As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Food, Good Friends and.... actually, no, just [Food Thread]

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    To begin with you start off with tiny bits. Then as you add more oil you can get away with more.

Alton Brown did an entire episode in it so assume there is something by him on YouTube which would be quite comprehensive.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Julia Child has a seriously idiot-proof recipe for mayonnaise. I highly recommend it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    One of the more amusing searches I've ever been on was trying to find Jalapenos up in Montreal.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can make it using a whisk, but you'll need to keep whisking it steadily to keep the emulsion while you drizzle in the oil. A blender just helps the process go faster and saves you the trouble of manually whisking.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    you will use a whisk to make mayo once

and only once

afterwards you will always find a damn blender or processor because fuck that noise

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    can suck a whole bag of dicks

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    yeah fuck whisking by hand sucks

Even a $30 hand blitzer is going to make your life so much easier

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Hey @stale , with that pork ragu, if I dont have a cast iron dutch oven (though god I want one) could I use a crock pot?

Also I'm excited for fall. My friends and I are have a big cooking day and so far I'm making apple turkey burgers, pumpkin cheesecake, and my dads chili recipe. Anyone else got sweet and savory fall treats?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    secret chili ingredient: beefs

why did I read that as teefs at first

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited September 2012
    *giggles* Nice typo! :o

[To Bucketman]

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    @bucketman, yes I suppose.

but get a dutch oven, they really are not that expensive for how versatile they are.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    We use to use them all the time in boy scouts to make cobblers. I really want some good, cast iron cookware, but I have other priorities right now

• Options
    You can get a 5qt Dutch oven with a lid and a 10" skillet for under 50 bucks.

That will cook 90% of anything you can come up with.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    And it will outlive your children

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    heh

dutch oven

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Well I'm going to a festivle saturday and theres always a dude making stuff on a forge out of iron and steel. Last year he had some pots and pans. I'll see what he has this year because if you can't trust a shirtless man in a leather apron to melt the planets blood for you overt molten fire, then who can you trust?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Don't ever say that again bucket man.

For the love of god.

• Options
    Bah. If a man on a nerd forum can't nerd out... But seriously, I might buy some iron stuff from him if it's reasonably priced

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I just astounded my coworker with some chicken. He was asking what spices I used because it tasted so good.

Salt. Pepper.

The magic ingredient was chicken thighs instead of breasts.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    mods can we get a poll in here on whether or not chili should be made with beans

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Some less-conventional chili con carne ingredients I use:

Dark chocolate (pretty common I suppose but yeah)
    Crushed pineapple (uncommon but really good)
    Mustard seeds (I made this one up myself and it is amazing)

broken image link
  • Options
    mods can we get a poll in here on whether or not chili should be made with beans

only if its white chicken chili.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yes I do, and yes it's true. Mayonnaise is really easy by hand as long as you add the oil at an incredibly slow drizzle, sadly no way of avoiding that. Maybe get someone else to pour while you whisk?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

only if its white chicken chili.

This is an unclear statement.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    All chili can have beans but no chili must.

• Options
    the beans/no beans argument is stupid
    do it how you want, both can be really good
    if someone doesn't want to eat some really good chili just because it has some beans in it, they can take their ball and go home and feel smug about their dumb stand

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    the beans/no beans argument is stupid
    do it how you want, both can be really good
    if someone doesn't want to eat some really good chili just because it has some beans in it, they can take their ball and go home and feel smug about their dumb stand

@Dead Legend fight fight fight

• Options
    I will pass up chili if there are beans in it. Not because I'm a snob about it but because I don't like beans.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Chili with beans forever

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    beans in chili are excellent

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I don't care for chili.

Whew, argument over!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I have had good chili both with and without beans.

I have seen a spoonful of peanut butter as an ingredient in chili to smooth the flavor.

Seriously, there are as many ways to make chili as there are people in the world.
    AND MY WAY IS THE CORRECT WAY

• Options
    Well I'm going to a festivle saturday and theres always a dude making stuff on a forge out of iron and steel. Last year he had some pots and pans. I'll see what he has this year because if you can't trust a shirtless man in a leather apron to melt the planets blood for you overt molten fire, then who can you trust?

and his shit will be 5x the cost of Lodge cast iron.

Jesus just buy the normal shit.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    No chili with peanut butter. No.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

Yeah if you have to pay more than the price of a Lodge pan, you'd better be getting a nice enamel on it or something.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    I have had good chili both with and without beans.

I have seen a spoonful of peanut butter as an ingredient in chili to smooth the flavor.

Seriously, there are as many ways to make chili as there are people in the world.
    AND MY WAY IS THE CORRECT WAY

My dad has ways dipped peanut butter sandwiches in chili, I always passed it off as a weird thing that just he did. But then I went to a chili house on the Purdue campus that offered them as a side and now I'm wondering if this isn't a great idea.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

Surely this is something we don't even need to argue, right?

• Options

dealwit.gif

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »

Yeah if you have to pay more than the price of a Lodge pan, you'd better be getting a nice enamel on it or something.

I mean I have some vintage Griswold and Wagner that are hundreds of dollars a piece from the turn of the century.

doesn't mean I'm going to exclusively use those.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Surely this is something we don't even need to argue, right?

Yeah yeah and peanut butter supposedly doesn't belong on hamburgers and no pineapple on pizza.

o6eOM.gif

belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.