on
  • Options
    Ledneh wrote: »

Warrior is just so much easier AND more effective in pve for equivalent gear and levels

Warriors are overpowered, true in every MMO.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Is there a point to using Mystic over Master aside from cut down inventory space? Cause my back of the envelope calculation put Mystic crafting price at a little over 7g while the same number of Master Kit uses would run you about 1.6g. Or do I have my calculation wrong?

I think you must have your calculations wrong. I made 3 of the 250 use mystic kits and I don't think it took 7g.

I took a couple mystic stones (which cost a few gems, but not 7 gold worth) and then I think one each of the top 3 salvage kits?

The recipe is here:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Salvage_Kit

It looks like it costs ~28 silver plus whatever 3 mystic stones worth of gems cost. Given gold to gem conversion rates, I don't think that's anywhere near close to 7g.

Yea see that's what I was reading. Except I read "25 <salvage kit here>" as the number of salvage kits you have to buy. That would definitely throw my calculations off if it's just 1 each.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Some of the personal story missions are fantastic

Some of them make me want to punch my monitor

Override while I understand that events have focused wholly and utterly on you, it's obvious that the real center of attention here is none other than I, Plant Jesus.

You have my permission to fall to your knees and shed tears of joy at being allowed in my presence.
    Alternate Punchline:

Hear my wooden Microsoft Sam voice acting and despair, mortals

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    I completely disagree about this game not being innovative by the way, unless you stretch "innovative" so far where no MMO has been innovative since Everquest

There are a number of novel approaches to MMO staples in this game that I would definitely classify as innovative

• Options
    "Iterative" is more accurate than "innovative".

Nothing wrong with that, iterating is great.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    About plant Jesus:
    Trahearne seems like an interesting idea (the first Sylvari that will probably reach legendary hero status in Tyria) but I think he was very poorly introduced.

My best friend is dead and now with more than half of my personal story done, they introduce this massively important character out of nowhere rather suddenly and then almost immediately elect him to chosen one status before we can barely get to know him.

It's all abit crazy.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    About plant Jesus:
    Trahearne seems like an interesting idea (the first Sylvari that will probably reach legendary hero status in Tyria) but I think he was very poorly introduced.

My best friend is dead and now with more than half of my Personal Story done, they introduce this massively important character out of nowhere rather suddenly and then almost immediately elect him to chosen one status before we can barely get to know him.

It's all abit crazy.

And give him by a huge margin some of the worst voice acting in the game, ensuring that he's even more unlikeable.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    "Iterative" is more accurate than "innovative".

Nothing wrong with that, iterating is great.

Well yeah, in the same way the iphone was an iterative creation, since none of the technologies in it were new

override367 on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    ... Damn, that's unfortunate. I'm still in the early story quests, and I think the level 1-30 personal story is great (well, except for humans, which have been cliche and boring thus far). I do keep hearing that pretty much once you get through your Order quests that yeah, Magic Tree Jesus shows up and ruins the party :\

*edit* PUT ANOTHER WAY...

In Guild Wars: Prophecies and Guild Wars: Factions, YOU are the Chosen One, of a sort. In the first one, this was explicit, in that ERRYBODY was the Chosen Ones, and the Mursaat were trying to murder 'em (as far as I recall). In the second, well, you weren't as much TEH CHOZN 1 but you were the active party in a lot of what was going on. YOU brokered alliances, YOU went after Shiro, even if certain spoilers spoilers blah at the end wasn't your doing, YOU were still essential. Hell, in the first game, Rurik is set up to be the Chosen but then OH NO HE IS A ZOMBIE

(we know this in GW2 it's not a spoiler go away) (I'm spoilering Factions because not everyone here knows that stuff)

But then Nightfall

And Kormir

I love Kormir's concept, I love that we have this fantastic strong female african character but her place in the narrative is uh...

prooooblematic

And then Tree Jesus doesn't even have the saving grace of being a strong female african character (for which I will forgive a lot because they're so damn rare, arghl)

He's just

tree jesus

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    ... Damn, that's unfortunate. I'm still in the early story quests, and I think the level 1-30 personal story is great (well, except for humans, which have been cliche and boring thus far). I do keep hearing that pretty much once you get through your Order quests that yeah, Magic Tree Jesus shows up and ruins the party :\

Basically yeah.

The Norn personal storyline is fairly bad too, mostly due to really bad voice acting. Some seriously crappy wooden faux-viking voices there.

And of course, literally everything about Destiny's Edge.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Basically yeah.

The Norn personal storyline is fairly bad too, mostly due to really bad voice acting. Some seriously crappy wooden faux-viking voices there.

Honestly the ONLY member of Destiny's Edge I give a damn about is Zojja because she's so freaking adorable and funny. Once anyone else gets involved I'm like BORING SOAP OPERA BULLSHIT OKAY WHATEVERRRR

also I was so mad when I found out about Logan's bullshit in the backstory, I hate his stupid guts now. It's like goddamn, we could have avoided ALL of this if you had taken your mind off boners for ONE GODDAMN SECOND

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I would put lips to dick to get the Bayt skill point in Malchor's Leap fixed. That skillpoint has been cockblocking my 100% world completion for over a week.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I completely disagree about this game not being innovative by the way, unless you stretch "innovative" so far where no MMO has been innovative since Everquest

There are a number of novel approaches to MMO staples in this game that I would definitely classify as innovative

I'm of the opinion that those who say GW2 isn't innovative are simply being too reductionistic about MMORPG mechanics or too stringent about the use of the term innovative.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Basically yeah.

Honestly the ONLY member of Destiny's Edge I give a damn about is Zojja because she's so freaking adorable and funny. Once anyone else gets involved I'm like BORING SOAP OPERA BULLSHIT OKAY WHATEVERRRR

also I was so mad when I found out about Logan's bullshit in the backstory, I hate his stupid guts now. It's like goddamn, we could have avoided ALL of this if you had taken your mind off boners for ONE GODDAMN SECOND

If I had a choice between killing a giant dragon with my friends and saving my hot girlfriend who's also my political leader... it's a tough call.

Nerd boner on the one hand, real boner on the other hand.

488W936.png
  • Options

Basically yeah.

After playing through some of the norn story stuff, I kind of like Eir. She's pretty unremarkable, sure, but at least she isn't actively awful.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

*edit* PUT ANOTHER WAY...

In Guild Wars: Prophecies and Guild Wars: Factions, YOU are the Chosen One, of a sort. In the first one, this was explicit, in that ERRYBODY was the Chosen Ones, and the Mursaat were trying to murder 'em (as far as I recall). In the second, well, you weren't as much TEH CHOZN 1 but you were the active party in a lot of what was going on. YOU brokered alliances, YOU went after Shiro, even if certain spoilers spoilers blah at the end wasn't your doing, YOU were still essential. Hell, in the first game, Rurik is set up to be the Chosen but then OH NO HE IS A ZOMBIE

(we know this in GW2 it's not a spoiler go away) (I'm spoilering Factions because not everyone here knows that stuff)

But then Nightfall

And Kormir

I love Kormir's concept, I love that we have this fantastic strong female african character but her place in the narrative is uh...

prooooblematic

And then Tree Jesus doesn't even have the saving grace of being a strong female african character (for which I will forgive a lot because they're so damn rare, arghl)

He's just

tree jesus

That's funny because I feel like Tree Jesus is less instrumental in what's going on that I am. He may be important but he's nothing without my efforts.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I would put lips to dick to get the Bayt skill point in Malchor's Leap fixed. That skillpoint has been cockblocking my 100% world completion for over a week.

Well I was going to check tonight if it was fixed...but this nixes that idea!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    So, just so we're all aware, the definition of "innovate" is not just doing something new, but also making changes to something which is already established.

GW2 is certainly innovative, even if it's not new. You do not need to be new to innovate.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    You and Tree Jesus are total bros/bras if you're Sylvari, so he works great from that path.

Though it'd be nice if the story you start 1-30 carried through to 80 (main character in Sylvari 1-30 vanishes at the end basically), I thought the overall story ark between Personal, Order, then Pact worked well, and Tree Jesus never felt like he was stealing the show, after all
    You're his second in command and work with him before that. He's just the leader of the primary deal, you're the go-getter. Beyond that, he finishes his Wyld Hunt at the end, while yours (if you're Sylvari) is unfinished.

So I liked Tree Jesus overall, even if he wasn't a continuation of the 1-30 story.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular

Basically yeah.

She didn't even need his help. That might've been the result of bad writing though.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    You and Tree Jesus are total bros/bras if you're Sylvari, so he works great from that path.

Though it'd be nice if the story you start 1-30 carried through to 80 (main character in Sylvari 1-30 vanishes at the end basically), I thought the overall story ark between Personal, Order, then Pact worked well, and Tree Jesus never felt like he was stealing the show, after all
    You're his second in command and work with him before that. He's just the leader of the primary deal, you're the go-getter. Beyond that, he finishes his Wyld Hunt at the end, while yours (if you're Sylvari) is unfinished.

So I liked Tree Jesus overall, even if he wasn't a continuation of the 1-30 story.

Yeah it's a shame none of the other races get to hang out with Trahearne like Sylvari do. He helps out quite a few times early on in your story and his whole Wyld hunt aspect lends a lot more credence to his election as leader.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Avynte wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »

Yeah it's a shame none of the other races get to hang out with Trahearne like Sylvari do. He helps out quite a few times early on in your story and his whole Wyld hunt aspect lends a lot more credence to his election as leader.

That in turn kinda smacks of bad writing, or at least severe favoritism on the part of whoever was doing the Sylvari. We get it, they're the Destined Chosen Ones or whatever

(MEANWHILE WE ASURA PLOT TO CONQUER TYRIA)

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »

Funny story. Hopped on my warrior alt, started leveling him up, trying out different weapon combos. Wound up unwittingly running into an area that was 4 levels higher than me.

No problem, I think to myself, I do this on my mesmer all the time! I'll just use my superior dodging skills and counter abilities.

So I run up to the first guy and hit hundred blades. Wait, why is my health going down SHIT I DON'T HAVE ANY COUNTERS DODGE DODGE WHIRLWIND FUUUUUUU-dead.

I'm just using the rifle for now. :(

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

Basically yeah.

Zojja was an excellent sarcastic dickwad until level 30. Then destinys edge quests hit and she turns into a whiny 5 year old like the rest of them, so bloody annoying.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I do love the lead in for that quest with the kids on the stairs.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    reVerse wrote: »

Basically yeah.

After playing through some of the norn story stuff, I kind of like Eir. She's pretty unremarkable, sure, but at least she isn't actively awful.
    I didn't quite get why Eir is the leader. She's just kind of...there. Even moreso than the other members.

I mean, I get why Rytlock and Logan aren't it, one is a giant antisocial cat and the other has divided loyalties and uses his dick as a compass. Zojja is too cold and calculating and probably firmly in the not a people person category with Rytlock.

Caithe is the only one in the group that seems to have her shit together. Hell, I elect her to lead the damn team.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I've had a bit to drink but that's never stopped me from speaking my mind in the past!

What the fuck storyline are you guys playing? Prophecies and Factions were not your story, they were the story of Mhenlo and Cynn and Alesia and Aiden and every other fucking henchman in those two games. You tagged along to random ass places that made no sense and got backstabbed by people that barely existed before they backstabbed you. The story of factions can be summed up in one sentence: "random ass shit is goin bad, make friends and explore until the bad guy reveals himself and dies". At least in Guild Wars 2 I have a name, maybe I'm Traehearnes sidekick but at least things are a bit better than "There's this thing called infusion, go get it so we can defend the meaningless THK that we haven't mentioned before now and then take a boat to the place that actually matters that we've never mentioned for no reason at all". I mean come on "beyond awful"? Seriously? Have you played an MMO before? Maybe I'm alone in this, but every storyline mission in GW2 seemed to have an explicit war effort objective tied to it and it could not have been done without my awesome fireballs/bombs. That's a lot more than I got out of escort the henchies/heroes from GW.

TLDR; I'm a huge fanboy, I've gained 29 levels today, just ignore me but yeah dungeons are borked

oh yeah also, I've read the GW2 books, does anyone else feel like it's really hard to give a single shit about Destiny's Edge without Snaff? Why the fuck would anyone care about this shit without the backstory?

TannerMS on
This discussion has been closed.