As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DayZ Standalone] Early Access now available on Steam

• Options
    Jester814Jester814 Registered User regular
    I decided to do something a little different this video, which will be nice for the people that want longer videos. I decided to show the entire section of gameplay from when we first take fire to the final shot. This was to show the thought proccess, coordination, and tactics we use as a two man team to approach the threat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqc1AtXB_g4

• Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Was playing on Lingor yesterday. Met a friendly and followed him into a little shanty town, where I kinda lost him. I never really got a good look at him. After I finished looting the houses, I saw a guy running around with an axe. I assumed he was the same guy and didn't really mind him. Then I heard flies... Turns out this axeman had killed the guy I came into town with. He tried to take a swing at me, missed. I ran into a nearby house for cover, I only had 1 bullet in my revolver. He emerges from a house, just standing there, looking for me. I take a shot at him, not sure if I hit him or not. He starts running around and screaming "any friendlies in here ?". He was gushing blood all over.

Then I got kicked because of a script restriction. What the hell does that even mean ?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Lingor is pretty good. I've been having a pretty great time fucking about in it with Kakos/Ryke/Mango/Beorn.

Lingor seems to behave differently from Chernarus in that people will actually attempt to work together. Maybe it's the side chat. I actually met up with some guys to trade my SAW for STANAG magazines (I finally found an M16A4 ACOG) and nobody killed each other! It was impressive.

Me and Ryke then attempted to track them down and kill them anyways, though.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Also, more weapons need intermediate scopes like the ACOG. An AK with a PSO or an M14/AR-10/FAL with an ACOG would be sublime.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I haven't gone more than an hour without being killed by a hacker the last several times I've played ugh

• Options
    Private hives, bro. Me, Ryke, Kakos, Beorn, and a few others have been playing on Lingor and I've yet to run into a hacker.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I finally logged in this weekend. In the time it took me to go prone, alt-tab out, look at a map to see where I was, and alt-tab back in, a guille <sp?> suited gentleman stood over me and shot me.

Reconnected, different spawn point. Ran to my right (didn't want to look at a map), saw a building, skirted the area, laid down to get a better look at my approach, some kid walks up says , "Hey." "Hey." shoots me.

Hoped they each liked my bandage and pain killer.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    DayZ Commander. For when you don't want to get shot in the face.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Yesterday I joined a Finnish server with sidechat. A bunch of giys were talking "spawn me a car !" "spawn us a chopper", I swiftly left that server, never to go back.

Another server, found a dead guy with SVD camo, all the equipment you can have. Minutes later, same dude is just as decked out.

A couple of days ago we found one of those medical crates on the hill overlooking Elektro or Cherno, it had everything possible inside it.

I think I need a break from this game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Best barracks I've yet seen in the Prison on Lingor.

M107, M4A1 CCO SD, M16A2, a PDW, and an AKM. Ammo for the lot. All in just one of the four barracks there.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Played Lingor with 2 others.
    I see a guy in a house and shoot him with my Enfield.
    He asks in side chat "Who just shot me?"
    I say "Sup bro,been stalking you for a few minutes now :)"
    10 seconds later a guy teleports right next to me and kills me.

Day Z is a harsh mistress.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    I finally picked up NVGs and a DMR (I had the SVD camo, but only until I could find the NVs for night-ops). Now I have to figure out where I'm actually going to 'live'--preferably in a place with vehicles and tents.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    This game seems broken

• Options
    mrt144 wrote: »
    This game seems broken

This is a good post.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, half of me is thinking about where to go to start being a jerk and the other half is screaming to eject now while I actually have gear and go play Lingor. You want to talk about a harsh mistress? Try spawning in SE Lingor, it's full-on Serpent Queen there.

tuxkamen on

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    My main source of enjoyment in this game is taking out sniping newbie killers. That or getting on the ATV a mate and I found and finding duping tents and running em over

I really have to try Lingor at some point

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Tef wrote: »
    My main source of enjoyment in this game is taking out sniping newbie killers. That or getting on the ATV a mate and I found and finding duping tents and running em over

I really have to try Lingor at some point

Hanging out around Elektro and finding the guys who camp the town with sniper rifles is one of the best parts of this game.

Course, at one point I was on Sniper Hill, sniping bandits in town and someone got me, so I guess it's possible that some of them are not, in fact, horrible PKers.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    What I need is some good songs to pipe over chat when I kill bandits.

At the moment I've got the intro to Regulate but I'd like some others to mix it up/be a bit more clever

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tell me the spots where snipers are most commonly found ? I've had no luck hunting them so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Jurgen_ wrote: »
    Tell me the spots where snipers are most commonly found ? I've had no luck hunting them so far.

when people mention they're hunting snipers in elektro, they almost invariably mean they're scouting around "sniper hill" - the huge, forested hill to the east that overlooks the second, more open fire station on the outskirts of the city. less commonly people will just be prowling around the northern hilly ridges that overlook both cherno and elektro, looking for unaware survivors and other snipers.

I haven't logged on dayz in a good long time, mostly waiting for lingor to be accessible to the technologically inept. spent a good three hours trying to make lingor work from dayz commander, never got into a single lobby that didn't spit me back out saying "invalid key to play this map".

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Jurgen_ wrote: »

My best luck has been on the hill South of Vysota, the hill West of Cherno/North East of Balota, Pik Kozlova/the rise directly East of Kozlova and once out at Dobryy but that place wasn't that good

If I play for 2-3 hours, I'll get usually 3-4 people on a moderately busy server. It's hard to predict though; sometimes I'll get a shitload of people, other times I won't see a soul

The Sobors are good for finding PKers too, but I find it's more dangerous because people who are looting the town will usually come and investigate gunshots and they usually are relatively geared up

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Finally took the plunge and bought Arma II: Combined Ops off of Steam. Planning on getting DayZ and the DayZ Commander later once it's done.

I am really gonna regret this shit, aren't I?

Does anyone have any other server suggestions? Likely ones that are not filled with hackers and are relatively fun for a newbie like myself?
    I will probably give The Clam Bake server a try once I get my bearings in.... unless it's better if I try it there first?

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    The only way to make dayz more newbie friendly is play with mates

They don't have rookie servers or anything like that

Private servers are around which help mitigate hackers but I dunno if that will get you banned because I've never tried to play on one

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Firebird wrote: »
    Finally took the plunge and bought Arma II: Combined Ops off of Steam. Planning on getting DayZ and the DayZ Commander later once it's done.

I am really gonna regret this shit, aren't I?

Does anyone have any other server suggestions? Likely ones that are not filled with hackers and are relatively fun for a newbie like myself?
    I will probably give The Clam Bake server a try once I get my bearings in.... unless it's better if I try it there first?

There are no PA servers active anymore, so that idea's out.

Me and a group of cronies have been putzing around Lingor, which is a bit more difficult but plays a bit different than Chernarus.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I gotta write these down and go hunting ! Just 30 minutes of work left.

A while back I said how rarely I encountered hackers, now it seems that every server has them. I haven't met a friendly in a looong time, everyone shoots on sight.

Also some of the places you spawn to, are just ridiculous. I am not gonna spend 20 minutes just to run to the nearest proper town. There should be more bigger cities in the game, that could also help the kos mentality. Right now Cherno and Elektro are a bit too crowded with a 50 player server and everyone is shit scared when meeting a survivor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lingor!

Seriously though I can't recommend it enough. People are generally pretty friendly and we've met a dozen different people who all appreciate help and reciprocate it. Less hackers because of the private hive, which generally means the server is more closely moderated.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Yesturday me and some friends encountered hackers on just about every server we tried. Bloody annoying.

Also how hard is it for server admins to put proper GMT+X in the server name so you dont join a server thats pitch black if you dont want to. Unless its a full moon and clear sky its bloody hard to navigate at night until you get proper gear.

• Options
    Server restarts tend not to keep the time consistent, so sometimes after a restart it'll be 6 PM, 3 PM, 9 AM, etc.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Lingor!

Seriously though I can't recommend it enough. People are generally pretty friendly and we've met a dozen different people who all appreciate help and reciprocate it. Less hackers because of the private hive, which generally means the server is more closely moderated.

Oh so now Lingor is cool huh, but not when I wanted to play it? :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Well yeah sure now that it's not a nightmare to get running and other people are willing to play it with me.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    My first few sojourns around the edges of the map did not turn up any vehicle caches. However, by looking at some of the more remote vehicle spawns, I did encounter more...uh, I guess the term would be 'seeded' tents that were set up by the server admins on my preferred server. This one was in a tree and protected by barbed wire, making it extra-annoying...but once I got it free, it had a Bizon, an M107, a full set of gear that I already had, blood bags, and other goods. I promptly chucked all the ammo and waited for restart, at which point it all regenerated.

Meh. So much for being a jerk. On the positive side, I know what to do if I need goggles in the future.

I've run into a few of these tents so far. One is a vehicle repair shack, one is an ammo dump (overlooking Novy, so not very safe to check). I like the _concept_, but at the same time I can't imagine that it's good for the health of the game in the long run.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    So Kakos/Ryke/myself all had some pretty fucking crazy happenings in Lingor.

Me and Ryke log in and meet up at the research lab, then head up to the prison to meet with Kakos who has 997 blood. We blood him up while reading in chat that there is a helicopter flying around picking people up.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear; the helicopter flies over our head at max speed maybe 200 feet above us. We hit the deck and wait to see if it lands, but it doesn't come back around for a few minutes so we carry on to check the barracks. While I'm checking the barracks and Kakos is killing zombies, we hear the helicopter again - and this time, it's sticking around. Ryke gets ready to take out the pilots and the tail rotor with his M14. Kakos and I ready our Kobra and M16A4 ACOG.

Well, we never get the chance to take out the helicopter, because as it turns out, they were attempting a fast landing into the prison so as to get in and out as fast as possible. The idea is sound enough, but their execution was lacking. The pilot clipped the barracks with the tail rotor as he tilted back to stop, and the helicopter goes up in a glorious explosion. The problem was that I was still in the adjacent barracks. I get knocked out from the explosion of the helicopter and I call out for either Ryke or Kakos to come quickly and with caution. Ryke approaches the barracks and notices that a man outside the helicopter with an M24 is bandaging himself. Well, neither I nor Kakos were wielding an M24 at the time, so that poor sap got a handful of .308s to the chest. Ryke trades his M14 AIM for a DMR from one of the corpses. I get healed up, we loot the corpses of the helicopter (5 in total) and make our way out of the prison, laughing at the absurdity of the entire scenario.

The fun continued, however!

We began running back down southwest to the research lab to check for ammo for my M16A4 that I had found at the barracks (and this weapon will come into play shortly). We stock up and begin running towards the barracks northwest of Corazon. We check it and begin to leave, but Kakos goes into a building then dies from some form of terrain bug. Me and Ryke carry on towards Calamar when Ryke notices zombie spawns at a compound 500 meters out. Too far for us to have spawned. We're up on a hill, so we've got a good vantage point. Ryke sets up his DMR while I keep eyes on with my ACOG. We get eyes on a player in a ghillie suit leaving the compound towards the east, and I press forward to engage him at a more suitable distance. He begins to cross the waterlogged landbridge, and I light him up from approximately 200 meters out with the 16. With no cover, he panics and runs about after I get two shots on his chest. Cut to the end, after a few grenades thrown both ways, we lose him in the brush.

Now, this whole time, he's typing in sidechat about somebody shooting at him with what sounds like an M4 (close enough, but it confirms who we're shooting at). He then, approximately 2 minutes after us losing him, calls out that he hears what sounds like a UAZ driving down the road. Sure enough, I'm prone near that road and I see the very jeep mentioned in chat. And lucky us - it's headed directly for me in a straight line. With my ACOG and a steady pulse/breath (as I had been prone near the road for a period of time) I put 5 rounds towards the windshield, and I see a plume of blood as one bullet domes the driver. The jeep skids off the side of the road and comes to a stop. Three more rounds into the passenger side windows and the other two occupants of the jeep are eliminated. Three players down in approximately 12 seconds.

Ryke and myself decide it's a good time to disengage, so we skip looting the bodies and simply drive the UAZ away from the scene. We drive for approximately 500 meters before I pull off into the forest. I try to lure the ghillied player near us by mentioning a white Hilux that was just off the road as a meeting point. He doesn't bite, but as I'm typing in chat I hear the rumble of another engine in the distance. It gets closer and as the sound becomes clearer, I identify it as a motorcycle. Sure enough, over the hill to our east comes a single man on a motorcycle, trying to switchback his way down the hill to prevent himself from fusing with a tree. He stops, and I take the shot. Three rounds later, another dead player. As this happens, the player who we had confirmed to be the ghillied man gets killed and I hear an unsilenced M4A1/A3. Too close, if an M4 is audible. We get back in the jeep and begin driving away from the scene, leaving the motorcycle and corpse behind.

We're trying at this point to meet up with Rak, who just spawned to the far southeast in Chupinka. The fastest way to get there is to follow the two-lane highway all the way down. Well, we drive along this road, tearing ass, stopping for nothing (I have Ryke navigating for me here; it was like a scene from the World Rally Championships.) As we enter Corazon, we take a few shots from what sounds like an AK-74. Luckily, while a round hit the rear passenger side tire and caused it to go flat, we manage to blaze forth and escape unharmed.

Not much else happens on the way down to Chupinka, where we pick up Rak and begin heading towards Calamar to place the jeep in the forest for later. On the way, we read in chat that somebody is in Victorin shooting at zombies. Can't allow that. I change our course and we swing up to Victorin and sure enough, there's zombies about in the town. Ryke goes up on a hill with his DMR and scans the town, noticing evidence of player activity (zombie trails, new spawns too far from us to be ours, etc.) Then he sees the man himself come up from a staircase onto the roof. Three rounds with the DMR, one dead man. We hop back into the UAZ and begin heading back down towards a place to hide the vehicle.

Eventually a decent spot is found, and we call it a night. One of the most entertaining and amusing nights of DayZ I've yet experienced.

TL;DR - Meet up with Kakos/Ryke at Lingor prison, helicopter crashes into barracks almost killing me. Walk southeast towards Corazon, kill some people in a jeep, steal the jeep. Kill a man on a motorcycle, leave the motorcycle. Drive southeast to pick up a friend, taking shots on the way, kill another person in a town near us at the time. Hide the jeep, call it a night.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Jester814Jester814 Registered User regular
    I keep getting requests to show my "gearing up" process, so here is a video from me starting on the beach, getting fully geared, and having many a shenanigan with fellow 15th members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVbcKpFTla8

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Now that I have hit 80 in GW2 I can pull myself away from it.

Will have to get DayZ all up to date again.

I miss you guys. :(

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Well you wouldn't miss half of us if you would get in the GW2 teamspeak and play with us. Jeez.

(It's where we play DayZ, too)

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Which Lingor are you guys playing on?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Whichever has a decent amount of players on it, but it's either HTRUnity/ECWC/Wheelchair Warriors #2.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Hm. Don't see any of those on DayZ Commander...had to add them normally.

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    So I died last night... Was searching the small barracks near the northern research lab on my way to meet Ryke aka Lizzy Borden. Decide to check the last one with my sd-9mil out and see a player silhouetted in the doorway. I quickly swing around to the side door while pulling out my murder cannon(mk-48). I swing around the corner and spray a constant barrage of 308 down the length of the barracks. Guy turns raising his assault rifle (It had to be an akm). Suddenly we're both dead on the spot. He must have gotten a lucky head shot. There's no way he should had me. Such is life in dayz. Later Ryke swung by to loot our bodies but we'd been hidden. Somebody on that server got a new toy. So back to loot-n-scootin. This life I'll stick to something quieter. If I had out an assault riffle clearing the barracks I'd have had him. I still wonder If should have tried to pop a couple of 9mm in his grill. Better option would have been to lob the frag I had into the building and then mopped up if needed...

TLDR got shot lost mk48, killed other dude

DS0mQJS.png